Brit In/Out EU Referendum

EU REFERENDUM - VOTES FOR ALL

TO: THE RT HON OLIVER LETWIN MP, CHANCELLOR OF THE DUCHY OF LANCASTER, CABINET OFFICE.

Currently, all British Citizens who have resided overseas for a period of more than 15 years lose their entitlement to vote in all UK elections. We call on HM Government to amend the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act (2000) to enable all British Citizens living overseas the right to vote in the forthcoming EU Referendum.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/eu-referendum-votes-for-all

(Don't shoot the messenger!)

Edited by evadgib
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like our chums over the channel don't want us to leave, they like our contributions, most business people and the bankers want to stay in whilst I think the people see nothing in it for them apart from open borders and the same currency everywhere. It will be interesting to see what if any concessions Cameron, Osbourne and Hammond come back with, what Ossie is saying sounds the right combination to me and its about time we had a vote on the latest version of the EEC what I voted to go into and it sure is not the EEC now is it?

Today Airbus said they might have consider their position if we voted out, a bit of blackmail from France detected there I think but I am sure we will still continue to trade with the EU, they cannot afford not to trade with us either so it will be interesting to to see how things develop, I hope they do give us the full facts and the question is not a loaded one, the next 18 months should be very interesting.

If you watched Cameron's speech today on immigration it is clear he has only one target from the EU as a 'concession". That is he wants a change to the rights of immigrants (EU) not to be able to simply come over with no job offer and then claim benefit.

If he can get that, then this will be portrayed as his major 'negotiating skill concession' which he will portray to the country as a 'triumph' and seek support for a 'yes' vote to stay in.

All the other issues that concern the public will not even be addressed, although of course there may be a certain amount of window dressing.

I notice the tactics have been updated. All their problems in the last government were caused by Labour and all their inabilities to resolve them (immigration numbers for example) are all the fault of the Lib Dem partners.

Lets hope they begin to take some responsibility now they have a majority.

Of course, the only reason the Tories are interested in extending the overseas vote is that expats are more likely to vote following the Tory line.

Now, if they really cared about expats they'd do something about inflation-linked pension rises for all expats. But then, nobody ever called them "the caring party".

Oliver Letwin is a an imbecile who should still be in jail.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/information-commissioner-says-oliver-letwin-broke-law-over-dumped-documents-6262488.html

Some might find this article interesting

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2052433/Chart-How-does-Britain-pay-EU-does-back.html

Sounds like a great deal to me. Time to kick it into touch.

Of course, the only reason the Tories are interested in extending the overseas vote is that expats are more likely to vote following the Tory line.

Now, if they really cared about expats they'd do something about inflation-linked pension rises for all expats. But then, nobody ever called them "the caring party".

This expat voted UKIP but even so the Tory candidate got in.

It was a safe Lib/Dem seat for many years but the incumbent retired this time around.

UKIP came 3rd.

Next election we should win the seat.

I do not care what concessions,Cameron gets I still want out because if you vote to stay in ,in a few years time the concessions will be reversed just like Blair did when he gave all the Money Maggie got from the EU back,don't trust any of them ,out,out,out

The EU has been a resounding success. Formed to prevent war and starvation in Europe, there hasn't been a single shot in anger fired between members states.

Unfortunately the Greatest Generation gave birth to the Idiot Generation. People who bask in the glory of their parents achievements while dodging military service at every chance. If you could speak to your Mum and Dad today and ask them this question -

"Is it worth paying into a common fund to stop war and starvation?"

What do you think the answer would be?

Anyone that walks into that booth and votes us out is an idiot. Your parents would be embarrassed.

Now try this one:

"Dad, I want to go live in Thailand - the government says they'll send me my pension, but it will be fixed at the rate it is when I leave the country."

"Uhuhu, so what's your question?"

"Do you think that's fair?"

"How much notice has the government given you that you won't get an increase?"

"Only seventy years or so."

"What's wrong with you, you half-wit? count yourself lucky your getting a pension at all, and in my day we had capital controls so you couldn't even take your money out of the country."

"Oh, and another thing, Daddy - I want a vote to get the foreigners out of Britain while I'm collecting my pension in a foreign country."

"MATILDA !! DID YOU BANG THE MILK MAN??? BECAUSE NO SON OF MINE CAN BE THIS MUCH OF A MORON."

You know - some of you guys are decent men, who are just not looking at this in the right way. There is no insurance policy too expensive to prevent war in Europe, or starvation in Europe. And that is all the EU has to do - stop war and hunger.

So stop the wittering self-pity crap and do the right thing.

Vote Yes To Europe.

Edited by phrodan

The EU has been a resounding success. Formed to prevent war and starvation in Europe, there hasn't been a single shot in anger fired between members states.

Unfortunately the Greatest Generation gave birth to the Idiot Generation. People who bask in the glory of their parents achievements while dodging military service at every chance. If you could speak to your Mum and Dad today and ask them this question -

Anyone that walks into that booth and votes us out is an idiot. Your parents would be embarrassed.

Now try this one:

"Dad, I want to go live in Thailand - the government says they'll send me my pension, but it will be fixed at the rate it is when I leave the country."

"What's wrong with you, you half-wit? count yourself lucky your getting a pension at all, and in my day we had capital controls so you couldn't even take your money out of the country."

"Oh, and another thing, Daddy - I want a vote to get the foreigners out of Britain while I'm collecting my pension in a foreign country."

"MATILDA !! DID YOU BANG THE MILK MAN??? BECAUSE NO SON OF MINE CAN BE THIS MUCH OF A MORON."

You know - some of you guys are decent men, who are just not looking at this in the right way. There is no insurance policy too expensive to prevent war in Europe, or starvation in Europe. And that is all the EU has to do - stop war and hunger.

Vote Yes To Europe.

4 Net Contributors. 24 Leeches. Successful for who ?

Is your mothers name Matilda perchance ?

Now try this one:

Vote Yes To Europe.

Successful for every British man that has NOT BEEN SLAUGHTERED in the war fields of Europe over the last 70 years.

World War two was born at the signing of the Treaty of Versaille.

Churchill warned that the level of reparations would bankrupt Germany and sow a seed. He was right.

He was a lone voice in the wilderness for years - MP's ridiculed him when he stood up to speak in the Commons - and he was right.

He was right to warn of the reparation danger - and he was right to warn of the danger of appeasement.

The Common Market was born of war, was born of starvation in Europe.

And that war was in the lifetime of many members of this board.

It's shameful how many of you are making the same mistake as those that mocked Churchill.

Now try this one:

Vote Yes To Europe.

Successful for every British man that has NOT BEEN SLAUGHTERED in the war fields of Europe over the last 70 years.

Has the Balkans moved from Europe ?

Go phone Matilda.

Now try this one:

Vote Yes To Europe.

Go phone Matilda.

Were the Balkans part of the EU?

Wake up - you're only proving my milk man point.

Always amazing - how people who grew up when the communist threat was at it's height - when the Cuban Missile Crisis threatened human extinction - who rejoiced when the Berlin Wall came down - forget.

The EU is all about peace in Europe - there's not been a single bullet fired in anger between member states since it's inception. And here we have grown British men posting links saying that the EU contribution has cost the UK £85 billion over 32 years - less than £3 billion a year - and calling it expensive.

Unbelievable.

Expensive is the Somme, expensive is Dunkirk - expensive is the UK state being left with a national debt that was 273% of the GDP. £2.65 billion a year to prevent war and starvation in Europe is cheap.

Go phone Matilda.

Before you have to run off and phone your mother Matilda. I have highlighted the relevant part for you.

I never mentioned the EU, you mentioned Europe.

And the last time I was there, the Balkans were definitely in Europe.

Edited by JockPieandBeans

Always amazing - how people who grew up when the communist threat was at it's height - when the Cuban Missile Crisis threatened human extinction - who rejoiced when the Berlin Wall came down - forget.

The EU is all about peace in Europe - there's not been a single bullet fired in anger between member states since it's inception. And here we have grown British men posting links saying that the EU contribution has cost the UK £85 billion over 32 years - less than £3 billion a year - and calling it expensive.

Unbelievable.

Expensive is the Somme, expensive is Dunkirk - expensive is the UK state being left with a national debt that was 273% of the GDP. £2.65 billion a year to prevent war and starvation in Europe is cheap.

I tend to agree with your sentiments and will vote to remain in the EU.

On the general point, I differ slightly, it was/is NATO that have kept the military peace. I was stationed in Berlin during the Cuban Missile Crisis, 300 yards from a Russian tank division. Pretty nervous time.

However, NATO or the EU - the broad concept is the same. Peace and stability in a united Europe.

Go phone Matilda.

Before you make your phone call. I have highlighted the relevant part from you.

You mentioned Europe. I did not mention the EU.

The last time I was in the Balkans, it was in Europe.

I think the majority of Brits will vote according to their personal circumstances

and whether it would be beneficial to them or not.

ie:

As an expat or exporter or frequent traveller, how would it affect the value of the £ + or - ?

As a business owner how would it affect staff employment, europeans or only Brits?

As a person living in an area that's highly populated with European migrants ?

As a Brit who owns property in an EU country and frequently travels there.

etc, etc, etc….

Go phone Matilda.

Before you make your phone call. I have highlighted the relevant part from you.

You mentioned Europe. I did not mention the EU.

The last time I was in the Balkans, it was in Europe.

The Balkans were not part of the EU.

Not a single EU member state has fired a shot in anger against another since the day the Common Market was formed.

This topic is about the EU - my point stands.

So, Britain leaves the EU , we can expect a war in Europe , between who .?

Maybe, the olive throwing Greeks , who along with uncontrolled immigration , are the main cause of discontent in Britain.

Maybe the Italians , known historically for their retreat and surrender policies in war situations .

Maybe Germany , with its limited and controlled Military , Air force , etc .

oops , I nearly forget France , nothing personal.

IS.. is the biggest problem , these fanatics, are non negotiable going Nuclear soon. Bang.

Spend now, while you can you have been warned .wai2.gif

Yes. Your point stands.

It is time you phoned Matilda.

You clearly have no idea what constitutes Europe.

The topic is EU.

Not a single shot fired in anger between member states since it's inception.

A fabulous success.

You bringing up the Balkans only proves my point.

So, Britain leaves the EU , we can expect a war in Europe , between who .?

Maybe, the olive throwing Greeks , who along with uncontrolled immigration , are the main cause of discontent in Britain.

Maybe the Italians , known historically for their retreat and surrender policies in war situations .

Maybe Germany , with its limited and controlled Military , Air force , etc .

oops , I nearly forget France , nothing personal.

IS.. is the biggest problem , these fanatics, are non negotiable going Nuclear soon. Bang.

Spend now, while you can you have been warned .wai2.gif

Hilarious - think about it for a moment.

The Russian Bear has just invaded a sovereign country that they guaranteed they would never invade in return for that country giving up their nuclear weapons.

Just about every other day NATO aircraft are being scrambled to fend off Russian incursions into NATO airspace.

The Finnish government has just ordered their reservists to a higher state of alert.

Going back to Ukraine - Russia is openly subverting Ukraine democracy by planting Russian troops with the rebels - and have already admitted that it was their troops who led the operation to seize Crimea.

Do I think it will lead to full scale war? no -

Do I think this is the time for the greatest force for peace in European history to be unsettled by this stupid referendum? not a chance.

The UK should stand by the EU - it should stand by NATO ( instead of stripping our armed forces to the bone ) -

And it should stand by countries that were dominated by Russia for so long -

Anyway - I'm wasting my time on this thread.

This referendum is the last thrash of the Idiot Generation - the generation that ruined Britain.

This referendum will be a crushing humiliation for them.

A deserved humiliation.

Now try this one:

Vote Yes To Europe.

Strangely enough I AM of your parent generation and YES I did serve 25 years in the RAF plus I voted for the UK to join the ECand NOT the EU.

I earned my pensions, all 3 of them and YES I did know that if I moved to Thailand my stste pension would be frozen but that was about 20 years ago. It certainly was not mentioned when I started paying contributions back in 1959 and AFAIK it still isn't published when you start paying contributions. It hasn't stopped the UK collecting income tax from me though and I started paying that in 1959 and will pay it up to my death.

You need to learn the difference between NATO and the EU as the EU don't by member countries who have little say have any military forces to stop any war between member countries and would most probably talk everybody to death and achieve very little.

Most of the EU regulations coming out nowadays are made by unelected beaurocrats and not any of the countries involved in the EU but ALL the member countries have to put up with it. The EU puts UP the cost of doing business with all their stupid petty rules and regulations.

The UK will be much better off outside the EU where we can apply our own rules and regulations laid out from a government that WE elected and and the next election we can vote out if we wish to do so.

If the EU is so good and so smart why does it move between Brussels and Strasburg for 6 months at a time and the cost for doing this and maintaining 2 separate locations falls on ALL member states.

Many countries exist quite happily outside of the EU which at 7 of 10 countries was manageable. Now at 28 countries there are only about 5 or 6 who are net contributors, the UK being one of them.

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea

EU countries

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

The UK will be better off leaving the EU in my honest opinion.

BTW

quote "So stop the wittering self-pity crap and do the right thing.

Vote Yes To Europe."

I don't speak any self pitying crap and I did the right thing.

I voted UKIP to get us out of Europe.

Now try this one:

Vote Yes To Europe.

Is it diffecult being as rude and silly as you are?

Ps i said silly to avoid being rude ,as you seem to know very little.

Edited by i claudius

Interesting article on the BBC website today - the EU is the ultimate peace dividend - and the further it reaches the better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32863749

'Two miracles'

Mr Lamy said if Britain left, it would be bad news for the EU.

He said in his previous jobs, he found world leaders, like the presidents of China and Brazil, felt the EU was founded on two miracles - peace between France and Germany, and British membership.

Now try this one:

Vote Yes To Europe.

Strangely enough I AM of your parent generation and YES I did serve 25 years in the RAF plus I voted for the UK to join the ECand NOT the EU.

I earned my pensions, all 3 of them and YES I did know that if I moved to Thailand my stste pension would be frozen but that was about 20 years ago. It certainly was not mentioned when I started paying contributions back in 1959 and AFAIK it still isn't published when you start paying contributions. It hasn't stopped the UK collecting income tax from me though and I started paying that in 1959 and will pay it up to my death.

You need to learn the difference between NATO and the EU as the EU don't by member countries who have little say have any military forces to stop any war between member countries and would most probably talk everybody to death and achieve very little.

Most of the EU regulations coming out nowadays are made by unelected beaurocrats and not any of the countries involved in the EU but ALL the member countries have to put up with it. The EU puts UP the cost of doing business with all their stupid petty rules and regulations.

The UK will be much better off outside the EU where we can apply our own rules and regulations laid out from a government that WE elected and and the next election we can vote out if we wish to do so.

If the EU is so good and so smart why does it move between Brussels and Strasburg for 6 months at a time and the cost for doing this and maintaining 2 separate locations falls on ALL member states.

Many countries exist quite happily outside of the EU which at 7 of 10 countries was manageable. Now at 28 countries there are only about 5 or 6 who are net contributors, the UK being one of them.

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea

EU countries

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU or EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

The UK will be better off leaving the EU in my honest opinion.

BTW

quote "So stop the wittering self-pity crap and do the right thing.

Vote Yes To Europe."

I don't speak any self pitying crap and I did the right thing.

I voted UKIP to get us out of Europe.

Which just goes to show that your grasp on logic is slipping.

The Tories had offered an EU referendum, and were the only party likely to deliver on that promise.

Anyone with any sense that was anti-EU voted Tory based upon that promise.

Your UKIP vote was wasted - as it was always going to be.

You did the wrong thing.