How to Open an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) in Thailand

Hello Everyone

I have no experience with opening up (I live here) an ETF from Thailand. I want to buy the ETF "DVY" fund, any idea on how to proceed? I am basically looking for a dividend paying fund and this DVY seems to fit my requirements. So how should I proceed?

Thanks for any and all help.

DividendGuy

You don't mention your nationality. I'll assume non-US citizen. And I'll assume that DVY is the iShares ETF

Open a brokerage account somewhere like Luxembourg or Singapore.

Fill out a W-8BEN form.

Put money in the account.

Buy the ETF.

Expect withholding tax of 15 or 30% on all income, depending upon where you open the account and the brokerage concerned.

And if you are an American, you should probably use a US brokerage account with linked money market fund into which the dividends could be paid and from which you can transfer money as you need it using the broker's website or by establishing a standing order to transfer $x on a regular schedule.

Most, if not all, US brokerage accounts would require a US account address. My broker is fully aware that I am in Thailand, but the account I have still needs to have a US address.

If you have an existing bank account in the US, many banks offer brokerage services that can be linked to your bank account.

Edited by Suradit69

With a name like that, I would have thought you knew what to do.

I'm not at all sure if you can purchase this through your local thai bank or thai brokerage acct. through the SET.
It's an NYSE ETF

Edited by Nowisee

I am Canadian, and yes, I am capable of opening an account in other countries, but I wanted to know if it is possible to do it from Thailand. I usually buy individual dividend paying stocks here in Thailand and have no knowledge of buying ETFs/iShares in Thailand...that is why I asked.