Staying fit for five weeks in Thailand

Craig krup

A long post(deleted) because I can see only one point.

Now tell me why you are doing all this fitness type exercise in the first place, is it to compete, look good, feel healthy, to beat the clock,stay alive longer, worry yourself into an early grave. What drives you to this.

By the way Im 62 and not fit(but I can walk most places, swim enough and do enough exercises to I enjoy my life here.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A more sensible training regime for Thailand is:

One shag before bed and one shag in the morning. Repeat as often as required.clap2.gif

2 x 2 minutes are way too less cheesy.gif

That why many Farangs add intensive HIT liver training to it.

...tell me why you are doing all this fitness type exercise in the first place, is it to compete, look good, feel healthy, to beat the clock,stay alive longer, worry yourself into an early grave. What drives you to this.

By the way Im 62 and not fit(but I can walk most places, swim enough and do enough exercises to I enjoy my life here.

I too was curious as to the OP's motivation prior to reading all his posts. Now I believe it is as simple as his wanting to maintain a personal level of 'fitness' he defines by a certain specific set of indicators. As the OP stated, not pedantic - just a focused, narrow, specific, numerical target for successful workouts for him. To each his or her own!!

Antidotally I would be on the other end of the workout spectrum. Other than a six week rehab period in my 30s after a motorbike accident I have never set foot in a gym to workout. I am 53 and am within 2-3 kilos of my weight at 18. I much prefer participatory exercise and continue to enjoy beach footy, badminton, basketball, volleyball, waterskiing, sailing, bicycling, ice hockey, snowboarding, hiking, kayaking, swimming, dancing, etc... usually followed by a ciggy and a beer!! To each his or her own!!!

I have just returned from the UK and feel better already,as for exercise I am with Oscar Wilde on this " when I feel the need to exercise ,I lay down until the feeling goes away,"

Edited by i claudius

To be honest as long as can get up in the morning, feel amazing, look the way I do, lift heavy shit, run as much as i need to, I don't really care whatever your measure is. Perhaps you need to chill the hell out and work out whether in 10 or 15 years you can lift you ass off the toilet, put your baggage in the overhead locker, carry your shopping home and still string a sentence together. Oh and btw my resting heart rate is 68!

So there you go.

1) You've got strong opinions which, to make sense, depend on certain things being facts.

2) You don't care about whether those things are facts.

I have no opinions about make-up, the restoration of Victorian dolls, gardening, the keeping of horses or an infinity of other things. I know nothing about these things. That's why I don't trenchantly advance my views.

[My resting heart is down in the low forties, although I feel more than a little cheesy saying it, so I guess my threshold for social embarrassment is up in the high ninetiesclap2.gif My commitment to trying to get a sane resolution on discussions about things that matter is also up in the high nineties. So....

given that quite a lot of people seem to think that "unpleasantness" = "physiological usefulness" we need to make this clear, although it wasn't my intention at the start. To reiterate, If you've been relying on rate of perceived exertion - "toughness" - as you measure of intensity and usefulness of exercise in the tropics you've been making a serious mistake. If anyone knows what (for example) their 5k time was before they left for Thailand, and they've been relying on "tough" outdoor workouts for a while, I'd love to hear what your 5k time is when you're back in Europe on a holiday. I'll bet your performance has fallen off a cliff. Something to think about if you want to retain as much of your work capacity as possible as you get older, and put of the period of time when you "..can't lift your ass off the toilet", or do an infinity of other things.]

...tell me why you are doing all this fitness type exercise in the first place, is it to compete, look good, feel healthy, to beat the clock,stay alive longer, worry yourself into an early grave. What drives you to this.

I too was curious as to the OP's motivation prior to reading all his posts. Now I believe it is as simple as his wanting to maintain a personal level of 'fitness' he defines by a certain specific set of indicators. As the OP stated, not pedantic - just a focused, narrow, specific, numerical target for successful workouts for him. To each his or her own!!

Antidotally I would be on the other end of the workout spectrum. Other than a six week rehab period in my 30s after a motorbike accident I have never set foot in a gym to workout. I am 53 and am within 2-3 kilos of my weight at 18. I much prefer participatory exercise and continue to enjoy beach footy, badminton, basketball, volleyball, waterskiing, sailing, bicycling, ice hockey, snowboarding, hiking, kayaking, swimming, dancing, etc... usually followed by a ciggy and a beer!! To each his or her own!!!

Good post. I think a large part of my problem is 1) getting properly assessed when I was in my early 20s,. 2) exercising hard, but not too long, regularly and 3) being staggered at just how effective that exercise was.

Running up a slope on the treadmill in the Glasgow Uni physiology lab and breathing into Douglas bags told me what my VO2 max was with absolute precision. [62ml per kg, or 5.02l total: not great, but not bad! biggrin.png Another student project told me what my basal metabolic rate was, and my percentage bodyfat using immersion weighing. Now all I do is avoid junk food and exercise hard a few times a week. Two years ago I managed the 3,000m pursuit on pro-standard lab equipment with 360W of power the whole way. Basically I haven't really deteriorated at all. I've just done my Sunday pull-ups! First set I can do 17 from a dead hang: not great, but as many as I could do a quarter of a century ago when I was fit. I was very fit at 25, and I'm amazed at how easy it has been to retain that. The only setback I've had in a quarter of a century is spending 5 weeks in Thailand and trying to get by through exercising in an oven. It just doesn't work, and I lost more in a little more than a month than I've lost in two decades. Finding a way to really work in Thailand is a major issue, and if anyone reading this is a regular exerciser, and you know you were (say) sub 17 minutes for 5K, I don't think you can get by on outdoor work. The numbers are against you.

Walk around any European city and you'll see plenty of people running along the street at 6 minute mile pace, or faster. You never see that in Thailand, and it isn't just laziness. A back of the envelope calculation tells you it isn't possible for long.

To be honest as long as can get up in the morning, feel amazing, look the way I do, lift heavy shit, run as much as i need to, I don't really care whatever your measure is. Perhaps you need to chill the hell out and work out whether in 10 or 15 years you can lift you ass off the toilet, put your baggage in the overhead locker, carry your shopping home and still string a sentence together. Oh and btw my resting heart rate is 68!

So there you go.

1) You've got strong opinions which, to make sense, depend on certain things being facts.

2) You don't care about whether those things are facts.

I have no opinions about make-up, the restoration of Victorian dolls, gardening, the keeping of horses or an infinity of other things. I know nothing about these things. That's why I don't trenchantly advance my views.

[My resting heart is down in the low forties, although I feel more than a little cheesy saying it, so I guess my threshold for social embarrassment is up in the high ninetiesclap2.gif My commitment to trying to get a sane resolution on discussions about things that matter is also up in the high nineties. So....

given that quite a lot of people seem to think that "unpleasantness" = "physiological usefulness" we need to make this clear, although it wasn't my intention at the start. To reiterate, If you've been relying on rate of perceived exertion - "toughness" - as you measure of intensity and usefulness of exercise in the tropics you've been making a serious mistake. If anyone knows what (for example) their 5k time was before they left for Thailand, and they've been relying on "tough" outdoor workouts for a while, I'd love to hear what your 5k time is when you're back in Europe on a holiday. I'll bet your performance has fallen off a cliff. Something to think about if you want to retain as much of your work capacity as possible as you get older, and put of the period of time when you "..can't lift your ass off the toilet", or do an infinity of other things.]

You want a "sane" resolution to a problem you are overthinking.

stay away from Thailand, stay away from the tropics, stay away from any country not your own.

Work out in your retentive way in an environmentally controlled gym. Do not leave your house except to go to the gym. Stay in Europe or wherever, just keep away from Thailand, anywhere hot, and this forum.

A long post(deleted) because I can see only one point.

Now tell me why you are doing all this fitness type exercise in the first place, is it to compete, look good, feel healthy, to beat the clock,stay alive longer, worry yourself into an early grave. What drives you to this.

Health-span is what matters, not lifespan. You talk about "..all this fitness type exercise..". It isn't "all this". It's like brushing your teeth. It's an hour a week split into two or three workouts for the heart and lungs, and another forty minutes hard weight training. I feel as fit as a butcher's dog, and I like feeling like that. I can't be bothered feeling like a bag of **** the whole time. A lot of people don't realise that this is how they feel because it's constant: they never feel right. So, yeah....I brush my teeth because having teeth is pleasant. I get my heart-rate up to 166 (or whatever) for an hour a week, and grind out a load of pull-ups and weighted push-ups for the same reason. Care and maintenance is a good idea.

Good post. I think a large part of my problem is 1) getting properly assessed when I was in my early 20s,. 2) exercising hard, but not too long, regularly and 3) being staggered at just how effective that exercise was.

Running up a slope on the treadmill in the Glasgow Uni physiology lab and breathing into Douglas bags told me what my VO2 max was with absolute precision. [62ml per kg, or 5.02l total: not great, but not bad! biggrin.png Another student project told me what my basal metabolic rate was, and my percentage bodyfat using immersion weighing. Now all I do is avoid junk food and exercise hard a few times a week. Two years ago I managed the 3,000m pursuit on pro-standard lab equipment with 360W of power the whole way. Basically I haven't really deteriorated at all. I've just done my Sunday pull-ups! First set I can do 17 from a dead hang: not great, but as many as I could do a quarter of a century ago when I was fit. I was very fit at 25, and I'm amazed at how easy it has been to retain that. The only setback I've had in a quarter of a century is spending 5 weeks in Thailand and trying to get by through exercising in an oven. It just doesn't work, and I lost more in a little more than a month than I've lost in two decades. Finding a way to really work in Thailand is a major issue, and if anyone reading this is a regular exerciser, and you know you were (say) sub 17 minutes for 5K, I don't think you can get by on outdoor work. The numbers are against you.

Walk around any European city and you'll see plenty of people running along the street at 6 minute mile pace, or faster. You never see that in Thailand, and it isn't just laziness. A back of the envelope calculation tells you it isn't possible for long.

You'll see it in Thailand all the time, people jogging long distance. If your science says it's impossible then don't move here.

Your attitude towards exercise unfortunately will spill over into everyday life in Thailand and you will hate it here.

You want a "sane" resolution to a problem you are overthinking.

......stay away from Thailand, stay away from the tropics, stay away from any country not your own.

Work out in your retentive way in an environmentally controlled gym. Do not leave your house except to go to the gym. Stay in Europe or wherever, just keep away from Thailand, anywhere hot, and this forum.

Look, if being made to think upsets you just don't read my posts. Have a Chang. Relax. Let it all hang out. Google that Southern Comfort advert and take that as a cue: whatever's comfortable.

I lift weights and like Ultra Bodies on Koh Samui. Actual equipment, even for legs! - Not the usual Thai fitness center with 1,000 sq. Wah of elliptical machines and rickety tread mills.

For cardio I do only HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training.

Studies are showing that cardio is not so good as we thought... kinda like to Food Pyramid in the USA was upside-down, as it turns out.

Book; PACE by Al Sears M.D.

For men cardio is not optimal as it's is catabolic. And... Testosterone needs to be preserved after a certain age.

I do wind sprints. 12 to 15 seconds all out - on a stationary bike or on land (or sand!). Then rest for about 2 minutes. Repeat 6-8 times. The bike can be done in conditioned space, the sand sprints in the early AM.

Also, if the panties aren't pinched quite so tightly the body dissipates more heat. You can quote me. Unclench the butt-cheeks bro and get under the bar.

Edited by ding

I lift weights and like Ultra Bodies on Koh Samui. Actual equipment, even for legs! - Not the usual Thai fitness center with 1,000 sq. Wah of elliptical machines and rickety tread mills.

Studies are showing that cardio is not so good as we thought... kinda like to Food Pyramid in the USA was upside-down, as it turns out.

Book; PACE by Al Sears M.D.

For men cardio is not optimal as it's is catabolic. And... Testosterone needs to be preserved after a certain age.

I do wind sprints. 12 to 15 seconds all out - on a stationary bike or on land (or sand!). Then rest for about 2 minutes. Repeat 6-8 times. The bike can be done in conditioned space, the sand sprints in the early AM.

Also, if the panties aren't pinched quite so tightly the body dissipates more heat. You can quote me. Unclench the butt-cheeks bro and get under the bar.

While I agree with everything....for most most men here some catabolic would be very good to reduce the Beer Chang-muscle a bit.

While strong cardio is surely catabolic, I have problems to fit my thights into a trouser that fits on my belly...So I end with a trouser 1-2 numbers bigger and a belt. So the catabolic effect of riding bike 2-4 hours per day on an empty stomach can't be that dramatic. (But there is one).

The Food Pyramid upside-down? I know only these in Europe, if I recall right, the upest was cake and chocolate....I have some little doubts if that should be the base of my nutrition licklips.gif

You'll see it in Thailand all the time, people jogging long distance. If your science says it's impossible then don't move here.

Your attitude towards exercise unfortunately will spill over into everyday life in Thailand and you will hate it here.

On the cycling forum are some ultras.....they start in the middle of the night, run thru all the day and come back on the next one....not running slow. You also see Thai Boxer running, they run short but very fast...also not die from overheat.

While this is all good and nice, I doubt these short sprints tell much about total fitness...sure the muscles are OK, but more interesting would be if the system can handle hours of high output. Everything over 2-3 hours shows if the system really runs perfect......

On the cycling forum are some ultras.....they start in the middle of the night, run thru all the day and come back on the next one....not running slow. You also see Thai Boxer running, they run short but very fast...also not die from overheat.

If the HHH folks don't die... no ploblum!

wai2.gif

wai2.gif

Summary: Sport and fitness is not possible for people who have excellent fitness like Craig krup in Thailand because generating 600 Watt, will overheat him -->die.....facepalm.gif

While less fit people generate less heat and may train successful.....So training in Thailand only possible for the old, sick and weak.....facepalm.gif

wai2.gif

Summary: Sport and fitness is not possible for people who have excellent fitness like Craig krup in Thailand because generating 600 Watt, will overheat him -->die.....facepalm.gif

While less fit people generate less heat and may train successful.....So training in Thailand only possible for the old, sick and weak.....facepalm.gif

My point was that if Craig is that retentive about the exercise, then the other aspects of Thailand will drive him (further) nuts.

wai2.gif

My point was that if Craig is that retentive about the exercise, then the other aspects of Thailand will drive him (further) nuts.

Very true........good point.....the heat is one of the smaller issues that are different than the home country.....I think safest solution is to make holidays on the own balcony tongue.png

I can empathize with the OP though, trying to do my normal workout at my (air-con'd) condo's gym in KL left me a complete wreck for almost 2 days (had heat stroke type headache for 2-3 hours) yet I've had no problem doing (& pushing) it in 6.5 years using my condo gyms in Singapore.

Worked out (drrrr... Dumb or what) that the fact the new place is literally a Glass box, getting the full force of the Sun from morning to evening probably had something to do with it.

Yeah, but the evidence for the "retentiveness" is the number of words and the precision of the claims. If you type 600 words on something "complicated" people say, "You must have too much time on your hands". They can't imagine what it would be like to have thought about things carefully before you start typing and then to be able to type at 80 wpm.

Take another topic. If I headed a thread - "Covered Call Options: Worth it for the income boost", and then made my first post quite "technical" so that I wouldn't get 500 people telling me about the money their great granny lost in imperial Russian bonds, I guarantee you that when I - or anyone else - used language in a way appropriate to the matter in hand we'd get a ton of abuse, and the accusation would be made that we would being "retentive". People can't imagine what it would be like not to be themselves. I've got very sensitive teeth. One of the women at work doesn't. She has no capacity for suffering, but when I tell her that getting my teeth descaled is like one long filling she says, "Don't be stupid, it's not that bad". She can't wrap her head around the idea that her experience isn't someone else's experience. My pal in Bangkok rowed for his uni club and did a half Iron Man recently. He has a science PhD. He doesn't think I'm retentive because his worldview, and his expectations about what can be achieved with language, are (essentially) the same as mine.

If you did a research project looking at Brits living in Thailand what percentage do you think used language to explore ideas when they were at work? What problem, therefore, arises on Thai Visa, do you think?

There's an interesting question about what could be achieved with this. It might be quite a lot. Going ballistic - and I mean really nuts - might be a solution. People talk about Tabata training, but Tabata means a very specific exercise protocol - 170% of VO2 max for twenty seconds with a ten second recovery. Most people can't do anything like 170% - they just lack the muscular power. Unless you're an elite cyclist you can't do this on a bike either: your legs won't be strong enough. I did it for real once on a treadmill. It meant 15k per hour up a 15% slope (170% of 5 litres is that kind of effort) for twenty seconds, jump your feet to the side, die for ten seconds and go again. No matter who you are it rubberises you in 4-7 efforts. I could taste metal for days. The great advantage of this, though, is that you get it all done with minimal total heat. So it has potential, although the psychological demands are really heavy.

Yeah, but the evidence for the "retentiveness" is the number of words and the precision of the claims. If you type 600 words on something "complicated" people say, "You must have too much time on your hands". They can't imagine what it would be like to have thought about things carefully before you start typing and then to be able to type at 80 wpm.

Take another topic. If I headed a thread - "Covered Call Options: Worth it for the income boost", and then made my first post quite "technical" so that I wouldn't get 500 people telling me about the money their great granny lost in imperial Russian bonds, I guarantee you that when I - or anyone else - used language in a way appropriate to the matter in hand we'd get a ton of abuse, and the accusation would be made that we would being "retentive". People can't imagine what it would be like not to be themselves. I've got very sensitive teeth. One of the women at work doesn't. She has no capacity for suffering, but when I tell her that getting my teeth descaled is like one long filling she says, "Don't be stupid, it's not that bad". She can't wrap her head around the idea that her experience isn't someone else's experience. My pal in Bangkok rowed for his uni club and did a half Iron Man recently. He has a science PhD. He doesn't think I'm retentive because his worldview, and his expectations about what can be achieved with language, are (essentially) the same as mine.

If you did a research project looking at Brits living in Thailand what percentage do you think used language to explore ideas when they were at work? What problem, therefore, arises on Thai Visa, do you think?

This post pretty much supports my point. What a load of delirious babble.

You will hate Thailand, whether or not you are able to figure out your extreme workout regimen or not.

This country does not bode well for perfectionists. It doesn't even bode well for people who are "slightly fussy". This is my position.

incoherent babble. You haven't said anything anyone can make sense of.

....Yeah, but the evidence for the "retentiveness" is the number of words and the precision of the claims. If you type 600 words on something "complicated" people say,...........If you did a research project looking at Brits living in Thailand what percentage do you think used language to explore ideas when they were at work? What problem, therefore, arises on Thai Visa, do you think?

incoherent babble. You haven't said anything anyone can make sense of.

No, I haven't said anything that you can make sense of, nor do you feel the need to make sense of it, or anything like it. You've probably never forced yourself to read anything slowly and carefully ever, so you can't imagine what's it like for other people who do.

We live in a very democratic age. You never hear a politician saying to a voter, "You know absolutely **** all about quantitative easing, or - indeed - anything else, and your single vote isn't worth my pretending that you're talking anything other than total hors*****"". That doesn't happen, so people get a hold of the idea that their views are as good as anyone else's. That isn't the case. You don't know anything about exercise physiology, but you don't feel that's any barrier to expressing forceful and trenchant views. You think that anyone who cares that their conclusions be supported by something other than their "right" to express them is a poindexter, a nerd, a t**t, a babbler, a bull******, and so on...

From an outsider's point of view there's not a lot to explain. You see it on this site, and you see it on Scott Mallon's youtube clips. It's the reason why "JC's" retirecheapasia site has a dying comments section. Thailand is choc-a-bloc with thoughtful guys, and thoughtless guys. It needs to be said - too many of the thoughtful guys don't speak English as a first language. You know what I'm saying. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Craig krup

I'd recommend getting some of these gel ice packs and hold them in your hands when possible during training:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Reusable-Hot-Cold-Heat-Ice-Gel-Pack-Back-Knee-Ankle-Compress-Wrap/32323209179.html

After reading this stanford research article I think this method could work by cooling blood which then pumps around your body. Along with pulse points like on your wrists were you have large arteries close to the skin, several small patches of skin around the body have an overwhelmingly high amount of heat transfer with the environment due to a network of vains called arteriovenous anastomoses or AVAs. The palms are one of the biggest radiators in the human body and are also surrounded by 5 handy fingers for holding onto the packs.

I think your question would have had a much better reception if you posted it to the right audience, such as the correct sub of a fitness forum or if you're on Facebook, maybe try looking up some of the many great Thai fitness groups.

Craig on a side note, I'd like to give you a massive thank-you. I made some snarky comments yesterday that were totally uncalled for. As a young guy in a foreign land, I'm always looking for niches that I can turn into profitable enterprises.

I'm a firm believer that people don't buy products so much as they buy solutions to their problems. So when I come across people who have real migraine type problems that I might be able to find a solution for, I'm always grateful for the opportunity it presents.

Your problem, is one that I'm sure affects a lot of people in all walks of life and I feel so inspired to find solution, that I've already jumped the gun and bought the domain name for my new venture. Watch out guys www.curinganalretentiveness.com is soon to be in business thumbsup.gif

I have a friend into bicycling who joins 12 hour long distance races where 2000 people participate and it's all day in the heat.

Why do I bother? biggrin.png

On a bike you have an airstream - how many times does that have to be said by me or someone else? As has been said - repeatedly - unless the humidity is very high, so long as you have enough water, and it isn't all uphill, you'll be fine on a bike. Most long distance riders are pushing out relatively low power, so they've no problem losing the heat.

I'd recommend getting some of these gel ice packs and hold them in your hands when possible during training:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Reusable-Hot-Cold-Heat-Ice-Gel-Pack-Back-Knee-Ankle-Compress-Wrap/32323209179.html

After reading this stanford research article I think this method could work by cooling blood which then pumps around your body. Along with pulse points like on your wrists were you have large arteries close to the skin, several small patches of skin around the body have an overwhelmingly high amount of heat transfer with the environment due to a network of vains called arteriovenous anastomoses or AVAs. The palms are one of the biggest radiators in the human body and are also surrounded by 5 handy fingers for holding onto the packs.

I think your question would have had a much better reception if you posted it to the right audience, such as the correct sub of a fitness forum or if you're on Facebook, maybe try looking up some of the many great Thai fitness groups.

I expected a spoof link but that's actually quite interesting. If you were trying to run repetitions of (say) 400m - not something I'll be trying at my age - a picnic box full of iced water might be even better: submerge your whole arms.