All protesting students freed

Lite Beer

All protesting students freed

23-5-2558-12-17-58-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Bangkok and Khon Kaen police have freed more than 40 students they detained for holding activities opposing the military junta yesterday as the military coup entered the first anniversary.

Seven students of Khon Kaen university in Khon Kaen were freed Saturday morning on police bail of 7,500 baht worth of asset each.

They were arrested and detained for questioning after they gathered at the Democracy Monument located near the City Shrine in Khon Kaen, holding placards opposing the 2014 military coup.

Police charged the students who called themselves Dao Din Group of violating Section 44 of the interim charter issued by the National Council for Peace and Order banning the political assembly of more than five persons.

Khon Kaen police chief said the student protesters belong to the same group that had previously opposed to the military coup.

In Bangkok, Pathumwan police also freed all the 37 students who were detained after holding activities to protest the military junta Friday near Pathumwan intersection.

But before they were freed, all were required by the police to have their ID cards photocopied and signed agreement in the copies that they will stop further protest movements.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/all-protesting-students-freed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-23

>>Police charged the students who called themselves Dao Din Group of violating Section 44 of the interim charter issued by the National Council for Peace and Order banning the political assembly of more than five persons.<< Quote

And not charged with protesting against the coup?? Sure!!

Since they were only 7, only 2 can be charged with the serious crime "political assembly of more than 5 persons"?

More Happiness to the people..............

To the students: Keep up the good work!!thumbsup.gif

I stand for their right to peacefully protest, activity that was protected by the 2007 charter. I don't think there are any Thai university students that have thought out a reasonable and workable alternative to the stalemate that has gone on for the last 15 years. Their message is pretty worthless until they learn some creative thinking skills and are willing to express their solutions in a public forum where they can be subject to an informed debate.

Congratulations , you have done yourself no disservice in standing up for the basic Democratic principal , the right to protest and to speak out against totalitarian type governments , the Junta had no choice really in freeing you guy's as it might have become a most interesting time in Thailand if they hadn't , well done in keeping the democracy flag flying. coffee1.gif

I stand for their right to peacefully protest, activity that was protected by the 2007 charter. I don't think there are any Thai university students that have thought out a reasonable and workable alternative to the stalemate that has gone on for the last 15 years. Their message is pretty worthless until they learn some creative thinking skills and are willing to express their solutions in a public forum where they can be subject to an informed debate.

So easy sitting behind your keyboard under cover of a username to criticize people, who at least are trying to make a difference!!

As for expressing their solutions in a public forum, maybe you haven't realized that freedom of speech in Thailand is non existent.

Finally. Please share with us, zaphod reborn's (the experienced old hand) workable alternative to the present stalemate...................coffee1.gif

It would be very informative to know the academic achievements of these students.

How is that relevant?

You don't need a PhD to have the RIGHT to freedom of expression.

You don't need to be physically fit, employed, nor from the "right" family to have the RIGHT to freedom of expression.

"students freed"

Such a clever play on words.

Seven students of Khon Kaen university were released on BAIL. Charges have not been dropped. They have not been set free. No doubt a condition of bail is they do not further protest and had to sign a satement to that effect.

So much for the roadmap to democracy! The roadmap is upside down with the north area pointing south.

My Thai wife was surprised when I told her today that there where demonstrations in BKK yesterday, and I saw this only on international media. Seems the Thai New that she watches did not have anything on this? Or is there any info saying otherwise? self-censorship again?

It would be very informative to know the academic achievements of these students.

How is that relevant?

You don't need to be physically fit, employed, nor from the "right" family to have the RIGHT to freedom of expression.

Want to know if they have undertaken their main responsibility seriously before engaging in extra curricular activities.

How is that relevant?

Want to know if they have undertaken their main responsibility seriously before engaging in extra curricular activities.

You could try Googling " Have the Thai students undertaken their main responsibility seriously before engaging in extra curricular activities?"

If that doesn't turn anything up you could telephone the institutions concerned and try to arrange some appointments with their tutors and course leaders.

They could give you the information that you crave.

They'll probably tell you to <deleted!> off, but it's worth a try. Isn't it?

while its everyones right to protest I find most of these students that do so a total joke. These are the same ones that dress up as hitler as well as many superheroes/cartoon characters to show everyone how smart they are at uni, we have also seen the 7/100 results from one uni as well in here and these students are trying to claim they are intelligent/smart enough to organize these rallies on their own without the help of someone with ulterior motives. At least the student protests over seas have students that are adult enough and smart enough to be able to explain what it is they are protesting over and the factual reasons why, this lot dont have a clue. Maturity would be a big bonus for them so they didnt come off like kids that didnt get their way

while its everyones right to protest I find most of these students that do so a total joke. These are the same ones that dress up as hitler as well as many superheroes/cartoon characters to show everyone how smart they are at uni, we have also seen the 7/100 results from one uni as well in here and these students are trying to claim they are intelligent/smart enough to organize these rallies on their own without the help of someone with ulterior motives. At least the student protests over seas have students that are adult enough and smart enough to be able to explain what it is they are protesting over and the factual reasons why, this lot dont have a clue. Maturity would be a big bonus for them so they didnt come off like kids that didnt get their way

Mr Sunshine wai2.gif

You don't need to hold a PhD or to be perfect in English (how is your Thai?) to be serious about protesting against the lack of civil liberties here!!

Unlike most other people, at least those kids have the guts to oppose an oppressive regime!!

They are not the same ones and anyway what's wrong with liking Hitler - not PC? He had some very good policies in his early reign.

How on earth do you think you know more about the situation than Thai students?

You'll be suggesting that Prayudh is doing a good job next

Everyone has he RIGHT to protest, this is terrible

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid601325122001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEabvr4~,Wtd2HT-p_Vh4qBcIZDrvZlvNCU8nxccG&bctid=4251464448001

Mr Sunshine wai2.gif

You don't need to hold a PhD or to be perfect in English (how is your Thai?) to be serious about protesting against the lack of civil liberties here!!

Unlike most other people, at least those kids have the guts to oppose an oppressive regime!!

Dear mum,

I wrote to tell you with regret that I failed my major again. Will have to study through another year. Please send more money.

By the way, did you see me on TV? I went to protest with my friends. Was great fun. Yes, I know I have been spending too much time with the gang instead of studying. But we protested together against a lack of civil liberty. And we would spend more time planning for the next protest. Have to go now.

Dear son,

Please study hard and graduate or the family would need to sell our last plot of farm land to pay for another year of your study...

students..students...some...some...cannot follow simple directions in their own language.... leave in the prison..give them a taste of the real world...expose them to the general prison population..

students..students...some...some...cannot follow simple directions in their own language.... leave in the prison..give them a taste of the real world...expose them to the general prison population..

For what crime? Being a student is still legal, I believe.

Isn't TVF a wonderful place to post, where old farangs constantly whine about everything that is Thai, but still chose to live here the vast majority of their lives ?

It doesn't take a lifetime of living here to see that most of the time, many farangs are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Students the world over have always complained and protested over serious issues, and niff naff and trivia, I really wonder how many who post here critical of Thai students remember their Uni days, what was it like back in the 60's and 70's when "flower power, free love and communism" were all the rage ?

Mr Sunshine wai2.gif

no you dont but it does help when you are capable of rational thinking and actually know what you are talking about. When we see these students that cant even pass exams and need to have their marks adjusted so they dont lose face protesting it comes off as a total joke as they are simply not capable of individual thoughts let alone being able to articulate what they are complaining about. Oppressive regime, where were they when the reds/ptp were killing/blowing up children and cheering about it before the army stepped in. at least now the violence & killings have stopped. Might not be perfect and upset all the thaksin/red apologists but the ptp graft has been stopped and we are at last seeing corrupt practices/land encroachment etc being slowly attacked, the corrupt police being removed, all the things the ptp refused to do and these "students " ignored.

The land encroachment issue is not a single colour, but greed on many's politicians and others in influential poisitions.

Why focus on one area, as in Korat, and not hit all the "tourist" areas such as the beaches that have had encroachment issues too?

Simple seajae mate, the areas being reclaimed now, which IS A GOOD THING, will not impact "Tourism", there will be no actions on Koh Samui, or Koh Tao, or any other significant tourist destination for fear of driving down tourism.

Do you think that's not a form of graft/corruption in itself? Hit one place, but ignore the others as it's going to effect the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ coming in?

Land encroachment is a serious crime, but stop being selective about it, favour nobody, but the realistic view is that certain people have a LOT to lose, and it's not just face!! ;)

Isn't TVF a wonderful place to post, where old farangs constantly whine about everything that is Thai, but still chose to live here the vast majority of their lives ?

It doesn't take a lifetime of living here to see that most of the time, many farangs are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Students the world over have always complained and protested over serious issues, and niff naff and trivia, I really wonder how many who post here critical of Thai students remember their Uni days, what was it like back in the 60's and 70's when "flower power, free love and communism" were all the rage ?

thing is those protesters actually were capable of rational thoughts and knew exactly what they were protesting about, improving the lives of others. The problem with most of this lot is they have no idea at all, they are too juvenile to actually understand what is happening and are being urged on by those trying to cause friction. If they actually came out with facts and not random waffling to promote their reasoning they might sound genuine but they are not capable of it. Protesting is a good thing when you have all the right reasoning behind it, this lot dont have a clue why they are even doing it, if they were actually trying to improve the lives of other thais it would be even better but they are simply trying to big note themselves.

thing is those protesters actually were capable of rational thoughts and knew exactly what they were protesting about, improving the lives of others. The problem with most of this lot is they have no idea at all, they are too juvenile to actually understand what is happening and are being urged on by those trying to cause friction. If they actually came out with facts and not random waffling to promote their reasoning they might sound genuine but they are not capable of it. Protesting is a good thing when you have all the right reasoning behind it, this lot dont have a clue why they are even doing it, if they were actually trying to improve the lives of other thais it would be even better but they are simply trying to big note themselves.

how do you know all that? mind reader? interviewed them? or just making it up???

The land encroachment issue is not a single colour, but greed on many's politicians and others in influential poisitions.

Why focus on one area, as in Korat, and not hit all the "tourist" areas such as the beaches that have had encroachment issues too?

Simple seajae mate, the areas being reclaimed now, which IS A GOOD THING, will not impact "Tourism", there will be no actions on Koh Samui, or Koh Tao, or any other significant tourist destination for fear of driving down tourism.

Do you think that's not a form of graft/corruption in itself? Hit one place, but ignore the others as it's going to effect the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ coming in?

Land encroachment is a serious crime, but stop being selective about it, favour nobody, but the realistic view is that certain people have a LOT to lose, and it's not just face!! wink.png

the thing is they have actually started doing something about it, it is slow but it is also happening something that was not even looking like happening under the ptp. As I said, might not be perfect but it is getting there, lets see what happens in the next 12 months, what I like is the fact the reds and other trouble makers have been put out of business so that the majority of thais can now do as they want without fear of retribution from any of them. I think most thais prefer this to what was happening before the army stepped in, strangely enough these "students" were silent during all the crap before they did too, so much for standing up for their rights back then

we were all gobby little shits when we were younger, arguing for the sake of it, some of us still do it today, when you have a group that stands by each other, it's the beginning of solidarity.

Thousands of protests started all over the world through history, mainly because one small group voiced their opinions, and it started groundswell.

Mahatma Ghandi started off with similar protests of civil disobedience ;)

we were all gobby little shits when we were younger, arguing for the sake of it, some of us still do it today, when you have a group that stands by each other, it's the beginning of solidarity.

Thousands of protests started all over the world through history, mainly because one small group voiced their opinions, and it started groundswell.

Mahatma Ghandi started off with similar protests of civil disobedience ;)

Mate, if Gandhi was around today, this lot would be calling for him to be lynched...

Mahatma Ghandi started off with similar protests of civil disobedience wink.png

you have hit the nail on the head but you are talking about students that could think for themselves and not juvenile ones, they need to have some rational thinking. MG was a brilliant person with a brain not some jumped up mentally deficient 20 something uni student that cant even pass exams or in many cases even sit for them. When we see these students having to pass the degrees they get due entirely to their own knowledge and not through face saving measures or wealth/family importance they might be taken seriously