Gym Equipment

gavin1981

Hi,

I wanting to put a small gym setup in my home, any advice on where to buy the kit? I was thinking some free weights and a bench press bench maybe to start. Or if anyone knows of any kit for sale in good condition then let me know that also.

ultimatefitness (bangkok based) and gymware (bangkok based) both are good at speaking English the first is more expensive but faster and better quality. The second is slower but reasonable quality.

I advise you to buy a power rack and a utility bench.

It all depends of course how much you want to spend, what kind of quality you want and how much you know about training.

Anyone remotely serious would buy a power rack with a adjustable bench and some free weights. This is the best for the serious trainer.

I have had multigyms and I have a professional lat pully. The multy gym does not even get close to it. That is normal as my latpully was 38.000bt

I started of with a powerrack and some free weights and never regretted it.

I bought some real expensive weights (120 lbs Ironmaster quick lock dumbells) cost me 700$ for the product 700$ for shipping and 300$ in taxes. But these are things that will last a lifetime.

It all depends how long your going to stay how serious you are and such but in general its cheaper to join a gym.

Join a gym, less hassle

Most stupid, ignorant post of the year.

Congratulations.

coffee1.gif

Not really, I own a semi professional home gym and now after 8 years I am still not sure I recuperated all the cost I made. So financially if you want a good workout a gym might be better.

For me when i first moved here (not pattaya) there were no good gyms, combine that with my work a home gym was a good investment. Not financially.. but health wise as I am sure I would have given up on going to a gym long ago. The fact that I can do all I need at home is great.

But financially it might not be the soundest investment especially if your not sure how long you will stay here.

But for me it was the best thing I ever did, in great shape and a nice home gym to boot. (will be a problem if I move)

It all depends of course how much you want to spend, what kind of quality you want and how much you know about training.

Anyone remotely serious would buy a power rack with a adjustable bench and some free weights. This is the best for the serious trainer.

I have had multigyms and I have a professional lat pully. The multy gym does not even get close to it. That is normal as my latpully was 38.000bt

I bought some real expensive weights (120 lbs Ironmaster quick lock dumbells) cost me 700$ for the product 700$ for shipping and 300$ in taxes. But these are things that will last a lifetime.

It all depends how long your going to stay how serious you are and such but in general its cheaper to join a gym.

It's a catch 22 situation. Spending a lot of money on good quality home gym equipment will more than likely be a waste of money (and space) for most people as it is well established that few people stick with home training... however, if one buys junk it will likely not get used simply because it is junk.

I have an expensive Concept rower collecting dust and taking up valuable space in the lounge lol. At first, when you see it (assorted home gym equipment) everyday you may feel guilty about not using it, but before long you no longer see it as you switch off and one day you wonder what it is doing in your lounge.biggrin.png... after you spent 5 years convincing yourself that at some point of time in the future you intended to get back into it.

Proceed with caution....

Robblok, I'm not talking about you. You are a special case.smile.png (and I mean that in a good way). Perhaps it's because you haven't retired yet. Busy people always seem to get more done.

Join a gym, less hassle and they have everything you need! If they dont move onto the next one . .

That's good advice if one is living in a "normal" city with good gym choices ( i.e.back in your home country), but in Pattaya ALL the gyms are either dumps or too expensive (and inadequate). What I mean by that is that the expensive places are only hotel gyms and inadequate.

Most of these inadequate gyms are not really fit to be called gyms. You all know the places I'm referring to.

It's a catch 22 situation. Spending a lot of money on good quality home gym equipment will more than likely be a waste of money (and space) for most people as it is well established that few people stick with home training... however, if one buys junk it will likely not get used simply because it is junk.

I have an expensive Concept rower collecting dust and taking up valuable space in the lounge lol. At first, when you see it (assorted home gym equipment) everyday you may feel guilty about not using it, but before long you no longer see it as you switch off and one day you wonder what it is doing in your lounge.biggrin.png... after you spent 5 years convincing yourself that at some point of time in the future you intended to get back into it.

Proceed with caution....

Robblok, I'm not talking about you. You are a special case.smile.png (and I mean that in a good way). Perhaps it's because you haven't retired yet. Busy people always seem to get more done.

Your point is well made for most of the people a home gym is not a good idea. I also said that I am not sure if its cost effective but for a small part of people its a good thing to train at home.

I know that for me it has kept me training for a long time, for me distance to a gym and time lost would put me off training regularly. For others training at home would not motivate them. In the end its about knowing yourself. Also don't forget for some gym equipment you get reasonable money when you sell it (if your not in a rush).

I don't use all my stuff equally at the moment its more barbell work and less concept rower and dumbbells but that could change again.

biggrin.png I have been training for over 25 years, and I must admit that a home Gym has crossed my mind on several occasions! But is it really practical for the normal earner amongst us to set up a gym in the home that caters to our every need, I don’t think so as cost and space springs to mind. A home gym sounds good and it’s nice to say I have a gym at home, but realistically it doesn’t work and all your expensive equipment will eventually become redundant as you just can’t be bothered to use it!

For me at least I like to get out of the house and go to the Gym. Yes there aren’t any fantastic gyms in Pattaya but I’m sure that even a poor outside gym will have more equipment than what you can fit into the normal home. By the way if you haven’t heard of it the BEAR gym in Jomtien, which at the moment presents great new equipment and at a steal compared to Tony’s gym prices is well worth a look if you are close and serious about training.

Anyway good luck whichever way you want to go

NW

biggrin.png I have been training for over 25 years, and I must admit that a home Gym has crossed my mind on several occasions! But is it really practical for the normal earner amongst us to set up a gym in the home that caters to our every need, I don’t think so as cost and space springs to mind. A home gym sounds good and it’s nice to say I have a gym at home, but realistically it doesn’t work and all your expensive equipment will eventually become redundant as you just can’t be bothered to use it!

For me at least I like to get out of the house and go to the Gym. Yes there aren’t any fantastic gyms in Pattaya but I’m sure that even a poor outside gym will have more equipment than what you can fit into the normal home. By the way if you haven’t heard of it the BEAR gym in Jomtien, which at the moment presents great new equipment and at a steal compared to Tony’s gym prices is well worth a look if you are close and serious about training.

NW

I would say that you right in many cases but for guys like you and me that have been training for 25 years or so it would workout good. In the end all you need is a latpully, power rack, some good dumbbells, dip standards, Olympic barbell and a cardio machine. I got all of that and as good if not better as in most gyms. Money wise.. pff will take a while to get all of it back. Plus if your not really committed to a house in Thailand it would be hell to transport it all the time.

So sure for the average guy a home gym is not a good idea but some like me get great results from it and it helps me. I don't like to travel too much to go to a gym. But I am not pattaya based.

Are you by any chance a reincarnation of an other member using the same profile picture.

Explain your reasoning!!

Join a gym, less hassle

Most stupid, ignorant post of the year.

Congratulations.

coffee1.gif

Sir, yes Sir.

Everybody is different and has different schedules.

Have everything a few meters away in your own gym, versus having to travel to a gym and back when dealing with a busy work and family schedule. Yes, more hassle. rolleyes.gif

coffee1.gif

There is a shop selling some pretty nice looking gym equiment called 'x-trend' on Thep Prasit 17

www.x-trend.com

I have no first hand knowlage of this company, simply noticed it while my I was waiting for some shoe repairs next door

cheers

Even for that little lot you would need a fair bit of space! Another member with the same profile picture, no idea on that one but I am willing to change mine if hes been on here longer than 2008 when I first joined?

NW

I would say that you right in many cases but for guys like you and me that have been training for 25 years or so it would workout good. In the end all you need is a latpully, power rack, some good dumbbells, dip standards, Olympic barbell and a cardio machine. I got all of that and as good if not better as in most gyms. Money wise.. pff will take a while to get all of it back. Plus if your not really committed to a house in Thailand it would be hell to transport it all the time.

So sure for the average guy a home gym is not a good idea but some like me get great results from it and it helps me. I don't like to travel too much to go to a gym. But I am not pattaya based.

Are you by any chance a reincarnation of an other member using the same profile picture.

Even for that little lot you would need a fair bit of space! Another member with the same profile picture, no idea on that one but I am willing to change mine if hes been on here longer than 2008 when I first joined?

NW

I use one complete bedroom for what I have its perfect. For me it was the perfect solution and for others it might also be good. But that really depends on the individual. In general I agree.. gym is less hassle. But when you train serious an own gym can be quite nice.

Aircon on the temperature I like.. my music and never having to wait for others.

I am not sure when he joined and can't recall his name just recall the profile pic. Sorry was just curious no accusation of any sort.

my music and never having to wait for others.

2 friends went to use the benchpress.

2 thais sitting on it chatting.

Friends: 'Excuse me, we want to use the benchpress'

Thais: 'Bap neung' (one minute), then turned back around to chat to eachother and never got up for them.

coffee1.gif

my music and never having to wait for others.

2 friends went to use the benchpress.

2 thais sitting on it chatting.

Friends: 'Excuse me, we want to use the benchpress'

Thais: 'Bap neung' (one minute), then turned back around to chat to eachother and never got up for them.

coffee1.gif

I really got a great home gym far better as most (but invested heavily in it) and its great. For me not having to travel is great, however training with people and social contacts do suffer that way.

The gf is happy with the home gym at the moment she uses it quite a lot. Especially the rower and the big tv to do aerobics. I am ashamed to say it looks like this week she will use it more as me.

For my my iron-master dumbbells are one of my prized possessions. Arguably the most expensive in my gym but mainly because of transport and tax. A good pair of quick switching dumbbells is the best thing to have. I had the normal ones with disks but this is far easier.

I have done what the OP is wanting to do and have a small gym at my condo now. It consists of:

Dumbell bench - 7,000 THB from BigC

Sit up bench - 2,500 THB from BigC

A couple of yoga mats to protect the hardwood floor - 1000 THB BigC

Curl Bar - I think it was 1,500 baht from Super sport in Central festival.

6 kg dumbells - BigC 1,200 THB

8 Kg dumbells - Supersport 1,600 THB

10 Kg dumbells - Supersport 2000 THB

2 adjustable dumbells with 14 kg each - 3000 THB from BigC

50 kg of additional weights - 5000 THB Super Sport - ~5000 THB

So I think I have spent around 25,000 THB total. Personally I don't care what the gym membership costs. I work for a living and its stressful. I have an hour commute home. I walk in the door, flip on the AC, change into my board shorts and go for a swim in my pool at the condo which is 200m long and overlooks the ocean. Never seen a nicer pool anywhere and certainly not at a gym.

After I'm done swimming I go inside for weight training. The AC is exactly what temp I like. I get to play my own music or watch TV. Everything is exactly how I want it. The last thing I want to do when I get home is go drive somewhere else in Pattaya. My gym doesn't have everything a proper one does, but it has given me the results I wanted in a short period of time.

Maybe before posting comments like "join a gym" you should take a minute to think that maybe..just maybe the OP knows that gyms exist, and that he may just want information relative to question he asked.

Archived