OPINION: Phuket needs to prepare for imminent disaster mitigation

Lite Beer

OPINION: Phuket needs to prepare for imminent disaster mitigation

1431836438_1.jpg
Memories are still fresh of how Phuket was caught off guard in December 2004. Photo:Peregrine981

PHUKET: Will Phuket be ready when the next big disaster strikes?

Some 2,500 years ago, the philosopher Socrates said, as relayed through his pupil Plato, “I only know that I know nothing.”

Recent earthquakes – locally, regionally and globally – have not only rattled seafloors, bedrock and buildings, but also the nerves of millions living on or near the planet’s fragile fault lines.

Phuket has been no exception. When photos of jellyfish colonies off of Phi Phi last week begun to circulate on social media, doom speculation was rife – even if the phenomenon was normal for this time of year.

And as soothsayers in Thailand and abroad continued to add fuel to the fire of fear – predicting disaster in the weeks and months ahead – the Thai government responded by issuing a warning against scare-mongering.

After all, tourism is at stake and there has been a lot vested in promoting Thailand as the “Tourism Capital of Asia” and likewise, defending the kingdom’s safety record.

While we agree that publishers and other opinion leaders should be responsible within their respective spheres of influence, we don’t think fear – the threat of prosecution – is the most appropriate measure to prevent the spread of fear.

As the island’s leading newspaper, The Phuket News upholds its duty to report all news and trends that affect our growing community, and in doing so are always careful to distinguish clearly between “facts” and “opinions”.

That said, as part of a literate society, media consumers also have a duty – what scholars refer to as “media literacy”. Readers and audiences must be capable of distinguishing between facts and opinions, causation, correlations and coincidences.

Regarding earthquake predictions, “experts” disagree on many things, but one thing they usually agree on is that no one really knows when or where the next big one will hit.

(NOTE: Most Scientists do agree that certain areas such as Nepal will always be at high risk, see story here)

Indeed, it’s not a matter of “if”, but “when”. So while such disasters can not be predicted or prevented, steps can be taken to mitigate the effects, first through education and the establishment, review and upholding of clear emergency protocols and procedures to minimise the impacts of disaster when it does strike.

While the local government gave its reassurances that tsunami warning towers in Phuket are all in working order, many of the evacuation route signs are either lost or damaged, so clearly much closer attention needs to be paid to preparation..

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-phuket-needs-to-prepare-for-imminent-disaster-mitigation-52357.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-17

No they won't be prepared...

I concur. IIRC, the Tsunami buoys aren't even working as batteries are flat with no budget to replace them. Even if the buoys will be working, Phuket won't be prepared, nor anywhere else.

Intersting, I thought those kind of bouys at sea would had solar panels on them??

Same as the rest of Thailand, one day the floods will come back! And no Science minister Plod?

But now we have article 44 so the floods can be ordered to stop.

I concur. IIRC, the Tsunami buoys aren't even working as batteries are flat with no budget to replace them. Even if the buoys will be working, Phuket won't be prepared, nor anywhere else.

Intersting, I thought those kind of bouys at sea would had solar panels on them??

As I understand with these remote instrument installation, there are batteries that are charged by solar panel(s). Once the batteries have gone past their maximum charge cycle then the instrument pack dies as solar power alone cannot service the demand.

Most Thais in Phuket are still trying to meet basic needs (food, shelter, etc). Be prepared for disaster is not high on their priority list. The mentality here is, should a disaster occurs, you get over it and move on. Thats exactly what happened after the tsunami in 2004.

I was well drunk and asleep Sun morning but I swore there was a bit of a tremour around 11am ish? I was that handcarts I didn;t know if I was dreaming or whether it was real...? felt the shake and trees outside my window were moving quite a bit and thought I could hear the siren from the beach front?? did no one else hear this, this morning? (Sunday) in Patong

I believe a budget was obtained for replacing the batteries, but quite how they are faring now, I don't know (or indeed if it was ever spent on replacing the batteries, knowing the local authorities at the time).

However I seem to remember a few years back that the sirens were supposed to be tested and none of them worked because the wire connecting them had been stolen!!

Interesting topic for me. I followed a career back in Europe as a professional satcomms and radio comms engineer, and use those technical and hands-on skills in my ham radio hobby.

As a TPV with this technical background, I'm painfully aware of the lack of preparation for a possible natural disaster ==> tsunami, earthquake, whatever.

After a major disaster, emcomms' (emergency communications) is of primary importance. After all, if rescue organisations cannot communicate with each other or further afield on a national or international level, then they will be running around in a headless chicken syndrome.

If a major disaster occurs, you can be sure that fixed line telephones, mobile networks, internet will all either be 'down' or overloaded ==> no comms ==> headless chickens.

At my home on a small hill above the airport, I have been working on various comms projects that have a useful purpose in both emergency scenarios and everyday, non-emergency use, such as:

- Shortwave radio email (This is commonly-used by yachtsmen to send/receive emails when there is no internet coverage. Connects from my transmitters to servers in Japan, Australia etc). Can be used to send status emails, files, low resolution images etc and 'I am OK' emails from survivors etc

- Mobile wifi 'hotspot' from my truck that is linked (via radio) into the Google Person Finder database for collating survivor data

- Low-power, mobile FM transmitter system to broadcast information to disaster survivors on the FM radios on their mobile phones (no cell network required)

- 'Echolink' ham radio comms system that links radio 'walkie-talkies via internet to other users anywhere in the world

- Standalone IPStar internet comms system (continues to operate when landline/mobile internet is down)

and various other comms projects that I'm working on, which will be useful after a disaster.

My only problem is that the only location where these comms systems will be deployed is at Phuket Airport, because I am unable to get my Thai police colleagues to 'take me seriously....'