Looking for a decent hair salon/shop?

toenail

I sometimes get my haircut for 100 baht when all I need are my sides to be cut with clippers and a slight trim on top. But since I am still working, I do care about a decent haircut with some style. I have gone to a couple of the hair salons at Central shopping mall but many times these "hair stylists" are in a hurry with a flow of customers...or I will finally find some fellow that cuts my hair the correct way then he has changed shops. Generally, I cannot say I have been impressed with the "barbers" or "hair stylists" that cut men's hair in Pattaya ....

Finally I have found a salonon 2nd Rd. north that is a Korean hair salon chain called "Hairmango" and this shop has 2-3 professionally trained hair stylists that are from Korea. As soon as I sat in the chair I could tell the Korean fellow that started to cut my hair with scissors (from his holster of 3-4 kinds of scissors), not automatically reaching for a standard electric clipper, knew what he was doing. The price for a haircut, including shampoo was 300 baht, the same price as at Central. Very professional and not substandard at all. (You may want to take a photo along to show him what you want since his English is limited.) I have been there three times now and by the second time, he remembers what kind of cut/ look you want. They do women's hair also.

Hairmango hair salon is in a new shop so everything is in top shape. The salon in located in the little "Korean restaurant" enclave that is on the left side of north 2nd Rd -- 1 block north from Big C north. When you see Burger King on the left, Hairmango is across the outside walking mall area. Parking could be done on the soi where "Arts in Paradise" is located or park behind the Holiday Inn. Opens 11am Closes 11pm everyday but not on Wed. They have a website also.

NOTE: This post is not for viewers to inform the readers how much cheaper their haircut or how expensive 300 baht is but for those men and women that are frustrated getting poor hair cuts/ styles and want to try something totally different, a Korean hair shop with qualified, certified help is a nice change in the city.

Edited by toenail

Wierd these Korean hair stylists would be working in a hole like Pattaya...I would think they could make much more won at in salon in Korea. Anyway, as someone once said, there's only two weeks difference between a bad haircut and a good one. I'll stick to my number 3 buzz cut for B 100 but for those with actual hair to style this place sounds nice.

I've been getting my hair cut from the same Thai lady, Rung, for about 6 years. Her shop is in the Caesar Hotel on Second Road, just about across from Soi 7. Reasonable price of 100 baht, hasn't changed in years. Her English is good as her husband is from Singapore.

Yeah what impressed me about the Korean salons I used to use in the U.S. was the use of scissors and avoiding razors. I tried a few of them and I could tell they all had the same Korean style of training. The trouble was communication. Frankly, even with fluent English, communicating with hair stylists can be a challenge. I think with a new stylist they tend to judge what you want based on your overall appearance. As I'm older that means it's safe for them to assume I want the most boring businessman cut they can do. I have another challenge as I have "ethnic" hair which Asian stylists don't have a lot of experience with.

Generally in Thailand when I find someone who can do a not horrible job and I don't have to struggle to explain what I want every time, I stick with them for years. But I find eventually they take the business for granted and even not horrible can slack down. So I'm open now to trying something new.

I also don't mind paying more if its better than not horrible, but really there is no assurance that paying more or even much more gets much better.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you for the tip about the Korean hair salon. The only place I've found in Pattaya to actually do a good job with scissors is a lady working at Hairwell inside Central. My hair is not difficult, still CutnCurl next door to Hairwell did a horrible job with it. Will certainly check out the Korean salon.

• 1 month later...

Ive tried a few, there is a fairly good salon in Pattaya in central mall called DE BEAUTE, i think its on the 3rd level.
Failing that id just get my hair done in Bangkok at either Zahara Salon in Sukumvit 13 or Zenred Salon in Rama 3 - Thats if you want something specifically good for Westerners with english speaking stylists that know their stuff, they seem to be the best 2 in Thailand that are not crazy prices just 350 baht,

• 1 year later...

I've had many haircuts in Pattaya—from the standard 100 baht, mostly electric clipper, cut to 400-baht salon cuts—and never been really satisfied. It might look OK right after but in a week or two starts looking uneven and raggedy. Yesterday, I found Hair Mango, armed with a photo on my iPad. The price is now 400 baht, which seems steep, but I think it was worth it. Yes, you could tell that the young Korean guy was trained and knew what he was doing. (This guy had been there 1 month; my guess is that they are rotated in and out periodically.) One difference from any other cut I've had was that, after the cut and a shampoo, there was a little more cutting for the final touches. I will go back there next time, and maybe follow up the cut with some Korean food next door or across the way. Thanks to the forum for pointing me in the right direction.

• 10 months later...

Hair Mango is no longer there. It was replaced by a hair salon called Coiffure something, in the same spot probably. I went inside, the price is 400 baht. I saw three Thai women stylists and one young Korean guy sitting behind the counter. I asked about haircut with scissors, the Thai girl said can do. I asked I need a man hair stylist to do it. She said the Korean guy can do it. I looked at him and he didn't strike me as a stylist at all. Plus he didn't understand any English.

I left and went to Big C across the street. I found the perfect shop there. I'm leaving a review here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/986945-good-hairdresser/