Old Timers ? Where did all the Years Go ?

Gonzo the Face

Something popped up the other day that maybe some of the old timers could help me with. ..... and strange how things seem to link together. Today in a post someone mentioned "where the old Escape Use to be" The question which needed answering could be answered by " Eddy" who had the old escape. Haven't seen or heard from him 15 years or so...... also by a man named Graham, coincidently used to own the Escape or an Escape, before Eddy. I know Graham moved to Phuket and had a place that I think got wiped out in the flood. ... and Eddy move to the Pattaya area and then I lost touch with them completely Anyone know how to get in contact with either of them please let me know...... also another Kn Guy from the old Flamingo...... If any one can help, please let me know by post or PM Thanks heaps....

Gonzo

I remember Eddy and the original Escape. I know exactly where it was. I have never heard of Graham and always thought Eddy was the original owner. He is certainly the one who turned the place into a success.

As far as I know, the second owner was Big Ian, the pilot who dies in a plane crash a few years ago in Indonesia. I'm sure someone remembers his Thai Visa nick, but I have forgotten it.

The original Escape was a few shop fronts down from the guy - Bob - who was selling hamburgers a few years ago and got busted for selling pot and opium candies on the side. He is in CM Men's Prison now. It was called "Spanky's" restaurant.

After a few years, the Escape moved around the corner to a location of an old brothel - the DD Cafe - and an American guy ran it. He died a year or two ago. I think it was cancer. I should know his name, but have forgotten it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Maybe I should ask if anybody remembers these places or these guys instead....... there has got to be somebody here from those days.

I was the one who made the post "where the old Escape used to be"

I remember Eddy very well, but the name Graham doesn't come to mind.

Everyone remembers Ian who took over the Escape...... 'Blinky Bill'......legend......The Ashes coming up we need him!

What happened to Abe who lived in the attic at Dominoes?

I remember when only a handful of people were at immigration. Not talking about immigration officers, either wink.png

In the building on the left of the car park. Anything over 6 people was a busy day ! It was air conditioned by the most enormous unit stuck to the wall. Plastic sofas and glass coffee tables. On a busy day you might have to share the sofa!

Maybe I should ask if anybody remembers these places or these guys instead....... there has got to be somebody here from those days.

Everyone remembers Ian who took over the Escape...... 'Blinky Bill'......legend......The Ashes coming up we need him!

Abe ended up t the McKean place near the river in Saraphee. Don't know if he's still with us.

As I remember it the original Escape [ran by Graham] was in the Bar Beer Center behind what was Dominoes and its backdoor outlet was called Up 2 U. Those were run by David & Shane. In those days [ 1990 +/- it was walk in the front gate and to the right, on the North side of the Boxing ring. As I hear it Graham sold it and the night he got the final pay out was a Sadist Nite in the boxing ring, where anybody could get in and settle any grudges they had, no weapons .... and Graham got thrown out over the ropes hit the ground and got up to find he had a broken leg. When Eddy had the Escape it was down right across the street from the Las Vegas , cross the ditch from the Prince hotel..... He sold about 5 -6 half interests... and Blinky was in it somehow. Ultimately he sold it to a guy, American I think named Bill, who had it for a while. The cook was named Cookie. Ran into Graham in Phuket a few years after that around 95 or so , then lost touch.

Kn Guy [Leung Guy} owned the Flamingo before Rolf and not sure if it was Guy to Rolf, or if someone was in between. I think Rolf's other half was named Toy.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I remember when only a handful of people were at immigration. Not talking about immigration officers, either wink.png

In the building on the left of the car park. Anything over 6 people was a busy day ! It was air conditioned by the most enormous unit stuck to the wall. Plastic sofas and glass coffee tables. On a busy day you might have to share the sofa!

It was always over so quickly, never bothered sitting down.

As I remember it the original Escape [ran by Graham] was in the Bar Beer Center behind what was Dominoes and the backdoor outlet was called Up 2 U. In those days [ 1990 +/- it was walk in the gate and to the right, on the North side of the Boxing ring. As I hear it Graham sold it and the night he got the final pay out was a Sadist Nite in the boxing ring, where anybody could get in and settle any grudges they had, no weapons .... and Graham got thrown out over the ropes hit the ground and got up to find he had a broken leg. When Eddy had the Escape it was down right across the street from the Las Vegas , cross the ditch from the Prince hotel..... He sold about 5 -6 half interests... and Blinky was in it somehow. Ultimately he sold it to a guy, American I think named Bill, who had it for a while. The cook was named Cookie. Ran into Graham in Phuket a few years after that around 95 or so , then lost touch.

Cookie moved to Mad Dog.

Abe ended up t the McKean place near the river in Saraphee. Don't know if he's still with us.

What a character!

Bet he would never go to immigration at 4am or do 90 day reports.laugh.png

What a character!

Bet he would never go to immigration at 4am or do 90 day reports.laugh.png

Don't think he had a passport

Abe eventually got things straightened out and found he was entitled to a UK pension..... lived at McKean for a few years after living at the Blue Sky for a while. Abe was a very special friend as is his memory today. Abe passed away a few years back ..... few posts in the page of remembrance thread on him...... as well as Blinky

Back in the Bar Bee Center days Abe had a good buddy .... Andy the Scot. .... also gone on to his reward ..... was always having to be fished out of the moat.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Ultimately he sold it to a guy, American I think named Bill, who had it for a while.

Yes, Bill was a grumpy guy, but I liked him. He is the one who died of cancer (at McKean?). His wife married a Brit and they reopened the Escape down near John's Place/Cozy Corner and it lasted a few years. I think it closed somewhat recently.

I'm pretty sure that Abe has passed on.

At one stage didn't the Escape used to be down the soi that now has the Salad Concept at the top (off the moat). ?Lots of guesthouses down there now. (Off Chaiyaphum Rd)

Not the same soi, but not too far away. All the way over by Las Vegas - one of Chiang Mai's first Go-Go Bars and known for mostly hideous women. I remember they had an albino dancer. She was very popular with the Thais, because of her white skin.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ultimately he sold it to a guy, American I think named Bill, who had it for a while.

Yes, Bill was grumpy guy, but I liked him. He is the one who died of cancer (at McKean?). His wife married a Brit and they reopened the Escape down near John's Place/Cozy Corner and it lasted a few years. I think it closed somewhat recently.

I'm pretty sure that Abe has passed on.

At one stage didn't the Escape used to be down the soi that now has the Salad Concept at the top (off the moat). ?Lots of guesthouses down there now. (Off Chaiyaphum Rd)

Not the same soi, but not too far away. All the way over by Las Vegas - one of Chiang Mai;s first Go-Go Bars and known for mostly hideous women.

I liked Cozy Corner.

Sang Som set 150 baht - Johns 20% discount card (which I still have).

Order outside and take it inside wink.png

Sufficiently dark and sleazy inside to keep you interested, seemed to have a lot of Lisu girls.

Edited by uptheos

Ian was the flight photographer, offered to get me a job with an aviation company in Indonesia when I met him on my first visit to Mad Dog, but and no disrespect I knew about aviation over there.

Cookie, Nick lost a treasure there when she moved or was forced to move on.

"I can remember all this, but not what I watched on tv last night."

​Strange I also suffer from this phenomenon. Swear I can remember conversations from 30-40 yeras ago but as to last night or 10 mins ago, no chance.

john

Anyone remember Ant Robertson? is the spotlight club still going?

Spotlight is only a shadow of its former self.

Last time I went there was 1997 and it was rubbish then, girls with stars pasted on their tits bah.gif

Edited by dragonfly94