A Beautiful Tree

Gonzo the Face

I have got, in my back yard , on the banks by the river, a most beautiful tree in bloom. It is the brightest orange when the sun shines on it. Does anyone know the species of tree this is ..... in English???? In Florida the tree called Jacaranda is very similar.

G

Is it the hang nok yoong? The peacocks tail feather?

It is one of our favorites too. My daughter actually likes to talk to our tree. "You are so beautiful today, thank you tree."

Is it the hang nok yoong? The peacocks tail feather?

It is one of our favorites too. My daughter actually likes to talk to our tree. "You are so beautiful today, thank you tree."

Hang Nok Yoong...... that's what my wife was trying to tell me...In any event is is indeed a very beautiful tree

The Hang Nok Yoong are indeed a beautiful tree and in flower all over the province.The flower stays for quite a while.Especially this season, no doubt helped by not being lashed by heavy rain.

In Australia we have the Jacaranda tree which has beautiful purple flowers,makes a hell of a mess when the flowers drop but the NSW city of Grafton has many along its streets and actually have each year a Jacarandra Festival

We need pictures. I am assuming this is the tree. We drove from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai the other day and they were everywhere along the drive, especially near villages. Some were orange and others almost red with two or three that were pink.

Mt%2BBike%252C%2BFlowers%2B%2B010.jpg

Mt%2BBike%252C%2BFlowers%2B%2B009.jpg

This season has two of my favourite flowering trees - this one - the peacock tail and the yellow ratchapuek tree

Lovely trees and also found in abundance along the roadside. We have a couple in our yard too. The strands of flowers on our trees are no where near as long as this one, however.

Mt%2BBike%252C%2BFlowers%2B%2B007.jpg

Edited by villagefarang

Yep, we have them all along the creek at the back of our house.

They look beautiful but my wife was CUSSING them after Saturday's Thunderstorm and High Winds....you guessed it... our rear Alfresco area was covered in the petals. Wife was NOT impressed.

This season has two of my favourite flowering trees - this one - the peacock tail and the yellow ratchapuek tree

Lovely trees and also found in abundance along the roadside. We have a couple in our yard too. The strands of flowers on our trees are no where near as long as this one, however.

Mt%2BBike%252C%2BFlowers%2B%2B007.jpg

4b49590f4ec3ad2f2e64abc39092c865.jpg

Also this Chomphu Phantip (which is just visible in the background)

They look beautiful but my wife was CUSSING them after Saturday's Thunderstorm and High Winds....you guessed it... our rear Alfresco area was covered in the petals. Wife was NOT impressed.

What is alfresco area never heard that term

How many names does this tree have?

I found a great name for it "bastard teak" not forget that one....unlike the person who named it because he forgot what is was called

Yes its a fact!

A sad name for a beautiful tree. I've just been reading about it on Wiki; I thought it came from Madagascar, but in fact it's native from India to Thailand.

My other favourite tree is the jacaranda, from south America. It's at its best in October, and is grown around the whole country.

post-111567-0-57129400-1431835083_thumb.

post-111567-0-97920200-1431835109_thumb.

What is alfresco area never heard that term

Alfresco just means 'Open Air'. Often used as 'it was a beautiful night, so we dined alfresco' . I.e. 'we dined outside last night under the stars'. Very appropriate for this subject IMO.

For Gonzo; What a great thread and lovely to see nothing but positive comments and pictures!

This lovely tree, Delonix regia, is a member of the bean family. If you take a good look at the large, long brown seed pod, then you can easily see the bean family character.

Many of these related bean tree with larger pods are edible, but some need a treatment. In Kentucky (USA) the kentucky coffee tree, a bean family tree (Gymnocladus) has large juicy pods which were roasted and eaten by aboriginal americans and newcomers . The roasted seeds served as a coffee substitute during hard times and during the War Between the States.