Fall of Ramadi raises doubts about US strategy in Iraq

webfact

I think the strategy is great.

Let them use up all their weapons and money fighting each other.

Iran is crapping itself because it doesn't know how to deal with the threat (maybe that's why it wants a nuke).

Assad doesn't know who he's supposed to be fighting.

Saudi and the rest of the GCC are crapping themselves because they're scared of Iran *and* IS, even though it was them that gave IS real legs in the first place. Just crack open a beer, microwave some popcorn and sit back and watch the show.

It will be a lot easier to restore order when a few of the various factions have been eliminated.

Going in there now just makes you a target for all of them.

Let them use up all their weapons and money fighting each other.

You just lost the plot on that one. The IS controls the banks and the oil in the territory they now own. They have no problem with money, and they capture all the weapons they need when the Iraqi army runs away.

You're both on target. Let the various factions fight to see who can yell 'Allah Akbar!' the loudest and longest. They're going to chop off hands of thieves, and cut girls' clitorises off, and stone adulterers and gays. Nothing that clean-up-other-peoples'- messes westerners can do to change that. It's just too bad the massive overflow tries so desperately to get to western countries. They don't head for Pakistan or Iran or even Indonesia or Malaysia or Saudi Arabia. All are fellow Muslim countries, but people speak with their feet - and it's obvious they want to go where there are reasonable people, fair laws, free speech, and generous welfare programs.

Having heard the White House spokesman, and the State Department spokeswoman call the fall of Ramadi a "setback" and that the overall policy is successful, it is obvious that the W H is staffed by loons, and they have no strategy other than lying to the American public.

Unfortunately the Obama administration continues to arm IS by sending weapons to the phantom Iraqi army.

I can foresee Iraq being split up between Iran, Saudi and Kurdistan. Mind you, that has been obvious to me for many years anyway, and is inevitable unless the US reoccupies Iraq, and hopefully they will not do that. Iraq was an invention of the colonial powers and was unsustainable without a dictator in charge.

I dont think Iraqis, Shia or not, wants to become part of Iran, I dont think any western allies of Iraq wants that either. If the Kurds gets an even bigger share of Iraq and if Iran gets a piece of Iraq, then theres going to be problems and animosity lingering in Iraq for another 100 years.

A Shia Arab, Sunni Arab and Kurdish split of the country would have made more sense in a time of relative piece. The big problem is that the oil fields are in Shia dominated and Kurdish regions but not in the Sunni dominated region. The Kurds have already showed that they want to handle the oil contracts themselves without interference. The Sunni Arabs are at a risk of being left with nothing if the country becomes split in three parts.

Edited by BKKBobby

I dont think Iraqis, Shia or not, wants to become part of Iran, I dont think any western allies of Iraq wants that either. If the Kurds gets an even bigger share of Iraq and if Iran gets a piece of Iraq, then theres going to be problems and animosity lingering in Iraq for another 100 years.

A Shia Arab, Sunni Arab and Kurdish split of the country would have made more sense in a time of relative piece. The big problem is that the oil fields are in Shia dominated and Kurdish regions but not in the Sunni dominated region. The Kurds have already showed that they want to handle the oil contracts themselves without interference. The Sunni Arabs are at a risk of being left with nothing if the country becomes split in three parts.

The Shias will not have a choice and the western "allies" won't do anything about it anyway.

Neville Chamberlain would feel right at home now. Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it and Obama is the US's Chamberlain.

The Sunni part of Iraq will be absorbed into Saudi Arabia.

Discontent will continue to rule in those dunes. No matter which way the lines are re-drawn, there will inevitably be hot-heads shouting 'Allah Akbar!' and cruising for blood, virgins and easy money.