Cyclists press for progress of a case in which three cyclists were killed

webfact

OK, another Hubby report from his dawn walks around the Old City. This morning there was a major police presence at Thapae Gate around 4:30 - 5:30 am. They were stopping all vehicles and if someone seemed suspicious, doing breath-analysis and (he thinks, but didn't get close enough to really look closely) urine testing. This was traffic coming down Thapae Rd. and both sides of the moat. No avoiding it. Lots of cops. He'd never seen anything like it and he's been doing early morning walks in that 'hood for about seven years. He's seen lots of irresponsible driving and people passed out on the sidewalks outside the bars, but never a major traffic stop like this.

Edited by NancyL

You know what the most amazing thing about this story is? There has actually been a follow-up. Usually there is a report of the accident and then - nothing. Looks like this one isn't going to go away.

Usually , it's like that but people who are cycling in Thailand on carbon frames bicycles aren't farmers but often civil servants and little or big industrialist ;

they are all well knowned in their cities

So the miss " HiSo " who killed three people is in a awkward predicament .

It will be very difficult , or maybe impossible for her and her family to find a good arrangement.

About insurances, in Europe if you are drunk, or driving without a drving license or both, it's like you don't have an insurance; ( the same if you drive a pickup with more people than it's written on the insurance; for my four doors Isuzu it's written 7, in big letters; so if there are 8 or more people including the driver there is no insurance .)

I think in Thailand it's the same ..

You make a good point. If she had killed three Burmese, well, a good hose-down of the road and "end of story". But Thai cyclists are inherently well-connected so this will be a duel between her, a heavy-weight for sure, and what?, three middle-weights?, three heavyweights? We don't yet know. But she may well be up the creek without a paddle. We all stay tuned, waiting for her first public appearance after "recuperating" in hospital. She has to come out sometime!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm a bicycle rider, and it's a tragedy that these riders were killed and injured.

But, perhaps this is an opportunity. The ONLY way the ridiculous (in)justice system here is going to change for the better is if the Thai public stands up and demands better.

No more "mai bpen rai" or "bad luck/karma" or all the other excuses to excuse and ignore criminal behavior and not hold those responsible responsible... with fair punishment befitting the crime. And no more prominent families walking away from crimes because they're prominent.

What should drunk driving as an adult causing multiple deaths and injuries get a person in a "justice" system??

Let's hope the bicycle riding community there, and the Thai public at large, finally says... enough is enough!!!

As a cyclist living here over 2 years I have chosen not to ride bicycle on any of the roads here.

This could have happened anywhere to anyone.

I agree with this posters comment. The only change will happen is when the local people say they've had enough of the mai pen rai and corrupt acquittals.

There should be a large protest ride someplace every weekend, letting the people know there is unity and a larger than known presence of cyclists.

The driver I am sure is dealing with a lot of guilt (I hope) and I do not think she should be hanged, but certainly held accountable, what ever that means here.

Drivers here just don't get it... they haul ass through congested areas and only beep their horn as if to say move out of my way, I am more important...

Speed kills...slow down

My condolences to the cyclists and their families. We ALL should be have the right to ride safely on the roads and be treated fairly when there is an accident.

I hope some justice prevails...but I am not optimistic and if it involves the people that call themselves police, I am very doubtful... they just don't have what it takes.

" Drivers here just don't get it... they haul ass through congested areas and only beep their horn as if to say move out of my way, I am more important...

Speed kills...slow down "

Yes including at times drivers within the walls of the old city . bah.gif Isn't it about time there were a few more restrictions on maximum speed at least in this area?

Maybe there is some thing I am not understanding. Why would a payment be allowed to replace a crimes that was committed? This woman killed three people due to her complete disregard for other peoples lives. The police should find out the facts, and the prosecutor should bring charges and she should be tried in a court of law and sentenced. I don't know what the penalty should be but it should be similar to what a drug dealer would get. By way of example, in the U.S. she would be charged with several violations of law including voluntary manslaughter. The combined prison time would be 10-15 years. It is likely that if she plead guilty charges would be reduced and she would serve 3-5 years. Keep in mind that laws and sentencing guidelines are not the same in all states.

The fact of the mater is she would serve time and she would have a felony conviction on her record and her life would be not be as nice as it would have been if she was responsible.

I am guessing a fine of up to 10,000 baht and some community work plus she can only drink and drive(and be caught ) another two times before the loss of her license assuming she has one? Driving without a license is no big crime, just a small fine and sign the paperwork. Your free to drive away from the station.

Maybe there is some thing I am not understanding. Why would a payment be allowed to replace a crimes that was committed? This woman killed three people due to her complete disregard for other peoples lives.

Its because the police here do seem ( based on my experience) to have a policy of trying to settle cases by mediation between the parties rather than prosecution. In that way, and if a financial settlement can be achieved, how shall we say this politely, a proportion of the financial settlement can find its way into many pockets?

In answer to recent posts, from a very recent personal experience I can assure all that when an accident occurs, a juggling act takes place between the people involved in the accident, the police, and the insurance company. In my case, the accident with a motor bike was in no way my fault, he ran into me from behind, and yet I was still forced by the police under threat of prosecution/ court hearing, and even jail time to pay out substantial "compensation" to a person whos fault the accident was.

At least the cyclists tragedy is a purely Thai affair, but I can assure everyone that the police here are always looking for a "compromise solution" almost it seems in league with the insurance companies.

The police don't dictate who goes to jail, the courts do. So the police can threaten all they like but if they don't have anything to back up their case then no-one is going to jail. Or how about getting a lawyer and prosecuting the person who drove into you. It can work both ways.

This really sucks, seems like there is nothing more important than the Japanese selling more &lt;deleted&gt; cars in this country. And no laws in the roads with the most drunk peole on earth flying around in an emphetaimne induced rage. Maybe time to move out of here as I love cycling and it is getting harder and harder to find a peaceful place to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Cycling on the highway is a dangerous sport, even in Canada:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2028000/three-dead-after-allegedly-impaired-driver-hits-cyclists-on-hwy-99/?hootPostID=42a492c9c01d6941fa066e3e3fecab8f

Three dead after allegedly impaired driver hits cyclists on Hwy 99

May 31, 2015.: Two cyclists and one passenger are dead after an allegedly impaired driver struck a group of bicyclists on Highway 99 east of Pemberton. The driver hit three cyclists, killing two of them, along with the passenger in his own vehicle.

The two cyclists were members of the Whistler Cycling Club.