Staying fit for five weeks in Thailand

Craig krup

I'm basically rehearsing my retirement. I might jack in work quite soon, but at the moment I'm just making use of long holidays to explore the options. Last year I spent five weeks in Thailand. I'm basically quite fit - on a distribution of fifty year old males I'd be way out on the right. That's not boasting, it's just noting a fact for what comes next. I tried to stay fit in Thailand but it just proved impossible. For twenty minutes I can kick out about 300w of power, which is 600 watts of heat. With high temperatures and high humidity you just can't ditch that heat into the environment, so you overheat and have to slow down. Running stairs, doing step ups fast in the park.....you're just saturated in water after ten minutes and your heart rate is 132 beats a minute. If I try to use the next thirty beats - to try and maintain fitness - the heat production soars and you're looking at a heat injury if you keep going. I tried step ups under the air con in the hotel room, which works a lot better, but you're still looking at low 150s on the heart rate, for the simple reason that half the time you're lowering yourself, so there isn't much work involved. The only practical way that I could see to maintain fitness is to join a gym with air conditioning. It's that or buy a bike, and I'm not convinced that cycling is that safe or (maybe) that effective.

So, it's either 1) set down for a month in somewhere with a decent gym and buy a month's membership, 2) plan an itinerary around gyms that allow you to pay daily, or 3) find a better way to beast yourself under the air con in the room.

Am I missing something? I came within a hairsbreadth of buying another flight - £510 return from Glasgow with 41 day stopover! - but then someone reminded me of the state I was in when I arrived back last year. I was in bits for months, and I'm not completely right even now.

What do you think? Plan holiday around gyms, or what?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we're travelling around, my husband exercises daily in the hotel room with the air conditioner on full blast. He uses small tables, chairs, water bottles, pretty much anything he can lift, and he runs on the spot or pretends he is using a skipping rope and push ups for cardio. Once a week he treats himself to a day in a setup with gym, sauna, and a pool to laze around afterwards. Many of the more expensive hotels offer day memberships.

(He actually plays the 'sneaking in' game, not avoiding staff but not approaching them with cash in hand. A couple of years ago we worked it out that he gets away without paying about 60% of the time. If you look furtive and guilty, you are sprung very quickly.)

EDIT: He keeps it in mind that he is on holiday and not doing serious workouts.

Edited by Konini

I'm afraid that the heat and humidity is part and parcel for most of Thailand. That said it varies depending on the time of year, and where you are. They do get cold weather, even frost in some parts of the north, so you might want to check out the climate in different parts to help you decide when to go, where to stay if you really dislike the heat. But 34C in Chiang Mai today.

April and May are two of the hottest months, so if you are looking to go now, you have picked the worst time.

The best times to go jogging are normally very early morning, or in the evening around sunset, (but I'm sure you already know that). I normally go cycling around 7am or 5:15pm, when the heats starts to dissipate a little. So it is possible to plan your exercise to avoid the worst of it.

As for gyms, most of the muay thai gyms allow you to pay daily and join the group classes if that interests you, and most normal gyms will at least have some fans blowing.

Hope this helps.

When we're travelling around, my husband exercises daily in the hotel room with the air conditioner on full blast. He uses small tables, chairs, water bottles, pretty much anything he can lift, and he runs on the spot or pretends he is using a skipping rope and push ups for cardio. Once a week he treats himself to a day in a setup with gym, sauna, and a pool to laze around afterwards. Many of the more expensive hotels offer day memberships.

(He actually plays the 'sneaking in' game, not avoiding staff but not approaching them with cash in hand. A couple of years ago we worked it out that he gets away without paying about 60% of the time. If you look furtive and guilty, you are sprung very quickly.)

EDIT: He keeps it in mind that he is on holiday and not doing serious workouts.

Without air con I found that I couldn't get to 25 push ups without the water pouring out of me! After a few sets you're basically swimming in a pool of your own bodily fluids. But yes - something like the old Canadian 5BX plan - a beasting on the spot under the air con - with the odd red-line effort in a proper gym might do it. You can avoid muscle wastage without too many problems, but it's 90% of your oxygen consumption for twenty minutes that's out of the question: as Scotty would say, "You canny change the laws of physics".

The best times to go jogging are normally very early morning, or in the evening around sunset, (but I'm sure you already know that). I normally go cycling around 7am or 5:15pm, when the heats starts to dissipate a little. So it is possible to plan your exercise to avoid the worst of it. One

One thing I noticed in Nong Khai was that on the few occasions when the temperature dropped suddenly and a weather front came in the walkway was full of local joggers who knew that such opportunities weren't to be missed. I thought about 100m fast, walk recover, but while you can stop the muscles wasting and retain some of the anaerobic fitness, you're still losing endurance. I thought I had been terribly imaginative when I realised that you could do blasting efforts around the park and then cool off in the MRT/BST in Bangkok, and within a short time of thinking that I saw a big European doing it at the park in Mo Chit. So in Bangkok if you had a pass - and didn't mind dripping on the locals! - one lap, and then one stop out and back, might be quite groovy.

I think at almost any time of year the weather is pleasant enough at 6am to excercise, so I think that is your solution. Also, you do get used to the weather, so if you were to retire here I think you'd find exercising in the heat would become easier over time - nevertheless, you'll still want to keep to early mornings and evenings if exercising outside.

I think exercising in the heat and humidity just takes stamina and mental toughness, plus plenty of water and the occasional electrolyte. I think once you break the heat barrier then you won't have an issue. I find the air pollution to be far more of an issue than the heat and humidity. If you are as fit as you state then I'm sure you will surprise yourself with how quickly acclimatising is achieved.

I imagine that anyone coming from Europe would find it tough going until they acclimatised. I run regularly during the day, but I did that for years in the heat of the day in Australia. It's just a case of managing the impact of running in heat and humidity i.e. Hydrate before and during your run, wear loose climate cool sports wear that takes the sweat away from your body and if you wear a cap then get a quality one that allows airflow. Sweating is a sign that you are well hydrated, the concern when you are running long distances is if your sweat rate drops or stops.

So why not come here with the notion that you are going to beat the heat and smash out some good workouts in the open. Anyway good luck to you in finding the right environment for you to get the best out of yourself.

riding the road bicycle at high speed isn't that bad, as the wind cools you.

Need lots of water with electrolytes.....1.5-2 liter per hour, prefer morning and get used to it.

And start it slow else you risk falling dead of the bike.

I think at almost any time of year the weather is pleasant enough at 6am to excercise, so I think that is your solution. Also, you do get used to the weather, so if you were to retire here I think you'd find exercising in the heat would become easier over time - nevertheless, you'll still want to keep to early mornings and evenings if exercising outside.

Well, it isn't a question of getting used to it, it's a question of physics. For every watt of useful power you produce you produce two of heat, and if you don't ditch the heat into the environment you die. Three TA SAS soldier's died a couple of years ago when they went uphill with a rucksack on, wearing dark cotton, on a hot day. You can work it out on the back of an envelope - E = CMdeltaT, and you can assume that the body is essentially water. With no loss into the environment and 300W of power an 80kg person will raise their temperature by 3 degrees in about forty minutes, and then they'll suffer a catastrophic heat injury. Long before that you'll be intensely uncomfortable, and be doing yourself - particularly your muscles - a lot of damage.

It will get easier as you get older because your training zone will come down! When you can only do 150W for thirty minutes, you'll be producing 300W of heat, and with the same skin area as you had when you were younger you might be okay. But there's no secret sauce: generate heat faster than you can ditch it into the environment and you will injure yourself, and then (if you persist) you'll die.

I think exercising in the heat and humidity just takes stamina and mental toughness, plus plenty of water and the occasional electrolyte. I think once you break the heat barrier then you won't have an issue. I find the air pollution to be far more of an issue than the heat and humidity. If you are as fit as you state then I'm sure you will surprise yourself with how quickly acclimatising is achieved.

I imagine that anyone coming from Europe would find it tough going until they acclimatised. I run regularly during the day, but I did that for years in the heat of the day in Australia. It's just a case of managing the impact of running in heat and humidity i.e. Hydrate before and during your run, wear loose climate cool sports wear that takes the sweat away from your body and if you wear a cap then get a quality one that allows airflow. Sweating is a sign that you are well hydrated, the concern when you are running long distances is if your sweat rate drops or stops.

So why not come here with the notion that you are going to beat the heat and smash out some good workouts in the open. Anyway good luck to you in finding the right environment for you to get the best out of yourself.

"I think exercising in the heat and humidity just takes stamina and mental toughness.."

As I say, it's just physics - for the kind of exercise I'm talking about toughness isn't really the issue. If you've a "300 watt motor" and you don't want it to become a "250 watt motor" in five weeks you have to run it at 300W, and unless old Watt, Kelvin, Boyle and the rest of them were wrong that's 600W of heat to get rid off. It's no more a question of toughness than running a car with a busted radiator - if you're tough enough, and your motors big enough, you'll follow those TA SAS recruits into the grave. sad.png

Need lots of water with electrolytes.....1.5-2 liter per hour, prefer morning and get used to it.

Now this was what I arrived at as a solution - 7/11s everywhere, freezing water at 15B a litre, and even with high temperatures and high humidity you're probably losing a lot of heat into the environment. Of course it mean getting a bike, hoping you don't get knocked off it, and accepting that your skin is going to take a hell of a beating. biggrin.png

Well, it isn't a question of getting used to it, it's a question of physics. For every watt of useful power you produce you produce two of heat, and if you don't ditch the heat into the environment you die. Three TA SAS soldier's died a couple of years ago when they went uphill with a rucksack on, wearing dark cotton, on a hot day. You can work it out on the back of an envelope - E = CMdeltaT, and you can assume that the body is essentially water. With no loss into the environment and 300W of power an 80kg person will raise their temperature by 3 degrees in about forty minutes, and then they'll suffer a catastrophic heat injury. Long before that you'll be intensely uncomfortable, and be doing yourself - particularly your muscles - a lot of damage.

It will get easier as you get older because your training zone will come down! When you can only do 150W for thirty minutes, you'll be producing 300W of heat, and with the same skin area as you had when you were younger you might be okay. But there's no secret sauce: generate heat faster than you can ditch it into the environment and you will injure yourself, and then (if you persist) you'll die.

Well it isn't that you don't ditch any heat, just not enough. If overheat a little bit it doesn't do harm if used to. If you healthy and used to the heat you'll feel the limits very clear and without danger. Important is to be lightweight, I think I feel a difference if I weight 68 or 64 kg, same skin surface for less weight + less fat layer.

Now this was what I arrived at as a solution - 7/11s everywhere, freezing water at 15B a litre, and even with high temperatures and high humidity you're probably losing a lot of heat into the environment. Of course it mean getting a bike, hoping you don't get knocked off it, and accepting that your skin is going to take a hell of a beating. biggrin.png

yes road bike (wind), if you are luck to be in an area with acceptable traffic (not Bangkok). Here in the South are in average every 500 meter some small shop that has water and ice.

I have 2x 0.75 liter on the bike, water with electrolyte (I believe the ambient temperature water goes faster into the body than cold one, but I might be wrong). You need some electrolytes at that amount of sweating I use Hi5 but something like 25-50 % of the recommended amount (well they want to sell it).

When the 1.5 liter are finished I resupply at the next shop.

Skin.....yes, the sun here bites and it seems when you are wet with sweat it bites even more. You need to start it slow and use suncream on the beginning till your skin is used to it. My arms are already Thai color but more if 2 hours of full sun they still get red below the brown....

to add: some people are sensitive to the sun on the head. In this case buy a bicycle helmet.

For me it is no problem at all, but some people seem to get serious problems.....

Craig krup - please help me understand your theory. You have a mathematic equation which states it is impossible to dissipate enough heat to properly exercise in Thailand (or, I guess, in the tropics in general). Yet, in the real world, many athletes DO manage to exercise and train in Thailand and other tropical climates - even without the benefit of aircon. Please explain - I'm must be missing something... do you believe poor Thai's throughout the country train for muay thai at expensive air-conditioned gyms?

post-30101-0-69238100-1432344291_thumb.j

I fully agree with mikebike and I don't understand why you are trying to argue it's physically impossible to do tough exercises in this climate. If it's about maintaining the fitness you have and you feel the heat is getting in the way of that. Join an aircon gym. Switch from cardio to weights as it's much more effective in the long run, especially if you wanna maintain. If you really wanna challange yourself. Join a muay thai gym for 1 month and give yourself one week of rest afterwards.

If you are looking to just simply stay fit without sweating your nuts off... Find a place to stay with or near a decent pool and push yourself doing laps.

I see lots of super fit people in the gym I visit (me not included but I am getting there) and they seem to be coping fine.

Edited by martijn12345

I just moved my treadmill into our guest bedroom which is the cheapest to run the aircon for an hour or so. I know your question was about a holiday but when you move here permanently you you can pick up a decent treadmill for about 20K baht.

Craig krup - please help me understand your theory. You have a mathematic equation which states it is impossible to dissipate enough heat to properly exercise in Thailand (or, I guess, in the tropics in general). Yet, in the real world, many athletes DO manage to exercise and train in Thailand and other tropical climates - even without the benefit of aircon. Please explain - I'm must be missing something... do you believe poor Thai's throughout the country train for muay thai at expensive air-conditioned gyms?

heat is limiting cardio power output. Without wind, lets say uphill with the bicycle you'll be slower at 38 degree and 85% moisture than at 20 degree and 70% moisture.

May I suggest that while on holiday .. Forget about running and jumping all over the place and spending needless boring hours in the gym. You can do that at home without wasting your money on a flight and accommodation while on holiday. In this tropical climate a simple extended walk followed by a swim is enough exercise to keep things in order.

Thailand is a great place to relax and enjoy ... well, everything really. One point to remember is that most local people associate a fit, perhaps over toned body with being gay. Steroid induced bulges are a serious turn off, particularly for girls. If that's your intention, ok enjoy.

I fully agree with mikebike and I don't understand why you are trying to argue it's physically impossible to do tough exercises in this climate. If it's about maintaining the fitness you have and you feel the heat is getting in the way of that. Join an aircon gym. Switch from cardio to weights as it's much more effective in the long run, especially if you wanna maintain. If you really wanna challange yourself. Join a muay thai gym for 1 month and give yourself one week of rest afterwards.

If you are looking to just simply stay fit without sweating your nuts off... Find a place to stay with or near a decent pool and push yourself doing laps.

I see lots of super fit people in the gym I visit (me not included but I am getting there) and they seem to be coping fine.

Cardio and weights is total different kind of fitness.....Fit muscles mean little for the fitness of the cardiovascular system. And a prime bicycle racer will lift only weights like a girl. Best is to do both a cardio like bicycle or running and weight training.

May I suggest that while on holiday .. Forget about running and jumping all over the place and spending needless boring hours in the gym. You can do that at home without wasting your money on a flight and accommodation while on holiday. In this tropical climate a simple extended walk followed by a swim is enough exercise to keep things in order.

Thailand is a great place to relax and enjoy ... well, everything really. One point to remember is that most local people associate a fit, perhaps over toned body with being gay. Steroid induced bulges are a serious turn off, particularly for girls. If that's your intention, ok enjoy.

I fully agree with the over toned body. But there are lots of girls who love steroid size muscle.....But a beer belly and a wallet on steroids would do better.

I used to work in Ethiopia and I would do 12 to 14 hour days outside allday long. It was normally 55 degrees and I lived in a tent during the night with no AC. This heat is nothing compared to what I used to put up with back then.

I have set up my own mini gymn in my house. Myself and a friend lift weights for three to four hours a day three days a week. We have free weights and a machine with 12 stations(different excersizes possible). We have been doing it for two years ,we do not lift on weekends.Also every evening from 5 to 7:30 or 8 we play badminton with a group of friends. I also have a running machine in my living room that I use every morning and do 5k while watching tv. Originally I tried riding a bike on the streets but after having to dodge traffic and getting hit once(from behind) I decided enough of that. ...Yes it is hot...but take electrolytes. You get used to it...

This sounds more and more like a troll, but i still risk feeding it...

If training is so important, then you better plan your holiday and life around the gym......

You talk about mathematic equation which states it is impossible to dissipate enough heat to properly exercise in Thailand (or, I guess, in the tropics in general). Yet, in the real world, many athletes DO manage to exercise and train in Thailand and other tropical climates - even without the benefit of aircon. Please explain - I'm must be missing something... do you believe poor Thai's throughout the country train for muay thai at expensive air-conditioned gyms?

I fully agree with the over toned body. But there are lots of girls who love steroid size muscle.....But a beer belly and a wallet on steroids would do better.

Yes, you are right, it's true. Partly made in humour I know but it's a very valid point. I also find that a big smile goes a long way, particularly if it's timed to coincide with the big wallet being produced. 5555

Back to the op ... I'm trying to get my head round someone going on holiday and then spending time working out and even planning/asking advice on the subject. What a waste of holiday time !

(I think it's a troll)

Op it seems from an outsiders perspective that during a 20 minute workout you typically enjoy generating around 300 Watts of electricity with around 600 Watt of wasted heat. It would be interesting to see your carbon credit score, though I'm not suggesting your doing any harm to the environment as long as your not noshing down too many heinz baked beanz.

I'd strongly urge you to work towards some sort of set up, were you have a 150 Watt dynamo on each foot, linked to a light bulb on either a cap or stiff wire over hanging your cranium. This way as you start to generate electricity and your misguided notions about heat dissipation kick in, the light will serve as a warning to others you may be considering baffling brains with bullshit.

Edited by msealey

I find that an early-morning run works for me & I guess the same would apply for a bike-ride - if you have a safe route to follow.

The catch is you need to start right on dawn (or even a few minutes prior). In the hot season the sun starts to heat everything up within just 30 minutes or so.

Don't push too hard... if you start to feel it, slow down to a walk - which is still doing you good.

I exercise every morning.. out the door by 5 AM.. while it is relatively cool.. I'm lucky to have a 1 K walking track nearby... 1hr.. 4 or 5 laps helps keep the weight down.. a good exercise machine at home is good too.. an elliptical trainer or cross-trainer is my preferred beast...

"I think exercising in the heat and humidity just takes stamina and mental toughness.."

As I say, it's just physics - for the kind of exercise I'm talking about toughness isn't really the issue. If you've a "300 watt motor" and you don't want it to become a "250 watt motor" in five weeks you have to run it at 300W, and unless old Watt, Kelvin, Boyle and the rest of them were wrong that's 600W of heat to get rid off. It's no more a question of toughness than running a car with a busted radiator - if you're tough enough, and your motors big enough, you'll follow those TA SAS recruits into the grave. sad.png

Then why do so many marathon runners come from Ethiopia and Sudan, which are 50 degrees c in the shade?

Shouldn't they all be dead because of math and physics?