Cycling licence considered as long-term measure: Bangkok Administration

webfact

This kind of skewed logic has "little big man-ism" written all over it. Or Banana Republic buffoonery. (Idi, Jean-Paul, Papa, your legacy lives on.) This was decided at a meeting, and meetings are supposed to discuss the pros and cons. But I wonder how many people at that meeting understood the total illogic of the proposal and fought against it? Surely there must have been some? Surely not everyone on the BMA is that dumb?

Surely?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why didn't I think of that. Making this all the fault of the cyclists...yeah.

And by cyclists having a license, drivers will never hit them again, because...........well because............they have a license...isn't it obvious.

A cyclist does have every right to use the road ,but not as a playground,like the cycle club loonies do round here. We have park tracks paved ,never use them , no audience I guess.they need to behave like the touring riders who are no prob imo

I've got a better idea - use the money budgeted for this nonsensical idea on building a network of swimming pools (lap pools, aerobic pools etc). An excellent alternative for those who fear long stretches on the roads - great exercise, and in the aerobic pools, you don't even have to know how to swim. Also great for older folk.

(Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of cycling.)

Yes typical Thai, Nowhere in the world except Thailand will cyclists be required to have a "cycling license" cheesy.gif

The general way things are solved in Thailand, put the blame on the victim and do everything completely opposite to whatever is done elsewhere.

As far as I know, the majority of cycling enthusiasts are also cars drivers or motorbikes drivers, thus already owners of a driving license or, for car, or and for motorbikes.
So these drivers are supposed to know the rules for driving and caution for driving. Why then still a other license whose rules of Good Practice are the same
??????

I think this guy who wants to introduce this license has never seen a bicycle before and certainly never learned to ride a bicycle

What happens to the thousands of kids (and adults) renting tandems in places like Bang Saen and Cha Am on the weekends? Does each person on the bike have to have a licence, or just the person steering?

Nothing more than money grabbing.

Expect to see toll booths on either end of pedestrian crossings next.

The less bicycles that are on the road the safer it is for every one...

Banning all bicycles from the road would protect the cycle nuts from

themselves.

Banning all cars would be more effective, more environmentally sound and just as narrow minded a solution.

The test includes how to prevent a drunken driver hits you from behind?

Just position the cyclist's licence above the tail light and it will work like an amulet. May The Force Be With You, well at least the BMA.

I am a cyclist, on first hearing this I thought what a load of lunacy.

However on reflection consider that:

• Cyclists are not required to follow any road rules
  • Cyclists ride abreast of each other, blocking lanes and making driving difficult
  • Cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road and force oncoming cyclists to ride around them,veering into the traffic and their blindside, and have to look back to ensure they are not riding into traffic.(the cyclist who is driving into the traffic and can see ahead, stays on the inside lane - Lunacy)
  • Cyclists include those poor trades who cycle with attached carts and don't seem to care a fig for anything happening around them

Sure there needs to be better driving standards, but cyclists also have a responsibility to participate in an agreed system.

This is a good idea...The roads are for motorized vehicles ..We need more taxes

fees and regulation of bicycles. Bicycles should be banned from the roads for their own safety.

Sure I think its fine that children ride bikes around the neighborhood. But most people

when they get older put the the bike away.

That seems to be the attitude here, which they are trying to change. In my city in the US, all major streets have bike lanes. If you ask me, bicyclists (who commute) should be getting tax rebates! And this is coming from a car driver by the way, who enjoys getting on the bike several days a week for pleasure.

I am a cyclist, on first hearing this I thought what a load of lunacy.

However on reflection consider that:

• Cyclists are not required to follow any road rules
  • Cyclists ride abreast of each other, blocking lanes and making driving difficult
  • Cyclists ride on the wrong side of the road and force oncoming cyclists to ride around them,veering into the traffic and their blindside, and have to look back to ensure they are not riding into traffic.(the cyclist who is driving into the traffic and can see ahead, stays on the inside lane - Lunacy)
  • Cyclists include those poor trades who cycle with attached carts and don't seem to care a fig for anything happening around them

Sure there needs to be better driving standards, but cyclists also have a responsibility to participate in an agreed system.

You could change cyclists to motoribikes/cars and it also works

this story is very sad... it is 2015 and this is what they come up with?

a "solution" of no value what so ever.

and they broadcast this idea out to the world?

it is pathetic really and very disillusioning...

Cyclists are dam pest. Riding 4 abreast,hard to get past the Lycra Ninjas

Lets also stop people crossing the road. The hardship felt when I have to stop at a pedestrian crossing is getting too much to take. I might have to jump off the 23rd floor of my apartment soon

Come on guys!!

Someone is taking the p**s, not even a Thai politician can be that stupid??

Unless the honorable Minister of Tourism Mrs "wristband" Kobkarn has an equally airheaded twin!!

Is there a minimum education / qualification required to get a job at the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)?

BMA official to applicant : You are hopelessly under qualified, You'e Hired !

A bicycle licence test:

Ride along a narrow beam.

Remain stationary for one minute without putting a foot on the ground.

Display correct use of water bottle.

Ride for at least 50 meters with both hands off the handlebars performing a task of your choice :

Using a phone, bonus points for sending a text.

Checking a mirror and bursting pimples / combing hair / applying makeup

Edited by NongKhaiKid