Nine industrial zones in Thailand to be made ecological friendly

webfact

Nine industrial zones to be made ecological friendly

BANGKOK, 20 May 2015 (NNT) - The Department of Industrial Works (DIW) and IRPC Industrial zone in Rayong will join hands in developing the latter into an eco-industrial complex. The development will use the eco-industrial city of Japan, Kitakyushu, as its model.

DIW Director-General Phasu Lohanchun said the development of an industrial waste treatment plant would begin on a 6,000-rai area in the IRPC industrial zone. The Rayong industrial zone currently produces about 330,000 tons of toxic wastes.

In its bid to increase the competitiveness in the global stage, the Ministry also sets to elevate 9 industrial zones in 5 provinces as eco industrial zones within 3 years.

These include 3 zones in Rayong province, 2 in Prachinburi, and one each in Chonburi, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani and Saraburi provinces.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-20 footer_n.gif

There is a certain irony to this story , as only this morning I was driving past the IRPC industrial zone only to see a horrifying amount of acrid fumes bellowing out of one their stacks at the plant. post-115850-0-43182800-1432095044_thumb.post-115850-0-60539600-1432095050_thumb.post-115850-0-48389400-1432095062_thumb.

I think I've missed something here, how does the construction of a waste treatment plant make the zone eco-friendly ? As a previous post indicated, what about air pollution ? Insisting all factories were certified under ISO 14001 might go some way to help. But oops I forgot, who certifies ISO in Thailand ?