Everyone Started Calling Me Something Like, "Paw Ngai"

EmptyHead

I think that in the context you describe it's sort of pôr Naay, which may or may roughly mean "respected father"

I think it's certainly not disrespectful, quite the opposite in fact.

I doubt many Thais really respect farangs living in villages.... That's just wishful thinking

And your's is just cynical thinking. If you are disrespected don't assume everybody gets disrespected. It's probably you, not them.

Edited by HerbalEd

Thanks for all the posts!

It sounds like "por ngai" (easy/simple father), like KunBENQ mentioned.

That is if "ngai" means easy/simple in the Isaan dialect.

I still dunno if it is a nice name to be called or not. Any other (young) dads here in Isaan been called this?

And if the literal translation is indeed "easy dad", then how does that actually translate in English? I mean, in what way is it meant? Perhaps, easy-going dad? lazy dad? useless dad? making-parenthood-look-easy dad? etc etc...LOL

It definately isn't "por yai" - that's what all the elderly gentlemen are called around our village.

Any more insight would be appreciated!

Thanks again.

It could possibly mean mug punter. That's what my mates and I call young men with kids here..but I'm a miserable old bugger, you can safely ignore me :) But on the other hand...my time and my money and my old lady are all my own. You pays yer money etc..

...hard to 'read'.....

...have you laid out a lot of money since 'hooking up' with your wife.....

...do you ever feel like you are being 'taken for a ride'.....or...'taken for a fool' ???

...if you are unsure or uneasy......maybe it is not flattering but the contrary.....

....(Do you think they would admit it to your face if it was the case).....I guess they know you 'have no idea' what they are saying....

...maybe secretly record it on your phone...and let a trained ear hear it...

In the Eastern dialect พอ ง่าย (actually I think it's more like พอ งาย) is a common slang term that means camels c#nt, we have a similar word in the UK "mush" which has the same meaning.

No more mushy peas with my fish fry for me!

I know a Thai girl here in Holland who used to call me พ่อใหญ่ "por yai" followed by my name, all with a big smile on her face.

Apparently it is Isaan for grandfather, even though our age difference isn't that big.

Cheeky little bugger :D

Still, she knew I could understand it, so it was all in good fun.

Thanks for all the posts!

It sounds like "por ngai" (easy/simple father), like KunBENQ mentioned.

That is if "ngai" means easy/simple in the Isaan dialect.

I still dunno if it is a nice name to be called or not. Any other (young) dads here in Isaan been called this?

And if the literal translation is indeed "easy dad", then how does that actually translate in English? I mean, in what way is it meant? Perhaps, easy-going dad? lazy dad? useless dad? making-parenthood-look-easy dad? etc etc...LOL

It definately isn't "por yai" - that's what all the elderly gentlemen are called around our village.

Any more insight would be appreciated!

Thanks again.

It's a term used toward me, by those around me who also show the greatest affection, kindness, consideration and generosity.

It seems to be an informal way of addressing individuals who might be be regarded as "senior" by virtue of their age.

Outside of the family it is used when people offer me service or lend me assistance, eg. "l help you Ponyai".

I do not concern myself that it is, in any sense, derogatory.

Yai can mean either big (likely in this case). as in 'big cheese', not necessarily in size. or it can mean old woman.

The first word is [L]yai 'big'. The second word is ยาย [M]yaai 'maternal grandmother'. Different tones, different vowels. (The 'i' is more prominent in the first word.)

Thanks guys,

Some great responses here. I shall post back later when i have more time. I will ask a Thai friend at work what it means, though i expect she will give me vaugue answer like my GF, "It means something like uncle".

So I asked my department manager at work. She said it translates to "simple man/father". She says you only use it with people you are close to and she often uses it with a male collegue of ours, though he is a bit of a numbskull.

But when i asked her she let out a big laugh, clapped her hands, and said, "Hmmm, how do I explain it......" I guess like most things Thai, there can be more than one meaning.

Haha

So just to clarify, we are talking about Paw Ngai, not Paw Yai.

Edited by EmptyHead

Yai can mean either big (likely in this case). as in 'big cheese', not necessarily in size. or it can mean old woman. My wife teases me sometiimes, calling me khun taa (old man), and when we see an old lady in the store, she's a khun yai.

Khun taa (grandfather from a female)

khun yai (grandmother from a female)

Thanks guys,

Some great responses here. I shall post back later when i have more time. I will ask a Thai friend at work what it means, though i expect she will give me vaugue answer like my GF, "It means something like uncle".

Uncle is "ลุง lung" in Thai

You can ask any Thai to translate something you don't understand, they will give you a wrong translation, nobody want a clever farang in the village who can speak Thai.

Why don't you ask them to spell it to you?

Sure this would make it easy.

For such tasks I engage the graunddaughter (15 y) who is the most literate in the house.

She writes it on a sheet of paper, I type it to my PC.

Of course you could also have a Thai type it for you (notepad or so).

But I am afraid many members have not configured their devices to input Thai script and might fail at this hurdle?

In this case, it's the best solution; maybe the OP didn't hear exactly, " ngai, yai " ? ; I ask my girlfriend ( who strangely doesn't make spelling mistakes ) and I type her writing to my PC, that's how I solve this sort of question ( type it in Google is good, too, there are often pictures to show what the word means )

Just asked the wife the only reason she came up with is that your daughter is named "Ngai" you will then be called Pho Ngai or "father of Ngai" after she is born not disrepectfull at all.

In my village the adults are referred to as maa or paw and then the name of their eldest child. so if your oldest kid was named Nam you would be Paw Nam.

It is respectful. but I dislike it because I have had a name since I was born and it is nothing like my daughters name. Why can't they use it?

Anyhow, is your daughters name Ngai, or sounds like that?