Medical insurance for retirees in Chiang Mai....any help?

mikey88

Can anyone please assist with info on Medical Insurance for over 60's on retirement visa staying approx 9 months of the year in Thailand....

Thanking you in advance for any help....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would probably have to make a new application every year unless you took out an annual policy.

Over 60 they aren't cheap especially if you have pre-existing conditions, some won't even insure over 60's

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I am 70 and I got AIA last year. Health insurance together with life insurance with cash value. Cost according with the plan and age, starting 32000/year (2680/month) for my age.. No health exam and no problem with pre existing conditions. I used a few times without problems, but is good to have a good agent to help to deal with hospital quotes, coverage, etc, etc. It is good to get an extra accident coverage with it., for 2000/year.

Policy is only in Thai.

Edited by umbanda

I agree with Uptheos.

It's cheaper for me to fly back to Australia once a year for medical tests, purchase of medicines. Even AirAsia refuses to insure over 75s!!

If there's anything urgent while I'm here, then bad luck!

I am 70 and I got AIA last year. Health insurance together with life insurance with cash value. Cost according with the plan and age, starting 32000/year (2680/month) for my age.. No health exam and no problem with pre existing conditions. I used a few times without problems, but is good to have a good agent to help to deal with hospital quotes, coverage, etc, etc. It is good to get an extra accident coverage with it., for 2000/year.

Policy is only in Thai.

Sounds like an exceptional deal.

Very surprising that no medical was required at age 70 or pre-existing conditions declared......in fact very unusual.

I agree with Uptheos.

It's cheaper for me to fly back to Australia once a year for medical tests, purchase of medicines. Even AirAsia refuses to insure over 75s!!

Same here. I take a tablet called Lyrica for neurological pain - spinal cord damaged during back surgery about 15 years ago and a very badly damaged sciatic nerve means that the pains are like fires running down my legs. This is the first thing I found that works, recommended by the otherwise useless doctor standing in at the pain management clinic at Suan Dock a couple of years ago. I need 2 each day which is a box every 4 weeks, even with discount card almost 5,000 baht. But hey, it works. In Australia they were just shy of 1,000 baht a box on the PBS, or as a private prescription (which means full cost) a few baht short of 2,000.

The price here is the same in all pharmacies, so they aren't trying it on, it is very expensive here. The Australian government have obviously negotiated a good deal with the company due to the subsidised prescriptions available to all Australians. I got a year's supply from my GP, and the saving paid for our airfares. Both of us. (Very good deal on flights). For me, the saving is 4,000 baht 13 times a year, or 52,000 baht. That's the SAVING.

It's really worth it for us to go back every year until Lyrica is out of copyright and available generically in however many years is left on their licence.

(We still lodge tax returns as residents because we move around so much from country to country (Chiang Mai is just our base), so we're not bludging or getting anything we're not entitled to.)

I agree with Uptheos.

Same here. I take a tablet called Lyrica for neurological pain - spinal cord damaged during back surgery about 15 years ago and a very badly damaged sciatic nerve means that the pains are like fires running down my legs. This is the first thing I found that works, recommended by the otherwise useless doctor standing in at the pain management clinic at Suan Dock a couple of years ago. I need 2 each day which is a box every 4 weeks, even with discount card almost 5,000 baht. But hey, it works. In Australia they were just shy of 1,000 baht a box on the PBS, or as a private prescription (which means full cost) a few baht short of 2,000.

The price here is the same in all pharmacies, so they aren't trying it on, it is very expensive here. The Australian government have obviously negotiated a good deal with the company due to the subsidised prescriptions available to all Australians. I got a year's supply from my GP, and the saving paid for our airfares. Both of us. (Very good deal on flights). For me, the saving is 4,000 baht 13 times a year, or 52,000 baht. That's the SAVING.

It's really worth it for us to go back every year until Lyrica is out of copyright and available generically in however many years is left on their licence.

(We still lodge tax returns as residents because we move around so much from country to country (Chiang Mai is just our base), so we're not bludging or getting anything we're not entitled to.)

Neuropathic pain - not nice.

I presume you've tried Neurontin (Gabapentin generic form), which keeps my pain at bay, 300 mg daily.

In the pharmacy on the ground floor of KSK by the 'blue' food court 100 baht for 10 so it's not bad.

Lyrica is a ridiculous price!

Medical insurance for seniors? Not worth it!!

When you consider insurance costs and the fe3es at major hospitals, self-insured is the ONLY way to go.

Forget about paying some insurance company - MOST pre-existing conditions are not covered - and if you are over 60, that pretty well cpovers everything.

Policy is only in Thai.

I don't really like to write this; but most importantly, you should have your Policy translated to English.

My wife have had an health and life insurance with AIA for the last 20 years (her choice).

Price 20,000 Baht a year and every 3 years she got 15,000 back.

The cover for Hospital is only 50,000 Baht; and it was barely enough for her Appendix operation.

Next year, she has outlived her life insurance, and will get "a lot of money"; but she don't know how much!

My conclusion: I do not trust AIA.

Policy is only in Thai.

Very surprising that no medical was required at age 70 or pre-existing conditions declared......in fact very unusual.

it does not sound right to me. My wife is insured with AIA and they tried to cancel her policy when she was 65. Finall after complaining they said that they wouild only extend it until she is 70.

Policy is only in Thai.

it does not sound right to me. My wife is insured with AIA and they tried to cancel her policy when she was 65. Finall after complaining they said that they wouild only extend it until she is 70.

I am not saying Umbanda is wrong, but if AIA offer medical insurance with profits for 36,000 Baht then I suggest every 70 year old snap it up. I find it almost impossible to believe that any insurance company would take a chance on a 70 year old without pre existing conditions declared, let alone one with pre existing conditions. A serious stroke, heart attack etc could easily mount up to a few million and 70+ would be a vulnerable group for this.

I hate to say it but I thin Ubanda has read something wrong or the pay outs are very small.....I may be wrong.

Don't buy Thai insurance, it's expensive with low caps. I buy an international policy for major medical only with $1,000 USD deductable. My regular check ups I pay out of pocket but have the insurance for heart attack, getting hit by a car etc... Also covers me while I travel abroad. My policy is from England my insurance broker in Hong Kong. Shoot around you will find something.

I agree with Uptheos.

How do you get as years supply through customs? Not that I use them maybe one every other week but I can get a year supply free of Ibuprofen and Celebrex free in Canada. I generally over a period of time give away all the Celebrex and half the Ibuprofen have in the past done so but I never declared them and was always waved through customs.

How do you get as years supply through customs? Not that I use them maybe one every other week but I can get a year supply free of Ibuprofen and Celebrex free in Canada. I generally over a period of time give away all the Celebrex and half the Ibuprofen have in the past done so but I never declared them and was always waved through customs.

Same here. They're in the bags with everything else we're bringing back here. I have a doctor's letter, so I don't worry about it.

I presume you've tried Neurontin (Gabapentin generic form), which keeps my pain at bay, 300 mg daily.

In the pharmacy on the ground floor of KSK by the 'blue' food court 100 baht for 10 so it's not bad.

Tried gabapentin and whilst they made a difference, they don't quite hit the spot. Roll on January 1st 2019 - I'll be having a party. In the meantime, we get a free flight to Melbourne every year.

I know Pfizer has to get it's R & D money back and make profits, but the price really is crazy - I know people who are working in Australia who struggle to afford the PBS subsidised price, so the average Thai would have no chance. They really were a game-changer for me after living with it for so many years

Tried gabapentin and whilst they made a difference, they don't quite hit the spot. Roll on January 1st 2019 - I'll be having a party. In the meantime, we get a free flight to Melbourne every year.

I know Pfizer has to get it's R & D money back and make profits, but the price really is crazy - I know people who are working in Australia who struggle to afford the PBS subsidised price, so the average Thai would have no chance. They really were a game-changer for me after living with it for so many years

How much is Lyrica here?

I'm guessing around 3,000 baht for 28 or thereabouts.

The OP should seriously consider just keeping his insurance from his home country going and being sure he has a good travel insurance policy. He didn't say where he's from. If it's the U.S., some policies will actually cover emergency treatments overseas.

He can supplement this with locally purchased personal accident insurance policy. The personal accident rate here is about 20 times higher than in the west. I'm not talking about vehicular accidents (that's shamefully high, too), but just slip & falls at home and on the sidewalks, etc.

By keeping his health insurance active back home, he can return home if he develops an illness, and by having a local personal accident policy, he'll be covered for something that lands him in the hospital, rendering him unable to travel (like a broken hip). Personal accident policies can be purchased without limits to upper age or pre-existing conditions.

Of course, it goes without saying, he should have appropriate Thai license and insurance for all vehicles he drives here and wear a helmet at all times on a motorcycle. Thailand has the second highest vehicular fatality rate in the world. It's scary high.

Edited by NancyL

Policy is only in Thai.

Something fishy with your policy.

Quote I received from them for under 40 years old was 36000 baht.

Agent has nothing to do with getting policy. Age, prices and conditions are fixed.

Policy is only in Thai.

Can I ask where did you got your policy? I got a high option AIA policy in Chiang Mai when I was 68, two and a half years ago (they will not ensure you if 70 or over). Who filled out the health questionnaire for you? My agent filled it out and said I was in perfect health. The policy would not cover anything for two years, and thought this is how they cover pre-existing conditions. Not the case. Even with the high option, you run into some limits really fast due to the parsing of the amounts for each type of service. Long hospital stays with no surgery are covered pretty well. Were you required to purchase life insurance with the policy? With the required life policy my premium is TB 6,500 a month.

Don't buy Thai insurance, it's expensive with low caps. I buy an international policy for major medical only with $1,000 USD deductable. My regular check ups I pay out of pocket but have the insurance for heart attack, getting hit by a car etc... Also covers me while I travel abroad. My policy is from England my insurance broker in Hong Kong. Shoot around you will find something.

It sounds quite good BngkkB-----And Yes we can "shoot" around all day looking for it all---or maybe you can just give us a link (& make your Broker a happier (richer) man.)

Alternatively you can keep it a .....your...secret ......................coffee1.gif

Policy is only in Thai.

I have the same basic policy, with minimum coverage, and I was surprised too when I got it. I used recently in a expensive private hospital, and I was also surprised that covered for most expenses, even if the Hospital overcharged in everything its can. Good service too. I recommend it, but like the OP said, the policy is in Thai and better to take somebody to help in every case, and look in every details before getting into hospital or treatment.

I bought it in Chiang Rai and I used also in Phayao and Lampang hospitals without any problems. If hospitals are affiliated with the policy, AIA pays directly, if not, returning the money in about 2 weeks. Getting the policy before 70 years old is valid until 80 years old, and with cash value.

Send me a message if you need more details.

Edited by Muzarella

As I grew up in the states medical insurance was important due to the cost of care. For the past 30 years I have lived outside the states. Personally I have found setting aside a percentage of my monthly income in my own "medical emergency" account has been a much better investment. I have always been able to cover any medical problems but I do try to stay healthy.....recently here in Thailand I required a minor surgery. I stayed in the hospital for two days after. The entire cost was almost less then what a private doctors office consultation would have been in the states.

How much is Lyrica here?

I'm guessing around 3,000 baht for 28 or thereabouts.

Just short of 5,000 for a box of 56 x 150mg which lasts me a month . 1,000 baht in Australia, and I've just found out that 300mg are available there (not here so far), so I would only need to take one a day and the box would last 2 months. Huge difference.

Policy is only in Thai.

I don't really like to write this; but most importantly, you should have your Policy translated to English.

My wife have had an health and life insurance with AIA for the last 20 years (her choice).

Price 20,000 Baht a year and every 3 years she got 15,000 back.

The cover for Hospital is only 50,000 Baht; and it was barely enough for her Appendix operation.

Next year, she has outlived her life insurance, and will get "a lot of money"; but she don't know how much!

My conclusion: I do not trust AIA.

Agree. A Thai friend had AIA. He needed an MRI following an injury, but the hospital wouldn't do it without cash upfront because they did not trust AIA either. Supposedly the agent filed a claim for reimbursement, but nothing has ever been paid out. Something close to a year and waiting.

Check out April-international.com, French Company, accepts up to 71years, regulated by French law, i. e.cannot terminate policy one sided, cannot increase price for individual policy, several different schemes.