Corruption at all schools

Even though swedish schools are pretty damn bad nowadays they are still light years a head of Thailand and when i did pay taxes in Sweden i paid less for each day at school/daycare for my child. I could in theory move to Finland, get the best education in the world for my children, and still pay less than that each day.

Because yourself or others already paid through taxation... not sure how this is at all relevenant to what I wrote.

Well, let's put it this way...

3000 baht for a normal working thai person is quite a bit of money. For some it might even be a third of their entire monthly salary. So a 3000 baht a month for daycare/school is quite expensive in Thailand. As it is expensive (for Thailand) you would except that your child gets better than average care/schooling. How much a white monkey make or has each month through pension/whatever has no bearing at all if 3000 baht is much for him/her.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Here's another

Started my 3 1/2 year old in what's supposed to be the best kindergarden school in Udon Thani.

3,000 baht per month school fee.

after one month, teacher takes the nanny to the side and says for 3,000 baht per month to her my son will receive "special" treatment.

I just ignored it and the matter dropped.

Previously out in the countryside it was normal for the teacher to do the same in the playschool

Doesn't suprise me

you actually thought you were getting the best schooling possible at the rate of 100 baht per day?

Even though swedish schools are pretty damn bad nowadays they are still light years a head of Thailand and when i did pay taxes in Sweden i paid less for each day at school/daycare for my child. I could in theory move to Finland, get the best education in the world for my children, and still pay less than that each day.

I'm assuming you were educated in Sweden or Scandinavia.........but it seems that the system, however good passed you by.

You arguing back-to-front - You are referring to some sets of figures and mistakenly relating them to confirm your own prejudices.......

finland no longer rates as the "best" (whatever that is) education system in the world and Sweden has slipped but still remains in the top 25....this doesn't necessarily mean drop in "standards" but a raising of standards of competitors.

I also see you are mixing up the idea of "schools" and an education system.....any system by nature of it's size will have both good and bad schools and if like yourself you have little or no knowledge of eduction then it would be very difficult to determine which school is best for your children.

the main problem with these "league tables" - is they generate the football supporter mentality - education is not a competition it is a serious business of raising ADULTS who are rational people who can contribute to their own societies and eve the world in general.

as for you efforts to cost education, well everyone pays - but in general a state system is the preferred method and everyone pays from their taxes - Sweden is noted for it's very high taxes levied on it's citizens and they bear the fruit of this......

those who think they can lie outside the state, pay no taxes etc etc and be "free" - can also reap the benefits of the consequent health and education systems in countries where taxes are low......

in the end when it comes to education "everyone's an expert" - well they aren't! and like any other profession if they aren't part of it they probably know diddly about it.....ye eduction is one of those things that regardless of how little people really know they are determined to voice what they mistakenly believe to be a opinion.

I agree. Education and the evaluation of education is completely subjective and reliant on a huge amount of different factors and values. League tables are only one way of comparing schools and sysytems. In Ireland there are no league tables and schools never compete against each other in terms of exam results. Our system regularly scores higher than the UK even though we are not too worried about exam results. What's important is creating whole individuals who can contribute to society...

Previously out in the countryside it was normal for the teacher to do the same in the playschool

Doesn't suprise me

you actually thought you were getting the best schooling possible at the rate of 100 baht per day?

I'm assuming you were educated in Sweden or Scandinavia.........but it seems that the system, however good passed you by.

You arguing back-to-front - You are referring to some sets of figures and mistakenly relating them to confirm your own prejudices.......

finland no longer rates as the "best" (whatever that is) education system in the world and Sweden has slipped but still remains in the top 25....this doesn't necessarily mean drop in "standards" but a raising of standards of competitors.

I also see you are mixing up the idea of "schools" and an education system.....any system by nature of it's size will have both good and bad schools and if like yourself you have little or no knowledge of eduction then it would be very difficult to determine which school is best for your children.

the main problem with these "league tables" - is they generate the football supporter mentality - education is not a competition it is a serious business of raising ADULTS who are rational people who can contribute to their own societies and eve the world in general.

as for you efforts to cost education, well everyone pays - but in general a state system is the preferred method and everyone pays from their taxes - Sweden is noted for it's very high taxes levied on it's citizens and they bear the fruit of this......

those who think they can lie outside the state, pay no taxes etc etc and be "free" - can also reap the benefits of the consequent health and education systems in countries where taxes are low......

in the end when it comes to education "everyone's an expert" - well they aren't! and like any other profession if they aren't part of it they probably know diddly about it.....ye eduction is one of those things that regardless of how little people really know they are determined to voice what they mistakenly believe to be a opinion.

I agree. Education and the evaluation of education is completely subjective and reliant on a huge amount of different factors and values. League tables are only one way of comparing schools and sysytems. In Ireland there are no league tables and schools never compete against each other in terms of exam results. Our system regularly scores higher than the UK even though we are not too worried about exam results. What's important is creating whole individuals who can contribute to society...

"Education and the evaluation of education is completely subjective" - I'd say that this is not entirely true, but...certainly most of the stuff on this thread is wildly subjective and based on nothing but perception.

The "league tables" that are so often quoted on this site are only one amongst a myriad of tables, harts and assessments........this is a table published by the economist - http://thelearningcurve.pearson.com/reports/the-learning-curve-report-2014 .if you look up "cognitive skills" and compare it to "educational attainment" as a criteria you'll get a different range of countries in their top ten/twenty. However this is just ONE report......to take it as be-all and end-all is just plain stupid.

So the main problem is that most people are NOT qualified to asses educational all - they just have perceptions and prejudices, normally based on their own limited, subjective experience. - (when was the last time they read any academic paper on education!?!?) - most of their impressions come from headlines in the tabloid media..... and individual league tables that are meaningless taken out of context.

Education - "everyone's an expert"

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough I don't recall reading any research papers arguing that 'education and the evaluation of education is completely subjective' and nor would any educationalist argue that that subjectivity was the result of 'a huge amount of different factors and values'. One wouldn't get away with such poor arguments in a first year undergraduate course. Not exactly a good advert for the Irish education system if that is what it is.

Both teachers should have been charged with theft.

So that's 2 examples, how does that make all schools corrupt?

Basically I don't think you understand how an argument is put forward - the argument here is that all schools are corrupt.....the number of incidents to illustrate the argument is not relevant... if one was to argue using your method, one would have to supply several examples for every school in the country.

however this is not how evidence is used.

the examples are an illustration to underline the point which concerns general practices at schools throughout Thailand. quite frankly I think that your approach on this subject actually achieves nothing either way except to show what a poor grasp you have on constructing a reasoned argument.

Basically I don't think you understand how an argument is put forward - the argument here is that all schools are corrupt.....the number of incidents to illustrate the argument is not relevant... if one was to argue using your method, one would have to supply several examples for every school in the country.

the examples are an illustration to underline the point which concerns general practices at schools throughout Thailand. quite frankly I think that your approach on this subject actually achieves nothing either way except to show what a poor grasp you have on constructing a reasoned argument.

Absolutely it's relevant.

To call ALL Thai schools corrupt is totally ludicrous to begin with.

So therefore to not support the idea of all this corruption with no more than a single example from 1 school is hollow, baseless and dillusional.

So therefore to not support the idea of all this corruption with no more than a single example from 1 school is hollow, baseless and dillusional.

No you still don't get it...the hypothesis is that ALL Thai schools are corrupt. The examples are to illustrate the kind of behaviour involved, they are not to be regarded as data.

However if you engage in some critical thinking here, you'll be able to reasonably postulate that this is the norm throughout the school system in Thailand.

To counter this idea by calling for more and more examples is not required, what you need to do is formulate a counter-hypothesis - which is something so far you have patently failed to do.

No you still don't get it...the hypothesis is that ALL Thai schools are corrupt. The examples are to illustrate the kind of behaviour involved, they are not to be regarded as data.

However if you engage in some critical thinking here, you'll be able to reasonably postulate that this is the norm throughout the school system in Thailand.

To counter this idea by calling for more and more examples is not required, what you need to do is formulate a counter-hypothesis - which is something so far you have patently failed to do.

There is no critical thinking required here.

Why? Because the op is so far fetched to begin with and there's no point trying to make sense of it.

But there is room for some logical thinking here, and that is if you don't like the way a schools being run, then leave. Simple.

No point in supporting a corrupt school right? Then you're really just as corrupt as them.

Anyway this thread is old news now. Next.

Doesn't suprise me

"Education and the evaluation of education is completely subjective" - I'd say that this is not entirely true, but...certainly most of the stuff on this thread is wildly subjective and based on nothing but perception.

The "league tables" that are so often quoted on this site are only one amongst a myriad of tables, harts and assessments........this is a table published by the economist - http://thelearningcurve.pearson.com/reports/the-learning-curve-report-2014 .if you look up "cognitive skills" and compare it to "educational attainment" as a criteria you'll get a different range of countries in their top ten/twenty. However this is just ONE report......to take it as be-all and end-all is just plain stupid.

So the main problem is that most people are NOT qualified to asses educational all - they just have perceptions and prejudices, normally based on their own limited, subjective experience. - (when was the last time they read any academic paper on education!?!?) - most of their impressions come from headlines in the tabloid media..... and individual league tables that are meaningless taken out of context.

Education - "everyone's an expert"

I think you really need to take a step back, 're read what you've written,and then look at your last sentence.

No no I want to use totally ludicrous, hollow, baseless and disillusion words in my exaggerated nonsensical argument again, lol.

I've seen about 10 examples from 5 schools, and heard quite few more from friends and colleges, hardly comprehensive but quite, as you say, indicative.

ment here is that all schools are corrupt.....the number of incidents to illustrate the argument is not relevant... if one was to argue using your method, one would have to supply several examples for every school in the country.

There is no critical thinking required here.

Why? Because the op is so far fetched to begin with and there's no point trying to make sense of it.

But there is room for some logical thinking here, and that is if you don't like the way a schools being run, then leave. Simple.

No point in supporting a corrupt school right? Then you're really just as corrupt as them.

Anyway this thread is old news now. Next.

"There is no critical thinking required here." - QED

The corruption at schools is prevalent in the US, too. I just spent five minutes looking up these beauties. The one about the airplane purchse isn't the biggest, but maybe the most laughable (don't give them any ideas).

http://www.parentadvocates.org/nicecontent/dsp_printable.cfm?articleID=7485

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/terry-goddard-filing-petition-place-colorado-city-school-district-receivership

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/2005/11/29/122216-santa-cruz-schools-leader-indicted/

and in the case of the third item, Mr. Conchola was convicted of felony embezzlement, and promptly won re-election to his post.

The corruption at schools is prevalent in the US, too. I just spent five minutes looking up these beauties. The one about the airplane purchse isn't the biggest, but maybe the most laughable (don't give them any ideas).

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/terry-goddard-filing-petition-place-colorado-city-school-district-receivership

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/2005/11/29/122216-santa-cruz-schools-leader-indicted/

and in the case of the third item, Mr. Conchola was convicted of felony embezzlement, and promptly won re-election to his post.

I can never see the point of alluding to examples from another country as they don't in any way mitigate or justify the corruption in Thailand.

I can never see the point of alluding to examples from another country as they don't in any way mitigate or justify the corruption in Thailand.

Totally agree. It makes the poster look stupid as opposed to contributing anything. It's systematic corruption here. It's a mind set..

Totally agree. It makes the poster look stupid as opposed to contributing anything. It's systematic corruption here. It's a mind set..

"5 minutes" of his life he will never get back........

If you can't see at least a little humor in a rural school district buying an airplane, than you probably aren't worth the 100 THB per hour you make.

I worked in a school for a few years and usually at the start of both semesters new equipment would appear in the directors main office. The usual, flat screen tv's, laptops and once a massage chair. Surprisingly after a day or so they where never be seen again. Also over the time I was at the school the director must of changed cars 3 or 4 times and always brand new, with red plates. Now people could say I am talking BS but I am going out on a pretty strong limb here and believe that these items were not purchased with the directors money but more likely what comes from the government budget each semester plus the extra that is drummed up at parent meetings to supposedly build or improve a part of the school.

I know what I saw and it was very clearly corruption and not only with the director but other members of the board as well as of course they want their nose in the trough too.

Yeah, I have seen TVs etc delivered to a department head's office, where one stays in the bosses office, one in his house ( I lived next door) and the others... God knows where; definitely not in the classrooms I saw. It was also a bit weird that he had a projector and screen from the school to play Karaoke at his house when I couldn't get one to use for the students.

I worked in a school for a few years and usually at the start of both semesters new equipment would appear in the directors main office. The usual, flat screen tv's, laptops and once a massage chair. Surprisingly after a day or so they where never be seen again. Also over the time I was at the school the director must of changed cars 3 or 4 times and always brand new, with red plates. Now people could say I am talking BS but I am going out on a pretty strong limb here and believe that these items were not purchased with the directors money but more likely what comes from the government budget each semester plus the extra that is drummed up at parent meetings to supposedly build or improve a part of the school.

I know what I saw and it was very clearly corruption and not only with the director but other members of the board as well as of course they want their nose in the trough too.

Yeah, I have seen TVs etc delivered to a department head's office, where one stays in the bosses office, one in his house ( I lived next door) and the others... God knows where; definitely not in the classrooms I saw. It was also a bit weird that he had a projector and screen from the school to play Karaoke at his house when I couldn't get one to use for the students.

What a coincidence....a lot of expensive wood sitting at our school for new buildings just ran, or properly flew away.

Hmm, I'd never even think that the wood's now in the director's new house, or will be used for it. Teachers of the same school used their pick up trucks to "deliver" the packages to the guy with the doctor title himself. My ex- neighbor, an old Thai friend wrote all the stuff for his Doctorate.

A very common practice when teachers are buying something is to double, or triple the amount on the bill and shop keepers seem to know that and usually charge 5 % of the "fixed amount." Aren't we all one way the other corrupt?

Let's say, I offer somebody 200 K to get somebody off this planet. Of course would most people say no.

But what if I'd offer $ 200 million in cash? It might be a strange example, but money is most of the time the cause for corruption.

Let's just say corruption might not be at ALL schools, but at MOST schools.

"Let's say, I offer somebody 200 K to get somebody off this planet. Of course would most people say no.

But what if I'd offer $ 200 million in cash? It might be a strange example, but money is most of the time the cause for corruption. "

That is an appallingly bad example of corruption.

At a large EP in Suratthani I had two Ss who failed the final in science and hadn't shown enough production to even consider any sort of "over-ride".

The admin told me to shorten the exam to 20 questions, I did that. Still failed. Then it was down to 10 questions, failed. Then I see the two in her office, they're making kaleidoscopes from colored paper. I ask what they're doing, " This is their final exam", she said.

At the end of the semester I was told to give the Ss a passing mark, in the middle 70s. I refused. I was told my final check would not be ready until these two passed with a 75. I refused, went to a lawyer and case was closed within the next two weeks. My contract wasn't renewed .. oh boo hoo.

At a large EP in Suratthani I had two Ss who failed the final in science and hadn't shown enough production to even consider any sort of "over-ride".

The admin told me to shorten the exam to 20 questions, I did that. Still failed. Then it was down to 10 questions, failed. Then I see the two in her office, they're making kaleidoscopes from colored paper. I ask what they're doing, " This is their final exam", she said.

At the end of the semester I was told to give the Ss a passing mark, in the middle 70s. I refused. I was told my final check would not be ready until these two passed with a 75. I refused, went to a lawyer and case was closed within the next two weeks. My contract wasn't renewed .. oh boo hoo.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do comes to mind. Sorry, but they did warn you in a not too bad way, bear in mind that they went through the same educational system and never failed.

It's unfortunately a rule in the teaching circus profession in Thailand. I just don't understand why you didn't get the message? Did you dislike the two kids for whatever reasons? I'm just asking because I don't think that only two students would fail an assignment in form of a test.

Maybe you're so professional that you failed your own school director's kids? gigglem.gif

They finally pleased you ( basically it was an order) to give them a better grade, but you still refused to do so? bah.gif

And then to make you look like a complete idiot, you went to see a lawyer about two kids' grades? Just wondering what the lawyer thought about you..whistling.gif .

Of course was the case closed within a short period of time and you still seem to think that you are the winner of this really incredible procedure.

Could I go to the Sates and tell everybody that they've to stop calling football soccer from now on? Or would they call me a sucker/m-fagger, etc..? facepalm.gif

You don't mention the age of the students, so maybe making a kaleidoscope was appropriate for their age group ?

"I did China after Thailand. I came back after 6 months, landed in BBK and kissed the ground. " seems you don't like Thailand that much ;-)

"I don't know what smart is, I haven't a clue what intelligence is, but I do know it's not a test score. " But you based the student's whole semester on just their test score ? (I know you said they did not produce much, but presumably they did produce something).

You don't mention the age of the students, so maybe making a kaleidoscope was appropriate for their age group ?

"I did China after Thailand. I came back after 6 months, landed in BBK and kissed the ground. " seems you don't like Thailand that much ;-)

"I don't know what smart is, I haven't a clue what intelligence is, but I do know it's not a test score. " But you based the student's whole semester on just their test score ? (I know you said they did not produce much, but presumably they did produce something).

They were M6.

God you assume a lot, have you gone native too? While in Rome. Next time I go to Afghanistan I think I'll behead someone.

What makes a lot of this odd to you guys is that I arrived by invitation, I wasn't a social outcast in my country, I don't do hoz and don't drink much, don't need a Third Word wife either, YOU YOU.

I didn't accept the invitation to teach corruption. Just as Thais in my country - and there's plenty of them - don't have to love baseball and hot dogs to collect their pay without seeing a lawyer.

Doesn't it just make good sense, a kid studies hard and gets an A, the others pick their noses and scam all day long and get an A? You know we don't leave our socialization in a locker at the BKK airport as we arrive. I assume many of you blokes have learned to accept the Thai way cause you got nowhere else to go.

I love this board! Reading the replies gives me a sense of normality and sanity.

They were M6.

God you assume a lot, have you gone native too? While in Rome. Next time I go to Afghanistan I think I'll behead someone.

What makes a lot of this odd to you guys is that I arrived by invitation, I wasn't a social outcast in my country, I don't do hoz and don't drink much, don't need a Third Word wife either, YOU YOU.

I didn't accept the invitation to teach corruption. Just as Thais in my country - and there's plenty of them - don't have to love baseball and hot dogs to collect their pay without seeing a lawyer.

Doesn't it just make good sense, a kid studies hard and gets an A, the others pick their noses and scam all day long and get an A? You know we don't leave our socialization in a locker at the BKK airport as we arrive. I assume many of you blokes have learned to accept the Thai way cause you got nowhere else to go.

I love this board! Reading the replies gives me a sense of normality and sanity.

Honestly you come across as a bit of a <deleted>!

Your remarks " What makes a lot of this odd to you guys is that I arrived by invitation, I wasn't a social outcast in my country, I don't do hoz and don't drink much, don't need a Third Word wife either, YOU YOU. "

Who invited you?

You came all the way to Thailand to be a social outcast. Different!

You can't seem to finish a sentence properly.. After 'don't need a Third Word wife' it should be , YOU YOU YOU.

PS: Thailand isn't third world. It's a developing country.

Struggling to become a Third World country.

It's just great how you guys move so quickly to defend Thailand. Is there any Thai there who'd defend you? I didn't live in a box while I was there. I met plenty of people, a famous webmaster for a Thai-based website as an example, who live there 15 years and only had one (1) Thai friend he could depend on. I had none! My best friends, Englishmen mostly, had none. Drinking mate sure, friends, no. One married a Thai girl, took her to Newcastle where she dumped him. It's their education brethren, it sucks.

I'm no psychologist but I took a class once smile.png .. Many of y'all have come to accept and even get teary-eyed over the virtues of Thai life, when in fact you're not really wanted there. The border runs, give me a break! The fact you have to have a fortune in the bank to retire there doesn't tell you anything? If they wanted you they'd be a little more supportive and accommodating, don't you think? My Mexican visas last a year and I'm unemployed, unmarried. Don't have to report to anyone.

You probably already know, Farang doesn't mean foreigner, it means, not Thai. Doesn't that tell you something?

Edited by 1900

Struggling to become a Third World country.

It's just great how you guys move so quickly to defend Thailand. Is there any Thai there who'd defend you? I didn't live in a box while I was there. I met plenty of people, a famous webmaster for a Thai-based website as an example, who live there 15 years and only had one (1) Thai friend he could depend on. I had none! My best friends, Englishmen mostly, had none. Drinking mate sure, friends, no. One married a Thai girl, took her to Newcastle where she dumped him. It's their education brethren, it sucks.

I'm no psychologist but I took a class once smile.png .. Many of y'all have come to accept and even get teary-eyed over the virtues of Thai life, when in fact you're not really wanted there. The border runs, give me a break! The fact you have to have a fortune in the bank to retire there doesn't tell you anything? If they wanted you they'd be a little more supportive and accommodating, don't you think? My Mexican visas last a year and I'm unemployed, unmarried. Don't have to report to anyone.

You probably already know, Farang doesn't mean foreigner, it means, not Thai. Doesn't that tell you something?

One married a Thai girl, took her to Newcastle where she dumped him.

Maybe because she found somebody her age, who didn't look like her granddad?

My best friends, Englishmen mostly, had none. Maybe because they had you as a friend?

Struggling to become a Third World country sounds strange. Are you from the Second World?

Okay, many a man has been dumped once she's secure in her new country.

You sure assume a lot, you even know the ages of these people, but it's me who comes off as a cvnt.

Look, if y'all are happy with your illusions of Thailand, go for it.

I just Wikied Thai Internet censorship. Have a look! Now there's a progressive nation (kingdom)! cheesy.gif Want to know what's censored here? Nothing!

There are two activities I as a foreigner can't participate in; I can't vote or run for political office. How about you? Is everything you own in your wife's name? biggrin.png