SURVEY: Should Foreigners be Allowed to own Property?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners be allowed to own land?  

755 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Be careful what you wish for, there are several million Chinese looking for opportunities to buy assets outside of China who would soon drive up the price of land/housing & leave a lot of guys with a genuine reason/need to have property in Thailand priced out of the market.

I think you either need to apply a strict criteria (again, for me this is Strong Ties to the country) or make the price of entry high high enough to limit the people coming in driving house prices too high.

I'd also suggest that there's a minimum period of time you have to live in the property before being able to sell it with a sliding scale of Tax to be paid depending on how long you've lived there...

Again, just my 2cents smile.png

I do not see a tsunami of foreigners who will suddenly ump in to buy land and a house after their deposit of 3,000,000 BHT payment.

Look chinese can buy already freehold condos here in Thailand and they are not doing that either !

Thailand is sadly unstable and try to resale your existing unit it is a big problem ,rental returns are weak here, so enough problems.

Thailand must make it much more attractive for foreign investors and maybe some foreigners buyers will purchase their plots and so what? it brings only lots of money in the country and fat revenues at the land offices...it creates job/sales/revenues etc.

It brings foreign investments back but if you create poor laws foreigners invest elsewhere that where we standing now.

And with that Sage like insight I'm out of here....

Here's hoping you get your wish, because if you do, I'll buy 5 or 6 of them, Flip 'em & the next poor sap that comes along to try to buy a home for his family can just pay that little bit more...

Speculation is not possible as u can only buy one land plot as stated earlier..(good luck trying to sell your properties anyway be patience)

Look at Malaysia they have interesting house ownership program for foreigners including visa to stay..and so have all these foreigners suddenly bought up Malaysia then? Nope

If you aim on houses with plots with minimum investment of 3 M BHt then it will not even effect any locals cause most of houses in Thailand are under 3 Million BHT.

I only make suggestions here its not up to foreigners to decide for Thailand property rules,however i hope somethings will be improved to revive the Property market in Thailand.

I think opening the market more for to foreign investors is a good step forward to come out this grid lock.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be careful what you wish for, there are several million Chinese looking for opportunities to buy assets outside of China who would soon drive up the price of land/housing & leave a lot of guys with a genuine reason/need to have property in Thailand priced out of the market.

I think you either need to apply a strict criteria (again, for me this is Strong Ties to the country) or make the price of entry high high enough to limit the people coming in driving house prices too high.

I'd also suggest that there's a minimum period of time you have to live in the property before being able to sell it with a sliding scale of Tax to be paid depending on how long you've lived there...

Again, just my 2cents smile.png

I do not see a tsunami of foreigners who will suddenly ump in to buy land and a house after their deposit of 3,000,000 BHT payment.

Look chinese can buy already freehold condos here in Thailand and they are not doing that either !

Thailand is sadly unstable and try to resale your existing unit it is a big problem ,rental returns are weak here, so enough problems.

Thailand must make it much more attractive for foreign investors and maybe some foreigners buyers will purchase their plots and so what? it brings only lots of money in the country and fat revenues at the land offices...it creates job/sales/revenues etc.

It brings foreign investments back but if you create poor laws foreigners invest elsewhere that where we standing now.

And with that Sage like insight I'm out of here....

Here's hoping you get your wish, because if you do, I'll buy 5 or 6 of them, Flip 'em & the next poor sap that comes along to try to buy a home for his family can just pay that little bit more...

Speculation is not possible as u can only buy one land plot as stated earlier..(good luck trying to sell your properties anyway be patience)

Look at Malaysia they have interesting house ownership program for foreigners including visa to stay..and so have all these foreigners suddenly bought up Malaysia then? Nope

If you aim on houses with plots with minimum investment of 3 M BHt then it will not even effect any locals cause most of houses in Thailand are under 3 Million BHT.

I only make suggestions here its not up to foreigners to decide for Thailand property rules,however i hope somethings will be improved to revive the Property market in Thailand.

I think opening the market more for to foreign investors is a good step forward to come out this grid lock.

Yes the MM2H is an excellent example of how to control foreign investment...

1) Nominated Zones where foreigners can buy

2) Minimum spend of 1Million MYR (approx 9.2Million THB )

3) liquid assets of 500,000 MYR (approx 4.6 Million THB ) if under 50; 350,000 MYR (approx 3.2Million THB ) if over 50

4) Monthly income of 10,000 MYR (approx 92,000 THB )

And that is exactly why you're not seeing foreigners buying up the country.

Apart from Johor Bahru, where the Singaporeans are snapping up condos as quick as they can build them...

Edited by JB300

Well lets see if Thailand will set up some program that attracts foreign investors.

What we have now is :

Land lease max 30 years.

Business for foreigners 49% and thais 51%.(often used to control house and land too)

Freehold hold condos.max 49% in a building

how about this :

For land plots bigger then one rai offer us a standard 99 years lease.

business for foreigner in Thailand make it 100% foreign freehold, company can not be used to control houses and land.

Land Plots till maximum one rai offer limited foreign ownership foreigner must min bring in the country 4 M BHT.Investment program based on malaysia model..

Make Condominiums in Hua hin,Pattaya,Phuket,Chiang mai ,Bangkok 100% foreigner free hold,now there many buildings only half sold.

These changes might bring back some foreign investments.