E20, gas tank, and car color problem

soak a rag in fuel and sit it in the middle of your bonnet.....

Never had a problem with fuel.........

If you have never had a problem then soaking a rag in fuel and placing it on your bonnet and leaving it there should fill you confidence there will be no ill effect to your paintwork.

Well no, never soaked a rag in anything and left it on my ride...............

So your comments are baseless then.

Well, most of us don't drive round with fuel soaked rags on our rides as you obviously do......gigglem.gif

The point is you have no experience of paint soaked with fuel hence you have never experienced the phenomena of what will happen.

The OP is a good clue as to the expected result if you were to leave a car panel soaked in fuel.

We are talking about cheap makes here, what do you expect ? When people want quality they don't buy Japanese cars I think ?

I found this article. All of you that use E20 should read it.

http://www.iea-amf.org/content/fuel_information/ethanol/e10/e10_compatibility

"Ethanol may also damage conventional paints, which is a considerable risk during refueling."

Case closed.

Just scanned that report, which is quite old, and only has a one line reference that it "may damage conventional paints during refuelling." I suspect auto makers know this and may add extra coatings on body paint below the filling points?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"We are talking about cheap makes here, what do you expect ? When people want quality they don't buy Japanese cars I think ?"

What an absolute load of garbage. Japanese paint quality is as good as it gets. I'm a Ford fan from way back, but don't criticize what you know absolutely nothing about.

I don't think that you do think !!!!!

Its impossible with factory paint. This car has been resprayed or this make is worst than my dog poop ♥♥♥

Resprayed why? I'ts a new car! No any accidents. It just makes no sense.

Take it back to Mitsubishi and make some noise. OEM paint should not do this.

555!!! this is Thailand. Mitsubishi will pass the buck. It's worth a try, but I think there is no way they will stand behind their lousy paint.

i agree, a lousy paint from mitsubishi !!

Here is my two cents when looking at the photo, if you start at the top there is corrosion with the metal. Looking at the metal discoloration the this has been going on ( spillage for sometime ) follow the discoloration flow and you will see where the paint starts it is peeling or separating. To prove my point if you scrape the bubbling paint off you will see exactly the trailing corrosion from the filling area right to the the paint. The discoloration is from the corrosion.

Being Thailand forget having it covered by the station. And it is not worth to claim it with your own insurance, they will count it against you later no different in Thailand. You got a better chance with the dealer if the car is still new and under warranty.

If the car is new it is better to get it done at the dealer since they have a computer part number for your paint. At your door there is a plate with matching paint information. Either way once it is done, I suggest getting some clear silicone and put a layer around this area to prevent gas or water to enter in the future. Not sure why you are using E20? it is slightly cheaper than 91, and getting more miles/km and performance might not be worth using.

Hello,

What if in the car book it is written E20/E10 in big letters on top of the page ? Then 95 is written somewhere else, smaller...

IS it possible that for some cars E20 is better than 95 ? And if 95 can be used do you think that 85 can also be used ? (not written).

All this choice is confusing and many people here seem to think that E20 is bad ?

Thanks.

Hello,

What if in the car book it is written E20/E10 in big letters on top of the page ? Then 95 is written somewhere else, smaller...

IS it possible that for some cars E20 is better than 95 ? And if 95 can be used do you think that 85 can also be used ? (not written).

All this choice is confusing and many people here seem to think that E20 is bad ?

Thanks.

85 is not sold in Thailand so you will have no issue with it at all.

I too am surprised to see this paint reaction on allegedly factory paint. Many years ago I worked for a Ford main agent, you would be very surprised how many new cars have had minor damage repaired and/or paintwork rectification work done at the dealership before delivery to the customer.

I agree with Thailand49 that it may indeed have been happening for some time. Has the sealing ring in the filler cap been checked?

Its now a few years since I was driving in LOS, but this is just one of the reasons why I always get out to watch what the gas monkeys are up to.

Archived