'Thousands of boat people in dozens more camps'

webfact

'Thousands of boat people in dozens more camps'
NITIS NAJAREAN
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- There could be 10,000 boat people detained near the Thai-Malaysian border in more than 100 detention camps, held in custody by guards who are both locals and Rohingya, according to a top official in a humanitarian mission of the Chularatchamontree, Thailand's Muslim spiritual leader.

There could be up to 70 camps in Songkhla alone, scattered throughout the province and run by a network gangs. These may also cover Nakhon Si Thammarat and parts of Bangkok, said Ari Areef, chairman of the non-profit group Ummatee Thailand.

However, he said, there was insufficient evidence to back this claim, which could spur the ongoing crackdown on people traffickers and smugglers. Ari estimated that more than 1,000 bodies could eventually be found in the four southern provinces, saying it was now time for drastic suppression of Rohingya trafficking.

"All we need now is time and opportunity for good officials to expose and tackle the problem, and all truths would be revealed," he said.

Meanwhile, a senior internal security source said Article 44, a measure in the interim charter, is likely to be utilised to drive the ongoing crackdown on Rohingya trafficking, regardless of delay or success of a complete scan of detention camps and relevant illegal activities in southern provinces after a 10-day deadline imposed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Article 44, which gives broad and absolute power to Prayut, both as PM and coup leader, would enable quick consolidation of state authorities and pooling of relevant personnel to suppress trafficking gangs. The measures would include urgent transfers of police, military personnel or civilian officials suspected of being involved in crimes or "incompetent" in their jobs and the appointment of immediate replacements.

Ari said a group of Rohingya who fled persecution in Myanmar about five years ago started trafficking operations, but there was no torture or assault of fellow Rohingya at that time. They only demanded fees for transporting fellow Rohingya to destinations such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia through Thailand after leaving Myanmar and Bangladesh.

Violence, torture and murder had been committed later, while ransoms were demanded from relatives of boat people held captive back in their original home areas in Bangladesh and Myanmar. But Ari did not specify whether the violence or demands for money was done by Rohingya or local people. Ransom demands ranged from Bt20,000 to Bt120,000, he said. The abuse of Rohingya varied depending on the traffickers and guards. Men were often beaten during telephone calls, so their relatives could hear their suffering and would send money. Adult women were raped by smugglers/traffickers and crews on fishing trawlers if detained on vessels, and later sold as prostitutes in Malaysia or to rubber plantations to "serve" male rubber tappers.

Rohingya men would be killed in front of all others, if they reacted or attempt to help the women - to scare off those trying to resist.

Young children of both sexes were separated from their mothers and cared for by outsiders, but details of their fate were unknown.

Those whose relatives agreed to cooperate were often treated better or received better welfare after the gangs received money, but ransoms were often demanded again - with the traffickers lying and saying they had not received money that had been sent, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thousands-of-boat-people-in-dozens-more-camps-30259867.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-12

More than 10, 000 slaves? 100 camps? In an area where the Thai military have been conducting a major counter insurgency campaign for years?

Either they have decided that running a slave trafficking operation is a preferable (and more profitable) operation than running a CS operation, or they have been running such a mickey mouse counter insurgency campaign that they were unaware of the slave trafficking operation.

Edited by JAG

These Thai discoveries of mass graves and genocide of Rohingya merits UN inspection.

How many countries officially condemned Thailand over these prison camps and mass graves, or the 4000 slaves recently discovered in Indonesia? How many human rights groups have for that matter?

Doesnt seem the World is really all that outraged and would really prefers inexpensive seafood in their markets.

These Thai discoveries of mass graves and genocide of Rohingya merits UN inspection.

How many countries officially condemned Thailand over these prison camps and mass graves, or the 4000 slaves recently discovered in Indonesia? How many human rights groups have for that matter?

Doesnt seem the World is really all that outraged and would really prefers inexpensive seafood in their markets.

Yes, where is the visible international outrage.

Are we all too busy focused on the evil ISIS in the ME, I think so.

I am really glad to hear this...as something is being done while a whole lot more still has to be done to correct this situation.

However, we all know it will continue to go sideways in many respects as there is money to be made by so many people from the smallest player up to the King Pins who profit from the ongoing human dilemma.

This will not be corrected the way we all hope for with a sudden stop to all this profiteering resultant of human misery.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

I have grave concerns for the many trapped on boats on the sea, is this a tragedy of unimaginable scale ready to unfold.

An armada of floating coffins or a tsunami of bodies to be washed ashore on a lonely coast.

When will the so called civilised world intervene, given recent history we won't. Did we rush in and assist the victims of the Rwandan genocide.

Yes, where is the visible international outrage.

Are we all too busy focused on the evil ISIS in the ME, I think so.

I think its more about the furry consumers and corporations would unleash on these groups/governments, if they suddenly had to pay more for the products they buy. IMHO

Edited by dcutman

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They were condemned by 2 Human rights groups last , week , the C+P are on the original thread regarding the camps

“Trafficking of persons in Thailand has long been out of control, something that senior officials have admitted to Human Rights Watch and others,” said Brad Adams, Asia director. “The finding of a mass grave at a trafficking camp sadly comes as little surprise. The long involvement of Thai officials in trafficking means that an independent investigation with UN involvement is necessary to uncover the truth and hold those responsible to account.”

Edited by ExPratt

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They were condemned by 2 Human rights groups last , week , the C+P are on the original thread regarding the camps

“Trafficking of persons in Thailand has long been out of control, something that senior officials have admitted to Human Rights Watch and others,” said Brad Adams, Asia director. “The finding of a mass grave at a trafficking camp sadly comes as little surprise. The long involvement of Thai officials in trafficking means that an independent investigation with UN involvement is necessary to uncover the truth and hold those responsible to account.”

Boy, a whole 2 HWR groups!! Pretty impressive! Did the other deliver as much outrage, as this Brad Adams you have quoted? We still cant find any govts that have, right?

Boy, a whole 2 HWR groups!! Pretty impressive! Did the other deliver as much outrage, as this Brad Adams you have quoted? We still cant find any govts that have, right?

I doubt Governments or UN will condemn them until an inquiry , if any, is conducted. They are not stupid and know what has been going on I'm sure

An operation of this scale could not have escaped the attention of the authorities. Makes you wonder how deeply involved they were?

Exactly. Especially with the amount of Armed forces stationed in that part of Thailand

This morning on Sky News, was the first time I had seen anything on Thailands Human Trafficking and slavery disgrace, and it dont look good for the LOS!

The world needs to know, and maybe just maybe Thailand will face up to this inhumanity and do something!!!!!

This morning on Sky News, was the first time I had seen anything on Thailands Human Trafficking and slavery disgrace, and it dont look good for the LOS!

The world needs to know, and maybe just maybe Thailand will face up to this inhumanity and do something!!!!!

Sane as that on BBC world .8000 stuck on boats because of the camps closing , just shows you how many must have been coming in, Terribly sad for these people, Some people will do absolutely anything for money

Wow...I guess, this camouflage- stuff is more like an invisibility cloake!

Must have been or a tear in the time space continuum

Let me just get that straight: we are talking about the South, right?!

Daily explosions, killings of teachers and monks and Muslims as well...terrorism...insurgence all around.

Am I wrong, or shouldn't this be the best monitored area in the whole country?

Military on super- high alert?

...and still they want to tell me, that NO ONE ...EVER...noticed dozens of illegal camps, full of thousands of illegal Rohingha-slaves?

How dumb do they think, the rest of the world is?

Daily explosions, killings of teachers and monks and Muslims as well...terrorism...insurgence all around.

...and still they want to tell me, that NO ONE ...EVER...noticed dozens of illegal camps, full of thousands of illegal Rohingha-slaves?

"There could be up to 70 camps " You would have thought that had they actively been searching for "Insurgents" they would stumble across these each individual camp at least once. You would also think in a heavily militarized area the movement of groups numbering in the 100s would be noticed. So they either ignored it got involved in it or they just sit in the Barracks and play cards until someone throws a bomb

... so, anyone really surprised by 'fast rising numbers' of people trafficked or the scale of the whole enterprise?

Yeah, didn't think so!

Well US must have know something as they stuck Thailand and Malaysia in Tier 3 for Human Trafficking

If they really crack down on this it will hurt Both Thailand and Malaysia economies. No cheap labour means a decent wage must be paid coming out of the Tea Money

Will this be the revelation that exposes to the world what the Thai military it really is?

How will the Prayuth fans so prominent on this forum react?

An operation of this scale could not have escaped the attention of the authorities. Makes you wonder how deeply involved they were?

Exactly. Especially with the amount of Armed forces stationed in that part of Thailand

----------------------------

I'm not trying to deny that their must have been involvement of Thai authorities but surely such a process could not have happened without the active help of the Myanmar and the Malaysian governments also.

It couldn't have ben going on as long as it has without the help of all three governments in the area.

Every possible sanction that the West can bring to bear should be used against Thailand until they can prove beyond any doubt that this will not happen again. UN monitors should be sent in to observe everything that happens and is done to prevent further criminal activity.

Using words like '' All we need now is time and opportunity for good officials to expose and tackle the problem and all truth will be revealed '' just does not cut it in the real World. Where will enough '' good officials '' come from in a land where the vast majority of 'officials' see it as their God given right to extort money in any way they can? As for 'Truth'; well, lies get half way around the World before the truth has a chance to get its pants on and in this country the truth is in very short supply at any time.

----------------------------

I'm not trying to deny that their must have been involvement of Thai authorities but surely such a process could not have happened without the active help of the Myanmar and the Malaysian governments also.

It couldn't have ben going on as long as it has without the help of all three governments in the area.

Not ministers and PMs obviously but local government officials , Police , Immigration