Ducati Monster 821, Yamaha MT 09, Kawasaki Z 800 Which one?

ALFREDO

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sour grapes mate, just looking at what people experience when paying a fortune for a great name that used to built in the UK (Dubious quality back in the days but at least it was British Junk) Now it seems it is built in Asia using the usual quality Asian junk steel and fittings!

http://www.675.cc/675/threads/6-month-old-triumph-street-triple-r-exhaust-rusting.15454/

Rotten in a few months.

The exhaust bolts to the manifold cannot be removed after only a couple of months, they are using sub standard junk in their assemble and still charging premium prices, just because it has the Triumph name, these bikes are not "Triumphs" they are Keeway for all intents and purposes, cheap Chinese junk!

I hace Honda Waves that rack up 100K with barely a spanner on them, as opposed to junk like Ducati, (No Triumph are a bit better) that fall to bits if you fart on them. Harleys just drop to pieces as you ride, like the Platinum, another JUNK brand that used to be good maybe 40 years ago, but simply rested on the name rather than build a decent bike - they probably still have OHV engines with an old Carb!

Money for rubbish.

If it wasn't for the likes of Honda, we would still be getting 1950's BSA Junk! Probably running with a side valve engine!

The Brits and the US never made any innovations to improve engine design, they just built low performance unreliable crap that everyone expected as the norm until the Japs and the Koreans came along.

Cast your mind back to the '70's, we all put up with junk cars and bikes that broke down every 30 miles, you had to carry an entire replacement vehicle as spares to make sure you got where you were going - remember British Leyland? The manufacturers of the worst vehicles in the world? (When I was a kid back in the 1970's my old man used to take us on holiday in a Ford Transit, the entire back 30% of the van was full of gearbox bits, carbs, half shafts so he could manage a rebuild of the vehicle on the road if needed, and we were only going 120 miles each way!)

Then came the Japs with Datsuns, the Koreans and other Asian countries, they got it wrong in the first instance as they didn't understand how much salt the Brits sprayed on the road each winter, which corroded their bodywork, but by the 90's you couldn't get a more reliable motor.

Then we look at the Italians, they never could make shit, their best attempt was a vespa, all of their motorcycles need to be rebuilt or retuned every day, like their sportscars, just over priced junk.

They broke into the British market end of the 60's and into the early 70's making cheap toys, like toy cars to compete with the likes of Dinky and Corgi, the shit they made fell to bits in a 3 year olds hands in a few minutes. They built and still build junk!

Edited by menzies233

Just a poor attempt at trolling I think. Nobody could be that stupid/jealous smile.png

Not trolling, just telling it from experience.

I can remember Rolls Royce sending out removal vans with tarpaulins to cover up broken down cars and making the owners sign papers to say they would not talk to the press.

There was one case when I was younger, they sent out a removals van to France to pick up a Rolls, covered it in a taup and brought it back to the UK for repair as long as the owner didn't got to the press!

The Brits and the Americans produced JUNK that broke down with regularity, if it wasn't for the Japs we would still be driving junk!

I remember the first time I drove a Hyundai, back in the late 80's, it actually ran like a dream, it didn't clatter like a pile of plates, it revved to about 6000 RPM without missing, it sounded good!

My old man had a an old BSA early 70's or late 60's, 500CC couldn't pull the skin off a chicken.

The same goes for UK / US / and ITI bikes these days, the Harley will fall to pieces, the ITI Junk will stall and need a complete engine overhaul and the Brit bike will fail to start or drop to pieces due to corrosion.

So what do we have now? These supposed "Classics" that were once manufactured in the UK and USA and Europe, built buy high priced lazy assed labour unions in shoddy quality with no pride and no quality are now farmed out to hard working, untrained Chinese, Thai and Indian labour. Do you really belive that Triumph represents quality? Ducati never represented quality, they were always junk, as were Harley any time after 1950 - So, buy a quality machine, but a Jap bike (Don't get me wrong, I hate the Japs intensively, but their products will blow the ass off anything Europe or the States can offer)

I would love to buy a good quality product from the West, but sadly it does not seem available - Just look at KTM, Austrian prices for a now compromised piece of junk built in India!!!

Greedy bastards, they have sold out their name in the interests of shareholders.

You would still be poking little bits of wire through your carb jets to clear the shit if it wasn't for the Japs and EFI!

BSA

BMC

BLMC

Triumph

Indian

Norton

Where are they now? If they are not made in India or China?

Junk!

Ducati, Lambo and Ferrari are even worse, just like Italian junk, just like their shit fashion, all show and no substance, just hi tech crap built on a name nothing more.

Edited by menzies233

I would not give the Ducati or any other Italian motorcycle, sports car a second look, they are overpriced badly built junk, as are Harley Davidsons along with poor quality on UK Triumph. Probably comparable with Chinese bikes like Platinum etc. All of these bikes rely on history, racing to sell their junk. The average biker could never afford to maintain them in a reasonable working condition. Like Lambos, Ferraris, they are a hobby not a proper motor.

Stick with any of the main Japanese bikes, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, maybe Suzuki, as far as European I would buy a BMW.

I wouldn't touch a Ducati with a 10 foot stick covered in Dog Sh@t.

http://www.899panigale.org/forum/899-panigale-general-discussion/4697-its-rust-bucket-poor-build-quality-bit-disapointed-really.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/1363-build-quality.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2013/02/article/poor-quality-bearings-prompts-triumph-recall/

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/17/is-harley-davidson-the-worst-motorcycle-money-can.aspx

Overpriced Junk, I would rather buy a Honda Wave than any of this junk.

Now that was one hell of a statement to made in your post no4 here in TVbiggrin.png

So is above based on personal experiences?

I bought a 2nd hand Harley (a 2002 model) and owned it for 3 years and didn't change a single part in it, well okay a few upgrades here and there but I could had left as I bought it.

We rode all over the Kingdom on it, 2up so I would not hesitate to buy one again if I was on the market for one.

I also owned a Moto Guzzi many years back and that was one hell of a good bike, young bikers often stopped and asked; what is that? They never seen one before and it was very fast in its day.

No sorry man, I don't buy your statements that HD's, Dukes and Triumphs are shitty bikes, they sell some of their models like hot cakes and sales no's speaks for themselves.

I heard that some BMW's can be a nightmare electronics wise which can be a big problem here in Thailand.

A good ride buddy of mine rides a Hyperstrada and he loves it man but he also use a Honda Wave for downtown Pattaya riding/shopping. wink.png

Edited by guzzi850m2

I would buy another Triumph. The Street Triple I had was sh*t hot, never let me down.

Present bike is a Yamaha MT-09. This is also a great bike, once Yamaha sorted out the fuel mapping and I changed the poor rear shock for a proper one. That was more to do with Yamaha keeping the price low rather than poor finishing.

I love Japanese bikes, as well as most European. Not a Harley fan but horses for courses.

Wouldn't mind an Aprilia Tuono V4.......please.

I would not give the Ducati or any other Italian motorcycle, sports car a second look, they are overpriced badly built junk, as are Harley Davidsons along with poor quality on UK Triumph. Probably comparable with Chinese bikes like Platinum etc. All of these bikes rely on history, racing to sell their junk. The average biker could never afford to maintain them in a reasonable working condition. Like Lambos, Ferraris, they are a hobby not a proper motor.

Stick with any of the main Japanese bikes, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, maybe Suzuki, as far as European I would buy a BMW.

I wouldn't touch a Ducati with a 10 foot stick covered in Dog Sh@t.

http://www.899panigale.org/forum/899-panigale-general-discussion/4697-its-rust-bucket-poor-build-quality-bit-disapointed-really.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/1363-build-quality.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2013/02/article/poor-quality-bearings-prompts-triumph-recall/

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/17/is-harley-davidson-the-worst-motorcycle-money-can.aspx

Overpriced Junk, I would rather buy a Honda Wave than any of this junk.

You sound like a guy who criticizes everything he can't get. Don't need to get upset if a Honda wave is all you can afford. They are great bikes too... Japanese bikes are indeed a smart choice if you want to play safe. IMO they are just a bit "boring. I am looking at buying my 3rd Ducati. Edited by Nickymaster

Great rant. Not. Consistent use of the word "junk". Unfortunately the majority of the posts facts were, in fact, incorrect. Especially the "junk" bits...

Yes, European and US manufacturers had a big problem with quality, and the unions in the late 60s to mid 70s. Yes, they were outdated designs, yes the unions and poor management contributed greatly to their downfall. But these days, much as i don't agree with it either, is a global economy, and a Chonburi Triumph is just as good as a Hinkley Triumph etc.

As for the Japs saving the world with FI, ever heard of the EPA? And emission controls?

And i'm a Luddite, but i appreciate the quality and design in modern bikes from ALL the manufacturers. Just not my cup of tea...

Edited by thaiguzzi

Seems as if the OP went for a Honda in the end. Based on price.

Still not, but soon a good possibility. thumbsup.gif

My home country in the middle of EU, is a different playground.

With a CBR400RR or a CB650F you will lose there, the usual =Wild bunch= on the Autobahn,

to and from the Alps. ;-)

In Thailand it could be deadly to drive on U-turn High Ways similar fast, so a smaller, cheaper,

less powerful bike, can also be enough. rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a CB650F close up today.

Looks quite a nice bike, not seen one before.

Unadjustable suspension but looks quite cool

Decent performance from a Cbr650 today

We had a bit of a race but it was on the road so we both had to brake here and they're to avoid doing super man

He was a Thai guy and absolutely Confidence bordering on nutz lol, every time he keep coming and I was in a quicker bike (suzuki gsx) but impressed how well be did lol

Yes, its ok for that price and as I drove the more expensive and mostly more powerful competition,

Ducati Monster 821, Ducati Hypermotard 821, Yamaha FZ 09, Kawasaki 800 and ER6N looked at the

BMW 800 F and Benelli BN 600 -just now a show in Central Plaza Udon Thani,

can also write, its nice to drive her.

PS: Asked at that show Benelli - can I Testride the pretty looking 600? Answer - I could only hear her sound, they would start it for me. blink.pngwink.png

Have to say, the Benelli 300 (only 138.000 B. rolleyes.gif)​ and 600 look nice.

Decent performance from a Cbr650 today

We had a bit of a race but it was on the road so we both had to brake here and they're to avoid doing super man

He was a Thai guy and absolutely Confidence bordering on nutz lol, every time he keep coming and I was in a quicker bike (suzuki gsx) but impressed how well be did lol

Up to a comparable, nearly equal level, its more the rider than the bike who is important.

Is -now to much traffic- was often funny to ride around Phukets curvy, hilly, (coastal) roads on my old small Honda CBR 400R against all kind of Big Bikes - the riders often with little or no experience riding a powerful bike. tongue.png

riding position and passenger comfort is something you have not mentioned OP, a very big consideration especially if you are planning long trips with a passenger on board

I am now so heavy, that I drive already with the weight of two (male+female) alone. rolleyes.gif

On my old Honda CBR 400R I changed the front springs and the back shock absorber to more suited more powerful White Power material - brought from me from Europe.wink.png

Was driving with my 1998 Yamaha R1 which has a sporty seating position the whole Alps more than once alone and with a small framed EU or Thai female passenger.

Was OK and doable, all now, can only be an improvement.laugh.png

Also I think, will mostly be driving alone.

16474b6ea617a4ad-TransfagarasanHighway.J

The MT-07 is a pretty fun bike as well. I tried it back home during holidays and I ordered it at the bitec motorshow when I got back, I'll receive it begining of october.

Considering the price, it's viable option for you.

The MT-07 is a pretty fun bike as well. I tried it back home during holidays and I ordered it at the bitec motorshow when I got back, I'll receive it begining of october.

On the way back from work last night I passed an MT-07 (here in Singapore), nice bike but very small (I am 185cm + 95kg).

My MT-09 is as small as I wish to go.

MT-07 is a best seller over in the UK, seems they can't get enough of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorcycle_manufacturers/yamaha/10617930/Yamaha-MT-07-review.html

Edited by soihok

A little birdy told me the MT-09 will be available with ABS end of the year.

I got on trouble with the Yamaha FZ 09 - Aluminium oil pan and all together in the figuration I drove her, she is a little bit to wild stallion for me.tongue.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/835173-phuket-airport-damaged-oil-pan-of-big-bike-driving-up-small-ramp-to-get-to-advised-parking-lot/

You right, I am a Yamaha fan, so I will get me some more information. rolleyes.gif

Wow, still he keeps us in suspense. whistling.gif

But some great info on here and a great read.clap2.gif

The last weeks only full of rain in Isaan, not much missed without bike.

Thought also of a second-hand possibility of a Honda CB650F with low miles and already some goodies, exhaust, ect.

found such offers but one seller, did not contact me back until now, is not online since long blink.png

and so, the other bike is sold already as I waiting to long to compare them in one visit.

A second hand Kawasaki z1000 in nice colors, came now also in my radar, with 2 years old,

and acceptable miles and price its also a possibility. thumbsup.gif

On the way back from work last night I passed an MT-07 (here in Singapore), nice bike but very small (I am 185cm + 95kg).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorcycle_manufacturers/yamaha/10617930/Yamaha-MT-07-review.html

Could fit me the MT-07, I am small, 1,72, and (to) heavy. tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I'm 1.75 and 58kg, the bike is perfect for my size and not too heavy (180kg with full tank).

I'm 1.75 and 58kg, the bike is perfect for my size and not too heavy (180kg with full tank).

Yes I know, the MT-07 would be right is not heavy - I am too heavy! rolleyes.gif

BUT,

looked and price 299.000.- B. in TH, on a second thought, for that price even a bit less you get a 4 cyl. Honda CB650F, whistling.gif

Yes I know, the MT-07 would be right is not heavy - I am too heavy! rolleyes.gif

BUT,

looked and price 299.000.- B. in TH, on a second thought, for that price even a bit less you get a 4 cyl. Honda CB650F, whistling.gif

I understand you point of view. But for me (I tested both bikes, 200km with the CB) and my favorite is the MT because more torque and a better riding position (the CB ruined my balls multiple times tongue.png). But yes, everyone tastes are different!

Edited by Dewey

I understand you point of view. But for me (I tested both bikes, 200km with the CB) and my favorite is the MT because more torque and a better riding position (the CB ruined my balls multiple times tongue.png). But yes, everyone tastes are different!

To compare that good same you, I have to take a ride with the MT 07 - not easy in TH and now I think,

was driving the Honda CB650F and had no (ballswink.png ) problems.

My whole body is more same a big ball. smile.png