OPINION: Another day in 'Paradise' as Phuket traffic accident tally continues to surge

Lite Beer

OPINION: Another day in 'Paradise' as Phuket traffic accident tally continues to surge

1432439512_1-org.jpg

Even rescue ambulances are not immune to the danger on our roads.

PHUKET: More people continue to be killed on Phuket's dangerous roads. Something needs to be done.

Just over the last week, there have been two fatal accidents on the road involving foreigners.

On May 16, a Finnish man was killed instantly when a Honda CRV smashed into him while he was crossing a road in Rawai.

Witnesses said the victim had visited a friend in the area and when he ran across the road a car came at a high speed from Chalong circle, heading towards Karon, and slammed into him.

Similarly just two days later (May 18) a Swiss expat was killed in a car crash in the early hours when he crashed his pick-up truck into a water truck on Patak Hill in Karon.

Both incidents (and many others involving Thais, such as this one of an old lady run over) raise the all important questions about just how safe our roads are and what should be done to prevent so many fatalities and accidents on the road.

Thailand is renowned for its dangerous roads, and has consistently been ranked in the top five for having the highest number of fatalities (per capita) on the road in the world.

There are a number of problems that contribute to the high number of road accidents in Thailand: namely, poor roads and traffic engineering, the motorists themselves, and a lack of traffic law enforcement.

There have been a few high-profile cases, which also include a number of cyclists being bumped on the road. In February, a Chilean cross-continental cyclist who planned to complete a world record this year was killed when he was hit by a pickup truck in Northeastern Thailand.

In addition, two years ago, two world-famous British cyclists died after being struck by a pick-up truck in a province east of Bangkok. But these are just two fatal examples of the many accidents that happen on Thailand’s roads every day.

Environment is certainly one factor which could change the motorists’ behaviour, however.

See related, the Rash Realities of Phuket Roads opinion and statistics.

If we had more of a police presence on the roads, perhaps people would start to follow the rules and, eventually, their bad driving habits will change.

If firmer punishments are put in place, then perhaps motorists’ will think twice about driving dangerously.

Motorcyclists can also help the situation, perhaps if they protect themselves by choosing to wear a helmet, then maybe some lives will be saved, and not lost.

Also, be sure to vote in our poll about improving Phuket's traffic, click here.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-another-day-in-paradise-as-phuket-traffic-accident-tally-continues-to-surge-52453.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-24

Check all drivers for drugs and alcohol. First violation confiscate the driving licence. Second violation confiscate the car and give it free to Thai Red Cross.

Start the checks with all taxi driver, mini bus driver and bus driver. Do this checks for 2 month everyday and i'm sure we will have 50% less fatalities and 80% less maniacs on the road.

Excellent post, and totally agree 100 percent, but please it's not just Phuket... It's Thailand in general.....

I have travelled north to South, and for me there is no difference, just plain dangerous and thoughtless.

Safety of any issue is not a concern to Thai people, I see it everyday, thinks that shock Westerners , Thais don't blink an eyelid....

The last few days, Kudos to the Police , as each time I have been out they have been stopping and checking people's Credentials etc etc...

It's a start...

But listen, look around some Farangs are just as bad, just yesterday I viewed about three separate family's on Scooters, with a child no,helmet on none of them ????

How stupid is that....

Rant over...

The roads in Thailand are not dangerous.

Danger is due to unqualified and reckless driving.

Unqualified? Yes, from the buying and selling of driving licenses.

One of Taksin's little known and rare successes was a complete moratorium on the bribing of officials at the DVL on Phuket. No amount of money will buy you a licence. I know. I tried laugh.png

Excellent post, and totally agree 100 percent, but please it's not just Phuket... It's Thailand in general.....

I have travelled north to South, and for me there is no difference, just plain dangerous and thoughtless.

Safety of any issue is not a concern to Thai people, I see it everyday, thinks that shock Westerners , Thais don't blink an eyelid....

The last few days, Kudos to the Police , as each time I have been out they have been stopping and checking people's Credentials etc etc...

It's a start...

But listen, look around some Farangs are just as bad, just yesterday I viewed about three separate family's on Scooters, with a child no,helmet on none of them ????

How stupid is that....

Rant over...

Same in Laos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lwQmtpkK8

and Bali http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k4689803-Horrible_Traffic_Accident_Figures_for_Bali-Bali.html

and Cambodia https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voacambodia.com%2Fcontent%2Ftraffics-death-toll-rising-on-cambodian-roads%2F1819028.html&ei=ZJVhVaPdG9PluQT9soCABg&usg=AFQjCNHCpn_YIlurLqhH_up9jVux4G_MpQ&sig2=H1jfU8fXgNIIuEZXIweDtg&bvm=bv.93990622,d.c2E

and and, it's an Asian thing.

One of Taksin's little known and rare successes was a complete moratorium on the bribing of officials at the DVL on Phuket. No amount of money will buy you a licence. I know. I tried laugh.png

There are DVLs in the other 76 provinces that issue driving licenses that can be used nationwide.

only one thing lazy corrupt police..only when something happens do they rush...to the scene...to get there piccy taken..blaming the roads is like the wrong type of leaf on the tracks in the uk..

In all my years I have never once seen the police chase & apprehend a dangerous driver. I was once pulled over by the highway police for going over the solid yellow line on the bypass road when it was just 2 lanes. I actually had a clear view ahead & so they just have me a warning.

If we had more of a police presence on the roads

You know the amount of police presence on the road is trivial when you can pass them at high speed in low-mid speed (by common sense) streets, run the 2-4s red light right infront of them preferrably on the biggest intersection around, drive the opposite way without a worry and....police just participates in all of those activities too.

And why more police presence?! That will just end up in more of them dudes getting on intersections and messing up flowing traffic that a traffic light was doing just fine before they started waving nonesense in all directions!

The only worry police pose are their checkups for scooters only, helm and license....which, by no surprise, often results in opposite traffic drivers...

Why do I have to be so passionate about traffic, it's like the only things I comment on for a while :(

A lot of it has to do with Thai culture and religion and the resulting fatalism.

If you are meant to die, you will. If not, you won't.

Having the car blessed by monks and hanging amulets from the rear-view mirror is a manifestation of this.

Thai society is also quite rigid. When two Thai strangers meet, the first thing they do is establish each other's status.

A car, or motorbike affords anonymity whereby frustrations in general can be expressed.

These are just two factors. Selfishness is another.

It's a start...

How stupid is that....

Rant over...

Same in Laos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lwQmtpkK8

and Bali http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k4689803-Horrible_Traffic_Accident_Figures_for_Bali-Bali.html

and Cambodia https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voacambodia.com%2Fcontent%2Ftraffics-death-toll-rising-on-cambodian-roads%2F1819028.html&ei=ZJVhVaPdG9PluQT9soCABg&usg=AFQjCNHCpn_YIlurLqhH_up9jVux4G_MpQ&sig2=H1jfU8fXgNIIuEZXIweDtg&bvm=bv.93990622,d.c2E

and and, it's an Asian thing.

Have you been to Africa?

I think it's a developing nation thing. Also in our so called civilised countries if the authorities aren't there to watch us on the roads our behaviour will degenerate overnight. Although our roads are maintained and generally well designed.

"PHUKET: More people continue to be killed on Phuket's dangerous roads. Something needs to be done."

Are the BiB really that callous and above scrutiny? EVERYONE knows what the "Something" is that needs to be done, the BiB need to do their job. When will SOME kind of hammer actually fall on these guys? How much more blood needs to be spilled, how much longer can they ignore the obvious?

Heavy sigh . . . Thailand, what's happening to you?

Yes they are. From poor maintenance to unsafe design, they don't meet any internationally recognized standards.

I can't imagine U-Turns being allowed in europe. The answer to these could be more roundabouts but Thais don't understand them.

Pathetically poor driving standards is the main reason why Thailand tops having the most dangerous roads in the world.

I'm amazed that the authorities have not brought in measures to address the issue, or is life that cheap ?

It's only cheap if you are a Thai taking a life. If you are a farang it is a lot more expensive.

"Danger is due to unqualified and reckless driving." - and intoxication, particularly on Phuket.

"Tuk-tuk taxi. Tuk-tuk taxi."

Phuket continues to attract every day calamities there is always something happening now its a case of dangerous roads its not the roads its the people who use them who are dangerous and they should be taken off the road when will the authorities wake up and realise something has to be done asap like today .

A lot of it has to do with Thai culture and religion and the resulting fatalism.

If you are meant to die, you will. If not, you won't.

Having the car blessed by monks and hanging amulets from the rear-view mirror is a manifestation of this.

Thai society is also quite rigid. When two Thai strangers meet, the first thing they do is establish each other's status.

A car, or motorbike affords anonymity whereby frustrations in general can be expressed.

These are just two factors. Selfishness is another.

Having the car blessed by monks - Check!

hanging amulets from the rear-view mirror - Check!

Selfishness - Check!

smile.png