Another sign of low inflation in Thailand

Anthony5

I was at Big C extra this afternoon at 5pm, and noticed that all the already overpriced THAI ready made food had significantly increased in price. This is also not the first increase in the past 6 months.

What was 29 Baht on Friday is now 35 Baht, 15 Baht has become 17 and 32 Baht items are now 39 Baht, so a price rise between 15 and 21%.

It must be the rising import prices again that are the culprit........................Hey wait, in Thai food there are no imported ingredients.

I forgot to add, the shop was dead quiet at 5pm, no customers and also no music or advertising on the flat screens, as if someone had died.

Lot of empty shelves also all over the shop, and staff everywhere with those hand held scanners to scan price labels, so I think we may expect a price increase on several more products in the next few days.

Edited by Anthony5

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson learned today: 15-21% in 6 months is sign of low inflation.

I guess you were also not in the front line when they distributed the sense for sarcasm coffee1.gif

By the way the 15-21% was over the weekend, and it was not the only increase in the price of THAI ready made food in the past 6 months.

A couple of years ago I saw that all (and I mean all) the kebab vendors in Pattaya increased their prices overnight from 50B to 60B. That's 20%.

Was there any real justification for this? I dont think so. Personally I'm not too bothered as I wouldn't eat a kebab if I was paid to, but I just happened to notice it.

A couple of years ago I saw that all (and I mean all) the kebab vendors in Pattaya increased their prices overnight from 50B to 60B. That's 20%.

Was there any real justification for this? I dont think so. Personally I'm not too bothered as I wouldn't eat a kebab if I was paid to, but I just happened to notice it.

So that was a couple of years ago, and I think today the average price of a kebap is still 60 Baht.

I also never buy any ready made Thai food from Big C, if you even can call it food that they sell, except some times the fried vegetables and that is why I noticed it.

Fact is that they increase their prices for Thai produce frequently, the Masuman Kai which is now 49 Baht comes from 30 Baht when it was Carrefour and still had chicken inside, regardless of the fact that the Thai government insist that that there is almost no inflation in Thailand.

Gee there will be some whining when the baht buses go up to 15 baht for the basic fare. I can see the headlines now "50% outrageous price rise". it's not far off!

Totally different thing. Bathbuses were 5 Baht 20 years ago, when the gasoline was 9 Baht a liter. So far they have been a price increase once since then, while the gasoline has tripled and at certain times quadrupled in those 20 years.

I can understand that imported products raise in price because they are subject to many factors, like currency exchange price rises for the product abroad etc.However Big C, and other supermarkets, go even there over the top recently.

What I don't understand that in a country, where is claimed by the government that there is a very low inflation, the local food items increase in price frequently and with big margins.

why are oranges so expensive, went to foodland (yes I know not the cheapest but convenient) and bought 6 oranges at 240baht - that is 40 baht each 0,80 sterling for a single orange, where are you guys buying oranges

why are oranges so expensive, went to foodland (yes I know not the cheapest but convenient) and bought 6 oranges at 240baht - that is 40 baht each 0,80 sterling for a single orange, where are you guys buying oranges

Guessing you bought imported ones . Local ones I think something like 80 baht/kg

Guessing you bought imported ones . Local ones I think something like 80 baht/kg

Local ones at the vans parked up at the side of the road 3kg - 100Baht.

I am yet to taste anything grown in Thailand that is an orange, loads,of sweet tangerine, satsuma type things but no real Oranges, all to do with he climate apparently.

So that was a couple of years ago, and I think today the average price of a kebap is still 60 Baht.

I also never buy any ready made Thai food from Big C, if you even can call it food that they sell, except some times the fried vegetables and that is why I noticed it.

Fact is that they increase their prices for Thai produce frequently, the Masuman Kai which is now 49 Baht comes from 30 Baht when it was Carrefour and still had chicken inside, regardless of the fact that the Thai government insist that that there is almost no inflation in Thailand.

The governments all over the world are spouting this BS. They keep adjusting the basket of products that they measure inflation by till they get the price they want. My big pension increase was 1.7% for this year while the bankrupt governments and their greedy big business partners can help themselves to all the cheap money floating around in the system. Its all a con a racket to give the governments and their big business buddies cheap money and to keep the pensioners and the working poor in their place. The working poor with little or no annual increases. The rich CEO's are now getting 350% more than the average working man. Go back a few decades and it was 30 to 1. Their annual bonus increases make me want to vomit. What the H is the world coming to? We are definitely going back to a form of the old Feudal system and we are the serfs.

I am on strike I am not buying them. I can live for a whole day on 240 bahts.

well prices on raw foods have dropped

example chicken went from about 120b/kg down to 80b/kg

however gas for cooking went from 220 baht for 15 lt tank to 520 baht, so has LPG and NGV

may be and i do say may be, the price of prepared meals went up due to gas prices

however gas for cooking went from 220 baht for 15 lt tank to 520 baht, so has LPG and NGV

may be and i do say may be, the price of prepared meals went up due to gas prices

LPG, which is what is used for cooking here, went up with a multiple of 2.5 ?

LPG, which is what is used for cooking here, went up with a multiple of 2.5 ?

over 3 years appears to be so, as i said, 15lt tank for cooking, use to be 220, then 280 then 360, last month 480, 3 days ago 520,

I am yet to taste anything grown in Thailand that is an orange, loads,of sweet tangerine, satsuma type things but no real Oranges, all to do with he climate apparently.
I miss my Jaffa oranges grown in Africa. In Norway, one of the most expensive countries in the world, you can buy 1 kilo for 100 baht. Shoudnt be so hard to import them to Thailand and sell them for the same price. Edited by balo

• 3 weeks later...

Now say again that there is no inflation in Thailand.

Today at Big C Chicken leg WITH bone 210 Bht/kg

Chicken breast thigh WITH bone 160 Bht/kg

I doubt the chicken was imported from overseas.

attachicon.gif20150615_175924.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_175938.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180008.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180016.jpg

And your point is?

In most countries there is a difference in price between chicken legs and chicken thighs.

There are bad times ahead for the Thais for sure,prices up before their(and our eyes). The expats should be OK as most currencies are up against the baht,but once the Feds get moving especially interest rates,that 300 baht a day will be history

attachicon.gif20150615_175924.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_175938.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180008.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180016.jpg

And your point is?

In most countries there is a difference in price between chicken legs and chicken thighs.

210 Bht/kg for a chicken leg with bone?

Chicken legs are normally under 100 Bht/kg

And your point is?

210 Bht/kg for a chicken leg with bone?

Chicken legs are normally under 100 Bht/kg

Regardless of the price, does anyone in his right mind actually still buy factory-farmed Thai chicken? If so, does he know what is pumped into them in the way of hormones and antibiotics?

Rather him than me.

That's cooked chicken. An entire cooked chicken is about 125B (sometimes under 100B when on offer) and the price hasn't changed much in quite some time.

Which isn't to say that inflation is not much higher than it is made out to be.

"Regardless of the price, does anyone in his right mind actually still buy factory-farmed Thai chicken? If so, does he know what is pumped into them in the way of hormones and antibiotics?

Rather him than me."

Where would one buy chicken that hasn't been pumped with hormones & antibiotics KK?

Indeed can anyone recommend an organic meat supplier?

SJ

"Regardless of the price, does anyone in his right mind actually still buy factory-farmed Thai chicken? If so, does he know what is pumped into them in the way of hormones and antibiotics?

Rather him than me."

Where would one buy chicken that hasn't been pumped with hormones & antibiotics KK?

Indeed can anyone recommend an organic meat supplier?

A good question. I've seen imported chicken in various supermarkets at very high prices, as one might expect.

I think that if I wanted to eat chicken here I would try and find some local person who raises them in their backyard. They may not be 100% organic, but they probably dont get fed too much in the way of chemicals either.

Also the Royal Projects may do something in the way of organic meat. They certainly do organic vegetables.