Monthly revenue from YouTube, taxes and work.

Hello.

I was searching allot and I cannot find anywhere information for YouTube income.

Question is, as Google transfer money monthly to Thai bank, is it needed to pay taxes and if yes, how to pay taxes?

And another question is do foreigner need business visa and work permit for it.

If answer is yes then is better for foreigner to get money in home country and transfer money to Thailand.

I'm still confused because YouTube generating money daily.

Thanks.

Theres lots of information out there on youtube earnings.

From the banks or taxmans POV whats the difference in transferring direct from youtube or from your foreign bank?

Both these would show as an international money transfer.

It sounds like you are new at this. You are a looooong way from earning decent money. Forget about the money and just focus on creating good content.

Difference is that if you're transferring from your own foreign account, you may not have 'earned' the income in that tax year - it could be personal savings earned in prior years. If you are being paid directly from youtube to Thailand, that is the point at which it is earned, and remittance notes will show a business as the source.

Thai taxes income remitted to Thailand in the year it is earned, and therefore the income described is subject to Thai income tax. Quite possible that your home country also taxes income remitted there regardless of whether you are non resident.

Best solution is, if you're earning anything decent, to open an offshore account in a country that does not tax non resident income (like Singapore) and get paid there.

I'd keep that quiet.

Why? I just asking a question. Is that against the law?

Theres lots of information out there on youtube earnings.

From the banks or taxmans POV whats the difference in transferring direct from youtube or from your foreign bank?

Both these would show as an international money transfer.

It sounds like you are new at this. You are a looooong way from earning decent money. Forget about the money and just focus on creating good content.

I am new in this but, I have not said anything about my earnings. I'm asking general question for allot of people that doing this.

Difference is that if you're transferring from your own foreign account, you may not have 'earned' the income in that tax year - it could be personal savings earned in prior years. If you are being paid directly from youtube to Thailand, that is the point at which it is earned, and remittance notes will show a business as the source.

Thai taxes income remitted to Thailand in the year it is earned, and therefore the income described is subject to Thai income tax. Quite possible that your home country also taxes income remitted there regardless of whether you are non resident.

Best solution is, if you're earning anything decent, to open an offshore account in a country that does not tax non resident income (like Singapore) and get paid there.

Thank you for your answer.

^^Why? I just asking a question. Is that against the law?

It is a gray area where many Thai Visa posters disagree about needing a work permit which you can't get as a one man operation.

It most likely depends on the mindset of an immigration officer and whether you're well liked by neighbours, one of whom might want you tossed.

It is a gray area where many Thai Visa posters disagree about needing a work permit which you can't get as a one man operation.

It most likely depends on the mindset of an immigration officer and whether you're well liked by neighbours, one of whom might want you tossed.

Why would you tell your neighbour what you are doing on your Computer ??

I don't think the law is grey. If you work in Thailand as a foreigner and you generate an income, a) you need a work permit and B) you would have to pay tax on that income according to the Thai tax schedule. As an individual the first 150k are exempt from tax.

But in reality most small businesses don't pay tax and as people pointed out, if you operate as a one man business, you cannot obtain a work permit.

So personally if I'd be in your situation I'd follow what rwdrwdrwd pointed out to sort out the tax side of things.

I'm suggesting that if your neighbor doesn't like you, hears gossip about the online work, you could be reported.

There is always gossip.

I don't think the law is grey. If you work in Thailand as a foreigner and you generate an income, a) you need a work permit and cool.png you would have to pay tax on that income according to the Thai tax schedule. As an individual the first 150k are exempt from tax.

But in reality most small businesses don't pay tax and as people pointed out, if you operate as a one man business, you cannot obtain a work permit.

So personally if I'd be in your situation I'd follow what rwdrwdrwd pointed out to sort out the tax side of things.

Some officials have said conflicting things about on-line work.

You can't get a work permit for such work, yet it generates money, whether abroad or in Thailand.

It's kind of confusing but technically working without a permit.

I don't think the law is grey. If you work in Thailand as a foreigner and you generate an income, a) you need a work permit and cool.png you would have to pay tax on that income according to the Thai tax schedule. As an individual the first 150k are exempt from tax.

You can't get a work permit for such work, yet it generates money, whether abroad or in Thailand.

This is exactly why I'm confused. Just go to Pattaya and go to local post office. You can see allot of ... hm... people that send items across the world :)

About Google. For example, you get paid from ads on your website. This is income and it is online work.

Now, this is money generated every day, so this means where ever you go, you "working" every day.

If I go on traveling to some country I "work" in that country... no?

If your physically making the vids in thailand with your camera or phone and generating income from it your in violation.

If your just working on your computer your ok.

Maybe those officials didn't know the law very well. The law is clear, you would loose any case if you would challenge it in court. It won't help in court that you heard or read somewhere that some official said it might actually not be illegal, etc...

It's a question of enforcement. If you work at home online, it is highly unlikely that you get caught. And if your work is related to business outside of Thailand, you won't be in the focus of the law enforcers.

The only thing I would suggest to direct the youtube/google payments to an offshore account.

The law isn't clear at all, the Alien Labor Act says nothing about work done in the cloud not employed by a Thai entity, not generating income in Baht, that could be done remotely etc. In fact if you read it, it states over and over again having a 'Thai employer', being paid in THB and making the appropriate employment deductions, etc etc.

There's never been a court case or a conviction, in decades since the advent of the internet, and likely never will be because it's near-impossible to enforce, and there is no incentive to do so (no Thai jobs are being affected, it's foreign money being transferred into Thailand, etc.). Where is the clarity in the act's definition of working using the word 'working', the very word it is supposed to define.

Thai authorities have never bothered to clarify it, which would be easily done if they see it as an issue, want taxes paid on it, etc but no word from them. There are dozens of threads debating this to no avail. The only place it's 'clear' is in the opinions of the Thaivisa posters on one side of that debate.

Also once a Youtube video is put up the ad revenue is passive from that point forward, no 'work' needs to be done. So what if I upload a thousand videos in the UK then come to Thailand for a day? I need to take down the video before I'm in Thai airspace? How about if I live here for years? Who is going to go to the trouble of verifying where and when I uploaded the videos? Since if it's passive, it's no different to living off rental income from properties back home.

What about renting out new properties remotely while physically in Thailand? Organising it over the phone - you're generating new income while here, no different to tinkering with a website based on UK servers, yet none of the ThaiVisa crowd would say that landlord is 'illegally working in Thailand'.

I agree though just keep quiet about your business.

Re: Taxes just don't remit money to a Thai bank account within the year it's earned, and you're technically fine, if you wanted to do things by the book.

The law isn't clear at all, the Alien Labor Act says nothing about work done in the cloud not employed by a Thai entity, not generating income in Baht, that could be done remotely etc. In fact if you read it, it states over and over again having a 'Thai employer', being paid in THB and making the appropriate employment deductions, etc etc.

There's never been a court case or a conviction, in decades since the advent of the internet, and likely never will be because it's near-impossible to enforce, and there is no incentive to do so (no Thai jobs are being affected, it's foreign money being transferred into Thailand, etc.). Where is the clarity in the act's definition of working using the word 'working', the very word it is supposed to define.

Thai authorities have never bothered to clarify it, which would be easily done if they see it as an issue, want taxes paid on it, etc but no word from them. There are dozens of threads debating this to no avail. The only place it's 'clear' is in the opinions of the Thaivisa posters on one side of that debate.

Also once a Youtube video is put up the ad revenue is passive from that point forward, no 'work' needs to be done. So what if I upload a thousand videos in the UK then come to Thailand for a day? I need to take down the video before I'm in Thai airspace? How about if I live here for years? Who is going to go to the trouble of verifying where and when I uploaded the videos? Since if it's passive, it's no different to living off rental income from properties back home.

What about renting out new properties remotely while physically in Thailand? Organising it over the phone - you're generating new income while here, no different to tinkering with a website based on UK servers, yet none of the ThaiVisa crowd would say that landlord is 'illegally working in Thailand'.

I agree though just keep quiet about your business.

Re: Taxes just don't remit money to a Thai bank account within the year it's earned, and you're technically fine, if you wanted to do things by the book.

It pains me to admit it, but this jspill post is one of the best I have read on ThaiVisa. Considered with a respectful tone. Please do not misunderstand me, as I am not being sarcastic—thanks jspill! smile.png

I'm suggesting that if your neighbor doesn't like you, hears gossip about the online work, you could be reported.

There is always gossip.

No there isn't......

Why on earth would a neighbour even if he doesn't like you on whim contact immigration and claim "I think that chaps working " !!

Real life is not like that. I go on my Spreads Accounts wherever I am in the World but I dont tell the next guy in a bar what I do and it would never come up in conversation, as if anyone ever did ask me what I do, I say retired and thats the end of the conversation

The laws as written really never considered or were aware of online internet types of workings. However, there always have been people that have lived and "worked" abroad, without dealing in Thai Baht or hiring any locals, or producing anything that is sold or shipped in country. I refer to writers and authors. Many people write books or articles and submit them to publishers, magazines, or journals all over the world. Some of them of course sit in Thailand while creating these things. Many get royalties, percentages based on readership, etc. To me that would fall in the same general area as the current on-line or internet bloggers, youtubers, etc. They are sitting in Thailand submitting articles, updating their blogs, etc.

There is always gossip.

No there isn't......

Why on earth would a neighbour even if he doesn't like you on whim contact immigration and claim "I think that chaps working " !!

Real life is not like that. I go on my Spreads Accounts wherever I am in the World but I dont tell the next guy in a bar what I do and it would never come up in conversation, as if anyone ever did ask me what I do, I say retired and thats the end of the conversation

Of course gossip happens.

I don't know why anyone would rat a neighbor, but people are weird and real life can be like that.

You don't need to tell anyone what you do . But if you have a circle of friends with wives and girlfriends, they'll know someone who knows the neighbour's cousin or something and it's around.

Chances are slim but I think you'd be surprised by how much people know things unless you are a complete recluse.

Unless you're a YouTube super star raking in thousands a month...why complicate matters by asking about taxes? No good deed goes unpunished. Just keep a low profile about your 'business' and as others have said, there is always someone watching, can't be too careful, at the end of the day you are guest in the country. And if you have psycho neighbours, consider finding new digs.

I see that allot of people think that I do "work". So let me explain. I get pension so don't worry about me.

I'm asking because my sister love dancing and have YouTube account that generating some income.

If she come here what she need to do or not to do?

But I have the answer from "gk10002000" and "jspill" so thank you again for answering my question.

Regards.

Real life is not like that.

Actually real life here can indeed be like that.

A farang in my building who upset some Thais in the same building was targeted by false accusations of working without a permit and had midnight visits from people purporting to be from immigration. In the end quite a lot of money changed hands.

The smiles are only skin deep and underneath some Thais can be very vindictive and dishonest.

Archived