Kuwaiti tourist killed in bungee jump accident

Thaivisa News

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which bungee operation was it? The one in Kathu, Chalong or Patong?

I'd like to know too........

As reported and stated in this thread it is in Patong.

What is even more serious if what's being reported at PW is correct, is that this business is unlicensed, unisnured, and there is confusion over who actually owns this. Amazing how a crane this high in Patong has gone unnoticed for 13 years..........................

The Chalong one never opened (because of the death of the operator while testing the system). There have been a couple of incidents/accidents at the Kathu (Jungle Bungy Jump) one but no fatality in about 17 yr. of operation (and with literally thousands of jumps serviced there, those are actually pretty impressive statistics -- riding a motorcycle here is WAY more dangerous (and that's not even taking into account if you've 'had a couple' -- which I honestly wonder how many of you saying things like "Oh...I'd never do any such thing in Thailand..." have ever had a couple of drinks and then ridden or driven home?? IMHO that's much more dangerous (and pathetic given danger to other innocents) than someone trying to push their (mostly mental) limits via bungy jumping, but I digress...

In regard to the recent accident and tragic fatality currently being discussed, this occurred at World Bungee Jump in Patong. I have jumped 4 times at Jungle Bungy Jump (Kathu), and overall am confident in their operation (and for the record I have absolutely no association with Jungle Bungy other than having jumped there). However I always felt a bit leery of WBJ and thus never jumped there, glad I listened to my intuition (though I agree with the posters who say things like this can and do happen around the world, not only in Thailand -- when you do extreme sports you take risks, that's all there is to it (and to those who have commented along the lines of "...no sympathy from me...' -- that's OK, we don't want, need or give a flying you know what about your sympathy...when you die a boring life, and near the end regret all the things you could have done, you'll likewise get no sympathy from me...(not that you probably care either:)

Anyway what I do find thoroughly reprehensible though (but am really not surprised at all in this case), is how the severely injured person was treated immediately after the accident, simply no excuse in the World can justify that.

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

As reported and stated in this thread it is in Patong.

What is even more serious if what's being reported at PW is correct, is that this business is unlicensed, unisnured, and there is confusion over who actually owns this. Amazing how a crane this high in Patong has gone unnoticed for 13 years..........................

Would not surprise me, neither would I be surprised if there is no license or insurance requirement for attractions like this.

One is taking a lot for granted, when doing a bungee jump in general. When one is doing that in the LOS, is it even reasonable that major precautions have been taken to ensure your safety? What is you life worth here, to the locals? Enough for them to spend tens of thousands of dollars making sure they are using state of the art equipment?

Playing Russian Roulette here may be safer. Actually, come to think of it, he was playing Russian Roulette.

The Chalong one never opened (because of the death of the operator while testing the system). There have been a couple of incidents/accidents at the Kathu (Jungle Bungy Jump) one but no fatality in about 17 yr. of operation (and with literally thousands of jumps serviced there, those are actually pretty impressive statistics -- riding a motorcycle here is WAY more dangerous (and that's not even taking into account if you've 'had a couple' -- which I honestly wonder how many of you saying things like "Oh...I'd never do any such thing in Thailand..." have ever had a couple of drinks and then ridden or driven home?? IMHO that's much more dangerous (and pathetic given danger to other innocents) than someone trying to push their (mostly mental) limits via bungy jumping, but I digress...

In regard to the recent accident and tragic fatality currently being discussed, this occurred at World Bungee Jump in Patong. I have jumped 4 times at Jungle Bungy Jump (Kathu), and overall am confident in their operation (and for the record I have absolutely no association with Jungle Bungy other than having jumped there). However I always felt a bit leery of WBJ and thus never jumped there, glad I listened to my intuition (though I agree with the posters who say things like this can and do happen around the world, not only in Thailand -- when you do extreme sports you take risks, that's all there is to it (and to those who have commented along the lines of "...no sympathy from me...' -- that's OK, we don't want, need or give a flying you know what about your sympathy...when you die a boring life, and near the end regret all the things you could have done, you'll likewise get no sympathy from me...(not that you probably care either:)

Anyway what I do find thoroughly reprehensible though (but am really not surprised at all in this case), is how the severely injured person was treated immediately after the accident, simply no excuse in the World can justify that.

Sorry but I rather die a boring but controlled life then die of exitement. No you will never see me parachuting, bungyjumping or do any extreme sports , except driving a car in Thailand which can be extreme by itself.

If you want to do these activities do it in a country where safety regulations is the best. Thailand is way down on that list.

If you travel to Thailand & wish to tie a piece of elastic around your feet..(which is the only thing keeping you between this world & the next) then watch a Thai person (who flunked high school maths exam) do the height/weight calculation hoist you up & drop you then good luck to you... you get what you deserve !!

I bet tomorrow there will be another queue at this attraction waiting to be the next victim !!

Bungee jumping is a kind of madness among the new generations IMHO at least. blink.png

OK accident happened for lack of security probably that is what's happened in Phuket.

BUT did everyone know, I did not ,that Injuries occurred also despite safety measures, generally relating to the abrupt rise in upper body intravascular pressure during bungee cord recoil. Eyesight damage is the most frequently reported complication.Impaired eyesight secondary to retinal haemorrhage may be transient or take several weeks to resolve. In one case, a 26-year-old woman's eyesight was still impaired after 7 months. Whiplash injuries may occur as the jumper is jolted on the bungee cord and in at least one case, this has led to quadriplegia secondary to a broken neck. Very serious injury can also occur if the jumper's neck or body gets entangled in the cord. More recently, carotid artery dissection leading to a type of stroke after bungee jumping has also been described. All of these injuries have occurred in fit and healthy people in their twenties and thirties. Bungee jumping has also been shown to increase stress and decrease immune function.

A few lines copy/paste from Wikipedia, I always thought instinctively this activity was kind of suicidal now having read those lines I am convince!

Yes, continue to assess all risks that way and you'll never use any medicine anymore and will never leave the house anymore (even though most accidents happen in the house).

Enjoy your life.

Man as an ex sailor volunteer on a 3000hp speedboat for the SNSM I have put my live at risk more than one night at sea in bad weather to save other people lives. So allow me to cheesy.gif to you answer.

It's the same bungee operator in this story from 2009: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/05/briton-survives-bungee-fall-thailand

If so then it's foreign owned?

'Terry Pearce, the owner of Jungle Bungy Jump'

Not the same, this is world bungy jump which also owns Patong Boxing stadium so no wonder why reporters were kept away, these are the Patong heavies.

http://www.boxingstadiumpatong.com

Yes. The whole block is owned by "the powers that be".

Sad RIP.. such a tragedy while on vacation... Let's see do the jumpers sign a waiver... in any case, I'm sure business with slow down now.. and the operators will review the equipment for wear and tear..

Prevention... respect..

Could this have been prevented? Could they have stop the nude babe jumper?

safer to jump from your balcony with a rope around your neck.

Measured in nanoseconds ... how much time do you give it before you start typing?

What is the point of such a ridiculous comment?

I guess this is why anonymity is so important on the internet ... no one could ever publish this under their real name.