An end to 'unofficial fees' charged by Thai officials?

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like several other posters I think this could be a step in the right direction, yes we are all sick and tired of the corrupt practices we see but they will not be eradicated overnight.

It is easy to be negative and cynical, but many of these corrupt practices have been around for years and are endemic within some of the present processes. It will take a concerted effort from this (and future) Thai governments to reduce and then eliminate corruption.

At least we have a government who acknowledge the problem and who are taking the first steps in doing something about it, if anyone thinks it will be a quick or easy fix then they are delusional, real and lasting change may take generations of effort and education to achieve any substantial improvement.

The damage done by previous governments will not be easy to fix, some more patience and less cynicism will most definitely be required...

An end to 'unofficial fees' charged by Thai officials should the headline not be an end to theft by Thai officials, hope they all get transferred to inactive jobs preferably to FIFA they will teach them a thing or two about corruption how to do it right.

As you gave me such a limit to my reply, RICE SCAM.

Can I squeeze in G2G?

You are right, the junta did stop the rice scheme.

Unfortunately they replaced it with a similar scheme for rubber farmers.

And are now thinking about another one for palm oil farmers.

So how will the officials get back at this new ruling?

One officer manning the desks with a kilometer long queue while the other 7 relax out the back?

Thainess.

coffee1.gif

This is Poi Pet immigration I assume?

In my 8 years here,... to my surprise, I can't recall ever paying any "extras" for anything. Not even a driver's licence (which anyone with half a brain can get legally)

The only time I've been subjected to extra "fees" in this neck of the woods is at Laos and Cambodia immigration at the land borders.

So how does this new law affect the average expat?

Can I squeeze in G2G?

Was it announced as a vote-buying populist policy?

Is it supposed to corner the world market and reap a fortune, guaranteed by the world's smartest businessman?

Was it budgeted, or some vague announcement that the agriculture bank will carry the debt until the profits arrive?

Have losses reached the billions of baht yet?

Just what are the similarities you allude to?

The next coup , instead of being staged by the red buffaloes for hire,

may well be staged by the millions of government workers who now

have been restricted in their access to tea money... Am sure their

anger will know no bounds, especially as their positions have already

been bought....

Can I squeeze in G2G?

Is it supposed to corner the world market and reap a fortune, guaranteed by the world's smartest businessman?

Was it budgeted, or some vague announcement that the agriculture bank will carry the debt until the profits arrive?

The similarities are that the government is buying products that they will store with the hope to raise the current price of the goods, and that it is a populist policy (votes or happiness).

Have the losses reached billions yet?

We dont know as that will only be announced when this government is pushed out, but i am sure it didnt cost so much yet. But the costs will be adding up over time and potentially surpass the costs of the rice scheme. Why? Because there are no checks and balances (again).

Agree on the similarities or will you try to give it another spin?

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

Tell her this Thai way is the cause of road fatality due to licenses bought by unqualified drivers.

Don't blame karma should anything happens to her son. It's the Thai way...

Sorry I find this a little hard to believe

My wifes sister works for a licence department and tells me that the present system of procedure means you need to go through 4 different departments now and each one must be signed off

The photograph is now taken digitally at the office meaning you must attend and be signed off on

and a copy of you computer test results must be attached to the application

Maybe 3-4 years ago this was possible

but today

I find hard to believe

she can not even get her brother a renewal on his current licence with out going throughout the system

Wonder if Chiang Mai immigration will take note as they charge 500 Baht for a residency certificate unless you are willing to wait a month for it?

Bloody Hell Tywais, 500 baht for that is not to bad, are you that poor.

The similarities are that the government is buying products that they will store with the hope to raise the current price of the goods, and that it is a populist policy (votes or happiness).

Have the losses reached billions yet?

We dont know as that will only be announced when this government is pushed out, but i am sure it didnt cost so much yet. But the costs will be adding up over time and potentially surpass the costs of the rice scheme. Why? Because there are no checks and balances (again).

Agree on the similarities or will you try to give it another spin?

I see nothing legally wrong with farm subsidies, although I don't support them. But claiming that relatively small scale farmer support is similar to the rice scam is BS. Yingluk's policy was a vote-buyer, paid for with the people's money. When I start to see world economists mocking the idiocy, warehouses overflowing, farmers rushing to join in, and bankers asking how they are supposed to carry the debt, I'll admit similarity.

Until then you are exaggerating. Potentially passing the B700+billion losses of the rice scam is a fantasy pure and simple. What possible reason could there be for such debt to be allowed to accumulate/

Nothing mentioned about one of the biggest scams with emigration. In Khon Kaen I have tried 2 times for retirement visa and 2 times they say yes but they want 24,000 baht under the counter.

I also know a couple of guys have done a deal with emigration, the emigration put 800,000 baht in their account to show they have this amount and once the visa has been granted they had to pay the immigration person 30,000 baht.

This has been going on for years. But nothing gets done to stop it.

So to stop something they know is going on, and is called unofficial, they have to create a new law?

Amazing Thailand.

Contrast this action with what Thaksin said about tea money being an accepted way...way back when he was PM.

How can corruption not be a widespread cancer with such a PM?

I would love to see a link to an article which shows that Thaksin ever said that.You have any?

What I know is that Thaksin was as corrupt as could be, but he was very busy to weed out the corruption in the ministeries.

He did this by handing a box of CAKES in court to get off the charge ??/ oh yes the Shins were good at it 555 lol

Wonder if Chiang Mai immigration will take note as they charge 500 Baht for a residency certificate unless you are willing to wait a month for it?

Except they are supposed to be free. A day's wages each from a dozen farangs a day is a nice little whack, ask the guy at Samui Immigration, recently demoted and deprived of his tea money.

lol, my step-son just paid 3,000 baht (tea money) to get his drivers licence, just north outside of Phichit.

When I found out that his Mom gave him the money, I was mad a hell. And she said this is the Thai way!

So he did not pass a drivers test?

It's irrelevant to me as I have a work permit. However, quite a few complaints by other members in the Chiang Mai forum though. smile.png

In my 8 years here,... to my surprise, I can't recall ever paying any "extras" for anything. Not even a driver's licence (which anyone with half a brain can get legally)

The only time I've been subjected to extra "fees" in this neck of the woods is at Laos and Cambodia immigration at the land borders.

So how does this new law affect the average expat?

So, do you and the five other people in the world who don't think corruption is a problem in Thailand have monthly meetings or what?

I can't understand this, i got my motorbike and car licence without paying any tea money and i am a farang, could it be that he didn't pass his test and offered the money himself as a bribe to get his licence ? In which case he is in the wrong as well as the official and should get jail time as he is a danger to others on the road.

LOL dream on Thailand - Corruption runs in the blood here - you honestly think a pink manual will change that? you honestly think they wont make up excuses as to why they cant adhere to rules? or go on a mass strike, or slow the system down purposely until it collapses because they didnt have it on their terms, or yes they enforce the rules for a month and then forget about it a month later. the true Thai way!
Try getting safety on the roads sussed out first before trying to recreate the wheel - i think its more important!

I can't understand this, i got my motorbike and car licence without paying any tea money and i am a farang, could it be that he didn't pass his test and offered the money himself as a bribe to get his licence ? In which case he is in the wrong as well as the official and should get jail time as he is a danger to others on the road.

Agreed and farang as well. I also just renewed my 5-year auto and motocycles licenses and there was never a hint of tea money outside of the posted renewal fees for each. It was a painless exercise. Along the same lines I've never had to pay anyone or been hinted to at Chiang Mai immigration outside of posted fees.

Take a photo of the person asking for the 500 baht and see what happens. A tape recorder would be even better. They must be getting nervous by now.