Inquiring for a friend in Myanmar

I have a friend who lives in Myanmar. She does not have a normal international passport. Can she visit Thailand with out a passport ? If so, how long would she be able to stay. What paper work does she require, ???? Appreciate any help from members. Thanks.

She can visit Thailand, but not legally. She needs to stay far away from border checkpoints when she enters or leaves the country.

She will be able to stay until the immigration police catch up with her.

Question: Why does she not apply for a passport?

She can visit Thailand, but not legally. She needs to stay far away from border checkpoints when she enters or leaves the country.

This reply advises an illegal action, and not to be acted upon.

If there are no legal solutions posted then this topic will be closed.

This reply advises an illegal action, and not to be acted upon.

If there are no legal solutions posted then this topic will be closed.

I'm not advising, I am being sarcastic. She cannot cross the border legally without passport.

However, she can apply for a passport and come to Thailand legally. I'd like to know why she doesn't.

It's questions like this that make me crazy.

1. She does not have a "normal international passport". Does she have an abnormal passport? What passport does she have?

2. What is her nationality?

3. If she is Burmese does she have an ID card?

Hi guys. I see you are pulling me apart on this one.

It is not easy for her to apply for a passport. My friend is in Karen state. For those who know the political situation there you will know what i mean.

I do know that many Karen people travel with out documents across the rivers in Mae Sot and Mae Sariang. I think just for day visits. I have seen this myself. This is not illegal as far as i know because the Thai police were present when i was there ..What i will do next time i am in the areas is to go to the Thai authorities myself to obtain advice. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I see you are pulling me apart on this one.

It is not easy for her to apply for a passport. My friend is in Karen state. For those who know the political situation there you will know what i mean.

I do know that many Karen people travel with out documents across the rivers in Mae Sot and Mae Sariang. I think just for day visits. I have seen this myself. This is not illegal as far as i know because the Thai police were present when i was there ..What i will do next time i am in the areas is to go to the Thai authorities myself to obtain advice. Thanks

I know Karen/Kayin state very well.

No, it is NOT legal for a Myanmar national to cross to the Thai side without any documents. The only reason a blind eye has been turned to it so far (but this is starting to change under the current military government) is that for every illegal crossing, the Thai authorities take some money from the illegal crossers.

Since these illegals generally only ever go a short distance into Thailand, I don't understand why they don't cross legally over the perfectly good Thai-Myanmar friendship bridge in Mae Sot. Mae Sariang is opposite Karenni/Kayah State (not Karen/Kayin state) and there is apparently a small locals crossing near there (probably in Mae Sam Laeb district) that is slated to be upgraded to an international crossing by the end of this year. However, for now, it probably allows Burmese traders across to the Thai side on day trips in a similar fashion to Mae Sot (and Mae Sai, amongst others).

For short day trips, no passport is required, just an ID card and a small document with blue cover (border pass) is made with the holder's details. It allows day return travel within Mae Sot district. A similar system is in place at other legal checkpoints, which includes the other 3 international crossings, as well as a couple of other local ones (which may eventually be upgraded to international status).

However, the question is - does your friend want to travel further inside Thailand than just the border or not?

I could ask my friends living in Myawady what it takes to apply for a passport, but I know that there is a temporary passport issuing office in Myawady (not sure if that's the one used only for migrant labourers and only valid for Thailand or not) but I don't think it's difficult to obtain a passport provided the applicant holds an ID card.

For further travel inside the country, a passport and visa are required, apart from bilateral agreements with Thailand that allow border pass holders to travel beyond the border areas. Currently, such an agreement exists at the Dan Singkorn checkpoint, where Burmese can stay 3 days and 2 nights in Prachuab Khiri Khan.