Does Bangkok have a monthly Transit Pass

steve654

Not yet.

OTP (Office of Transport Policy and Planning) is developing a pass card that will be available on all modes and potentially retail (very like Hong Kong's Octopus) but is is not planned to go live before mid 2016 (believe that if you wish).

Until then separate passes for BTS (& BRT) and the MRT.

I'm not aware of a bus pass, don't use the beasts.

The obstacle is political / commercial not technical, Rabbit was supposed to go live on the MRT at least 2 years back, all the work had been done, but a commercial agreement never materialised :(

I don't know about the MRT as I live far away from their route, but the BTS has a monthly Pass that covers a certain number of rides at a discounted price. just check their website (google is your friend).

As for the Buses: Considering how they collect the fares on board still until nowadays, I doubt the regular BTMA Buses will be included in any monthly Octopus-alike card system. I think the investment to instal card readers (and even more important: MAINTAIN it) on board of those ramshackle vehicles would be huge, considering a ride costs only 9 Baht on a non-AC Bus

Re BTS, the passes being mentioned aren't the monthly ride all you want for 30 days type monthly pass.

They're a, you get a certain number of pre-purchased trips that need to be used during a certain period type. But beyond those...

Right now, BTS, MRT and ARL each have separate (not interchangeable) ongoing duration stored value cards that can be refilled once the balance is used down. Then you don't have to queue up at ticket machines or station counters to buy individual trips each time.

I've never heard of any kind of pass system for BMTA buses.

Re the future plans, the various Thai authorities have been promising for many years to (back then) at least have a shared pass system between the BTS and MRT, and nothing ever came of it. So, I'm not holding my breath on the future promised shared pass that Crossy mentions above.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807568-transport-ministry-to-launch-common-ticketing-system-next-year/

Also, according to the above news report announcing those plans, the proposed system, at launch, is only supposed to cover BTS and Expressway trips. They're promising to add MRT, ARL and other services "later."

There also seems to be a wonderful "Thainess" irony about that proposal in terms of covering only BTS and expressways initially. Because, I would guess for the majority of work commuters, those driving their cars on expressways probably mostly are not also commuting by BTS. And those commuting by BTS are probably mostly not also commuting by expressways. Hence the wonderful appeal of having a shared pass system between those two.

Don't forget a bus pass doesn't need to be smart, a simple card with an expiry date printed on it or a traditional season ticket (clip for each ride) would do the trick smile.png

Certainly installing a full smart card system on BKKs zillion dead and dying buses is a hiding to nowhere at a cost of 10-20k USD per vehicle (including depot and back office systems) BMTC just don't have the cash.

Don't forget a bus pass doesn't need to be smart, a simple card with an expiry date printed on it or a traditional season ticket (clip for each ride) would do the trick smile.png

Ahh.... but no skim to be grabbed by the various "relevant authorities" for those kinds of no-tech approaches. No consulting contracts, equipment procurement, systems integration, software development, etc etc. Hence, no value or motivation here.

My wife travels to work using both MRT and ARL on a daily basis. She (and we) also often travel on BTS for other purposes. Thus, she has to carry around and periodically top-up three different stored value cards... It's STUPID!

Those three rail lines have been open for many years now, with the ARL being the youngest at, what, 4-5 years at this point. It's emblematic of Thai government/public service inefficiency that they haven't been able to find a way to work together even after all these years.

Separate 30 day passes for BTS, MRT and ARL. But from my experience you really have to calculate your expected journey so see if they are worth it. For myself, the value-added passes were cheaper

That's too bad as it would have been a great way to get around easily. Thanks for replying.

You mean "get around on the cheap" right?

Where does he say "get around on the cheap"

Honestly, go find something constructive to do instead of baiting.

A stored value pass which works across the different systems would be a real plus in Bangkok.

Always appreciated the fact that Hong Kong's Octopus card could be used across nearly all of the modes of transport when I lived there, from ferries to buses to MTR to the ding ding.

Would make life a lot more convenient if something similar finally gets agreed upon & implemented for Bangkok

That's too bad as it would have been a great way to get around easily. Thanks for replying.

What is so onerous about using 2 cards? 1 for the BTS and 1 for the MRT.

I carry both although I don't use the MRT very much.

As for buses, well until they introduce clean, modern, airconditioned buses, I'll leave those horrible rust buckets to the unwashed masses.

BTS and Taxis for me with the occasional MRT ride.

As for buses, well until they introduce clean, modern, airconditioned buses, I'll leave those horrible rust buckets to the unwashed masses.

Nothing onerous about carrying two cards. Or even three (I carry the ARL card in addition to BTS & MRT).

Not the point though really is it?

I'd prefer to have one card which works across all systems, regardless of how frequently or infrequently I use each of them. Only one card to top up and keep track of, instead of several which have to be topped up at different locations or outlets..

I might only use a certain system once a week, or once a month - but at that time, if there is a huge queue for the token/ticket machines, I'm thankful there's a even bunch of cards I have which allows me to skip those queues.

But having only one card just makes sense, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Just because you don't see it as onerous having 2 cards because of your own circumstances, doesn't mean everyone else can't appreciate there might be a more convenient solution possible.

I am one of those "unwashed masses". For sure, the masses on those Buses are more "hygienic" and properly dresssed than the majority of Farang tourists, not only in Pattaya or Chaos-San road.

Apart from that, all those yellow AC-Buses are super-modern with even TV screens to entertain the "unwashed masses". Your post stinks of ignorance and arrogance

Archived