Beach Road drainage pipe installation to begin in June

Rimmer

Beach Road drainage pipe installation to begin in June

n7beach1.jpg

PATTAYA:--The upgrade of Beach Road’s drainage system is expected to begin in June, but the planned simultaneous refilling of Pattaya Beach has been postponed again.

Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay said following a meeting with contractors and Marine Department officials May 11 that Pattaya’s inability to find sand that matches that currently on Pattaya Beach has necessitated yet another delay in the project to rebuild the beach after decades of erosion.

He said city hall is hopeful it will find a new source of sand by the end of May, but, in the interim, work on installation of three new, larger drainage pipelines and their connecting pipes will begin in June, meaning a summer of construction-related traffic jams for Beach Road.

At the first of two planning meetings this month May 6, PSI Engineering Co. executives said they still are obtaining necessary materials for the project, some of which had to be ordered from overseas.

The 192-million-baht project will see new outflow pipelines installed under Beach Road near the mouth of Walking Street, Soi 6/1 and at a North Pattaya location near the Dusit Curve still yet to be pinpointed. The South Pattaya pipeline will be three meters in diameter and 47 meters long. The Soi 6/1 pipe will be 2 meters in diameter and run 1.3 kilometers from the shoreline, and the third pipe will be 1.5 meters in diameter with an unspecified length.

Work will begin at the southernmost end of Beach Road and work progressively northward over an estimated four months. The city has begun to inform business owners along the affected sections of Beach Road and traffic delays and detours are expected.

Pattaya officials had planned to begin refilling the beach at the same time to reduce disruptions and traffic problems, but now have decided to wait until after the new pipes are laid beginning beach reconstruction.

The city originally had planned to bring sand from a Rayong estuary to an offshore barge in Pattaya, then use smaller equipment to bring the sand to shore and refill the beach and install supporting frames and breakwaters starting from the Dusit Curve southward.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/beach-road-drainage-pipe-installation-to-begin-in-june-47271#sthash.Y6oOKx8I.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-05-22 footer_n.gif

Improvements always cause congestion and disruption, but I prefer to look forward to what this means long term for the city. My life can easily work around their schedule to eventually make my life better.

I guess there was no way to coordinate this digging up beach road AGAIN with the recently digging up and widening of beach road undertaken only a year of so ago. So traffic will be even more joyful in the near future, with two of the major north-south arterials congested due to construction.

Dunno why they're bothering. The moron that designed the current roading and drainage obviously didn't subscribe to the general theory that water flows towards the path of least resistance.

I'll give anybody odds of 3 to 1 that after the construction is completed (which will cost three times the budgeted cost and take four times as long to complete than planned) that the flooding after even moderate rain will not be abated.

In fact, based on past performance, there's a good chance it will be worse than it is now.

Sod it......let's make it 5 to 1, just for fun. whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

• 4 months later...

Could some expert please explain how any flood water can drain into a pipe that ends under the sea, however long the pipe is? Surely the pressure of the sea water filling the pipe will just block the flow; and what happens when the pipe is full of sand? So far I have seen no sign of the necessary high pressure pumps needed to achieve the desired result.

Could some expert please explain how any flood water can drain into a pipe that ends under the sea, however long the pipe is? Surely the pressure of the sea water filling the pipe will just block the flow; and what happens when the pipe is full of sand? So far I have seen no sign of the necessary high pressure pumps needed to achieve the desired result.

I have never seen the sea on beach road.

But have seen the flood water from drains over flowing. on beach road.

So don't think its that hard to sort it out. ( improve it some what )

But obviously it is for city Hall, Tv members giggle.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I am no construction engineer. But..... here goes... I assume those pipes will have extensions welded onto them to take the poly trays, plastic bags, pantie liners, old cooking oil, urine, dog do do and everything else on the streets down under the sand that they will build a new beach from.

Well guess what ? With recent examples of the power of nature and also for the last thousands of years. Tropical downpours will rush down the system and cause the sand to be waterlogged. This makes it easier to flow away and collapse as it has already done to a much lower level than the current road/land level. This is how you get concrete to settle, you pump and vibrate into already wet concrete for it to level off.

In the not to dim and distant past the beach would have been held together with mangrove and and other tree root systems. Rain water would only enter the sea from rivers snd streams. Most of it would have been held back in mangrove swamps behind the current beach line. This is still partially evident in Jomtien where currently all manner of human and construction waste material is being dumped to fill in where the water was/is. Then Condos being built on it after extensive piling to get down to a solid base.

So, all we see here is a constant mistake in construction methods that will go on and on and on..... And we can blame Global warming again....ho ho ho.... not that tax raising turkey again....

its called gravity

its called gravity

And will only have an effect on an object that has greater density than the surrounding medium. And that is not even considering pressure differences .

I am no engineer but this whole project looks very questionable.and I am now going to research the overall project on an engineering forum.

Edited by morrobay

its called gravity

And will only have an effect on an object that has greater density than the surrounding medium. And that is not even considering pressure differences .

I am no engineer but this whole project looks very questionable.and I am now going to research the overall project on an engineering forum.

as long as the pipes are clear and large enough this should work with out pumps, personally I think its the best solution, altho I have doubts they will complete it

Edited by phycokiller

Improvements always cause congestion and disruption, but I prefer to look forward to what this means long term for the city. My life can easily work around their schedule to eventually make my life better.

A nice optimistic attitude, but living here one seems to move from one extended schedule to the next, or a constant state of disruption.

I look forward to the opening of the tunnel at the Klang/Sukhumvit junction in 2 or so years time, but I hear of a potential sequential project up at the Tai junction which will likely tail traffic back as far as that point. Just another 3 or so years from then maybe.....

Edited by jacko45k

Stay tuned for an answer https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/submarine-outfall-for-storm-water-drainage-pipe.839527/

Of course this is just a textbook question and does not consider all the other problems they are having/going to have

look forward to seeing replies but I think the important thing is the height of the water level at the pipe entrance compared to sea level, I dont think pressure from the sea will effect it at all. the street water level is at least 2 meters above sea so that water is going to want to get to sea level no matter how deep the pipe exit, but how fast it will get there depends on the size of the pipes and the amount of water, pumps would speed it up but if the pipe is big enough shouldnt be needed

The first thing that normally happens here, after very heavy rain, is that, due to either blocked or full pipes, the areas of least pressure are the drain covers which can then be seen atop a column of water. So unless those same covers are sealed tight on Beach Rd one can assume a similar performance there.

• 1 month later...