High household debt takes the fizz out of Thai beer market

webfact

Topics on alcohol always attract a lot of responses. My observations are that a large number of Thais do not drink alcohol. The minority that do drink to excess.

Astute observation biggrin.png I offered my handyman a glass of Absolut expecting him to refuse it (as most do) but he downed it in one, refusing a mixer, then asked for another. Next thing he was in my freezer helping himself to a third. Pissed as a newt!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topics on alcohol always attract a lot of responses. My observations are that a large number of Thais do not drink alcohol. The minority that do drink to excess.

Astute observation biggrin.png I offered my handyman a glass of Absolut expecting him to refuse it (as most do) but he downed it in one, refusing a mixer, then asked for another. Next thing he was in my freezer helping himself to a third. Pissed as a newt!

Absolut? Where can I get some?

If people can not afford beer they will drink more Thai whiskey. Whiskey much cheaper and more dangerous when driving. Lower beer prices and have less drunk drivers!

And I thought drink driving was about the amount of alcohol consumed. Nice to know it is more to do with how much the alcohol costs.

Was in the Netherlands last week, also a country with high "fun" taxes, still the price of a case of beer, 24 bottles is 10 Euro, about 360 Baht, so 15 Baht per bottle.

Could it be that the price of Thai (lower quality) beer is a bit to high?

the brew shysters are counting on a poor education , and low information thais to keep their beer prices artificially high . after all if you do not read , you do not understand that you are being ripped off . Thailand soap opera's can only teach you how to grit teeth , scream and sleep with fathers 3 rd wife .

I wonder what kind of preservatives they put in Thai beer? because it seems the beer can be kept forever in 36+ degrees Celsius temperatures?

And it doesn't go flat overnight in the fridge.

I have a couple of cans that have been sitting in the back of the fridge for exactly a year. Anyone want to come round and try them? smile.png

Not if you live in Samui/Pattaya or Phuket

As for Singha they should look at their pricing. They eliminated the Large bottle and now only have the small size and medium size bottle. At the same time of eliminating the large bottle they raised the price of the medium bottle more than the large one. More like greed.

that is the result of the free " by mafia companies " leaded market !

No competition - this is the sucess of the corrupt GVTs thai had in the past !!

If a bar in Cambodia can sell a 330 ml/12oz pint of local beer for 15-30 baht and both brewer and bar make money, then Thai brewers are making fortunes.

Cost of production or tax for retail price? In a previous thread someone gave the impression that a beer in the West cost B 15. In UK I would suspect the tax on a small beer was more than B 15. Too expensive? Don't drink. I like a tipple now and again but Johnny Blue is out of my budget.

If a bar in Cambodia can sell a 330 ml/12oz pint of local beer for 15-30 baht and both brewer and bar make money, then Thai brewers are making fortunes.

On a bit of a looser if you think 330 ml or 12oz is a pint.

I only drink over priced ( over taxed ) Youngs london Gold Youngs special London Wells Bomardier Wells Bombardier Burning gold and Oettinger Black Beer But then again I do not mind spending more to get what I likewhistling.gifclap2.gif

I only drink over priced ( over taxed ) Youngs london Gold Youngs special London Wells Bomardier Wells Bombardier Burning gold and Oettinger Black Beer But then again I do not mind spending more to get what I likewhistling.gifclap2.gif

Wish I had the money. Zero offence. Good for you.

We have no household debt, maybe beer market not doing so good because i do not drink anymore.

I joined that club to. They just got toooo greedy with bumping up prices. I find the article hard to understand one minute they say household debt takes the fizz out of the beer market and further down they say profits are up. Is this guy related to the PM?

The beer market here isn't great due to regulations. It would be wonderful to have micro brews like most other countries have. Or at least cheaper beer! smile.png

Like the taxi mafia the big boys would not allow it. Forget free enterprise. You cannot even buy a brew your own kit here.

The beer market here isn't great due to regulations. It would be wonderful to have micro brews like most other countries have. Or at least cheaper beer! smile.png

Like the taxi mafia the big boys would not allow it. Forget free enterprise. You cannot even buy a brew your own kit here.

Yes, no home brew kits. Micro brewers are taking off in BKK. F opinions about Mafia. Interesting times for serious beer drinkers.

I think to recall that Hopf brewhouse in Pattaya is a micro brewery, but I don't think they are any cheaper than what is available elsewhere.

Exactly, beer brewing is reserved for the privileged in Thai society. Another benefit for the elite. When outside of Thailand, I make a point of NOT drinking Thai beer. These people are pathetically lazy as well. China in dominated by Budweiser . In the land of Ching Dao, all you can get is Bud. Thai beer only seems common in Cambodia and Singapore where you have better choices. No Thai brand can stand up to Beer Lao. Beer Lao I hear is cheaper in Taiwan than in Thailand. The Thai beer Titans are weenies outside of protectionist Thailand

Budweiser popular in China? Yeah gad when I lived in Canada and went camping in the USA I always stopped at the border to load up on Labatts Blue. When sitting around the campfire the Yanks noticed I had Labatts Blue and offered 2 Buds for 1 Blue. I of course said NO!! I was to weiser to drink Bud

Exactly, beer brewing is reserved for the privileged in Thai society. Another benefit for the elite. When outside of Thailand, I make a point of NOT drinking Thai beer. These people are pathetically lazy as well. China in dominated by Budweiser . In the land of Ching Dao, all you can get is Bud. Thai beer only seems common in Cambodia and Singapore where you have better choices. No Thai brand can stand up to Beer Lao. Beer Lao I hear is cheaper in Taiwan than in Thailand. The Thai beer Titans are weenies outside of protectionist Thailand

Budweiser popular in China? Yeah gad when I lived in Canada and went camping in the USA I always stopped at the border to load up on Labatts Blue. When sitting around the campfire the Yanks noticed I had Labatts Blue and offered 2 Buds for 1 Blue. I of course said NO!! I was to weiser to drink Bud

Bud. King of beers.

There is no reason I can think of for Thai beer being prized the same as European beer.

I would like to know which percentage of total sales is from foreigners.

At parties whiskey is served plentyful, no beer however.

"Surge by only"? Who writes this. Hardly a surge. It looks as though the outrage brigade with there emotive language exsist in Thailand like they do in the West. Poor journalism.

Also every time a crime/accident is reported, the policeman in charge always " rushes" to the scene - no wonder there are so many accidents!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/23/article-1280704-09A3994C000005DC-211_468x286.jpg

Imported premium beer in Asda in the UK works out at approx 16 baht a bottle

330 or pints? Did a ferry booze trip once, customs were all over it on the way back. Cheap beer. UK tax on beer has gone up so much over the years that I doubt you can get an unsubsidized pint too cheap. Europe different story.

I wonder what kind of preservatives they put in Thai beer? because it seems the beer can be kept forever in 36+ degrees Celsius temperatures?

Preservatives and what else? Anyone know? None of this shit can be called 'beer'. I was going to take a bottle of Singha back to the UK to have it analysed, but the cost of such turned out to be prohibitive.

I believe that they used to put formalin in Singha as preservative, but not allowed in EU, hence difference in flavour of Singha overseas.

Anyone know if they still use it?

Preservatives and what else? Anyone know? None of this shit can be called 'beer'. I was going to take a bottle of Singha back to the UK to have it analysed, but the cost of such turned out to be prohibitive.

I believe that they used to put formalin in Singha as preservative, but not allowed in EU, hence difference in flavour of Singha overseas.

Anyone know if they still use it?

Formulin in beer is a wife's tale.