Three killed, 24 injured in bus crash in Lampang

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the driver was barefoot.

Sorry, but i don't think that's very funny mate....my sister-in-law-to-be is in intensive care having brain surgery from that accident. She is only 20,

It's a bit hard to laugh about that when someone close to you is severely injured....i like a laugh, but not this time mate!

another "lets blame the brakes again" story rather then driving at an inappropriate speed or else sleepy

That is probably the truth. But unlikely, though just as bad. it could have been poor maintenance and not the driver.

Of course driving like an idiot (speeding)wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

You are implying that Thais can not drive. I know Thais that can

Albeit crazily and with disregard for laws or safety.

Given the fact that no cars or motorbikes are ever checked for roadworthiness, functioning brakes, lights, etc. except the superficial pat down when a vehicle is sold and bought, it is an absolute miracle that there aren't several thousand road deaths per day in Thailand. I also believe a lot of drivers are half blind and actually would need glasses or contacts, bit eyesight is check - if - then only when a driving license is made or renewed. A million factors make up this explosive road mayhem cocktail of Thailand... where to start???

That's the flipside to having a high amount of freedom and little regulation that attract so many farang to Thailand. Yet those same people endlessly complain about the deficiencies of a developing country barely emerging from 3rd world status.

another "lets blame the brakes again" story rather then driving at an inappropriate speed or else sleepy

And here we have yet another TV member who can't read. The driver asked his conductor, who was also his wife, to get all the passengers to the back of the bus as his brakes had failed. The guy was a hero, and you come up with the same old, same old blame the driver. Jeez!

Here it is again: He then told his wife who is the bus conductor to immediately advise all passengers to gather at the rear and those seated to fasten their seat belts. As the bus with failed brakes entered the intersection, he blew the bus horns to warn vehicles at the intersection of the approaching bus with brakes failure.

Got it this time?

Edited by Bangkok Barry

in june i need to go khon kaen from cm maybe i will take kan airline 990b much better i thinks

and i need to go bkk with nakonchair i think that the most good bus compagny no ?

My gf's sister/cousin was on that bus, she has very bad head injuries....she is having brain surgery, hope she pulls through.

RIP to the unfortunate ones.

Mate, my prayers are with her and hope she is going to be all right.

By the look of the footage the driver can be named as Nigel Mansel, he was clearly speeding dangerously.

These coaches have other ways of slowing such as lower gear selection and the use of the exhausts brake, the power of the engine will slow the coach to under ten miles per hour where collision may not be avoidable but some control maybe possible.

RIP to the lost soul and prayers for the recovery of the injured.

Of course he was going fast......he had no brakes!!! At least he tried to warn everyone and get them to the safest part of the bus while still staying in his driving seat. Give him a little credit.

Man this is ThaiVisa ! bah.gif

You won't make many friends saying things like that, "Give him little credit" whistling.gif Good luck there is no unlike button you would have had a few hundred tongue.png

Generally the driver needs to accept some blame for the accidents but primarily the blame lays with Government/public service inaction on making sure public buses and their drivers are of an acceptable standard that would minimise the numbers of accidents that do happen! But the Thai psyche seems to want to blame all and sundry and NOT to take ownership for their own gross negligence whistling.gif LoSerendipity TITS ad infinitum ad nauseum

I know his brakes failed but am finding it hard to work out how on earth he got to that speed. It's just beyond comprehension.

The area looks flat I just can't see what could have produced that speed.

in june i need to go khon kaen from cm maybe i will take kan airline 990b much better i thinks

and i need to go bkk with nakonchair i think that the most good bus compagny no ?

I think you take the rise.

As you nose everything alreadies.

Since brake failure on tourist buses is getting to be a frequent problem, why not install a flashing dome light atop the cab above the driver. When the driver realises the brakes have failed, he quickly flips the switch and hopefully drivers are forewarned.

Given the fact that no cars or motorbikes are ever checked for roadworthiness, functioning brakes, lights, etc. except the superficial pat down when a vehicle is sold and bought, it is an absolute miracle that there aren't several thousand road deaths per day in Thailand. I also believe a lot of drivers are half blind and actually would need glasses or contacts, bit eyesight is check - if - then only when a driving license is made or renewed. A million factors make up this explosive road mayhem cocktail of Thailand... where to start???

That's the flipside to having a high amount of freedom and little regulation that attract so many farang to Thailand. Yet those same people endlessly complain about the deficiencies of a developing country barely emerging from 3rd world status.

Wrong! I went to renew the registration on my 'bike last week and was told that as it was 5 years old I needed to take it to a test center for a roadworthy certificate. Another example of TV members assuming they are all knowing!

Wrong! I went to renew the registration on my 'bike last week and was told that as it was 5 years old I needed to take it to a test center for a roadworthy certificate. Another example of TV members assuming they are all knowing!

What if you don't renew whatever,like many locals,no insurance,no roadworthy cert etc etc,you my friend appear to be mislead.

When in Rome and all that.

While you make a valid point that all is not what it seems here regarding road safety and law etc we all know that it's not followed,you contradict yourself.

Edited by stoneyboy

Can we have the name of this bus company so we can avod dealing with them in the future ? I took an aircon VIP bus from Pattaya to CM once overnight, very comfortable and a good driver.

I read the front as 'rot ruam' but I'm not sure if that is a company name or a generic classifier for this type of Air Con bus.

I've driven this road a number of times and even in a car it is not easy. There is only a limited amount of duel carriageway

making overtaking difficult.

Journey time to CM from Udon by car is around 8 hours so 10 in a bus maybe even more, very tiring.

Although the bus was not a new modern type if the brakes failed they should still have come on automatically. The vacuum/ braking system is to stop the brakes coming on and if there is a failure of any type the brakes come on

He's on the 6 lane highway bypass in Mueang Lampang. If he wasn't driving excessively fast, he might have been able to get around some of the traffic.

i think i took this company few year ago udon to cm , the air con was not working and at 3 am they let us at utaradit because the driver say air con not working LOOOL and we take another bus to reach cm

never again

Edited by thai006

By the look of the footage the driver can be named as Nigel Mansel, he was clearly speeding dangerously.

These coaches have other ways of slowing such as lower gear selection and the use of the exhausts brake, the power of the engine will slow the coach to under ten miles per hour where collision may not be avoidable but some control maybe possible.

RIP to the lost soul and prayers for the recovery of the injured.

Of course he was going fast......he had no brakes!!! At least he tried to warn everyone and get them to the safest part of the bus while still staying in his driving seat. Give him a little credit.

many ways to slow a vehicle without brakes... emergency brake pedal or handle first to full on, foot off of the gas, then down shifting to lower gears all the way to first gear.... this will almost stop the bus and run the bus into guard rail or curb and slide to a stop. the driver clearly has no clue as he plows into the intersection. looks to me as if he is still accelerating as he exits the screen.

Another lesson after watching that video why we should all be using The fabulous Train service.It is a fraction of the cost of taking a bus and risking your life being on a road here in Thailand.The trains are just a bit slower but nobody is in a rush to go anywhere really.If you want to continue to risk your lives being on a Thai Road then perhaps you should watch the video again and again.

I only travel by train.

( kind respects )

C.S wai2.gif

Losing your brakes at speed is a most frightening experience. It happened to me once, You have to think quickly & all depends on your surroundings. I was lucky & steered it off the road at a bend knocking down side posts & fence, no innocent people involved. I give credit to the driver to warn everyone he could in limited time & under such duress. I think he saved lives. Losing brakes does not mean you were driving negligible.

Another lesson after watching that video why we should all be using The fabulous Train service.It is a fraction of the cost of taking a bus and risking your life being on a road here in Thailand.The trains are just a bit slower but nobody is in a rush to go anywhere really.If you want to continue to risk your lives being on a Thai Road then perhaps you should watch the video again and again.

I only travel by train.

( kind respects )

C.S wai2.gif

Try travelling by train from Udon to Chiang Mai....you can't.

I admire anyone who trusts their life to bus travel in Thailand. It may be cheap but often comes at a price.

Quote from Kala!Losing your brakes at speed is a most frightening experience. It happened to me once, You have to think quickly & all depends on your surroundings. I was lucky & steered it off the road at a bend knocking down side posts & fence, no innocent people involved. I give credit to the driver to warn everyone he could in limited time & under such duress. I think he saved lives. Losing brakes does not mean you were driving negligible.

Quote from me on behalf of all of he people scarred by this .....your talking pish!