Thai govt denies firing shots to deter Rohingya boats away

webfact

Thailand as any other sovereign nation has a right to protect it's borders from illegal boat people wherever they come from. Why do countries have border protection practices in place ? not for the fun of it thats for sure. It's there to ensure there is no illegal entry into the country .... correct .

Yes, but Thailand is in a powerful position ( or was as the boats have sailed). They could have earned big brownie points/negotiating position with EU and others by agreeing to host these people in staging areas. Missed opportunity in both strategic and humanitarian terms.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand as any other sovereign nation has a right to protect it's borders from illegal boat people wherever they come from. Why do countries have border protection practices in place ? not for the fun of it thats for sure. It's there to ensure there is no illegal entry into the country .... correct .

That would be correct.

But the many ignorant ones ,yourself included, seem to forget why these people are here in the first place.

You seem to have forgot, for decades these people have been smuggled here on Thai boats, with crews paid by Thais. You also seem to forget that these these Thai smugglers also bring these people ashore, with the aid of Thai police, military and govt officials, stick them in prison camps in Thai jungles and extort additional money from their families.

Of course you dont want any of those facts getting in the way of your continuous rants about illegal boat people. Correct?

"Thailand has a non violence policy when dealing with Rohyngian's" as can be seen from previous encounters with the Thai Navy and the host of shallow graves found in the camps in the south.

That would be correct.

But the many ignorant ones ,yourself included, seem to forget why these people are here in the first place.

You seem to have forgot, for decades these people have been smuggled here on Thai boats, with crews paid by Thais. You also seem to forget that these these Thai smugglers also bring these people ashore, with the aid of Thai police, military and govt officials, stick them in prison camps in Thai jungles and extort additional money from their families.

Of course you dont want any of those facts getting in the way of your continuous rants about illegal boat people. Correct?

seem to forget why these people are here in the first place. ....

you lost me somewhere in that comment .......... they are travelling by boat because they were constantly fighting with Myanmar government officials and the Myanmar army as well as Buddhists & Christians in Myanmar and they are looking to go to Malaysia as they have others there.

Correct, there are thai traffickers that need to be caught, any smuggler is scum and need to be killed wherever they come from.

But it does not alter the fact that the Thailand has every right to protect it's border, same as any other country and if that means they have to resort to force then so be it.

It doesn't alter the fact that these people are illegal immigrants and therefore need to be processed as such. If this means a form of detention then thats the rules on border protection.

However, they need immediate food, water & medicine and fuel so they can return safely to Myanmar, Bangladesh or Malaysia if they will accept them, but I doubt it as they are illegal immigrants.

Edited by steven100

( and most notably from the treacherous vixen who should be handing back her peace prize before it is withdrawn).

Prior to working in Myanmar, I had a lot of respect for that 'lady'.

However, after living and working in the poorer, minority ethnic group communities, I realised that she has only ever supported the majority, Burman, Buddhist ethnic group - she has done little or nothing to support the minority ethnic and religious groups.

Edited by simon43

We asked all our soldiers, none of them did it --> ok must be true then

They didn't want to land in Thailand ---> right , they all wanted to stay on the boat and continue suffering

"The boat people are primarily Bangladeshis fleeing poverty, and Rohingya Muslims escaping ethno-religious persecution in Myanmar. Most are seeking to settle in Muslim-majority Malaysia or Indonesia ..."

The are/were 800,000 Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar mainly in the North west. Since 1972 there have been a number of insurgencies and as with most groups of Muslims they can never see anyone's point but their own. I can understand the Myanmar people kicking them out. They look at the 6000 + Thai's killed by these fanatic's and want them gone.

If you ask them why a 9 year old Thai boy had his head cut off, they will say something like " his uncle in the next village insulted Mohammad"

If you ask them why a 14 year old boy had to die in Syria they will tell you he had the nerve to ask "freedom fighters" to pay for coffee.

Every country in the world has had some sort of checkered past but very few match the total brutality of the Islamists and their supporters.

"Remember there will be a supporter of IS in a town near you."

They didn't want to land in Thailand ---> right , they all wanted to stay on the boat and continue suffering

No, all they want's to settle in Thailand without legal permission and to exploit their population so as they can demand separate nation in future same as they are doing in Myanmar and Thai navy is just trying to keep them away.

What happen if somebody will try to enter in your home without your permission or illegally , will you allow them or push them back. Here Thai navy is providing them assistance to keep their journey continue to another destination but even if they try to enter in Thailand, Thai navy should shoot them also, as everybody has right to save their own home.

Unbelievable

That would be correct.

you lost me somewhere in that comment .......... they are travelling by boat because they were constantly fighting with Myanmar government officials and the Myanmar army as well as Buddhists & Christians in Myanmar and they are looking to go to Malaysia as they have others there.

Correct, there are thai traffickers that need to be caught, any smuggler is scum and need to be killed wherever they come from.

But it does not alter the fact that the Thailand has every right to protect it's border, same as any other country and if that means they have to resort to force then so be it.

It doesn't alter the fact that these people are illegal immigrants and therefore need to be processed as such. If this means a form of detention then thats the rules on border protection.

However, they need immediate food, water & medicine and fuel so they can return safely to Myanmar, Bangladesh or Malaysia if they will accept them, but I doubt it as they are illegal immigrants.

OMG You still want them to go back to certain death in Myanmar.

Myanmar government officials were constantly killing and persecuting them with the help of Buddhists

Thailand has the right to protect it's border, yes but from what? I did not see the boats armed with cannon

Really astonishing how many dumb, idiotic, heartless and vile comments you get on the Rohinga- subject!

...and TVF- comments are even worse! bah.gif

Give your address, contact details and bank account status to the United Nations to qualify your offer for the number of them that you guarantee to provide for. I agree that it is a disaster that these people are out there and that letting them in here would be a worse disaster. They are NOT likely to be good citizens who would fit easily into the Thai way of life. The Thai navy is accused of threatening them with guns but they are the ones trying to hold a gun to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc's head. Bangladesh is a Muslim country. Why were this lot in particular (not ex Burma) un-happy there?

Edited by The Deerhunter

That would be correct.

How/why is it different if a few thousand illegal migrants are smuggled/trafficked here on boats, or hundreds of thousands of illegal migrants are smuggled/trafficked in overland from Burma, Cambodia, and Laos every year?

You are aware The Thai govt knows there are millions (3.5 million i believe) illegal migrants working in Thailand dont you? As far as I know there will be no action taken against these migrants if they just go register to work in Thailand.

The only reason there is a problem with these particular immigrants is because the Thai govt, military and police have been caught, again, to be complicit in trafficking,extorting and enslaving these people.

Edited by dcutman

they are right not to let them in,just look at other countries the uk is one and full.the eu is full too so let them go back to there own country is better.

But they don't want to go back to their own country because there they will not get free water, food and other facilities which they can get here as refugees.

Also another reason they don't want go back because their own country Bangladesh (originally) don't want them back.

Thai navy must not allow them to enter otherwise in future they will do same, as now they are doing in Myanmar.

It cannot be said that this is a simple matter of return to Bangladesh. These people have been in Myanmar for 100 years and several generations. They have no ties to Bangladesh. The solution has to involve resettlement and/or a change of attitude in Myanmar ( and most notably from the treacherous vixen who should be handing back her peace prize before it is withdrawn).

I am sorry, but these people fled to Myanmar during Bangladesh liberation war as refugees , also to India. that time they were few thousands but now as they have been multiples and they describe them-self as Myanmar people, but reality is this that they all are only refugees and they must go back to their native nation.

The Royal Thai Navy might have fired on these vessels to destroy any information that might incriminate the RTN with the trafficking of these people.

Unfortunately the gunner was not very accurate and missed with his only shell!

I agree with some others on here, not too many humanitarian people on this site.

Just like all the politicians in this country, self,self,self

"The boat people are primarily Bangladeshis fleeing poverty, and Rohingya Muslims escaping ethno-religious persecution in Myanmar. Most are seeking to settle in Muslim-majority Malaysia or Indonesia ..."

The are/were 800,000 Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar mainly in the North west. Since 1972 there have been a number of insurgencies and as with most groups of Muslims they can never see anyone's point but their own. I can understand the Myanmar people kicking them out. They look at the 6000 + Thai's killed by these fanatic's and want them gone.

If you ask them why a 9 year old Thai boy had his head cut off, they will say something like " his uncle in the next village insulted Mohammad"

If you ask them why a 14 year old boy had to die in Syria they will tell you he had the nerve to ask "freedom fighters" to pay for coffee.

Every country in the world has had some sort of checkered past but very few match the total brutality of the Islamists and their supporters.

Aspects of Islam are very dangerous and cannot be tolerated but I see that this debate over whether the Rohinga boat people should be helped is not being determined on the basis of need but rather on the basis of religion. But since that has become the main issue I argue against lumping ALL Muslims into a jihadist category which they clearly are not. This seems to be the main premise for turning them away. The majority of Muslims are not fundamentalist but are very diverse and barely nominal and I know a few. So the whole argument to me is irrelevant in light of the obvious present need of the refugees.

The Royal Thai Navy might have fired on these vessels to destroy any information that might incriminate the RTN with the trafficking of these people.

I agree with some others on here, not too many humanitarian people on this site.

Who said any shots were fired? References please?

Mohammed says Allah told them to breed up large to take over the world in the name of Islam. They lost my sympathy about there. There are decent gentle middle-of the road Muslims who want peaceful co-existence. Islam calls them apostates & ISIS & ai Queda kill them for being traitors to the cause. Their religion has put them between a rock & a hard place. Time for them to rethink the cause of their problem, or die trying.

it has a right to protect its borders. on land is different than water. it doesnt have the right to shoot at them on the open sea. shame on Thailand

it dosent have the right to shoot at innocents on the open sea

If you read my entry properly it said in the first sentence " might "!

Second sentence, a little bit of sarcasm !

I agree with you about the Muslim problem, but alas that is not our concern.

Although I could ask you for a link about Allah and Mohammed, sarcasm.

If you read my entry properly it said in the first sentence " might "!

Second sentence, a little bit of sarcasm !

I agree with you about the Muslim problem, but alas that is not our concern.

Although I could ask you for a link about Allah and Mohammed, sarcasm.

Anyone who places a basket full of "poor little kittens" right into my living room shouting at me to "the hell deal with this!" would get a mouthful... This is not Thailand's problem!

Between a Rohingya and a military head, who would you believe.

Military never lies, right?

Maybe they did lie, but hay, I would do the same they are not refugees, they are trying to get to another country and that makes them illegals, let the Muslim countries take care of them, they will be a pain in time to come, and stop using women and children as a shield to get what they want, what they want and what they should get are two different things, and I am on Thailands side with this one.

It is sad that some use the suffering of these people to push agendas that are not supported by anything other than their speculation.

Compassion for the less fortunate is often missing in the hearts of those with dark and sinister thoughts.