Visa Rules Will Be Tightened To Stop Abuse

lung

Completely agree....busines visas, retirement visas, marriage visas are all easily available.

What is so difficult with simply complying with the law.

Good points Gonzo and Jean!!! If you want to stay, just get yourself sorted out legally . . . . .

G

Gee, why so much fuss about a tourist visa. A tourist visa can be 60 days. Seems more than enough for a holiday.

And people wanting to stay longer, ask a non immigrant visa.

And if you are here and you are not a tourist, well obvious you did something wrong in planning for a visa.

If you support someone get a 1 year visa. If you work get a business visa and a work permit. No excuses.

Jean, you must understand the loudest protesters are those here who will not admit that they are the ones who want the immigration laws to bend for them. and they offer all kinds of excuses ,,, spending lots of money here, supporting 10 families and 3 buffalo, etc... Those protesters can still stay, but they would have to get the correct visa to stay the way they are entitled to. The law here says they cannot live here forever on a tourist visa. Simple.

There are a multitude of visa types to allow you to stay. If you do not wish to apply for the correct visa, or cannot afford the proper visa , well then in that case don't blame the immigration people for saying you are here illegally.

Thats life all over the world. Complainers don't complain if you do not fit the rules. Use the rules to work for you. In the end it will be better for all.

I, like several other people I know here, am a 'long stay tourist'. Yes, I truly am on holiday.

I have no business in Thailand. I do not work. I am not retired.

I do not support anyone.

I do not wish to marry.

I have been here for a few years. Yes, I spend a lot of money here (as do many others)

I do not believe multiple-entry visas will be a workaround. It seems that they want to make 90 days the limit for tourist visas, also. (Starting with a 90-day limit on the stamps)

There is no visa for me. I do not wish to gussy up some documents and pretend to be sponsored by an employer.

When this takes effect, I plan to leave Thailand and return only for a short visits.

That'll be 5-6mm baht/year loss to the local economy. And I'm not the only one.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree....busines visas, retirement visas, marriage visas are all easily available.

Good points Gonzo and Jean!!! If you want to stay, just get yourself sorted out legally . . . . .

G

Gee, why so much fuss about a tourist visa. A tourist visa can be 60 days. Seems more than enough for a holiday.

And if you are here and you are not a tourist, well obvious you did something wrong in planning for a visa.

If you support someone get a 1 year visa. If you work get a business visa and a work permit. No excuses.

Jean, you must understand the loudest protesters are those here who will not admit that they are the ones who want the immigration laws to bend for them. and they offer all kinds of excuses ,,, spending lots of money here, supporting 10 families and 3 buffalo, etc... Those protesters can still stay, but they would have to get the correct visa to stay the way they are entitled to. The law here says they cannot live here forever on a tourist visa. Simple.

There are a multitude of visa types to allow you to stay. If you do not wish to apply for the correct visa, or cannot afford the proper visa , well then in that case don't blame the immigration people for saying you are here illegally.

Thats life all over the world. Complainers don't complain if you do not fit the rules. Use the rules to work for you. In the end it will be better for all.

I, like several other people I know here, am a 'long stay tourist'. Yes, I truly am on holiday.

I do not support anyone.

I do not wish to marry.

I have been here for a few years. Yes, I spend a lot of money here (as do many others)

I do not believe multiple-entry visas will be a workaround. It seems that they want to make 90 days the limit for tourist visas, also. (Starting with a 90-day limit on the stamps)

There is no visa for me. I do not wish to gussy up some documents and pretend to be sponsored by an employer.

When this takes effect, I plan to leave Thailand and return only for a short visits.

looks like you have 2 options:

1. get a multiple entry visa from laos, malaysia or another country.

2. look for another country to stay in.

its not like they don't want you to stay. its only they don't want you to go for a new visa every day. if you can spend 5-6M baht per year in Thailand, surely you can spend 3000 for the ticket to Malaysia, 1000 for the hotel and another 5000 for food/visa, etc. every 3 months. make that 10,000 baht per trip, 40,000 per year. that's almost the same price as a 2,000 baht visa run every month.

Thanks, Rainman.

But because I travel extensively, a double-entry tourist visa from Penang won't really do me any good.

Such a visa is, of course, good for 2 entries + an extension.

So, that means that if I took that route I would be going to Penang every 2-3 weeks or so and staying 2-3 days to get a tourist visa. That really does not work out for me.

That's why the 30-day visaless stamp was ideal. No hassles.

Come Oct. 1, I'll take your option #2.

Thanks, Rainman.

But because I travel extensively, a double-entry tourist visa from Penang won't really do me any good.

So, that means that if I took that route I would be going to Penang every 2-3 weeks or so and staying 2-3 days to get a tourist visa. That really does not work out for me.

Wouldn't you be able to get a multi re-entry permit?

I see Malaysia is giving 10 year visas as part of its "Malaysia My Second Home" scheme. They also allow foreign ownership of houses as part of it. Applicants just need to deposit equivalent 3M baht and can use upto 2.4Mb to legally buy a house. OK Malaysia doesn't quite have the straight bar scene that some are here for, but under the surface there is plenty going on.

Thanks, Rainman.

Depending on your home country, if you return you may well be able to get a 1 year multiple-entry Type-O Non-Immigrant Visa. Long stay tourists can get these. You might have to demonstrate enough money in the bank that the consulate believes you won't want to work for pissy Thai wages illegally. Email or phone your home country's consulate - you might be surprised.

As an example, if you have a look at Hull in the UK's visa application pack (page 2), it clearly states that Type-O's are for visiting friends/relatives or extended stay. http://www.thaiconsul.co.uk/pdfs/Ab%20%20V...tion%20Pack.pdf

(And if your consulate is stricter, I'm sure you can find a local friend to write a letter of invitation).

G

I do not support anyone.

I do not wish to marry.

Exactly, exactly, exactly my words!!!

QUOTE(cyborgx @ 2006-09-11 12:53:01)

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2006-09-10 15:05:08)

Nonsense, do you know how immigration officials work?

10,000 baht will get you a 1 year visa - simple.

Would love to hear a little deeper explanation of this comment.

It is my good understanding that retirees without sufficient funds in the bank, can be assisted by certyain immigration officials to have the requisite funds deposited, upon payment of a fee of 25,000 Baht. There are also independant "brokers" who perform similar services for similar fees.

OK, I'll spell it out - there are corrupt Immigration officials on every border/country. There are many 'companies' that send your passport to them for the 1 year stamp.

You may get a stamp from Hawaii, Padang Besar, or Perth - 10,000 baht.

When staying in Thailand you have to adopt to the way things are done - very different to my home country. There are ways round everything that the government throws at you, and has been for many years.

Back in 1997 I used the services of some "brokers" in front of the foreign ministry. Within half a day my marriage was properly registered at the Amphoe. The fee was abt 10,000 Baht.

Does anybody know, if these "brokers" still are around ?

I don't understand. The fee for an Amphoe marriage is 25 baht and it takes about 2 hours. Why would you want to pay 10,000?

Erm.. Has no one explained the concept of bribery to you yet ??

I forgot to mention that back in 1997 me & my GF only had our passports on hand....no additional documents were submitted.

The whole matter was done within 5 hours.

So I have read through much all the different theories and was wondering if anyone could answer this question.

I have come to Thailand with a 4 x 60 days re-entry Visa, then my understanding was I could renew.

I am here for a 1yr stay (not working) just choosing to make a base camp here to enjoy life and see other parts of Asia. No intention of staying here past a year, but by the end of my 4th Entry in Feb does anyone know if that means I am unable to renew/ extend for a max of 90 days or is that just it. No entry for me unless I am gone for 90days

My main concern is I rent a house, expires start of next July but If I lose a month thats the way it goes

Lots of people have suggested that 90 days is enough for a tourist, well surely a lot of people appreciate Asia is very cheap to Europe and US and maybe some people just save money and dont really fancy the real "backpacking" experience

And LOS is a great place to set up base giving you full access to a wide choice of Asian countries on a short flight

I have come to Thailand with a 4 x 60 days re-entry Visa...
No, you haven’t.

Take your passport, look what type of visa you really have, then come back here and tell us and somebody will be able to answer your question.

---------------

Maestro

I have come to Thailand with a 4 x 60 days re-entry Visa...
No, you haven’t.

Take your passport, look what type of visa you really have, then come back here and tell us and somebody will be able to answer your question.

---------------

Maestro

Do you think that is possible that he has a multiple of four, 60 day tourist visa's?

Do you think that is possible that he has a multiple of four, 60 day tourist visa's?

Well according to my passport I have a Tourist Visa which clearly Says no of entrys 4. And any time I have re entered they have marked a two month period before I have to exit again.

I got it from the Thai Embassy in London before I came so I dont know why its so unbelievable or why I am supposingly so mistaken. When it clearly says Tourist Visa, Lists the numbers of entrys and as i have said so far the officials have been giving me two months stamps in my passport

All I had to do was pay a fixed amount for each entry. I thought that what most people did if coming for a year than after the 8 months are up do a border run for the remaining 4 mmonths

Edited by Remo

Maestro . . .Not sure why you're trying to give a guy a hard time about having a multi entry tourist visa.

Check out the website below - you can get a quadruple entry tourist visa for GBP100 in less than half an hour if you visit the consulate in person.

www.thaiconsul-uk.com

Why get the tourist visa multiple from the consulate when u can get a non-immigrant o visa multiple for 1 year for the same cost??

Well according to the Thai Embassy in London that was only available on these conditions

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/niv.htm so you can see its not a tourist visa and we had no way of proving any of there conditions as we did not fit the bill

All i am trying to find out is as I have never had to get a Visa On Arrival, will I be able to do so for 3 times after my multiple runs out or is the multiple visa counted in the same way

Why waste time and energy on speculation?

---------------

Maestro

Maestro, as a frequent poster here you should know better, please get back to school before posting stupid things.

Remo told you what he had, can't you read?

Thank you.

Edited by tartempion

New visa rule will hurt

Thai economy It is with great concern that I have read the latest statements from the immigration department. It now seems that there is a growing band of "Go home, farang" feelings within this nation. I have now lived in Bangkok for 12 months, I own a property and I have a partner and a daughter. I support them through my investments and work that I do outside of Thailand.

I do not have a need to obtain a work visa as I am not working. I frequently travel in and out of Thailand, but I may now find myself being locked out on the basis of the new 90-day exclusion rule. I would certainly not invest any money into Thailand within the current political climate and I do not want to return to my native country to live.

Incidentally, I am not old enough to obtain a retirement visa. It now looks like we will be selling up and moving to a Southeast Asian country that may have a little bit more respect for foreign nationals who are only putting money into the Thai economy. What a pity, I forecast serious problems in the future with foreign investment and the knock-on effect that this will have on the Thai economy as there are many other people in a situation similar to mine.

WORRIED JOHN

Samut Prakan

'90-day exclusion' not a viable option

At 45 years of age, I took early retirement two years ago and chose Thailand as the country in which I would like to spend the rest of my years.

Due to the relatively cheap standard of living in Thailand, my investments support my lifestyle and living expenses and should do so to the day that I die.

I own a condominium in Thailand, I eat and drink in Thai restaurants and bars, I play golf three times a week on local courses and spend large sums of money every year on public transport.

I do not work in Thailand and stay here on a tourist visa as I am too young to qualify for a retirement visa. I travel out of Thailand each month to comply with the terms of the tourist visa. Inconvenient as it may be, it's a small price to pay to live in paradise.

While I appreciate that there are numerous individuals of foreign nationalities who take advantage of the previously lax immigration laws, the new laws are about to prevent me from living in the country that I love so much. After 90 days in Thailand, having already left the country on two occasions to renew my tourist visa, I will now have to leave the country and will not be permitted to return for a period of 90 days. I know of numerous people who are in a similar situation and will now have to re-evaluate whether or not being able to spend only six months a year in Thailand is a viable option.

I am sure there are many other countries within Southeast Asia which will appreciate the injection of money into the economy that can be generated from individuals such as myself. Such a sad time for Thailand, as it will be the Thai people themselves who rely on people like me for their livelihood that will suffer the most. My condolences to the Thai people for the hard times ahead. At least the people of Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines and other such countries will benefit from this decision by the Thai government.

Goodbye and good luck!

SCOTT

Bangkok Post Bag 13/09/06

Look's like it's in the Bangkok Post comments Now. Sorry if in wrong thread.

Why get the tourist visa multiple from the consulate when u can get a non-immigrant o visa multiple for 1 year for the same cost??

Well according to the Thai Embassy in London that was only available on these conditions

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/niv.htm so you can see its not a tourist visa and we had no way of proving any of there conditions as we did not fit the bill

All i am trying to find out is as I have never had to get a Visa On Arrival, will I be able to do so for 3 times after my multiple runs out or is the multiple visa counted in the same way

However, if you look at the Thai Consulate in Hull's Visa Application Pack on page 2, you will find they say Type-O non-immigrant single or multiple entries are for visiting friends and/or relatives or long term stay. Consulates and embassies seem to make up many of their own criteria - shop around and don't be afraid to ask about your particular situation (although you probably want to wait until the dust has settled if you have the time - I expect most embassies and consulates will revise their criteria in the next few weeks, maybe to tighten up, maybe to appear tightened).

However, if you look at the Thai Consulate in Hull's Visa Application Pack on page 2, you will find they say Type-O non-immigrant single or multiple entries are for visiting friends and/or relatives or long term stay. Consulates and embassies seem to make up many of their own criteria - shop around and don't be afraid to ask about your particular situation (although you probably want to wait until the dust has settled if you have the time - I expect most embassies and consulates will revise their criteria in the next few weeks, maybe to tighten up, maybe to appear tightened).

Seeing as I have been in Thailand for the last 4 months its a little late for me to do any shopping around, thats why I am trying to see if I am able to do 3 VOA's

Edited by Remo

Well according to my passport I have a Tourist Visa which clearly Says no of entrys 4. And any time I have re entered they have marked a two month period before I have to exit again.

I got it from the Thai Embassy in London before I came so I dont know why its so unbelievable or why I am supposingly so mistaken. When it clearly says Tourist Visa, Lists the numbers of entrys and as i have said so far the officials have been giving me two months stamps in my passport

All I had to do was pay a fixed amount for each entry. I thought that what most people did if coming for a year than after the 8 months are up do a border run for the remaining 4 mmonths

You are unaffected - the changes only apply to entry-stamp-on-arrival. You have a real visa.

While everyones speculating .... What's the likely effect on the condo rental market in long term tourist areas like Pattaya? ...

The law will be ammended to read that a "Pattaya Suicide History" will follow on to the new buyer each time the condo is sold.

Potential buyer to his wife: "Hey Marge, this one's had only 2; that's not so bad, whaddya think?"