Commerce Min plans to push ex-con, retired veteran soldiers to run their own SME business

webfact

Commerce Min plans to push ex-con and retired veteran soldiers to run their own SME business

BANGKOK, 14 May 2015 (NNT) - The Commerce Ministry revealed its plan to promote former convicts and retired military officers to operate small and medium enterprises (SME).

Department of Business Development Director-General Pongpan Jiarawiriyapan said her agency aims at introducing more SME operators to the local market.

The department primarily targets former prisoners, deeming these individuals had occupational trainings when they were in prison, which would be useful when they operate their own business.

She also highlighted the department’s various seminars educating new SME operators on additional professional skills and techniques.

Miss Pongpan indicated these programs focus on instilling good governance values and social responsibility into the participants who are retired veteran military officers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-14 footer_n.gif

Yes, Thailand could well do with more cafes and phone sellers.

Actually it's a well proven fact that in all capitalist countries small business contributes enormous amount to GDP, generation of wealth, capital and spending power and most important of all it creates a lot of jobs.

I agree that there is value in helping folks to start small business but hopefully with realistic advice. The new startup small business failure rate is very high in all countries and it could be a lot less if the folks involved had more knowledge of the basics of business, or more.

In Australia when I was at high school there was a compulsory course - we had tuition about the basics of business and in small teams we were guided through building a business plan, setting business goals and setting business strategies to achieve the goals, plus basic accounting etc. We had to go to the appropriate government office and register our business name etc., open a bank account, and more. The one year later we had to go back and deregister the business, close the bank account, etc. Great value.

But In regard to the headline, I am a Vietnam veteran and I object to war veterans being a headline along with ex-convicts.

At the same time I hope many ex convicts can start and successfully run their own business.