Chang Beer changed again.

Auke

As always when I start sampling exotic foreign beers, I landed on Chang beer, because it had the highest alcohol content. I don't get a headache like other people, I just go sleep all afternoon so it is long off my list. I drink Archah now, or Leo when I have some cash. Chang is based on rice fermentation unlike any Western beer, leave it alone.

• Like 2

Cheers over plenty of ice does the trick for me when I'm feeling cheap. Red Horse has a punch and is also for cheap when I'm feeling cheap and nasty, but is harder to find. Chang Export is for special occasions, like when I have some money.

• Like 1

With most Thai beers if older than 1 to 3 months the taste goes bad, in colder climates that takes much longer.

Maybe you just had an older bottle, they don't really bother about "First In First Out" anywhere in the distribution chain, nor the restaurant or shop, so it can happen that you get an old bottle.

Who keeps beer around longer than a week? let alone a month or 3 blink.png

• Like 1

With most Thai beers if older than 1 to 3 months the taste goes bad, in colder climates that takes much longer.

Maybe you just had an older bottle, they don't really bother about "First In First Out" anywhere in the distribution chain, nor the restaurant or shop, so it can happen that you get an old bottle.

Who keeps beer around longer than a week? let alone a month or 3 blink.png

It's some of those mum and paps chops.

• Like 2

As always when I start sampling exotic foreign beers, I landed on Chang beer, because it had the highest alcohol content. I don't get a headache like other people, I just go sleep all afternoon so it is long off my list. I drink Archah now, or Leo when I have some cash. Chang is based on rice fermentation unlike any Western beer, leave it alone.

By definition beer can't be rice based. It then wouldn't be beer!

Beers are 70-85% Pale barley malt with adjuncts to make the different flavours. even wheat beer is only 25-30% wheat the rest is barley. Rice has been used as an adjunct by many brewers including in the West. Think Budweiser. It doesn't necessarily make a bad beer.

• Like 2

Topic is already there.

In my opinion the new Chang tastes much nicer than the 6% one... it's more hoppy now. I don't think you can actually taste the small difference in alcohol, it's probably more about the new recipe.

Still prefer Red Horse though. Also @47 Baht the cheapest beer in Thailand now since they have taken back the latest price rise.

Beers are 70-85% Pale barley malt with adjuncts to make the different flavours. even wheat beer is only 25-30% wheat the rest is barley. Rice has been used as an adjunct by many brewers including in the West. Think Budweiser. It doesn't necessarily make a bad beer.

Tsingtao, my favourite Asian beer is also made with a rice adjunct and one of the few beers I can drink with food.

By the way, does anyone know if it is available in Chiang Mai?

Edited by Saan
  • Like 1

Cheers over plenty of ice does the trick for me when I'm feeling cheap. Red Horse has a punch and is also for cheap when I'm feeling cheap and nasty, but is harder to find. Chang Export is for special occasions, like when I have some money.

Never heard of that beer, do you know if it is available in Chiang Mai and what sort of alcohol strength it comes in at? Cheers.

Tsingtao, my favourite Asian beer is also made with a rice adjunct and one of the few beers I can drink with food.

By the way, does anyone know if it is available in Chiang Mai?

Depends really on what you class as "Tsingtao" there are so many varieties. Usually the only ones I have seen are the really low alcohol stuff in the big green 640mL bottles, starts around 2.8% ABV and some go to 4.5%. However, if anyone knows where to get those little 330mL dark brown bottles that have about 5.6%, that would be appreciated. Then the best Tsingtao ever is the 330 mL Black bottles, the Tsingtao Stout, even nicer than a Guiness. (But never seen that available around here)

So given that Chang looks like it is diluting itself, anyone have any good recommendations for a strong local brew these days that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? (I am not interested in Singha, Archa, Leo, or any of the other Chang varieties...is there anything else to wean myself away from this sadly weakening brew?)

Hopefully find some alternative to Lao Kao, but the way things are going, who knows, maybe start brewing my own.

Edited by Vogele123

No idea why anyone drinks that crap with a plethora of fine import beers available everywhere in LOS...

I wish that were true. The last of the decent import beers disappeared from all the shelves here in Kalasin about a year ago, even then it was only sporadically available and just a few beers Hoegaarden and Leffe. TESCO doesn't even have Singha beer just Chang, Archa and wall of one brand of Lao Khao. Of course you can order many many types of beer to be delivered via Wishbeer but you will pay for that if the govt hasn't stopped them from delivering outside of the selling hours as they said they were going to do.

first Sigha started with cheating of BIg bottle- from 0,666 to 0,500 with almost same price,

now Chang following also with cheating to reduce alcohol,

more I beleave they just watering it , and not changed the receipt, so you have less ingredients which makes the beer tasty,

Its ame as you mention to put a lot of ice, taste goes down;

For thai people doesn't matter,

of their chilly food, they dont have any taste,

so what is brown water, and it have a lable - beer, for them its beer !

Good thanks we have still Leo !!

Never heard of that beer, do you know if it is available in Chiang Mai and what sort of alcohol strength it comes in at? Cheers.

Which one? Cheers is local, Red Horse is a foot-in-the-door San Miguel brewery newcomer. The latter packs a nice punch at 6.9%, is cheap at around 47 Baht but is hard to find. Cheers works with ice in a glass. Sorry but I've no idea of availability of either in CM.

first Sigha started with cheating of BIg bottle- from 0,666 to 0,500 with almost same price,

more I beleave they just watering it , and not changed the receipt, so you have less ingredients which makes the beer tasty,

All to do with tax and economics. Local beer drinkers are the market. They want maximum bang for a buck.

Gone are the days of dirt cheap drinking apart possibly from Lao Khao. Why do you think the average Moo Bahn Mom and Pop does not sell the likes of Heineken?

You're complaining Chang has no flavour, but you drink Leo?

• Like 1

Chang beer, now with even more hangover.

I didn't notice it before but there is a huge difference in beer prices. A big bottle of Hoegarden was ฿379 and local beers were a quarter the price.

Auke - You're Dutch, right? A linguist clue made me wonder.

I saw today that Heineken is reducing its standard bottle size from 330 ml to 325 ml and other Thai Brewers are doing the same....

And will they also reduce the price too..!!!

I don't think so..!!!

I saw today that Heineken is reducing its standard bottle size from 330 ml to 325 ml and other Thai Brewers are doing the same....

And will they also reduce the price too..!!!

I don't think so..!!!

Why would they? New tax, keep the price the same requires a slightly smaller bottle. Stop blaming beer companies. If you are that concerned about it talk to government.