Best way to send money overseas? (to the States)

Hi, I am about to permanently leave Thailand, as I will heading to the US for work. Soon I will sell my car and a few household things, and will need to find a trustworthy way to transfer 500,000 baht back to the US.

What are my options? And what is best? Bank transfer? Deposit the cash to my local BangkokBank account and use debit card to withdraw once in America?

Are there any other ways? Suggestions?

Thanks.

I really don't know what the wire transfer forms are that a Thai bank might want or require or the ins and outs of wiring money out of Thailand. I have only sent money in! But 500,000 baht is about 15,625 USD. You might simply be able to use your Thai bank ATM card and make withdrawals in the USA. Depending on the withdrawal limit this could take a few days. Maybe split the money up between two banks that have USA workable ATM cards and then you can withdraw in the USA faster and that also give you some backup?

And you can simply withdraw a lot of the Baht, say $10,000 USD worth, and then you can travel to the USA and exchange the baht there for USD. Not the best exchange places in the USA, but keeping it below $10,000 USD means you won't need any special USA customs form. I am not sure what Thai exit forms say about carrying xx number of baht out of Thailand?

Ditto the Wire Transfer suggestion... Assuming you have a US account to which you can transfer the funds. Fees are reasonable and transfer is quick. Certainly cheaper than withdrawing cash via an ATM once you get there.

There should be no problem on the amount you are talking about, but likely different if the sum were in the millions!

And you can simply withdraw a lot of the Baht, say $10,000 USD worth, and then you can travel to the USA and exchange the baht there for USD. Not the best exchange places in the USA, but keeping it below $10,000 USD means you won't need any special USA customs form. I am not sure what Thai exit forms say about carrying xx number of baht out of Thailand?

"I am not sure what Thai exit forms say about carrying xx number of baht out of Thailand? "

Foreign Currency

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the “Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that the travelers bringing foreign currency into or out of Thailand, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person’s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

Thai Currency

The amount of 50,000 baht or more in Thai currency must be reported on departure, except those traveling to Lao PDR., Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding 500,000 baht.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/departing+from+thailand/departingfromthailand

Edited by Suradit69