How Do Rural Thais Feel About Thaskin And Why?

Issangeorge

Guyham posted in; 'Do you live in a Thai village?' that "If wife, family and friends having a social in her adjacent farm, join them for beer (surprise, without prompting they tell me Thaksin is a <deleted>))"

This surprises me, it has been my experience that rural Issan people think that Thaksin is great. They think that Bush is a <deleted> but that Thaksin is great. My wife and I can't even talk about Thaksin because she likes him and I am on the opposite side. The thing is I can't understand why the rural people love him. The Thai newspapers must report the news completely different from the English papers. Any body who reads the Bangkok Post, or Nation with half a brain could not possibly like Thaksin, and from the pieces that the Bangkok Post publishes from Thai papers it seems that they are not that thrilled with Thaksin either. So why do the rural Thais love him so much especially when it is quite obvious that the person they love the most does not have any time for Thaksin? Issangeorge.

Guyham posted in; 'Do you live in a Thai village?' that "If wife, family and friends having a social in her adjacent farm, join them for beer (surprise, without prompting they tell me Thaksin is a <deleted>))"

This surprises me, it has been my experience that rural Issan people think that Thaksin is great. They think that Bush is a <deleted> but that Thaksin is great. My wife and I can't even talk about Thaksin because she likes him and I am on the opposite side. The thing is I can't understand why the rural people love him. The Thai newspapers must report the news completely different from the English papers. Any body who reads the Bangkok Post, or Nation with half a brain could not possibly like Thaksin, and from the pieces that the Bangkok Post publishes from Thai papers it seems that they are not that thrilled with Thaksin either. So why do the rural Thais love him so much especially when it is quite obvious that the person they love the most does not have any time for Thaksin? Issangeorge.

Well, from all I know.

1. Thaksin handed out loads of (tax payers) money to the rural areas, so they love him

2. Rural Thai's don't read the Bangkok Post nor the Nation.

2a). Rural Thai's don't read any newspapers (generalising, I know). I told my wife a week ago phone numbers will be changing in Thailand. "Oh?" (well, she doesn't have a mobile phone, so she can't be bothered anyway, but the rest of the family wasn't aware of it either, though the university student sister had heard about "something happening ... end of this year?").

3 - 10. 1. Thaksin handed out loads of (tax payers) money to the rural areas, so they love him

No comment on Bush, but they may read some newspapers after all :-)

Edited by cnxpat

Last week at an extended family gathering I was surprised at my wife’s normally pro-Taksin clan running Taksin down. This was a large gathering with people from all walks of life. Police, teachers, farmers and medical people old and young.

The conversation started with jokes about the “Drama” of the supposed bomb plot. The general consensus was Taksin is trying anything and everything to get sympathy and cling onto power.

Things moved onto other things Taksin has done during his reign.

They all agreed they thought those loans were a good idea at the start. Now they can see how many people are struggling to repay them.

They all knew farmers included members of my wife’s family who took the loans and now regretted it. People have been selling assets and taking local loans out against their farms to repay the Taksin loans.

One point stood out. They all felt they’ve been duped by Taksin.

Taksin has lost a lot of support in my wife’s village.

Bush and world affairs never come up in the general conversations.

Hi

At a family gathering back in April I was surprised at the amount of animosity towards Thaksin, family are mainly government employees who I thought at the time would probably be pro him. Since then his stock must have fallen even lower after his recent escapades.

With regard to the outside world it may as well not exist, if anything does go wrong and they get to hear of it then Bin Laden is inevitably to blame.

TBWG :o

Since it was my comment in another thread that started this one I guess it behooves me to get my 10 cents in.

The major problem appears to be disillusionment. Thaksin has been tub-thumping for years about how he is helping the rural poor, yet they have noticed no improvement whatsoever here. No more jobs, no better standard of living, no more money – no nothing.

I’m not suggesting that it is simple for any politician to vitalize these poor rural areas that seem to cover the majority of Isaan. There is a chronic lack of infrastructure, massive illiteracy (none of my wife’s family – which is large – who are over 25 can read or write, except my wife and she quit school when she was 7) and ill-education and a powerful mentality for sanook. Not a tempting environment for investment by government or private industry. Face it, frontline countries like the US, UK and Germany have not succeeded well in revitalizing their own rundown industrial areas so wouldn’t expect miracles from Thailand.

But the problem with Thaksin is that he has promised so much – or at least the Thai people believe he has and were therefore behind him all the way thru the past years. My wife’s family are beginning to realize that it has all been a con job. They don’t care too much about him stuffing billions of baht into his back pocket or the corruption of his cronies. They are concerned about “where’s the beef?” Time for the chickens to come home to roost.

So, are you trying to say your wife only has half a brain and/or is this a weird roundabout way to show your displeasure with Thaksin ?

The major problem appears to be disillusionment. Thaksin has been tub-thumping for years about how he is helping the rural poor, yet they have noticed no improvement whatsoever here. No more jobs, no better standard of living, no more money – no nothing.

I'll go along with that.... a little bit.

I asked my wife what she thought of him about nine months ago (around the time of the ShinCorp stuff really kicking off) Her opinion then was that he was great, the 30 Baht hospital treatment, improved education system (I know, I know) and and huge great projects springing up everywhere, there was a very large reservoir being excavated about 1km from our abode, and a rumoured new crossing into Cambodia 4km further.

But what about ShinCorp>............ "Up to him"

Now her attitude has done a complete 180, she thinks the whole bomb incident is a set-up and totally laughable. And because of the current political turmoil, work on the reservoir has all-but ground to a halt. But she does read the papers..... for some of the rest of the village it's "where's the beef?"

Our village, which is north of Ban Phue, is very pro-Toxin, The most common comments are that he is good because he got rid of the drugs and the 30 baht health care. They also know that if the village votes overwhemingly for TRT, the local TRT administator will get the main street repaved and some dirt side streets will as be paved. As you drive north from Ban Phue, it is very evident from the conditions of the road as to which areas voted heavily for Toxin..

Also the village headman speech every morning over the village speaker system extols the great achievements of the TRT government.

Acually If you are Thai.I'm warning you not try to dicuss about politic on public,you might got fight or something.

There are 3 side of people now

1. Hate Thaksin,don't listen anything,just hate him

2. Love Thaksin,Love him as much as they family

3. Hate "SonThi" and "Panthamid" gang!

If you just notice yourself that you are one of the side,I will have a strange looking from other people rather what ever side are you in.

People on "Sonthi" or "Panthamid" side I believe some of then think that people who still love or like Thaksin are stupid. but people hate Thaksin are smarter.

Eventhough if Panthamid gang will go to any provinces in they will get troble by people who doesn't love Thaksin but they only hate Panthamit!

Otherwise its better if you not trying to present yourself in one of those side

Well, slowly people upcountry are learning about Thaksin's corruption. Most people don't have access to alternative info. In my wife's village up in Surin some people have turned against him. It's all about information. If the get it, they can't deny it. My wife used to love him and argued with me about him but after she got an alternative news source in Thai she has turned against him. She would probaly join the military resistance at this point.

Lots of people who I've talked to in BKK have a deep hatred of him. There's one islamic janitor at my work who said something to me about George Bush once which let me know how much he was against America. At the same time a Thai friend spoke to the Janitor about Thaksin and the janitor supported him. I told the Thai friend to ask the janitor if he thought Thaksin was doing a good job with the Muslims in the South and if he thought the invasion of Iraq which Thaksin supported was a good thing. I think the janitor can change. It's all about ignorance and information.

Well, slowly people upcountry are learning about Thaksin's corruption. Most people don't have access to alternative info. In my wife's village up in Surin some people have turned against him. It's all about information. If the get it, they can't deny it. My wife used to love him and argued with me about him but after she got an alternative news source in Thai she has turned against him. She would probaly join the military resistance at this point.

Lots of people who I've talked to in BKK have a deep hatred of him. There's one islamic janitor at my work who said something to me about George Bush once which let me know how much he was against America. At the same time a Thai friend spoke to the Janitor about Thaksin and the janitor supported him. I told the Thai friend to ask the janitor if he thought Thaksin was doing a good job with the Muslims in the South and if he thought the invasion of Iraq which Thaksin supported was a good thing. I think the janitor can change. It's all about ignorance and information.

How do you believe the information from the news! If the news maker already hate who ever they always put all bad things about that person or even make it up! like Manager if you known well about PTT you will laugh when you here Manager said about the stock share. In fact the information from the news papers or TV deosn't mean they give you the truth!

Edited by Nongkhai_Tong

Are you really don't know what I'm saying? All medias in Thailand doesn't realiable at all!

From your question ,I won't say this govement does not corrupt. Because since i was born in Thailand.All govs always corrupted. I just want to know WHO DOES NOT CORRUPT? I could accept them If they corrupted but give still see a big progess of work. People who anti this gov always say they corrupt? how do you know? Of couse from the media again!I trust the result that investigated for the Judges only. Not from the media.

Edited by Nongkhai_Tong

Are you really don't know what I'm saying? All medias in Thailand doesn't realiable at all!

From your question ,I won't say this govement does not corrupt. Because since i was born in Thailand.All govs always corrupted. I just want to know WHO DOES NOT CORRUPT? I could accept them If they corrupted but give still see a big progess of work. People who anti this gov always say they corrupt? how do you know? Of couse from the media again!I trust the result that investigated for the Judges only. Not from the media.

Thaksin will go down as one of the most corrupt governments in history, and one who significantly curbed press freedoms. If the media is not reliable, why does Thaksin keep running from it?

Eventhough if Panthamid gang will go to any provinces in they will get troble by people who doesn't love Thaksin but they only hate Panthamit!

Were these same people outside WTC a few weeks ago?

Thaksin will go down as one of the most corrupt governments in history, and one who significantly curbed press freedoms. If the media is not reliable, why does Thaksin keep running from it?

Man, Please tell me how do you judge somebody that they are bad or good will you believe from other people's mouth.or you have to see by yourself. Please tell me

Were these same people outside WTC a few weeks ago?

Panthamid are keep saying that people hates Thiksin are very where but you know people are realdy to kiss ass Panthamid are every where in Thailand also.

Edited by Nongkhai_Tong

Nongkhai Tong, Thaksin changed the law so that telecom companies could have 49% foriegn ownership rather than 25% as before. This change was of great advantage to him so that he could sell Shin Corp. If this is not corrupt I don't know what is, if this had happened in a western country he would have been forced to resign. Issangeorge.

Its a bit mixed up here, with generalisations about rural thais, and generalisations about urban thais

My wife is a rural thai. Her family were poor (not so now, relatively. but that is through hard work not influence) She hates Toxin with a vehemence I have not seen against any other person! Why? She is a teacher, loves her work, and sees her profession destroyed, her salary left well behind, and understands that he is pawning the economy for votes. She does not read the Nation or the Bangkok Post (why would she?..these are English Language papers) but has the brains to decide her own mind. She is not alone and I am not extolling her virtues...many of her friends and relatives are the same.

On the other hand we saw a Bangkok taxi driver (born there, we asked) exolting the virtues of Toxin because his sister in the country got a grant (out of Toxin's pocket?) 2 years ago

No generalisations please..the only difference between rural thais and urban thais is lack of opportunity, not brain power or the ability to distinguish between national newspaper and tv obsequeince

Nongkhai Tong, Thaksin changed the law so that telecom companies could have 49% foriegn ownership rather than 25% as before. This change was of great advantage to him so that he could sell Shin Corp. If this is not corrupt I don't know what is, if this had happened in a western country he would have been forced to resign. Issangeorge.

And in a western country(just one example) Margaret Thatcher's appointed minister gave building contracts to her son, hence making him a millionaire.

Nah, never happens..George Bush is president on merit rather than being a son of another George Bush, the Gores and Rockefellars have no influence.

Absolutely no corruption in a western country, instant forced resignation........errr..yes :o

Edited by yorkman

Not only Shin Copporation sold 49% of the stock share in 2006. You need to look back 2-3 years ago that DTAC also sold out the same as 49% but on that time why no one come out to protest DTAC! Why Pantamid did not come to say something about that deal. Guy,I'm not trying to protect Thasik anymore but maybe your information is to weak.you did not understand what's happening but you just breath the information from another side without considering from your brain.

Not only Shin Copporation sold 49% of the stock share in 2006. You need to look back 2-3 years ago that DTAC also sold out the same as 49% but on that time why no one come out to protest DTAC! Why Pantamid did not come to say something about that deal. Guy,I'm not trying to protect Thasik anymore but maybe your information is to weak.you did not understand what's happening but you just breath the information from another side without considering from your brain.

As Nonghkai_Tong is the only Thai in this discussion, I think it makes sense to listen to him/her. (s)he's Thai, we're not (well, can't vouch for all the posters).

From all the Thai I've met (from all walks of life, artists, intellectuals, farmers, bargirls, students) , the general idea is "yes, there is corruption" (What can we do about it?). "Yes, the road they just rebuild for 100,000 THB on a budget of 300,00 THB made the village head very rich, and the road very bad, and yes, people die every month because of the potholes" (what can we do about it?) "yes Thaksin has done things wrong" (what can we do about it?)

the answer is "nothing" ... we can talk about it, judge it, impose our democracy rules, but TIT ... is it fair, good ... it's not up to us.

On another token, no democracy seems to be perfect, and we'll leave Bush and Blair out of the discussion :-)

At least we're privileged to sit here and complain about it right!?

Nongkhai Tong yes DTAC did become 49% foriegn owned (probably more and should be looked into, which the commerce department is doing now.) The point is they had nothing to do with changing the law, only took advantage of it. It was Thaksin who changed the law. He tried twice, the first time back in 2001 the senate when it was still opperating independently turned it down. In 2004 or 2005, I'm not sure which year, the senate, after it had been bought by Thaksin, approved the change, and two days after it took effect Thaskin sold Shin Corp. This is using state power for his own advantage. Issangeorge.