Two farang arrested for extorting from French businessman in Pattaya

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:-Police arrested a Russian man and a Briton for having allegedly robbed and extorted a protection fee from a French businessman in Pattaya.

Denis Zabodaev, 31, who carries a Russian passport, and Fenrir Pallson Hallan, 45, who carries a British passport, were arrested by immigration police on Thursday.

Chon Buri Immigration Police chief Pol Col Praphansak Prasarnsuk held a press conference at 2:30 pm at the Chon Buri Immigration Office shortly after the arrest.

Praphansak told the press conference that the arrest was made following a complaint with his office by Laurrent Emanuel Thery, 51, a French businessman.

Thery is an exporter of Islamic foods.

post-87022-0-76097200-1432256790_thumb.j

[Photo credit: Post Today]

The French businessman said in the complaint that four foreigners had raided his factory and forced him to give them some valuables and parts of the foods processing machine worth Bt50,000.

Thery said the four then forced him to lead them to his room at the Royal Thai Residence. They took more valuables and two Macbook computers worth Bt50,000. Before they fled, they also took his mobile phone.

Several days after the robbery, one of the alleged mafia gangsters called him and threatened to harm his family, Thery alleged. He said he had to wire Zabodaev Bt15,000 in a protection fee.

The French businessman said his family was frightened so he decided to seek help from the immigration police.

Police checked feeds of security cameras at the Royal Thai Residence and learned the identities of the four alleged mafia gangsters. Two of them were arrested and the two other are still elusive.

Zabodaev and Hallan faced extortion charges.

Seems like a lot of effort for such little rewards

Hope they enjoy their time in Thai prison

Yup...this is the scariest thing about many who choose a life of crime. They are stupid, so they will do irrational things.

Seems like a lot of effort for such little rewards

Hope they enjoy their time in Thai prison

Which makes me wonder if there is not more to it. Maybe money lending?

1: Let's do a thorough check on their visa status. How long and on what visas? 2: How have these two been supporting themselves? 3: Often there is a bit more to a story. Quite possible the business owner had borrowed some money and now there were issues and in desperation and fear finally decided to report things to the police?

Since the business man didn't go to the police initially, he almost has to have been up to something illegal himself. Who would be mugged and robbed by 2 pieces of Eurotrash and not do anything in response...unless you were afraid of telling the police?

It's odd that the French businessman would go straight to Immigration to report the crime rather than the police.

Also, why did ThaiVisa news have to use the headline "Two Farangs arrested..." ? Couldn't they have said "Russian and Brit arrested for extorting..."? I really don't like the use of the term "farang" by the media, especially our own media, when the nationality of the people under discussion is known.

It's odd that the French businessman would go straight to Immigration to report the crime rather than the police.

Also, why did ThaiVisa news have to use the headline "Two Farangs arrested..." ? Couldn't they have said "Russian and Brit arrested for extorting..."? I really don't like the use of the term "farang" by the media, especially our own media, when the nationality of the people under discussion is known.

It looks to me like the Frenchman went to the right police department i.e. Immigration albeit not straight away but I think it could be inferred from the way the piece is presented that Thais are good, farangs are bad and French businessmen are victims. The term 'farang' is being used detrimentally here. I think the idea is to make sure nobody is under the impression that the accused are Thais so you've got Thais, who aren't there, farangs (the accused) and a Frenchman (the victim). 'Farang' is also used (in the heading) in the singular as opposed to the plural as in 'a brace of pheasant', the 'brace' being the singular item.

So what are we looking at, 'a brace of farang' being charged with extorting money from and robbing a farang. What more is there to the story? Was he 'set up' by the accused in order for them to 'get something on him' or did he inadvertently reveal himself as someone in need of 'help and protection'!? Either way it looks like it's 'come on top' for the villains of the piece, if so you gotta feel sorry for the Frenchman and proud of him for turning the villains in.

Agree with you. It appears 3 times in the top 5 headlines, probably from this new "churnalist" who's been recently hired

Just wonder, are the words "slope", "chinks", "seppos", "negroes" ... also acceptable ?

For complete list : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

post-207807-0-84370600-1433040615_thumb.

It looks to me like the Frenchman went to the right police department i.e. Immigration albeit not straight away but I think it could be inferred from the way the piece is presented that Thais are good, farangs are bad and French businessmen are victims. The term 'farang' is being used detrimentally here. I think the idea is to make sure nobody is under the impression that the accused are Thais so you've got Thais, who aren't there, farangs (the accused) and a Frenchman (the victim). 'Farang' is also used (in the heading) in the singular as opposed to the plural as in 'a brace of pheasant', the 'brace' being the singular item.

So what are we looking at, 'a brace of farang' being charged with extorting money from and robbing a farang. What more is there to the story? Was he 'set up' by the accused in order for them to 'get something on him' or did he inadvertently reveal himself as someone in need of 'help and protection'!? Either way it looks like it's 'come on top' for the villains of the piece, if so you gotta feel sorry for the Frenchman and proud of him for turning the villains in.

I've heard of a brace of Pheasants, But never seen it used to describe a pair of Farang!

Brace, a pair of something, typically of birds or mammals killed in hunting.
"thirty brace of grouse"

• 2 weeks later...