Drive car barefoot: legal in T'land?

And me ... sometimes .. there have been instances where shoes have got between the brake pedal and the floor. Shouuldn't be any problems with flip flops but maybe the hard heel of Jesus sandels could give you a nasty surprise when you try to operate the brake pedal...

Edited by JAS21

I've never had a bib tell me I can't, as when driving through checkpoints I am always barefoot. It would be strange in a country where flip flops are quite the norm to be illegal to drive barefoot. If the bibs are booking people for speeding, double parking, driving the wrong way etc. I can't see how you would even got pinched if it was illegal.

A Thai truck driver was fined last year for wearing 'inappropriate' footwear. What he was wearing were expensive shoes that apparently the police officer was jealous of. He went on Facebook about it.

I used to drive barefoot also but with an automatic I have no problems with flip flops.

I was going to post that there was a truck or bus driver nicked maybe last year for wearing flip flops, but maybe it was the story above. I thought the cops said he should be driving barefoot. Maybe I'm wrong.

Driving barefoot unless you are one major sweaty person is safer than most shoes, much more feel of the pedals. Race drivers wear shoes due to fire protection rules which have incredibly thin soles.

Legal/illegal ? Does it matter? If the cops want your money they just make it up. I doubt most have actually bothered to learn actual laws. 200 baht or the cost of a lawyer.

This story maybe:?

http://news.sanook.com/1718719/

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1419217420

http://www.chaoprayanews.com/2014/12/22/%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%87-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AD/

Got fined for wearing slippers (if I understand correctly).

There seem to be special rules for bus/truck/taxi drivers.

Just don't drive without a shirt, thats forbidden biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

The first link says somebody got fined for wearing 'inappropriate footwear', but the fine was not issued correctly. It does say only people driving trucks, buses, taxi's, public transport must wear decent shoes, flipflops not allowed. For private cars flipflops are allowed.

I just wonder what you will do stepping out of the car in bare feet and you step on...broken glass, a centipede, a nail, or the unlikely event a scorpion. Or more likely a very Hot Road.

I just wonder what you will do stepping out of the car in bare feet and you step on...broken glass, a centipede, a nail, or the unlikely event a scorpion. Or more likely a very Hot Road.

Of course I put back on my footwear before leaving the car.

Not the hippie type tongue.png

Learned to drive in a mini....so yeah, no foot wear:) Pedals are too close together. I'm either in barefoot or socks. In most shoes I can't feel the pedals and don't feel connected to the car. Never had a problem. Never read a rule here that forbids bare feet driving.

Ask the Lawyer. He knows everything, but fails to accept work!

I don't know if he fails to accept work, but he definitely fails to offer complete / clear answers to many questions. I have asked several and found it useless. I don't read it anymore because the info is so rarely of any use.

And there is no option to offer replies. More often than not, TV members can answer or have already answered the question.

i drive an automatic with both feet, one over the brakes and one over the accelerator.
I know in Thailand they teach you to just use one foot, but i think thats dangerous and slower reaction times to go from one pedal to the other, plus yes you can get your shoes sole caught on the pedal or between the pedals... It does ache a little more but has saved me from many an accident when some fool brakes without any brake lights in front of me.

AFAIK it is illegal in Thailand, as is driving or sitting in a car shirtless. There are a lot of laws like this enacted by military dictators of the past that are still on the statute books, like the law that you must wear proper shoes, not sandals to go the races at the Sports and Turf Clubs. Good business for the people who rent shoes outside.

AFAIK it is illegal in Thailand, as is driving or sitting in a car shirtless. There are a lot of laws like this enacted by military dictators of the past that are still on the statute books, like the law that you must wear proper shoes, not sandals to go the races at the Sports and Turf Clubs. Good business for the people who rent shoes outside.

Shirtless....Right. I heard this for the first time just the other day.Driving shirtless is against the law in LOS. I don't generally drive my car shirtless but have done so a couple of times.

bare feet - nearly always. I usually wear flipflops and they are dangerous IMO as I've had them slip or get stuck under pedals a couple of times. So I kick my flips off and drive bare foot. Much safer IMO.

Pretty sure it's illegal. As has been noted, people get fined for improper footwear, and driving shirtless is illegal. So most likely, a cop looking for a reason to get you might fine you for it, if he noticed.

So because public transport drivers are required to wear decent shoes and driving shirtless is considered indecent you think driving barefoot is illegal.

Sorry, but that is not a strong basis

Yeah Right - Stub your toe on the brake pedal and cause an accident............the world is full of idiots.........why be one of them........wear sandals, better than nothing.coffee1.gif