Chumphon headman charged with human trafficking

Lite Beer

Chumphon headman charged with human trafficking
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- A VILLAGE headman in Tambon Hin Kaew in Chumphon's Tha Sae district was arrested for alleged human trafficking after 74 people from Myanmar were smuggled into Thailand, robbed of valuables, and abandoned in a forest in Chumphon's Muang district earlier this month. It is alleged that while the migrants were in a hidden camp Thai human traffickers also raped three Myanmar women aged 18-20.

Village headman Prasert Sangkhom, 52, was among four people whom the Chumphon Provincial Court issued arrest warrants for on Thursday. Police are hunting the three other suspects, who are believed to have fled to a village on the Myanmar side of the border with accomplices there and to an island in the Andaman Sea.

In related news, an Interior Ministry taskforce raided a karaoke bar in tambon Sanam Chai in Suphan Buri's Muang district early yesterday and rounded up 10 Myanmar woman aged 20-30 and four Myanmar girls under 18. Police arrested bar owner Chumpol Chan-ngamdee, 53, for opening a service establishment without permission, running a prostitution venue and human trafficking.

Police seized a lot of evidence such as 14 books recording income from prostitution and an air gun from the bar. The pre-dawn raid stemmed from a tip-off from the Counter Human Trafficking Unit, a non-government group, about Myanmar women being forced into prostitution . It was reported that the woman had to perform sex services to repay Bt50,000 per head commission fee charged for bringing them to Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chumphon-headman-charged-with-human-trafficking-30260271.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-17

would this be the same Chumpon headman that executed a young female staffer in a busy mall in front of numerous screaming bystanders? thanks to liveleak for exposing Chumpon mafiosi.

Not doubting your story, but some corroboration would be helpful.

would this be the same Chumpon headman that executed a young female staffer in a busy mall in front of numerous screaming bystanders? thanks to liveleak for exposing Chumpon mafiosi.

It was a very big story. And if you haven't seen the video, I suggest you don't. The young girl takes a bullet right to the heart and blood pours out everywhere and she dies within seconds.

It was a very big story. And if you haven't seen the video, I suggest you don't. The young girl takes a bullet right to the heart and blood pours out everywhere and she dies within seconds.

Sadly I just watched it. If you go to LiveLeak and search for Chumpon you will see it. Trying to find the story about it - LiveLeak reports the guy got charged and confessed the murder so I doubt its the same person, unless they let him walk.

I remember the story well. But is it the same guy? That's the corroboration I'm looking for.

"A VILLAGE headman in Tambon Hin Kaew in Chumphon's Tha Sae district was arrested for alleged human trafficking after 74 people from Myanmar were smuggled into Thailand, robbed of valuables, and abandoned in a forest in Chumphon's Muang district earlier this month. It is alleged that while the migrants were in a hidden camp Thai human traffickers also raped three Myanmar women aged 18-20."

Scum.

There are some filthy, vile specimens of humanity that make me seriously question my views on punishment.

Edited by Bluespunk

Same guy????

Unlikely the same guy as the ages are different, but thanks for ruining my day. That video is graphic and horrific beyond words, but it is an element of Thailand that one should be aware of.

Regarding the headman arrested for trafficking, they likely will make a deal with him if he keeps quiet. Unlike the West where you make a deal to get more names. Thailand is different.

Now what happens as no doubt he can name names and implicate all sorts of people ?

I hope he faces the music, as you point out he knows too much so he may be provided the opportunity to do a runner.

Hope there is some follow up reports, as often these stories fade.

During Mr. T's ' war on drugs ' more than 2,000 were killed with the official version they were all dealers shooting each other to avoid being grassed up.

Will there now be a rash of people traffickers killing each other to avoid being turned in ? Of course dead men don't tell tales or name names either. giggle.gif

Will there now be a rash of people traffickers killing each other to avoid being turned in ?

One can only hope....

But I fear for the innocents who get caught in the crossfire, and the innocents who know too much and have been afraid to come forward.

Now what happens as no doubt he can name names and implicate all sorts of people ?

I hope he faces the music, as you point out he knows too much so he may be provided the opportunity to do a runner.

Hope there is some follow up reports, as often these stories fade.

One has to ask why they fade? I suppose that a large part of it is the attitude of the press. Thirty-five years ago or so I when I was at Uni... I landed a job writing writing on California ballot initiatives. There was no real internet to speak of then so if the editor called and asked for 1,000 words on initiative X... then I had to get on the phone, get to the library and dig dig dig; knock it out, make the deadline and it had to be right. Then it was all about the follow up. I'd already made my contacts, knew my sources so that the follow up part was easy. It wasn't unusual to have a legal pad page of questions to start an interview. Then it grows. It doesn't seem to happen here or elsewhere too much anymore. In some ways I see the follow up on social media (Kho Tao was a good example), but most people don't use social media to learn or understand... It's more of an opinion based media. If I get a lot of likes I must be right. I suppose this story will fade as well. People just seem to lose interest unless there is an active investigation that keeps it in the spotlight.

I don't even know why I bother to try anymore...