Truck driver who killed Chilean cyclist in Korat fined THB7,500

webfact

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?

This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead of throwing people in jail for years in case something bad happens, there should be a serious enforcement of revoking driving licenses in case of endangering other road users. If people then keep on driving without license, then its time to throw them in jail.

Are you serious......where you from?? In western country this guy would have gone to jail. Glad the victim was not your son or brother. <Inflammatory comment removed>

in western country that you say

the tax's are very high to pay for these people to sit in jail and get food 3 times a day and play the internet

life is cheap in thailand [yes ]

so are the tax,s

thailand doesnt have room to throw all these bad drivers in jail

also if they did that transport costs would go up and you pay more for your goods

so again life is cheap

so is living here

yep.

These ignorant Thai bashers want to eat their cake and burn it at both ends.

Compare this to the Canadian who was in a motorbike accident where the other bike had 3 helmet less riders and 1 died. They are holding his passport and demanding 3million baht. It is unclear if he was even at fault. Go home Falang. We don't want you here. Leave your money though please.

Compare this to the Canadian who was in a motorbike accident where the other bike had 3 helmet less riders and 1 died. They are holding his passport and demanding 3million baht. It is unclear if he was even at fault. Go home Falang. We don't want you here. Leave your money though please.

they want but wont get.

If he were a Thai they would want the same. It goes to court. wake up.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

Very obviously most people here do not understand the difference between a death by negligent behavior and a premeditated murder.

Instead of starting a witch hunt if the parents are rich and a Thailand bashing when the guy is poor, spend some time getting information and facts about criminal law. Honestly these discussions are getting more and more embarrassing

Yes, in the US the law sees a basic difference between vehicular homicide (premeditated or criminal action, like speeding or wreckless driving) and vehicular manslaughter (unintentional, accident) that results in the death of a person other than the driver. Even in the States the fine for vehicular manslaughter can be $1000 and up to a year in jail, which can be reduced to probation or a few months in jail--just talking to my cousin, a lawyer in Florida.

He confessed... well that makes it all better, doesn't it?

Of course you confess to something you obviously did makes all the difference.

How about a Thaivisa sponsored appeal to the sentence???

Lets take round a hat.

Lets stop bleating and make a difference.

Very obviously most people here do not understand the difference between a death by negligent behavior and a premeditated murder.

Instead of starting a witch hunt if the parents are rich and a Thailand bashing when the guy is poor, spend some time getting information and facts about criminal law. Honestly these discussions are getting more and more embarrassing

Yes, in the US the law sees a basic difference between vehicular homicide (premeditated or criminal action, like speeding or wreckless driving) and vehicular manslaughter (unintentional, accident) that results in the death of a person other than the driver. Even in the States the fine for vehicular manslaughter can be $1000 and up to a year in jail, which can be reduced to probation or a few months in jail--just talking to my cousin, a lawyer in Florida.
you cant convince them. They are paranoid.

But that depends on the State involved. In California for example if a driver was sending a text message from their cell phone while driving causing them to hit a bicyclist and killing them this would be considered manslaughter/gross vehicular manslaughter with a maximum felony sentence of six years in a state prison.

In fact I have never seen any reports as to whether the truck driver was distracted in any way and whether this was a contributing factor to the accident.

But just based on observing the number of Thai drivers and motorcyclists who do use their mobile telephones when driving/riding in the most inappropriate driving conditions it wouldn't be surprising.

And who thinks it’s likely that the police would ever have made any distinction in this case regarding the nature of the charges even if the truck driver had been on the mobile at the time of this accident ?rolleyes.gif

7500 baht.

I thought it would be less.

Going on the 1000 baht fine levied against the pick-up driver that killed the two Brits doing the same kind of RTW trip and out by Aranyaprathet.

I believe he was trying to pick something up off the floor of his truck when the "accident" happened. So you can't blame him cos he was looking elsewhere at the time w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInIYsLrtyj8

What's embarrassing is your defence.

Indeed, embarrassing, and if you reply to this thread you are Thai bashing. Thai apologists are pathetic.

There are people whose racist and xenophobic characteristics make it impossible to look at issues with any sense of objectivity or clarity.

You call those who employ linear logic and reason "Thai Apologists."

You have the right to your opinions, but not your own dangerous and narcissistic "facts."

This was an accident. Pure and simple.

It was an accident that cost human life. And yes, made worse by the fact that the people killed were really admirable and inspiring.

The reaction to this story has a lynch mob mentality that exposes a very childish side to the "adults" on this forum.

In this case, the dark and sad truth comes to the surface.

And here it is:

Thai Visa is heavily weighted by racist and xenophobic haters who would never be happy anywhere. They left their Farang Homeland, and came to a country of a completely different race, culture and creed.

Then act SURPRISED when it was so different from home. Of course, that solicits the predictable and reasonable "if it sucks so bad, go home..." reply.

People, please ... show some dignity, respect and class. There are no winners in this story ... only "Whiners" Your whole "Thai People think life is cheap" rant is old and tired.

By the way, if you did ever take time to undersatnd the history and religion of the country you are a GUEST in, you might understand why the reaction you see when people are hurt or die .. is so different form the western way. It does not mean that Thais do not FEEL the same way ... it does not mean they do not value life, yours and theirs ... it is what they show in public, and how they show it.

And so here is a headline. All over the world, everyday, there are tragic traffic accidents. When it is determined that it was a "no fault" accident ... the process ends, everyone has a good cry , and life goes on.

I wish the Foreigners here would man up sometime and act like adults, instead of a bunch of Whining Nancy's who can not accept that sometimes in the adult world, bad things happen and it sucks ... get over it.

You make my farking blood boil BKK Equity.

"GUEST IN"...I've been in and out of Thailand for 25 years. I'm 44 years of age now.

I've travelled the world and assisted in 2 major accidents. One in Guatemala and one home in Aus. Everyone dead, although I did my best.

Thai gentility and Buddhist preservation of life. A great farking hypocrisy.

I'm married and love my Thai wife but shit like this and numerous others have me thinking of my real home.

My condolences go to the families and loved ones who have suffered in similar circumstances.

I drive here in BKK every day mate and I'm fast, efficient but cautious.

How would you cope BKK Equity if the RTP and family of a dear loved one who's life you brought to an unplanned close on these roads now desired to extract as much of that foreign currency from you as they could, or go to prison.

My question; would you pay up to avoid time in Khlong Prem or, do your time in penance for the satisfaction of the public and more so families directly affected?

I wonder what the punishment/fine would have been if it had been a Chilean truck driver running over a Thai bicyclist. And, yes, Dominique, we all know there's a difference between premeditated murder and negligent homicide. In America we have a saying "It doesn't pass the smell test." The problem with this case and the case with the girl that killed the nine people, they don't pass the smell test. Jail terms might not always be appropriate but, if not a jail term, at least assign meaningful community service relating to the offense and stretching over the length of the suspended jail term. People are upset because these two killers (no, they didn't murder but they did KILL, Dominique) are pretty much walking away with no consequences for their actions. For the HISO girl, I would have liked to have seen her given a mix of community service working at a hospital for at least 2 years and also given the assignment of going around to every high school in Bangkok and telling the assembled students her story and urging the students not to text while driving, not to drive without a license, not to drive recklessly, and that our bad actions impact others.

Correct death by negligent behavior. One is responsible for ones behavior unless mental illness is in the equation. So this act is premeditated, this is where the law is flawed. Essentially the law allows a person to gamble with an avoidable tragedy with little or no consequence. Any cause committed under those circumstances should be outlawed not inlawed.

If this had happened in my (U.S) country he would have gotten a looooooooooong prison sentence,not a slap on the wrist. Thank God I am a Christian,and life means something to me.

im not a christian and let me tell you sonny life means just as much to me thank.you...a pathetic attempt.by you what has faith got to do with driving.....

Sends out totally the wrong message. I think death by road even if an accident should be a mandatory minimum 1 year served PLUS a minmum 100,000Baht fine and that if it is a 100% accident, double both minimums if alcohol is involved. That will make people think including myself. This judgement just sends out the message you can kill someone very little will happen, no jail time. I can't believe the girl in Bangkok how killed several people and did not have a Driving License did not do jail time either.

Fog, Pot holes, animals, unmarked construction are not the fault of the driver.

Do you laugh or do you cry??

Mr P "We are going to get serious about the road killings"

First the spoiled brat Na Ayudhya and now this...........Third world country!! ( being polite)

As previously stated sentence meets international standards.

If this had happened in my (U.S) country he would have gotten a looooooooooong prison sentence,not a slap on the wrist. Thank God I am a Christian,and life means something to me.

im not a christian and let me tell you sonny life means just as much to me thank.you...a pathetic attempt.by you what has faith got to do with driving.....

He is not taking about faith per say he is talking about the value ''a life'' has within his religion. Try studying Buddhism and its perception on human life before you call people pathetic.

I think they call this holding someone hostage. If it is not paid will he have to walk the plank?. This is another reason I would not own a motorized vehicle of any kind in Thailand. Its like Russian roulette one day the bullet will be meant for you. Stay away from areas that contain potential problems. Besides all this Thai licence paperwork and possible no pay insurance is just to much of a hassle.

So will the sentencing judge come out and say the punishment for this is in line with "international standards" like the other did about the young slapper that managed to top people while driving under-age and without the benefit of a license and insurance etc? It's enough to make your nose bleed

I suspect you're lumping the civil settlement in with the criminal punishment. So far, only the criminal portion of this case has been decided. The article indicates the civil portion of these proceedings will be next. We'll see what that brings.

His Singaporean wife Ng-Poh Leng, 40, and their son currently reside in Khon Kaen as the case will proceed to Civil Court. The family is still negotiating compensation with Thiwarat's insurance agency.

However, Col. Wanat said the driver has offered THB100,000 of his own money to the family. Ng-Poh Leng also showed sympathy to the driver who could barely afford the money.

Apparently the Canadian in your comparison isn't locked up, even if he isn't free to leave the country until the civil settlement is handled according to the laws of Thailand.

2 seconds of distraction, and any one of us who drives here in Thailand could find ourselves in this driver's situation. I'd hate to think I'd be spending a lifetime in a Thai prison because I lost focus for 2 seconds one day (or the courts decided I lost focus when it truly wasn't my fault). Nor would I wish that on anyone. If it's DWI, or drag racing, or texting while driving, fine. Throw them in jail. But for an innocent accident? Compensation should be made, but retribution isn't called for.

Edited by impulse

4 years ago a farang I know accidentally killed a Thai person whilst driving. He was not drunk and the Thai person was at fault. This farang was fined 400,000 baht and blacklisted from Thailand. If you Thai people continue to treat foreigners as dogs in your land I hope they will stop coming. You do not deserve the revenue which tourist bring. How do Thai people wish to be treated when they are overseas?

This guy is going to jail. Would you preferred it if the foreigner you knew would have been sent to jail?

See post #89 above - he is NOT going to jail!:-

KORAT: -- The truck driver who killed a round-the-world Chilean cyclist on a Korat highway has been sentenced to prison but wont have to actually go to jail as the sentence was suspended.

That 'sudpended' was mentioned once, not anymore further in the text when it would have made sense. 100% that 'suspended' is not correct.

So it looks like Farangs are worth 7500 THB, I thought it would have been less,

RIP Chilean guy,travel the world and get mowed down in Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

He was not farang( white, caucasian).

Covered before in depth - "farang" means "foreigner"

No, it does not. It means 'white person'.

My apologies, my memory isn't what it used to be, so I looked it up, and you are essentially correct. However,

"Thais do sometimes umbrella black and asian people from western countries under the farang label but generally the word is specifically used for white skinned people. Black people may be called farang dum (black farang)."

Thanks for that. Don't know your source, but I have lived here for many years now and have never heard a Thai calling an Asian farang. May other words though, none of them PC.

3-rd times reread this article... thinking... I hate my neighbour. And I want to get rid of him. If I invite him to my place, knock him out and cross him by my car...After that call to police and confess.Will it cost me just 7.500baht? Or I have to hire a Thai to do this? Because I'm afraid for farang it will be a little bit more expensive.Anyway it's not bad idea at all. Thanks for a tip! I really love Thailand. But this awful story...O.k., mai pen rai

Alex,

The rules of this forum forbid me for expressing what many of us are thinking about your posting.

Let's just say we are convinced your IQ is the product of the equation

(x) x 0 = IQ

Do you know meaning of "sarcasm"? If not, here is link for you and your friends-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm. Anyway I don't care about opinion of person who is afraid to show his own face, gender, age and etc. You belong to a category of people who is not responsible for their words. A troll.

one of the probleme in thailand are their laws ....most of them are to antiquated, obsolete, outmoded, old fashion and then you can see like in this case an inappropriate fine for a murder case.

here they drive like crazy especialy the transporters with big trucks....on the road they are a danger for the others , i see it every day like you, it is nothing new !

wai2.gif

also i heard from thais who had allready problems on the road, that the transporters companies pay some bribe money to some " patrol guys.....!" if something happened with his own driver............like this the business carry on and everything is ok.

alcool free, safety is too much bla bla and a whist of time for them.

coffee1.gif

but not only the drivers are guilty, the people who design that kind of roads are also guilty, and the government who aprouve such a design is also guilty..!