Best hotel breakfast buffet

stament

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would choose Empress, but we have a discount card. It is pricey....for what the quality is..but you can get a good variety. The waffles were really good....the bacon just passed....hot dogs and ham...ehhh. No sausages....that you would want. Basic fruits, juice (sugar), coffee....standard omelets..potatoes, some pastries. I don't make it a habit to go there for breakfast...as it is barely average. The lunch is much better...and same price.

I can't remember about the pork sausages but pork is sold in Malaysia, its not taboo like Dubai.

Pork is taboo in Dubai?

You'd better tell all the hotels doing full English and the supermarkets that sell the stuff then.

For years I have had a membership at the Intercontal which gives me 50% off `and 30 for 2 or more guest. Hard to beat their Sunday Lobster buffet, 5 types of imported oysters and other full board. The dimsum for same discount in their Chinese restaurant is also excelent. If interested contact Sylvia for membership.

I think the OP might not require all this for breakfast.

When in Bangkok i used to stay at the Residence Rajtaevee The Residence Hotel

Really good selection

Also before being pulled down The Downtown Inn Hotel

Looks like i will stay at the Empress Hotel on Chang Klan Road

Anyone been there for Breakfast?

Really good selection

You've got to be kidding. Right?

Really good selection

Really good selection

It's really rewarding to see folks joining in on a thread, having taken the time to read what's already been written. The warm fuzzy feeling it leaves cause one to just jump in to help them...

Buffet at the Holiday Inn has cooks to do omelettes, not sure of cost as I haven't been for quite a while. Agree it's the luck of the draw whether the food is cold or hot. Kantary Hills Soi 12 Nimmanheimen has a good reputation.

Personally, love breakfast at O'Malley's in the Anusarn market on Sunday mornings. 180 baht, orange juice, two slices of toast, superb scrambled eggs, two pork sausages and sliced fried potato -their idea of hash browns. Only took me two years to persuade them I like my coffee after the meal, not before.

Really good selection

Really good selection

It's really rewarding to see folks joining in on a thread, having taken the time to read what's already been written. The warm fuzzy feeling it leaves cause one to just jump in to help them...

The warm fuzzy feeling was from the pesticides in the Downtown Inn just before you fell unconscious.

NORTHERNJOHN, I think you might be thinking about the Raming Lodge Hotel on Loi Kroh Road. Yep, they have a pretty good "boofey" breakfast there. Open from 6:00 AM 'til 10:AM, seven days a week. Ten days ago the price was 220 Baht, but with the way everything keeps changing around here, who knows what it will be tomorrow. It's about halfway up ( going towards Chang Klan Road ) on the left hand side..Loi Kroh is a one way street. If you're driving, stop your vehicle in front of the hotel and tell them you want to eat, and they will find a place for you to park. They have a pretty good selection, eggs sunny side up, over easy, etc. already cooked and covered in a hot pan. Or you can get them to cook yours to order. As I am picking up my eggs I tell the chef, cook, guy behind the grill to make me an omelette. One egg or two sir, and how done and what on it? Three eggs with the works..ok. They also have a revolving toaster, so you just toss your bread on the toaster and wait until it comes out below. They also have all sorts of cereal, corn flakes, cheerios and the like. They have ham and cold meats, soup, chicken thighs, pasta ( yes ) tea, coffee, milk, hot and cold water and sugary juices. I can't for the life a me remember if they have bacon. Probably because I don't eat it. All in all, it's a pretty good way to stuff yourself in the morning...just as long as you are not planning on going trekking or visiting one of the ladies next door in the next twenty minutes or so. If anyone is like me most times in the mornings, I don't usually bother with breakfast. So after my morning pee and run through the park I head off to THE GRAND VIEW hotel. They have an excellent brunch there. Opens at 11:30 AM 'til 2:30 PM. No fried or scrambled eggs, and no bacon. But they have all sorts of crispy veggies, cold cuts, fried, boiled and baked chicken done up in various sauces. There is usually a tray of hard boiled eggs. There is usually a variety of soups available. Pork done up various ways. All the ingredients there to make your own curries, Kichi ( is that how you spell it? ) and some sea food. Cold milk and hot water. Lotsa coffee, tea and hot or warm bread and real butter. I usually pour 1/4 cup of tea and fill the cup with coffee, so I don't know if the coffee is too strong or not. They always have susan crepes, or you can just have the ice cream, usually only one flavour. They always have the usual Thai sweets ( ugh, sorry ) and many types of fruit. If you plan on going on Sunday, it might be better if you phoned in your reservation the day before. Price is 199 baht. Cheap way to wreck yer stomach.

As an after thought, the Raming Lodge hotel does have baked beans, but I'm pretty sure they are canned, because they taste really sweet ( and well, they LOOK like canned beans ) Not that I was really expecting home baked. And as you're grabbing a coupla bananas on the way out, you can ask the lady who takes your money for a discount coupon for your next visit. Wot the heck, you can use the 20 baht to take a song tao over to the park so you can lay there and let yer food digest.

Edited by UPDEHSOI

NORTHERNJOHN, I think you might be thinking about the Raming Lodge Hotel on Loi Kroh Road. Yep, they have a pretty good "boofey" breakfast there. Open from 6:00 AM 'til 10:AM, seven days a week. Ten days ago the price was 220 Baht, but with the way everything keeps changing around here, who knows what it will be tomorrow. It's about halfway up ( going towards Chang Klan Road ) on the left hand side..Loi Kroh is a one way street. If you're driving, stop your vehicle in front of the hotel and tell them you want to eat, and they will find a place for you to park. They have a pretty good selection, eggs sunny side up, over easy, etc. already cooked and covered in a hot pan. Or you can get them to cook yours to order. As I am picking up my eggs I tell the chef, cook, guy behind the grill to make me an omelette. One egg or two sir, and how done and what on it? Three eggs with the works..ok. They also have a revolving toaster, so you just toss your bread on the toaster and wait until it comes out below. They also have all sorts of cereal, corn flakes, cheerios and the like. They have ham and cold meats, soup, chicken thighs, pasta ( yes ) tea, coffee, milk, hot and cold water and sugary juices. I can't for the life a me remember if they have bacon. Probably because I don't eat it. All in all, it's a pretty good way to stuff yourself in the morning...just as long as you are not planning on going trekking or visiting one of the ladies next door in the next twenty minutes or so. If anyone is like me most times in the mornings, I don't usually bother with breakfast. So after my morning pee and run through the park I head off to THE GRAND VIEW hotel. They have an excellent brunch there. Opens at 11:30 AM 'til 2:30 PM. No fried or scrambled eggs, and no bacon. But they have all sorts of crispy veggies, cold cuts, fried, boiled and baked chicken done up in various sauces. There is usually a tray of hard boiled eggs. There is usually a variety of soups available. Pork done up various ways. All the ingredients there to make your own curries, Kichi ( is that how you spell it? ) and some sea food. Cold milk and hot water. Lotsa coffee, tea and hot or warm bread and real butter. I usually pour 1/4 cup of tea and fill the cup with coffee, so I don't know if the coffee is too strong or not. They always have susan crepes, or you can just have the ice cream, usually only one flavour. They always have the usual Thai sweets ( ugh, sorry ) and many types of fruit. If you plan on going on Sunday, it might be better if you phoned in your reservation the day before. Price is 199 baht. Cheap way to wreck yer stomach.

As an after thought, the Raming Lodge hotel does have baked beans, but I'm pretty sure they are canned, because they taste really sweet ( and well, they LOOK like canned beans ) Not that I was really expecting home baked. And as you're grabbing a coupla bananas on the way out, you can ask the lady who takes your money for a discount coupon for your next visit. Wot the heck, you can use the 20 baht to take a song tao over to the park so you can lay there and let yer food digest.

Yes that is the one. I walk by it to get to acupuncture in the old city and was planning on leaving early and giving it a whirl. Sounds good for the price. I like their burgers and hot dog. Just have to remember to cook the bacon crisp as it is easier to chew with out pulling half the fillings out. Not big on the Grandview. I don't find that big of a selection there. Also that price does not include water that is an extra.

One of the cheaper buffets, although still expensive for daily consumption, is at the Empress Hotel, a few blocks south of the Night Bazaar area. For around 300 baht each, one can have all the bacon necessary to start the day. Fried eggs, omelets, and scrambled eggs are the extent of the selections for eggs.

Fresh, hot waffles, toast, various other breads and baked pastries, lots of fresh fruit, juices, coffee and tea are included in the price. There are some Thai items as well, but I'd say it's primarily geared for the international guest. Baked beans, wiener sausages, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, cold cereals, yogurt, on and on; it's really an extensive buffet.

And, of course, one doesn't have to stay at the hotel to enjoy the breakfast.

The Buffet Lunch at the Empress is also excellent value. Starts at 11.30 and it pays to phone and book a table.

Hi northernjohn. Sorry to be gettin' back at ya so late. But it ain't all that important anyway, I think. Just a small correction. It must have been some time since you visited the GRANDVIEW. Not plugging the joint, but at every place setting they put one medium sized bottle of water, along with a wine glass. And they will give you another one free if you request it. The bottled water has the Grandview logo on it, so I don't know who bottles the water. ( some people are fussy about the brand of water they drink, and rightly so...imho )Anyway, for what it's worth....

Hi northernjohn. Sorry to be gettin' back at ya so late. But it ain't all that important anyway, I think. Just a small correction. It must have been some time since you visited the GRANDVIEW. Not plugging the joint, but at every place setting they put one medium sized bottle of water, along with a wine glass. And they will give you another one free if you request it. The bottled water has the Grandview logo on it, so I don't know who bottles the water. ( some people are fussy about the brand of water they drink, and rightly so...imho )Anyway, for what it's worth....

Yes it has but unless they have added on to the building they still have a limited selection of food.

I did the Raming Lodge Hotel this morning I will not be doing it again. 220 baht was a little high for the buffet. The ham was sliced ham that you buy in the stores in packages. The fried potatoes were not crisp The bacon was OK but if some one was serious about it they would have to wait for it. The omelets were good. Did not try the pancakes or the French toast. They didn't look all that great.

Still hoping some one will come up with a buffet that has Eggs Benedict.

For years I have had a membership at the Intercontal which gives me 50% off `and 30 for 2 or more guest. Hard to beat their Sunday Lobster buffet, 5 types of imported oysters and other full board. The dimsum for same discount in their Chinese restaurant is also excelent. If interested contact Sylvia for membership.

I think the OP might not require all this for breakfast.

It's so jetsetting though, flying down to Bangkok just for Sunday lunch.

does the shangrila or meridien have eggs benefict?

Have eaten several times at the La Meridian yet to see them. Mind you they keep changing things I finally just stopped going. The price was way to high for what they offered. At one time they tried order off the menu and did not have them on it.

Can't say about the ShangriLa. I highly doubt it. Had the buffet for diner one night and it defiantly was not a class act.

I really must question anyone who argues Grandview Lunch buffet is not good value. Not even 200 stinkin' baht for unlimited, reasonably prepared, from various continents with ample animal proteins, high density carbohydrates, vegies and fruits, raw leaves and fish, free drinks (excluding beer), real (not plastic) eating utensils, cloth nappies (aka serviettes), NO SMOKING INSIDE, etc, etc. I can grant you that no buffet offers the very best quality food but for gut filling value i've yet to find anywhere in CM coming close to Grandview.

For vegetarians, go to Chun Khun buffet for lunch. Located in old CM Cultural Center, south of moat. Also very good value, as above but no meat. Maybe eggs and tofu dishes. Nice variety and less gut-busting than GV hotel.

I really must question anyone who argues Grandview Lunch buffet is not good value. Not even 200 stinkin' baht for unlimited, reasonably prepared, from various continents with ample animal proteins, high density carbohydrates, vegies and fruits, raw leaves and fish, free drinks (excluding beer), real (not plastic) eating utensils, cloth nappies (aka serviettes), NO SMOKING INSIDE, etc, etc. I can grant you that no buffet offers the very best quality food but for gut filling value i've yet to find anywhere in CM coming close to Grandview.

For vegetarians, go to Chun Khun buffet for lunch. Located in old CM Cultural Center, south of moat. Also very good value, as above but no meat. Maybe eggs and tofu dishes. Nice variety and less gut-busting than GV hotel.

I thought this was a Breakfast Buffet thread, but yes the Grandview Buffet is a great lunch buffet -- probably the best value for money in town. You forgot to mention how they have an excellent dessert selection for the price, too.

I stand by my comment on Grandview.

How ever for price and gut filling I think you can not beat Chun Khun if that is the one that used to be on Soi 17 Nehmanhaman. (go north on it and it turns into the superhighway)

Well I guess I made a mess of the spelling but you see what I am trying to say. I had heard they moved by the airport just not where.

I thought this was a Breakfast Buffet thread, but yes the Grandview Buffet is a great lunch buffet -- probably the best value for money in town. You forgot to mention how they have an excellent dessert selection for the price, too.

It is but hey if people want to tell me about good quality lunch buffets then I'm cool with that

It is but hey if people want to tell me about good quality lunch buffets then I'm cool with that

For people who get up late the lunch buffet is breakfast so i think they should be included in the thread.

Does the Grand View do a breakfast buffet?

Umm, for ME it's usually a breakfast buffet. They open the doors at EXACTLY 11:30 AM, and if you're still there at 2:30 PM they will ask you if you would like anything else to eat before they start removing the food. If you don't feel like moving with all that food inside you, then grab one last cuppa coffee and sit in the outside area. They don't care if you sit there all day. BTW, if you intend on having Sunday brunch there, It might be wise to phone in a reservation the day before.

If your after a fine international buffet breakfast, go to the kad Caffè at the Chiang Mai Shangri la. The bacon is good, eggs will be prepared any way you like, they have a reasonable variety of cheeses and a heap of assorted baked goods and breads. Then they also cater for the Asian pallet, so a wide choice of good quality food. Second choice would be the holiday inn. Good luck & enjoy your stay in Chiang Mai. Oh you may have noticed, there are a lot of bored expats on this forum that miss the point of your initial question.

• 4 months later...

Mercure was recommended before. Is this still something to go for? Have expiring 80 Euro of Accor vouchers and would make a nice evening with korean BBQ around the corner, a night at the hotel and hopefully good breakfast buffet. Anyone tried recently?