Thaksin wants strong support base before contemplating return home

webfact

POLITICS
Thaksin wants strong support base before contemplating return home

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- FUGITIVE former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has told a South Korean newspaper that he would prefer to wait until support for his camp is strong enough before making a political return.

Speaking to Chosun Ilbo in Seoul, Thaksin said he wanted to tell his red-shirt supporters who were calling for his return to "wait patiently until our voice gains strength". But he insisted that "violence is not the answer".

In 2010, street protests in Bangkok by Thaksin's supporters led to unrest and riots. More than 90 people were killed and 2,000 others were injured in the weeks of violence.

The ex-premier, who is living in exile overseas to avoid imprisonment at home, gave an exclusive interview to Chosun Ilbo. He was in Seoul earlier this week attending the Asian Leadership Conference, which was organised by the newspaper. Thaksin was a speaker at the annual international event.

Thaksin also had a message for Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha. "Matters of the people should be resolved democratically … What the military wants and what the general public wants are different. What I mean is that the people should not be seen as subordinates."

When asked how he views the post-coup government, Thaksin responded: "It is regrettable that politics is moving backwards only in Thailand when advances are being made across the world.

"I want to clone the DNA of the Thai democracy. I want to take it [DNA] into the 'Thaksin lab' to make a stronger and better democracy."

Meanwhile, General Prayut has told the American cable news channel CNN that his government remained committed to returning Thailand to democracy, despite repeated delays in the timetable for new elections.

"I reaffirm, as I always have, that our country must be fully democratic, but it must be a constitutional monarchy. I am not trying to resist or delay or meddle with this at all. I don't want to be in power," he said.

Thaksin, who has retained his influence in the formerly-ruling Pheu Thai Party, alleged that the new constitution aimed "to bring about the rise of many small parties in order to prevent a particular party wielding too much power".

He added: "A new constitution that reflects the will of the people should be established."

He defended his younger sister, former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who has been charged with negligence in connection with her government's Bt518-billion corruption-plagued rice-pledging scheme.

"It was a policy to help the poor. It is probably the first time in the world that a prime minister was indicted for such a policy. It is a contradiction to want to generate profits while helping the poor. Is it not the obvious thing to do in spite of losses? Other countries have similar policies," he told Chosun Ilbo.

Thaksin also defended his political party's populist policies.

"The poor can benefit from such policies, and they can spend the money," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thaksin-wants-strong-support-base-before-contempla-30260674.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-22

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I imagine that just 24 hours ago he stressed that the rule of law must be followed. Today's outburst said that basically when he thinks he has bought enough support from the retarded and feeble-minded, screw the rule of law and democracy, he will rally his slackjaws and attempt to gain control over Thailand through terrorism. Entirely predictable IMO.

We always knew TS was bonkers, unfortunately bloody dangerous with it. Delusions and hallucinations are probably the best-known symptoms of schizophrenia (from Surviving Schizophrenia, by E. Fuller Torrey)

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

Did I imagine that just 24 hours ago he stressed that the rule of law must be followed. Today's outburst said that basically when he thinks he has bought enough support from the retarded and feeble-minded, screw the rule of law and democracy, he will rally his slackjaws and attempt to gain control over Thailand through terrorism. Entirely predictable IMO.

By 'retarded and feeble-minded', are you referring to a large portion of the electorate?

Just want to know where you're coming from.

By 'retarded and feeble-minded', are you referring to a large portion of the electorate?

A large portion, but less than 50%, is that what you are referring to? Interesting to see that Thaksin's bald lies and absolutely contradicting himself publicly in less than 24 hours does not take the shine off him for the enamored.

Pats on the back to Baker,Bell,Botts ,Peroff and big Bobby A. You polished a turd boys.

I think he's just trying to mess with people's minds for some twisted, sadistic self pleasure - because he knows he will never be able to return. My take on this is that he's made the comments to put the military in an awkward position, kind of forcing them to strengthen their grip on power for fear of him rejuvenating his support base. It's just a sneaky little sub-plot designed to keep the military on their toes and ensure his dwindling band of supporters continue to sit their with their tongues hanging out and panting in anticipation of a few more scraps from the Thaksin dinner table.

Ignore it.

"The poor can benefit from such policies, and they can spend the money," he said

nice theory, unfortunately the money did not get to benefit the poor.

The damage wrought by the rice scam nearly bankrupted the Thai nation,

It worked so well rice many rice farmers ended up hanging themselves.

this is a man with no consience, sad to see him still thinking he can return.

""I want to clone the DNA of the Thai democracy. I want to take it [DNA] into the 'Thaksin lab' to make a stronger and better democracy.""

and some complain about re-education sessions ?

Please be careful with your posts. We take this forum rule very seriously. It is the law here.

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

"The poor can benefit from such policies, and they can spend the money," he said.

He "forgot" to mention, that the Shins and their lackeys benefited the most!!

What a sad old man!!

He "forgot" to mention, that the Shins and their lackeys benefited the most!!

What a sad old man!!

The poor gets 20%, and guess who keeps the 80%...

And when that is not enough, they get credit cards...

And here we go again, despite claims and promises he would not be making such speeches in Seol, he is at it again.

Democracy, shemogracy, he would not know first thing about democracy.

His loyal party just wants a chance at making more money and followers just want their handouts.

Neither care about Thailand or each other

4 Years Ago: Thaksin say he will return at the end of the year

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05/09/national/Thaksin-Ill-return-at-end-of-year-Year-30154905.html

He missed his best chance while his baby sister was PM.

How delusional is this creature that he would even broach the subject of his return while Gen. Prayuth is PM and head of the NCPO? If he came back tomorrow, does anyone think he would get bail? Straight to jail, do not pass GO, and do not collect $200. No 'Get Out of Jail Free' card for you.

"I want to clone the DNA of the Thai democracy. I want to take it [DNA] into the 'Thaksin lab' to make a stronger and better democracy."

His megalomania has exceeded his ability to hide it. He still wants to mold Thailand in his image.

Wow, so easy to pick holes in everything he says, even though those that are still in love with him will believe every word he says.

"violence is not the answer" ... except when I pay for it.

"people should not be seen as subordinates." ... except when I do it.

"The poor can benefit from such policies, and they can spend the money" ... as long as I get to keep 80% of it, and the sheeple can have the rest if there's any left over after all my "middlemen" have screwed you all over.

Khun Thaksin take it from an outsider , don't return , you done your dash when you went to the Beijing Games then flew the coup to the UK , I have no objection to you returning to your home country , indeed it would be nice if you could return home after statute of limitations expires , if your track record had been perfect, however , think of Thailand , even if you think only of those 4,500 families that lost loved ones in the supposed drugs purge campaign in the North , you would understand your return Khun Thaksin might not be good for Thailand's health.

Edited by chainarong

In an interview screened on CNN this morning, he was asked what he thought of the charges [sic] against himself. His reply was that he thought they were designed to prevent him returning to Thailand.

Nothing of the sort! He is absolutely free to return any time he wants. A jail cell awaits.

A large portion, but less than 50%, is that what you are referring to? Interesting to see that Thaksin's bald lies and absolutely contradicting himself publicly in less than 24 hours does not take the shine off him for the enamored.

Pats on the back to Baker,Bell,Botts ,Peroff and big Bobby A. You polished a turd boys.

according to the last 10 years, Thaksin won all elections. So he will be backupped by at least 50% of the population and will still be whatever the General might do. To accept the reality is one requirement and sign of democracy even if you don't like it.

How to get very rich,very fast, while serving the community and the world... Why has no Thai yet got the idea to collect funds to help 'him' towards his next life (as a poisonous toad?), 20Baht per contributor would do to ensure a top-notch doubled contract, and still keep tens of millions for 'personal expenses'... Lack of creativity?