Thailand's Yingluck faces trial and political ruin

Lite Beer

Yingluck said on her facebook page "i have not done anything wrong at all".

So all the lying, false promises, inflammatory foreign speeches and zero attendance records for rice meetings were completely kosher then. Alright.

She deserves to be locked up. Any normal person would be. 1 law should be applicable to all after all

Pure fascism your opinion is.

Did you learn to write English from the Jedi-master Yoda?

Edited by dru2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, trials for elected officials, amnesty for coup leaders, and no investigations of military commanders who allowed appalling crimes to take place in the areas they were "guarding".

Trials for corrupt elected officials is a good thing. Not much you can do about the coup leaders. Again, the coup was caused due to the actions of the corrupt elected officials.

One army colonel has been moved from their position and is being investigated for problems in the South. But yes, more need to be investigated, on all fronts, unfortunately.

The coup was caused by the actions of violent anti-democracy protestors led by Suthep who obstructed government and elections, thus giving the military the excuse they needed to put themselves in charge. Do you really think that military was going to tolerate an elected government in charge during the upcoming big event?

Justice definitely matters to me. I don't see how thousands of refugees could have been held for ransom and sold into slavery in dozens of camps in the heavily patrolled south without the military being aware and complicit in the activities. I would like to see appropriate charges brought against the appropriate people.

The voters should deal with politicians who are too incompetent to prevent corruption, the courts should deal with those who actually commit the corruption. To the best of my knowledge that's how it works in the rest of the world.

If every politician, civil servant, judge and military officer who failed to prevent corruption in their area of responsibility were convicted of negligence there wouldn't be a government in Thailand. The proper way to prevent corruption isn't by selective prosecution of politicians when power changes hands, but by making it difficult to commit corrupt acts in the first place. This requires rules mandating transparency in government operations, regular financial disclosures by everyone in government (military included) in a position to influence government spending, open competition for government contracts, etc.

Are any meaningful measures to fight corruption and general government incompetence through transparency included in this draft constitution? Do you think the victors justice of investigating and prosecuting people after a coup, but never investigating and prosecuting the people involved in the coup, will lead to a more just Thailand?

That was a rhetorical question, my dear chap.

Tomorrow the start of the trial for "negligence". May Ms. Yingluck come with better answers than she's come up till now.

Yes, trials for elected officials, amnesty for coup leaders, and no investigations of military commanders who allowed appalling crimes to take place in the areas they were "guarding".

Well, this may surprise you, but indeed here we talk about Ms. Yingluck, an elected party list MP and PM. Somehow you seem to suggest those should be above the law, apart from the suggestion to look at other people first of course.

Anyway, tomorrow Ms. Yingluck will be formally charged in the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders and acknowledge the charge (as in 'I heard and understand, nothing to do with guilty/not guilty).

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm stating the obvious fact that Yingluck is being put on trial by those who have placed themselves above the law. Only the blind can't see the hypocrisy of that.

Trials for corrupt elected officials is a good thing. Not much you can do about the coup leaders. Again, the coup was caused due to the actions of the corrupt elected officials.

One army colonel has been moved from their position and is being investigated for problems in the South. But yes, more need to be investigated, on all fronts, unfortunately.

The coup was caused by the actions of violent anti-democracy protestors led by Suthep who obstructed government and elections, thus giving the military the excuse they needed to put themselves in charge. Do you really think that military was going to tolerate an elected government in charge during the upcoming big event?

Really? I was here when the coup occurred and do not remember any violent yellow shirt activity. Please provide a link to sustain this statement, as I must not have been here as I thought. I seem to recall others being involved in violent antics, armed to the hit, throwing grenades etc., so can I ask you, if you respond, is there anything you know about those others, not sure who they were but as you seem so knowledge, maybe you can enlighten me. Thanks.

No way she will be found guilty. All the politician fear her brother or will get paid off by him!

Maybe not, maybe yes, none of us know, anyone who suggests either way is only guessing. But if you believe the latter part of your statement, then you are living in Lala land not Thailand, and know nothing about Thai politics.

That would have to be the biggest load of bias garbage that AFP have ever produced.

For a start only18 % of poor farmers qualified for the scheme.

The scheme has left rice farmers deeper in debt than they have ever been.

The protests were not about the rice pledging scheme they were over the amnesty bill and the rampant corruption within the PT Govt.

From there on it gets worse and worse.

The corrupt and those negligent in the their duty to the country and people they pledge to serve must be shown that they are accountable to the law of the land.

Bringing Yingluck and those around her to account for the rice pledging scheme is only the first step in this and it must be carried on to show those who would enter politics in the future that they can and will be held accountable for their actions or inactions.

The crazies have started foaming at the mouth because unaccountably a fair minded report sets out the facts.

The great insulter is back.

Please tell me where I am wrong.

For a start ; were the protests over the rice scheme ?

Next ; do you believe that there should not be a message sent to future politicians that they should do their job honestly ?

You mean like the multi billionaire General that's running the country now?? clap2.gif

Again, the coup was caused due to the actions of the corrupt elected officials.

I would disagree strongly with that as the reason for the coup. whistling.gif

incorrect procedure to impeach someone who has been removed from office I don't believe the lady is guilty and I hope she gets exonerated .

Them's the rules here, like it or not. Maybe she will be, maybe she won't but just out of interest, what do you know that many of us do not that enables you to think this way?

I doubt that she will be phazed at all by her political life being ruined.

Seize the family's assets (the whole family) and distribute them evenly amongst the people they were supposed to help.

Tough Love.

Actually if she is found guilty then no matter what the punishment was even probation the guilty verdict would open her and her family to civil suits where the government or famers or both could sue her for the losses.

It would be a lngthy trial for sure but it would mean that the courts could put a freeze on her business and accounts.

incorrect procedure to impeach someone who has been removed from office I don't believe the lady is guilty and I hope she gets exonerated .

You don't believe she was guilty of negligence when as the PM and chairwoman of the rice committee she didn't attend a single meeting? She ignored all warnings from both domestic and international bodies. Your positions smacks of an emotional stance rather than dealing with the facts(however painful they may be).

So, occupying the airport, "shut down Bangkok" was not illegal?

Any criminal procedings there? NAH!

I have no great love or otherwise for the Shinawatras, just that the law should be applied to all law-breakers, establishment or not. (And, heaven-forbid, a fairer deal for all of the Thai people, not just few).

Well, this may surprise you, but indeed here we talk about Ms. Yingluck, an elected party list MP and PM. Somehow you seem to suggest those should be above the law, apart from the suggestion to look at other people first of course.

Anyway, tomorrow Ms. Yingluck will be formally charged in the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders and acknowledge the charge (as in 'I heard and understand, nothing to do with guilty/not guilty).

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm stating the obvious fact that Yingluck is being put on trial by those who have placed themselves above the law. Only the blind can't see the hypocrisy of that.

PTP The Shins party, placed Yingluck in the position of P.M. Backed by a convicted brother---amazing. Elected government shot themselves in the foot, because of the pushing through of the amnesty bill.

Argue what you like about who took over--who created the unrest-who is in control now- A good governing government would never have got into the Situation. ABOVE the law ??? your talking about the army---or PTP and amnesty that brought about the unrest and her eventual downfall. You never change all you do is come up with the same ( it's the army fault) rubbish.

You don't believe she was guilty of negligence when as the PM and chairwoman of the rice committee she didn't attend a single meeting? She ignored all warnings from both domestic and international bodies. Your positions smacks of an emotional stance rather than dealing with the facts(however painful they may be).

I have no great love or otherwise for the Shinawatras, just that the law should be applied to all law-breakers, establishment or not. (And, heaven-forbid, a fairer deal for all of the Thai people, not just few).

A. You really have to compare these different events for want of a better word, Red blockade BKK----airport blockade yellow--and other--Suthep.

This occasion focusing on the ex PM. What she has been accused of and is facing grave charges. This amounts to near a trillion money loss (who knows how much.) Everyone who breaks the law should have to pay for their crime. Please get the priorities correct. Their should be no FAIR deal with anyone---every crime should be punished according to the seriousness of.

This topic is about Yingluck, NOT worming out of any excuse for her action--(or non action)

Illegal things here ---red controlled villages------paid convoys to BKK and burning of -----airport yellow occupying-----PTP and other mass corruption-----a sorry state of affairs, and a few here on TVF blaming the army, and not recognise they are trying (in general) to sort the bleeding job out.

That would have to be the biggest load of bias garbage that AFP have ever produced.

For a start only18 % of poor farmers qualified for the scheme.

The scheme has left rice farmers deeper in debt than they have ever been.

The protests were not about the rice pledging scheme they were over the amnesty bill and the rampant corruption within the PT Govt.

From there on it gets worse and worse.

The corrupt and those negligent in the their duty to the country and people they pledge to serve must be shown that they are accountable to the law of the land.

Bringing Yingluck and those around her to account for the rice pledging scheme is only the first step in this and it must be carried on to show those who would enter politics in the future that they can and will be held accountable for their actions or inactions.

The crazies have started foaming at the mouth because unaccountably a fair minded report sets out the facts.

The great insulter is back.

Please tell me where I am wrong.

For a start ; were the protests over the rice scheme ?

Next ; do you believe that there should not be a message sent to future politicians that they should do their job honestly ?

You mean like the multi billionaire General that's running the country now?? clap2.gif

Your calculations may be a little out. if you knew the difference between billion and million, then you would understand that the PM is a multi millionaire, andnot as you state. A Million equates to 1,000,000,00.(6 zeros) A Billion equates to 1,000,000,000.00 (9 zeros) facepalm.gif Also, why is it, that people like yourself, have no respect for the office, let alone the man. Regardless of how he got there, he is the PM, like it or not.

Edited by Si Thea01

Whilst discussing such matters we might have a look at a developed country, the UK.

I believe that during the Thatcher era, the UK government decided that PFI (Private Finance Initiatives) were the way to go, as far as major infrastructure projects were concerned, and advertised as the next big/good thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/jul/05/pfi-cost-300bn

The link above shows what would be the cost to the taxpayer, over and above other forms of finance.

Knighthoods and G & T's all round!cheesy.gif

Really? I was here when the coup occurred and do not remember any violent yellow shirt activity. Please provide a link to sustain this statement, as I must not have been here as I thought. I seem to recall others being involved in violent antics, armed to the hit, throwing grenades etc., so can I ask you, if you respond, is there anything you know about those others, not sure who they were but as you seem so knowledge, maybe you can enlighten me. Thanks.

Really? You need links to remind you that Suthep's people used violence and intimidation to disrupt the February election? Do you also need a link to the video of the police officer who had his leg blown off by a grenade when he and others were trying to break up an illegal protest/occupation of government property? Perhaps you'd also like the name and contact information of the army officer who was hospitalized for having the temerity to try to move an illegal roadblock set up by Suthep's people.

If you really need those links I'll dig them up, but I thought this information now qualified as common knowledge.

Perhaps you could explain why illegal protests in 2010 required a violent army crackdown, while illegal protests in 2014 required a military coup. I and quite a few others think there were steps far short of a coup that would have restored peace and stability to Thailand. In fact I think a simple, direct statement from the army announcing there would be no coup and the army would help the police break-up illegal protests sites and ensure a peaceful election would have taken all the steam out of Suthep's anti-democracy protests. However that would have resulted in an elected government, and as I posted earlier, that isn't what the military wanted. It still isn't.

Whilst discussing such matters we might have a look at a developed country, the UK.

I believe that during the Thatcher era, the UK government decided that PFI (Private Finance Initiatives) were the way to go, as far as major infrastructure projects were concerned, and advertised as the next big/good thing.

The link above shows what would be the cost to the taxpayer, over and above other forms of finance.

No comparison. why are you evading the topic------Yingluck ??

As elected PM. sworn on oath to uphold the law and run the country democratically. SHE and her party PTP failed, because it was under the influence of Thaksin. corruption and self greed.

Yinglucks duty among others was to ensure the country was being run accordingly. As chairperson of the rice committee her main role was to chair the meetings ( she did not attend) to remind you because she was supposed to be so wonderful and learned she was also the Defense Minister.

Most of the failures of her being the fact -near half the 3 years she was travelling abroad doing other ministers work---or shopping or meeting up with brother.--Amazing Thailand.

As elected PM. sworn on oath to uphold the law and run the country democratically. SHE and her party PTP failed, because it was under the influence of Thaksin. corruption and self greed.

Yinglucks duty among others was to ensure the country was being run accordingly. As chairperson of the rice committee her main role was to chair the meetings ( she did not attend) to remind you because she was supposed to be so wonderful and learned she was also the Defense Minister.

Most of the failures of her being the fact -near half the 3 years she was travelling abroad doing other ministers work---or shopping or meeting up with brother.--Amazing Thailand.

Corruption - no comparison.cheesy.gif

Them's the rules here, like it or not. Maybe she will be, maybe she won't but just out of interest, what do you know that many of us do not that enables you to think this way?

That's right--under Article 44 the rules are what Prauth says they are, and anyone who says otherwise will have their attitude adjusted.

Perhaps the UK should impeach Thatcher and prosecute her for negligence. After all, if PM's that are out of office can be impeached and prosecuted for negligence, why not PM's that are out of life?

For the humor-impaired, the above is a joke. A lot of people on this forum can't tell.

PTP The Shins party, placed Yingluck in the position of P.M. Backed by a convicted brother---amazing. Elected government shot themselves in the foot, because of the pushing through of the amnesty bill.

Argue what you like about who took over--who created the unrest-who is in control now- A good governing government would never have got into the Situation. ABOVE the law ??? your talking about the army---or PTP and amnesty that brought about the unrest and her eventual downfall. You never change all you do is come up with the same ( it's the army fault) rubbish.

It doesn't appear that you are disputing my contention that the junta has put itself above the law. Have you given up on disputing the obvious?

The government rigs/interferes with the market.

Lots of rich people get richer at the taxpayer's expense.

No comparison?

Ms. Yingluck is put on trial by the OAG who took the charge to the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders. Are you questioning the legal right of the OAG to do so?

You also seem to like to ignore that there are valid reasons for putting Ms. Yingluck on trial and offering her the opportunity to justify, to explain, to take that responsibility and accountability which goes with the job seriously. A self-financing scheme which loses 700 billion Baht in barely two and a half years does require a bit more than "I was helping" and "I'm innocent".

Of course, only the 'biased' are going on and on about anything which may help to position Ms. Yingluck are a poor, Amply Rich girl who is being hunted down because of her big brother.

It doesn't appear that you are disputing my contention that the junta has put itself above the law. Have you given up on disputing the obvious?

Not suggesting, just stating the 'obvious'. Ah well, the 'obvious' is that the OAG charged Ms. Yingluck with "negligence" in the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders. That's what the OAG does. They've charged other people with other offences and even at other courts.

So, tomorrow the big day, or at least the start of the official trial with Ms. Yingluck being charged and acknowledging being charged. Next I guess a date is set for the first proceedings, council of the defence given the opportunity to put forward a reasonable list of witnesses, etc., etc. Who knows, may be afterwards Ms. Yingluck will even be allowed to travel a bit abroad, to eat noodles, go shopping, bump into big brother and so.

That's right--under Article 44 the rules are what Prauth says they are, and anyone who says otherwise will have their attitude adjusted.

Pray tell, did someone invoke A44? To my knowledge the OAG has sufficient material to be confident charging Ms. Yingluck with 'negligence' will lead to a 'guilty' verdict. Ms. Yingluck frequently stating to be in charge of the 700 billion Baht losing self-financing scheme really helps a lot.

Really? You need links to remind you that Suthep's people used violence and intimidation to disrupt the February election? Do you also need a link to the video of the police officer who had his leg blown off by a grenade when he and others were trying to break up an illegal protest/occupation of government property? Perhaps you'd also like the name and contact information of the army officer who was hospitalized for having the temerity to try to move an illegal roadblock set up by Suthep's people.

If you really need those links I'll dig them up, but I thought this information now qualified as common knowledge.

Perhaps you could explain why illegal protests in 2010 required a violent army crackdown, while illegal protests in 2014 required a military coup. I and quite a few others think there were steps far short of a coup that would have restored peace and stability to Thailand. In fact I think a simple, direct statement from the army announcing there would be no coup and the army would help the police break-up illegal protests sites and ensure a peaceful election would have taken all the steam out of Suthep's anti-democracy protests. However that would have resulted in an elected government, and as I posted earlier, that isn't what the military wanted. It still isn't.

Really? Does all this explain the 700 billion Baht loss on a self-financing scheme? It would seem a few people get really desperate realising the 'innocence' of Ms. Yingluck is not easily accepted as 'obvious'.

A. You really have to compare these different events for want of a better word, Red blockade BKK----airport blockade yellow--and other--Suthep.

This occasion focusing on the ex PM. What she has been accused of and is facing grave charges. This amounts to near a trillion money loss (who knows how much.) Everyone who breaks the law should have to pay for their crime. Please get the priorities correct. Their should be no FAIR deal with anyone---every crime should be punished according to the seriousness of.

This topic is about Yingluck, NOT worming out of any excuse for her action--(or non action)

Illegal things here ---red controlled villages------paid convoys to BKK and burning of -----airport yellow occupying-----PTP and other mass corruption-----a sorry state of affairs, and a few here on TVF blaming the army, and not recognise they are trying (in general) to sort the bleeding job out.

Just for the record, a view of events as they actually occurred...

The PAD did shut down the airport and stop all traffic in and out

The PDRC did shut down bangkok, but more importantly, stopped elections

The red shirts neither tried to stop the functioning of the airports, nor the entire city, and they were calling for elections, not trying to stop them.

And yes, some posters here understand Thai history which is why we blame the military for the effed up mess that the country is in....

wink.png

Thailand's government is intent on making a martyr out of the former PM. The continued persecution of the former PM will only make her politically stronger. It might have worked 6 months ago, but memories have faded, anger has dissipated and discontent with the current administration has set in.

A long drawn out trial will only increase resentment in a large part of the electorate and cement their support for the woman. The general is creating a rallying point for opposition. Rule No.1 in Thai politics is to never appear to bully and humiliate someone in public. Thai culture doesn't take kindly to that.

Thailand's government is intent on making a martyr out of the former PM. The continued persecution of the former PM will only make her politically stronger. It might have worked 6 months ago, but memories have faded, anger has dissipated and discontent with the current administration has set in.

A long drawn out trial will only increase resentment in a large part of the electorate and cement their support for the woman. The general is creating a rallying point for opposition. Rule No.1 in Thai politics is to never appear to bully and humiliate someone in public. Thai culture doesn't take kindly to that.

The OAG is intent on getting the accused convicted as they believe they have more than enough material to make the charge stick.

Very unfortunate that some see justice as persecution of a poor Amply Rich and innocent woman. Equally sad that a long drawn out trial because the accused has the right to call upon a larger number of witnesses is seen as negative.

It would seem some don't want to see justice served, some have no problem with a self-financing scheme losing 700 billion Baht of tax payers' money. Some don't seem to want a PM to be responsible and accountable.

Ms. Yingluck is put on trial by the OAG who took the charge to the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders. Are you questioning the legal right of the OAG to do so?

You also seem to like to ignore that there are valid reasons for putting Ms. Yingluck on trial and offering her the opportunity to justify, to explain, to take that responsibility and accountability which goes with the job seriously. A self-financing scheme which loses 700 billion Baht in barely two and a half years does require a bit more than "I was helping" and "I'm innocent".

Of course, only the 'biased' are going on and on about anything which may help to position Ms. Yingluck are a poor, Amply Rich girl who is being hunted down because of her big brother.

Re-read my post:

"I'm stating the obvious fact that Yingluck is being put on trial by those who have placed themselves above the law."

Isn't the current government putting Yingluck on trial? Isn't the current government operating free of checks and balances, so above the law?

Obviously there's no point in questioning the legal right of an above-the-law junta to do anything.

The rice scheme started out as a terrible idea and degenerated into a fiasco. If there is evidence that Yingluck participated in or condoned corruption then she should be put on trial. However according to the OP she is being charged with criminal negligence for not better managing the program. I know of no democratic country that would deal with a PM in this manner, democratic countries deal with demonstrated incompetence through elections. But of course Thailand is no longer a democratic country.

Finally, as I stated earlier, the recently discovered refugee prison camps and associated ransoming and slave trade in the heavily patrolled south certainly appear to constitute criminal negligence on the part of the military, if not outright criminality. I wonder how many senior officers will be charged?

Not suggesting, just stating the 'obvious'. Ah well, the 'obvious' is that the OAG charged Ms. Yingluck with "negligence" in the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders. That's what the OAG does. They've charged other people with other offences and even at other courts.

So, tomorrow the big day, or at least the start of the official trial with Ms. Yingluck being charged and acknowledging being charged. Next I guess a date is set for the first proceedings, council of the defence given the opportunity to put forward a reasonable list of witnesses, etc., etc. Who knows, may be afterwards Ms. Yingluck will even be allowed to travel a bit abroad, to eat noodles, go shopping, bump into big brother and so.

Maybe the details matter to you, but what's obvious to everyone is that this junta is operating without checks and balances and putting Yingluck on trial. As I posted earlier, an above the law junta putting a former PM on trial for a crime that would not be a crime in the free world smacks of hypocrisy.