Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

DOes anyone has one?

Used it in the shop and absolutely love it, specially the screen. I know edges do nothing useful. Price is very high compares to S6.

I also notices not all stores have 64GB version of the phone.

Now to the main issue, adroidcentral forum is plagued with threads on a defect in the phone that samsung doesnt admit yet. Accelerometer brakes very quickly after a few days or weeks.There are over 350 people who have gone through this issue of changing phones (which wont happen in Thailand, nobody changes phones here a few days after it is sold). Some had their repaired, some had their changed and it happened again.

Few report that is is caused by overhearing while using rapid charge, though new batch seems unaffected. I plan to wait our a month or so to see what happens. Also rumor has it NOTE 5 will be released in July this year to be ahead of apple (september). I might feature first 4k screen in a phone but also reports coming in it will be 6 inch screen which is way too big for me.

Any inputs from those who have S6 Edge?

I have the S-6 edge for 3 weeks now. Accelerometer still seems OK but I do no not use the fast adaptive charger supplied. The cord is too short so I use an earlier Samsung charger.

However I had to take the phone back after 10 days to get the screen replaced. The Samsung clear view plastic flip case causes scratches and marks to the Gorilla glass due to trapped dirt particles and carrying the phone in the pocket.

I have posted about this already but the thread was moved to the Internet,Computer forum.

Personally I was happy to get the phone repaired (free) rather than a replacement (although it was not offered) as I did not want to go through with the personalised set-up process again.

That reminds me, I still haven't got my money back for the stupid Samsung case.

AIS and Dtac shops have the 64gb version. Been using the gold 64gb from Dtac and can't complain .

The only useful function of the edge thus far has been night clock .

Everything else just works fast but I do find myself missing certain Note 3 functions like dedicated settings button, pen window and action memo.

Choosing and sharing batches of photos was much easier before as well.

Note that the Thai version has the Samsung lens not Sony (girl on shop lies about that) and the phone does get incredibly hot when charging.

I doubt the Note 5 will surface early

I might wait a month or so to see if it blows over. I just switched from dtac to True but true seems to have only 32GB. Surprisingly samsung shop said they dont have. I have read people relaced their phones when they get incredibly hot, last batch delivered in the US does no longer has this problem.

About note 5 it might seems samsung financial stuff isnt going that well. They should be ahead of Apple with 6S and 6s Plus. How are the impressions of edge so far? Comfortable to hold? I tried in the shop and was kind of in the middle, a bit sharp on the edges. What about battery life?

The Edge has a nice feel to it and the screen is beautiful to slide your finger over (no screen protector).

If anything it is too smooth; if you lay it on a table or other surface ensure that the surface is dead level. My phone has slid off 3 times already, Luckily I have carpets so no damage.

Also the edge of the Edge body is very narrow so hard to hold firmly. If you have sweaty hands or in a crowd being jostled I think it will be hard to keep a hold of.

That is why a case is a good idea, but as I have stated already the Samsung clear view case with flap, damages the screen. I have seen no reports about the basic case that covers the back only, so cannot recommend it. I myself am waiting before I buy another case.

As regards charging time, I only need to charge once a day for 2 to 3 hours. A morning charge for me lasts over 20 hours to the next morning with 25 pc charge remaining. Much better than my old Samsung which would barely last 12 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Wanted to ask you, should I jump the ship with S6 Edge or wait for note 5? At first I was in love with S6edge, but after having held it in the hands without a case it felt very uncomfortable. Anyway at the time when I almost decided to go for S6, here in Thailand there isn't 64 GB version of S6 avaliable . S6edge is here 64GB for almost 1000 usd.

I was thinking if I should wait for Note 5? September seems to be a long way off stilllsmile.png I never had note, but used it several times. Idea of stylus is quite nice plus a huge battery, plus a rum our of all in one CPU. However if they increase the size of Note for next version it will be an overkill for me.

Just bought a clear glass 9H cover (thin) from TukCom for 950 baht. 1999 in Central Festival. It covers the sides as well which is what I've been waiting for..

Silicone case on back and tempered glass on front makes me feel a lot more confident. Might even buy the clear view case now that it can't scratch the screen

post-49833-14350496581337_thumb.jpg

Be careful with anything on screen, samsung already acknowledged that many cases and front covers scratch screen.

I decided to wait and see what Note 5 has to offer and if someone said to me (who works for Samsung) it is coming a bit earlier than expected.

I suspect that the 9H film will still scratch because household dust contains quartz particles with a hardness of 7, whereas all glass falls within a range of 6 to 7. I haven't been able to find out the mohs scale hardness of the 9H film, only that it is 9H on a pencil lead scale (where 1H, 2H are very hard pencil leads, and HB is the average).

However I suspect that the film has the attribute of toughness so will not break/shatter easily whereas glass will.

So even though the 9H film offers some protection (and I will probably buy one myself) I still think that the Samsung plastic clear case may be a bad idea. Possibly because the (softish) plastic used seems to catch dirt particles and trap them in one place. These particles then grind away at the opposing surface when the case is jostled around in your pocket. So your 9H film may still suffer damage and need regular replacement. This is my theory anyway.

First I want to point out I just got this phone about 2 days ago so I'm still going through everything, keep in mind i've had a LG nexus 5 and my last samsung galaxy phone was a S3

Pros

Display Resolution - Coming from a LG nexus 5, I can honestly say this is quite a hugh difference in terms of sharpness, color contrast, however to be fair every year we see new hardware upgrades.

Overall features and software - As i'm still trying many things out its hard to give a real answer, however i've played with a few features though but nothing stands out as truly revolutionary if your curious about all the features its best to check out this article.

Neutral

- Super charging for battery, in simple terms charge your battery to full capacity in a very short period of time. I can see really great advantages of this however i am researching to see the effects of battery life on this and the proper way to take care of my battery.

Actual usage - I've found so far eveything is quite fluid has so far not been any hang ups however read my con part about the RAM which will effect this

Camera - 16 mega pixels for the rear facing camera, Don't get sucked into the mega pixels here, I've taken photos and they come out really good, however they only look as good due to the display resolution, however there is a drawback for options on what size you want to take photos though the minimum size starts at 2.4 MB, which means taking lots of photos will quickly eat up space -

Battery Life - Hard to say so far as i'm not a heavy battery user. So far its proven ok, However to note there are 2 battery saving features one you can setup whenever battery usage gets to low or there is a Ultra power saving mode which goes to the extreme by making your phone go grayscale and disabling all features, but only saved for a few key apps total only 6 apps

Cons

- Ram usage - Ram usage is quite bad on this phone, when I mean bad it hardly takes much effort to reach 90% of ram usage doing very little and back in april and may it was admitted that ram usage was bad kept in mind you've got 3GB of RAM but its used up very quickly

Samsung confirmed that both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge have memory mismanagement problems which cause them to slow and apps to forcefully close. the root of the problem is likely to be Google. The company admitted to a severe memory leak problem in Android 5.0 Lollipop which it has so far failed to stamp out in 5.0.1, 5.0.2 and 5.1. The Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge currently run Android 5.0.2.

Internal Storage - I went to Jaymart, DTAC, Samsung only the 32GB available no have 64GB version, also keep in mind actual storage is less than advertise because the OS takes up a big chunk of storage actual storage is only over 23 GB. If you factor in the updates, downloading apps, taking photos, music, you'll go down quite quick, I"m already at 21.1 GB which will suit me fine actually. my use for phone is primary reading emails and news.

Annoying issues - it looks like samsung wanted to make sure there was some type of device security its called KNOX however i constantly get notifications from it saying unauthorized actions have been detected, had to get a package manager to disable it.

I hope this answers any questions about this phone so far, i'll keep you guys up to date on anything major that changes. Hopefully once we get a real update that fixes memory issues should be ok, however who knows how long that will be

Be careful with anything on screen, samsung already acknowledged that many cases and front covers scratch screen.

I decided to wait and see what Note 5 has to offer and if someone said to me (who works for Samsung) it is coming a bit earlier than expected.

According to an article I read on "WIRED", Samsung does plan to move the release of the Note-5 ahead and will increase the screen size of the Note-5 to 6 inches from the "4's" 5.7 inches.

Always keep in mind that these advertised screen sizes are diagonal measurements and can be very misleading as to what the actual screen area of the device is.

I try dig into published specs and find the actual length and width of display screens then calculate the actual screen area. There can be surprising differences between 2 phones, both advertised as say, "5.5"

so update for you. You might want to check to make sure you don't have a defective S6 Edge, meaning your phone is running hot. there are many postings about this phone getting to hot. I will have to return my phone to exchange it as after a few days I noticed my phone got quite hot easily. I download CPU-Z and Gsam Battery and many times without doing anything major just reading emails my phone temperature readings got up to 38 C. I went ahead and did a factory reboot on my phone however temperature wise it still go up to 33 C with no effort and hardly any use. From researching s6 edge gets hot from online and a video I saw normal temperatures should be at least 22 C to 30 C. Just thought you guys should know. by the way here is 2 links showing this as well

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/514681-s6-edge-getting-hot.html

Edited by livinthailandos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so update for you. You might want to check to make sure you don't have a defective S6 Edge, meaning your phone is running hot. there are many postings about this phone getting to hot. I will have to return my phone to exchange it as after a few days I noticed my phone got quite hot easily. I download CPU-Z and Gsam Battery and many times without doing anything major just reading emails my phone temperature readings got up to 38 C. I went ahead and did a factory reboot on my phone however temperature wise it still go up to 33 C with no effort and hardly any use. From researching s6 edge gets hot from online and a video I saw normal temperatures should be at least 22 C to 30 C. Just thought you guys should know. by the way here is 2 links showing this as well

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/514681-s6-edge-getting-hot.html

Those temperatures don't sound outside normal ranges to me

The ambient air temperature in bkk is in the thirtys most days so if you're phone is only slightly warmer than that I wouldn't worry

I've seen cpu temperature over 100 playing games and over clocking cpu and gpus and none of them has failed yet from a temperature issue

First I want to point out I just got this phone about 2 days ago so I'm still going through everything, keep in mind i've had a LG nexus 5 and my last samsung galaxy phone was a S3

Pros

Display Resolution - Coming from a LG nexus 5, I can honestly say this is quite a hugh difference in terms of sharpness, color contrast, however to be fair every year we see new hardware upgrades.

Overall features and software - As i'm still trying many things out its hard to give a real answer, however i've played with a few features though but nothing stands out as truly revolutionary if your curious about all the features its best to check out this article.

http://www.mailinmobile.com/blog/60-tips-and-tricks-for-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-lovers/

Neutral

- Super charging for battery, in simple terms charge your battery to full capacity in a very short period of time. I can see really great advantages of this however i am researching to see the effects of battery life on this and the proper way to take care of my battery.

Actual usage - I've found so far eveything is quite fluid has so far not been any hang ups however read my con part about the RAM which will effect this

Camera - 16 mega pixels for the rear facing camera, Don't get sucked into the mega pixels here, I've taken photos and they come out really good, however they only look as good due to the display resolution, however there is a drawback for options on what size you want to take photos though the minimum size starts at 2.4 MB, which means taking lots of photos will quickly eat up space -

Battery Life - Hard to say so far as i'm not a heavy battery user. So far its proven ok, However to note there are 2 battery saving features one you can setup whenever battery usage gets to low or there is a Ultra power saving mode which goes to the extreme by making your phone go grayscale and disabling all features, but only saved for a few key apps total only 6 apps

Cons

- Ram usage - Ram usage is quite bad on this phone, when I mean bad it hardly takes much effort to reach 90% of ram usage doing very little and back in april and may it was admitted that ram usage was bad kept in mind you've got 3GB of RAM but its used up very quickly

Samsung confirmed that both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge have memory mismanagement problems which cause them to slow and apps to forcefully close. the root of the problem is likely to be Google. The company admitted to a severe memory leak problem in Android 5.0 Lollipop which it has so far failed to stamp out in 5.0.1, 5.0.2 and 5.1. The Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge currently run Android 5.0.2.

Internal Storage - I went to Jaymart, DTAC, Samsung only the 32GB available no have 64GB version, also keep in mind actual storage is less than advertise because the OS takes up a big chunk of storage actual storage is only over 23 GB. If you factor in the updates, downloading apps, taking photos, music, you'll go down quite quick, I"m already at 21.1 GB which will suit me fine actually. my use for phone is primary reading emails and news.

Annoying issues - it looks like samsung wanted to make sure there was some type of device security its called KNOX however i constantly get notifications from it saying unauthorized actions have been detected, had to get a package manager to disable it.

I hope this answers any questions about this phone so far, i'll keep you guys up to date on anything major that changes. Hopefully once we get a real update that fixes memory issues should be ok, however who knows how long that will be

I came from a Nexus 5 too, got a 64GB at AIS. Disagree on a few of your points:

- Camera is in a different league. They look much better on a PC too than Nexus 5.

- Much better battery usage

- Faster startup of apps (but agree on lousy RAM mgmt)

- Never any problem with Knox. Did you get malware!

- How can you be neutral on fast charging? It's great!

• 1 month later...