E20, gas tank, and car color problem

Is it a new car with first class insurance? If so, have a look at the insurance policy. Maybe they will cover it, but I'm not sure as the garage who filled the petrol is responsible (no doubt they that will deny any involvement).

Either way, that panel will need to be resprayed. Maybe someone here can recommend a good shop.

Do you have an idea how long this fuel worked on the color?

I somethis have spills from E20 and all I do is wipe some stains/dirt traces when I come home and everything good.

Is this a new car and/or a decent paintwork or has it been sprayed by some hobbyist?

Normal fuel should not attack car lacquer.

And I doubt that the 20% ethanol can.

Its known to attack plastics, but factory made lacquer?

Do you have an idea how long this fuel worked on the color?

I somethis have spills from E20 and all I do is wipe some stains/dirt traces when I come home and everything good.

Is this a new car and/or a decent paintwork or has it been sprayed by some hobbyist?

Normal fuel should not attack car lacquer.

And I doubt that the 20% ethanol can.

Its known to attack plastics, but factory made lacquer?

Fuel was leaking about 5 hours + direct Sun, more or less.

Car is 3 years now. Yes, E20 can melt color as you can see from picture :)

Gas station attendants spilling fuel like this is normal (but unfortunate). What's not normal is the way your paint has reacted to it.

What make/model/year of car is it?

Are you sure it's OEM paint?

Are you sure they didn't try to fill your tank with brake fluid? :P

Gas station attendants spilling fuel like this is normal (but unfortunate). What's not normal is the way your paint has reacted to it.

What make/model/year of car is it?

Are you sure it's OEM paint?

Are you sure they didn't try to fill your tank with brake fluid? tongue.png

I'm not sure was this post supposed to be a joke or what? Brake fluid?

Car is Mirage top model 2012, I'm the only driver and again, gas tank cap was not closed properly so E20 evaporated and created small droplets that leaked down on paint.

This is getting nowhere, only debating color quality.

Thank you "DavisH" for answer.

Regards.

The problem with your situation is that spilling if gas happens regularly, but I have never heard of the consequence you're suffering.

So the reasoning 'there must be another cause' seems quite reasonable.

Its impossible with factory paint. This car has been resprayed or this make is worst than my dog poop ♥♥♥

Resprayed why? I'ts a new car! No any accidents. It just makes no sense.

Take it back to Mitsubishi and make some noise. OEM paint should not do this.

Its impossible with factory paint. This car has been resprayed or this make is worst than my dog poop ♥♥♥

Resprayed why? I'ts a new car! No any accidents. It just makes no sense.

Take it back to Mitsubishi and make some noise. OEM paint should not do this.

555!!! this is Thailand. Mitsubishi will pass the buck. It's worth a try, but I think there is no way they will stand behind their lousy paint.

I found this article. All of you that use E20 should read it.

http://www.iea-amf.org/content/fuel_information/ethanol/e10/e10_compatibility

"Ethanol may also damage conventional paints, which is a considerable risk during refueling."

Case closed.

Just scanned that report, which is quite old, and only has a one line reference that it "may damage conventional paints during refuelling." I suspect auto makers know this and may add extra coatings on body paint below the filling points?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Ethanol may also damage conventional paints, which is a considerable risk during refueling."

Case closed.

Just scanned that report, which is quite old, and only has a one line reference that it "may damage conventional paints during refuelling." I suspect auto makers know this and may add extra coatings on body paint below the filling points?

Yes, exactly, "may add extra coatings" but not in Thailand because I noticed over 2 years noticeable darker paint on that spot.

I really don't care about little darker paint, but if worker forgot to close gas tank... they should fix it.

Talked to PTT and they will pay for new paint.

We are talking about cheap makes here, what do you expect ? When people want quality they don't buy Japanese cars I think ?

Case closed.

Using ethanol of any percentage is false economy, the extra fuel you use in everyday driving equals the money you save! The whole thing is a scam, in Oz and europe they don't have any fuel with more than 5% alcohol and even then the Automobile Associations say there is no savings! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngwai.gif

Using ethanol of any percentage is false economy, the extra fuel you use in everyday driving equals the money you save! The whole thing is a scam, in Oz and europe they don't have any fuel with more than 5% alcohol and even then the Automobile Associations say there is no savings! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngwai.gif

When did Oz stop selling E10 (10% ethanol) and E85 (85% ethanol) ?

Why is it impossible ?

"Laboratory tests have shown that blends of 20% pure Ethanol in petrol can damage some conventional automotive paint."

http://www.raa.com.au/motoring-and-road-safety/fuel-information/ethanol-and-e10

Agree. It depends on the paint formulation. Some polymers are ethanol/hydrocarbon resistant, some are not. Complete strip back, primer, respray and bake.

Prevention in the event of a spill - plain old water wash will take out the ethanol.

Must confess I have never seen fuel take out paint....Brake fluid yes...............

We are stuck in time loop some kind...

To answer you question, yes you have now.

And I would like to stop repeating myself.

Car is new, 3 years now, Mitsubishi Mirage. I use E20 fuel for more than 2 years.

Before 2 days I left car outside parked on the Sun. Worker on PTT gas station left unscrewed gas tank cap and some fuel evaporated through the night.

That's about 10 hours and about half liter, not few drops for 5 minutes.

Now, why would paint melt like that? Who knows? But that's what happen'd.

I'm not chemist and I'm not planing to become one so, please, stop trying to convince me that I use brake fluid on my car.

Edit: Answer to most of questions are in the video at 1:59

We are talking about cheap makes here, what do you expect ? When people want quality they don't buy Japanese cars I think ?

Case closed.

Your slur against Japanese cars is ill-informed. Time and again,Japanese cars are at the top of consumer and automotive journalist polls for the most reliability, ease of maintenance and resale value. I have bought new BMW and Mercedes and while they were good cars on the whole, reliability, ease of maintenance, and resale were very poor considering initial cost. I drove my Honda Accord over 100,000 miles and aside from normal maintenance, never a hiccup. Same for my Scion XB. Japanese cars may not be exciting, but they are well built and reliable. My new BMW left me stranded twice from electrical and transmission issues. The Mercedes was a horror show with its biodegradable wiring harness. The Germans make good-looking, fun cars, but I would never buy one that was out of warranty. I keep a 25 year old Toyota at my home overseas. 250,000 km, still runs fine and only requires scheduled maintenance. I won't waste my money on American cars with the possible exception of some Ford products and their F-Series pickups.

soak a rag in fuel and sit it in the middle of your bonnet.....

Never had a problem with fuel.........

Well you wouldn't with used chip oil would you ... have a nice day chum ...

soak a rag in fuel and sit it in the middle of your bonnet.....

Never had a problem with fuel.........

If you have never had a problem then soaking a rag in fuel and placing it on your bonnet and leaving it there should fill you confidence there will be no ill effect to your paintwork.

Archived