Cyclists press for progress of a case in which three cyclists were killed

webfact

Cyclists press for progress of a case in which three cyclists were killed

12-5-2558-15-27-23-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- About 50 Sansai district’ club cyclists rallied in front of Doi Saket district police station in Chiang Mai to present a bouquet of flowers to the police and to enquire about the progress of the case in which three of their colleagues were killed by a car on May 3.

In that incident, a female university student, driving under the influence of alcohol, rammed her car into a group of cyclists riding on the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai highway killing three cyclists. The driver herself was also injured.

Ms Kongkarn Yonglun, a relative of one of the dead victims, said that the families of the victims had rejected the insurance company’s offer of 500,000 baht compensation for each of the victims in return for their withdrawal of the charges against the driver.

She said that the families as well as two injured cyclists who are yet to receive any compensation from the perpetrator had wanted to sue the driver in order to set an example for the other drink drivers.

Pol Maj Suriyant Chansai, the enquiry officer in charge of the case, said that the driver was still being hospitalized but she however admitted that she had alcoholic drinks before driving and agreed to take responsibility for the incident.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cyclists-press-for-progress-of-a-case-in-which-three-cyclists-were-killed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-12

Still hospitalised? Someones buying time. She has a broken arm. That would have been plastered up same day as accident now ten days ago. There is no way with private hospital charges that she would still want to be in the hospital now, other than that something very fishy is, as ever, going on.

Just watch her walk away with no jail time despite killing three people whilst drunk in charge of a car.

Is it appropriate for the insurance company to be negotiating for the victims to withdraw charges?

absolutely 100% correct, no insurance company has the right to decide whether a person is prosecuted or not, compensation should still and will be paid, rather lame attempt to get out of paying, and the sum involved is an insult to say the least

Blocking the road on bikes ? Recipe for disaster... Headlines "Truck driver plows into 357 cyclists, brake failure thought to be cause of accident. The driver fled the scene"....

Have a wall of trucks front and back for protection wink.png

Edited by MESmith

For starters the 3rd party insurance (if she has it) should be paying out 5 million baht for each death as a given. not negotiable. The injured cyclists should be starting a personal injury claim against the driver insurance company starting at a 1 million minimum.

so we are at 17 million?

Seems the insurance company are trying to minimise their loss not necessarily protect the driver.....they dont give a shit about her unless they can prove the cyclists drove in front of her.

On a side story; a friend of my wife was killed last week on her motorbike by a drunk Wing 41 officer; headline news at the funeral was that the perretrators family were offering 100k baht for the family to sweep it all under the table. should be driving and working career over; then locked up for 3yrs.

Doesnt justice here make you angry

Still hospitalised? Someones buying time. She has a broken arm. That would have been plastered up same day as accident now ten days ago. There is no way with private hospital charges that she would still want to be in the hospital now, other than that something very fishy is, as ever, going on.

Just watch her walk away with no jail time despite killing three people whilst drunk in charge of a car.

With the way the system works here I think 500,000 baht is unfair but I doubt if the courts will give them more and the lawyers want a big chunk. Its a shame really. I like the fact that the bike riders all showed up at the police station but they should have had a petition not flowers to present. I believe that something funny is going on as she should have been released from the hospital a long ago and jailed. There is something rotten in Denmark here.

I'm interested in watching this unfold "the Thai way". Hubby goes for walks around the moat early in the morning and he said the Sunday morning bicycle group at Thapae Gate this past Sunday was huge, the biggest he's ever seen. Vast majority Thai people. This was the week after the "accident" (i.e. murder) The good leader of this country lead off with this event in his weekly "let's all be happy" address to the country on Friday. The Thai people are very much up-in-arms about this. Bicycling for health is a trendy thing to do now. The rejection of the insurance company's claim is a first step. So is the photo op gathering at the Doi Saket police station with flowers. I think it's going to escalate. There's a good reason the murderer hasn't made a public appearance.

The idea of a huge bike rally blocking the road to Doi Saket isn't too far fetched.

Edited by NancyL

It's not just cyclists - The Daily Mail is reporting 2 elderly holiday- makers killed by Thai driver as they were walking on the pavement in Koh Samui. "The 33-year-old driver of the Toyota was later charged with negligence and given a two-year suspended jail sentence with one year's probation.

He was also ordered to pay a fine of 50,000 Baht, approximately £950.'

Thai justice!

What would TAT say?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3077732/Best-friends-killed-speeding-motorist-car-ploughed-walked-dream-holiday-wives-Thailand.html#ixzz3ZyXrLL9O
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

For starters the 3rd party insurance (if she has it) should be paying out 5 million baht for each death as a given. not negotiable. The injured cyclists should be starting a personal injury claim against the driver insurance company starting at a 1 million minimum.

so we are at 17 million?

Seems the insurance company are trying to minimise their loss not necessarily protect the driver.....they dont give a shit about her unless they can prove the cyclists drove in front of her.

On a side story; a friend of my wife was killed last week on her motorbike by a drunk Wing 41 officer; headline news at the funeral was that the perretrators family were offering 100k baht for the family to sweep it all under the table. should be driving and working career over; then locked up for 3yrs.

Doesnt justice here make you angry

If the woman is charged with drunk driving then her insurance is not valid and pays out nothing. What the insurance company is saying is that if the charges are dropped then they can at least pay out something. All fully comprehensive insurance cover here has a maximum payout on death which is normally 2 million baht, I cannot see the family having enough money to pay 5 mil for each claim, I might be wrong!!!

"...She said that the families as well as two injured cyclists who are yet to receive any compensation from the perpetrator had wanted to sue the driver in order to set an example for the other drink drivers..."

Why is it the victims have to pursue anything? This should all come AFTER the government has done it's job by prosecuting and sentencing the drunk driver to jail. The insurance companies are OBLIGATED to pay out with zero negotiation The insurance company has NO BUSINESS being involved in whatever the government decides to charge her with. But given the fact you can kill two innocent people (admittedly Falang tourists with no valve in this country) walking on a sidewalk in Phuket and get away with a two-year suspended sentence, then I'm sure she will get away with zero jail time unless the Thai people rise up and make a huge stink about this for the government.

Thailand is so upside-down with justice.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is it appropriate for the insurance company to be negotiating for the victims to withdraw charges?

absolutely 100% correct, no insurance company has the right to decide whether a person is prosecuted or not, compensation should still and will be paid, rather lame attempt to get out of paying, and the sum involved is an insult to say the least

I am sure someone has previously mentioned that if driving under the influence of alcohol (as she has admitted) then the insurance is invalid and the insurance does not have to pay out.

I dated a successful insurance agent in Washington State for a year. I got to see the "behind-the-scenes" operation. It is legalized extortion, and it's the same all over the world. These people have no souls and will do anything to pay out as little as they can get away with. "Like a good neighbor" my flaming @$$!!!

Only when it's within their own best interests to fork out the least amount of payment/s.

Am I right that this killer has still not made a public appearance, no photo, no video? She must be very very well connected. Like the Thai driver who killed two Englishmen walking along a road last week -- and got a 2-year suspended sentence.

Let's guess what this killer will get. I'll start the bidding with "2 weeks community service --- to be performed in Singapore".

And the RedBull killer. Whatever happened there after he went to Singapore for his health? Do we know?

In answer to recent posts, from a very recent personal experience I can assure all that when an accident occurs, a juggling act takes place between the people involved in the accident, the police, and the insurance company. In my case, the accident with a motor bike was in no way my fault, he ran into me from behind, and yet I was still forced by the police under threat of prosecution/ court hearing, and even jail time to pay out substantial "compensation" to a person whos fault the accident was.

At least the cyclists tragedy is a purely Thai affair, but I can assure everyone that the police here are always looking for a "compromise solution" almost it seems in league with the insurance companies.

Edited by PostmanPat

I'm a bicycle rider, and it's a tragedy that these riders were killed and injured.

But, perhaps this is an opportunity. The ONLY way the ridiculous (in)justice system here is going to change for the better is if the Thai public stands up and demands better.

No more "mai bpen rai" or "bad luck/karma" or all the other excuses to excuse and ignore criminal behavior and not hold those responsible responsible... with fair punishment befitting the crime. And no more prominent families walking away from crimes because they're prominent.

What should drunk driving as an adult causing multiple deaths and injuries get a person in a "justice" system??

Let's hope the bicycle riding community there, and the Thai public at large, finally says... enough is enough!!!

In answer to recent posts, from a very recent personal experience I can assure all that when an accident occurs, a juggling act takes place between the people involved in the accident, the police, and the insurance company. In my case, the accident with a motor bike was in no way my fault, he ran into me from behind, and yet I was still forced by the police under threat of prosecution/ court hearing, and even jail time to pay out substantial "compensation" to a person whos fault the accident was.

The family of the young man were well connected and suddenly from nowhere produced "witnesses" ( there absolutely were no witnesses!!) to say it was my fault, and a "doctors note" to state he had a "serious injury" ( he had a bruised finger at worst!).....even the police forensic report photos showed that my car was hit from behind, and yet, a combination of the police and my own insurance company backed me into a corner by saying, well, do you really want it to go to court, judges are getting serious about bad driving and could throw you in jail....we suggest you pay some compo then it will all go away!!

My case was clearly one of those classic "Thai/ Foreigner accidents thus foreigner pays regardless of fault because foreigner richer than Thai". My insurance company fixed my car but refused to pay the compo because they said the compo was offered "voluntarily by me" thus they didnt have to pay it !!

At least the cyclists tragedy is a purely Thai affair, but I can assure everyone that the police here are always looking for a "compromise solution" almost it seems in league with the insurance companies.

That sounds like a nightmare. When things dont run smooth after the accident its important to have legal advise during these meeting at the Police station. What was your Lawyer advising whilst the Police and insurance company were putting pressure on you to take the blame?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am sure someone has previously mentioned that if driving under the influence of alcohol (as she has admitted) then the insurance is invalid and the insurance does not have to pay out.

A drunk driver recently hit my car parked outside my home. He had class 1 insurance. His insurance assessor told him that they would not pay for his car as he was drunk. However, he told me that his company would pay all my costs. He also said that is the norm in Thailand.

You know what the most amazing thing about this story is? There has actually been a follow-up. Usually there is a report of the accident and then - nothing. Looks like this one isn't going to go away.

Usually , it's like that but people who are cycling in Thailand on carbon frames bicycles aren't farmers but often civil servants and little or big industrialist ;

they are all well knowned in their cities

So the miss " HiSo " who killed three people is in a awkward predicament .

It will be very difficult , or maybe impossible for her and her family to find a good arrangement.

About insurances, in Europe if you are drunk, or driving without a drving license or both, it's like you don't have an insurance; ( the same if you drive a pickup with more people than it's written on the insurance; for my four doors Isuzu it's written 7, in big letters; so if there are 8 or more people including the driver there is no insurance .)

I think in Thailand it's the same ..

I'm a bicycle rider, and it's a tragedy that these riders were killed and injured.

But, perhaps this is an opportunity. The ONLY way the ridiculous (in)justice system here is going to change for the better is if the Thai public stands up and demands better.

No more "mai bpen rai" or "bad luck/karma" or all the other excuses to excuse and ignore criminal behavior and not hold those responsible responsible... with fair punishment befitting the crime. And no more prominent families walking away from crimes because they're prominent.

What should drunk driving as an adult causing multiple deaths and injuries get a person in a "justice" system??

Let's hope the bicycle riding community there, and the Thai public at large, finally says... enough is enough!!!

As a cyclist living here over 2 years I have chosen not to ride bicycle on any of the roads here.

This could have happened anywhere to anyone.
I agree with this posters comment. The only change will happen is when the local people say they've had enough of the mai pen rai and corrupt acquittals.
There should be a large protest ride someplace every weekend, letting the people know there is unity and a larger than known presence of cyclists.

The driver I am sure is dealing with a lot of guilt (I hope) and I do not think she should be hanged, but certainly held accountable, what ever that means here.

Drivers here just don't get it... they haul ass through congested areas and only beep their horn as if to say move out of my way, I am more important...

Speed kills...slow down

My condolences to the cyclists and their families. We ALL should be have the right to ride safely on the roads and be treated fairly when there is an accident.
I hope some justice prevails...but I am not optimistic and if it involves the people that call themselves police, I am very doubtful... they just don't have what it takes.

That sounds like a nightmare. When things dont run smooth after the accident its important to have legal advise during these meeting at the Police station. What was your Lawyer advising whilst the Police and insurance company were putting pressure on you to take the blame?

No. I didnt have a lawyer because it was such an obviously "open and shut" case where the accident absolutely clearly wasnt my fault.....and yet, by a process of "mild insinuation" forcing me into a corner where it was easier and safer to pay compo from my own pocket rather than risk the possible consequences of taking it to court.

Regrettably and sadly, and the police and insurance people know this and use it to the maximum, when you are a foreigner here and you have a straight choice between paying compo and the whole thing going away, or fighting it in court with all the unknown implications and uncertainty, its a brave man who would choose the route of going to court, especially when you know that "the other side" will produce non existent witnesses lying through their teeth for a few hundred baht !!

I'm interested in watching this unfold "the Thai way". Hubby goes for walks around the moat early in the morning and he said the Sunday morning bicycle group at Thapae Gate this past Sunday was huge, the biggest he's ever seen. Vast majority Thai people. This was the week after the "accident" (i.e. murder) The good leader of this country lead off with this event in his weekly "let's all be happy" address to the country on Friday. The Thai people are very much up-in-arms about this. Bicycling for health is a trendy thing to do now. The rejection of the insurance company's claim is a first step. So is the photo op gathering at the Doi Saket police station with flowers. I think it's going to escalate. There's a good reason the murderer hasn't made a public appearance.

The idea of a huge bike rally blocking the road to Doi Saket isn't too far fetched.

You need to ask "hubby" to explain to you the difference between an accident and murder.

Wow... and the hits just keep on coming...no jail time at all.

Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500
Started by webfact, Today, 11:06
KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

Nakhon Ratchasima deputy commander Pol. Col. Wanat Atthakawin revealed Monday the province's Bua Yai court sentenced truck driver Thiwarat Chaipidet, 64, to a year of jail term and THB7,500 fine for his reckless driving. The original fine and two-year sentence were halved because he confessed.

Guillermo was on a five-year mission to cycle 250,000 kilometers across five continents and set a Guinness World Record. He was eight months from finishing when Thiwarats truck swerved into his lane and struck him on Feb. 21 in front of his wife and 2-year-old son, who were also injured.

Full story: http://bangkok.cocon...-gets-goes-free
No one here to stand up for the Chilean guy. Let's home the families of the Thai victims here do better.

You need to ask "hubby" to explain to you the difference between an accident and murder.

You're right -- it's vehicular or intoxication manslaughter, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison in the U.S. not death.

And yes, I realize we're not in the U.S.