British tourist reportedly raped in Kanchanaburi

Thaivisa News

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing they save it just for foreigners though, or there'd be domestic crime too. Thank God bars on every entry point can be made to look so attractive that everybody just smiles in los, like they're all just gates of heaven, or should that be haven.

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

You just did blame the victim.
Why do holiday makers think they can wear a bikini in when on holiday.
Why did the man have his money in his pocket when he was drinking.
Why did the girl smile and chat with the taxi driver.
It is your attitude that continues to give excuses to violent behaviour.
She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.
Maybe they offered her a ride back to the hotel.
She did nothing wrong.
This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.
Edited by silent

Every day Thailand is losing more and more tourist by these low life no respect for life barbarians. It is the governments fault for letting so many Thai men Beat and disrespect there wives and girl friends. I believe it is two late for the government to correct these people because it is normal in Thai and not enough punishment if they are caught. 500 baht fine bu-l shit!

I think there is a lot of truth in this, I once attempted to intervene when I saw a Thai man punching his girlfriend but the Thais I was with thought I was insane.

IT IS NOT OK FOR A MAN TO VIOLENTLY HIT A WOMAN IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Generally it is not ok for anyone to violently hit anyone, unless it is in self-defense or in defense of the innocent. For example, if I had a child and I came across a man or woman sexually molesting my child, I would pound the daylights out of him/her to the best of my ability, and ask questions later.

Intervening in a dispute between a couple in any country is almost always a bad idea. I've seen the same situation happen over and over - the couple, who were violently fighting moments before, both turn on the intervener and kick the crap out of him/her.

Victim blaming: She was dressed as a slut so she had it coming.

Common sense: You shouldn't walk alone and drunk in the middle of the night in a remote area in a third-world country because it is dangerous.

That's the whole point mate! Most gormless foreign travelers haven't got a clue. They think Thailand is a safe holiday country because that's the image Thailand puts out. Did you ever see this stated on a holiday brochure; Come to Thailand, Land of Smiles, where your life is in danger. Foreigners think it's safe here. That's why they keep coming.

And is it even reasonable to blame people for being intellectually challenged? We simply can't blame people for being stupid. It should be bloody safe in tourist areas. There should be more BiB patrolling the streets and protecting tourists. We call that re-investment of their tourist $$. This problem is part of the larger problem of this country; greed and corruption and not to forget the mentality of the braindead mofo's who thought it was quite ok to rape and rob this unaware tourist.

A message to unaware foreign women travelling to Thailand; Thailand is not the country it was 10 years ago where a solo backpacking woman could travel safely . You should be aware at all times for scam artists and male predators. Only travel in groups and never walk alone after dark. I recommend to carry a taser or pepper spray in your handbag

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

I agree with you on every point. But always have my doubts about Thai newspaper reports...... ??? The reporters sometimes assumes some things like the girl been drunk... Witch is very possible, but in many cases it's just not true....I have personaly witnessed (first hand ) a few stories in Thailand. and when I saw the newspaper reports later it was all a pack of assumptions and lies.....and just a little bit of the story was true...they sometimes invent some witnesses to give more credibility to there shady story's.....

I'm very sorry of what happened to this girl and hope she will get over it without further damage.

And hope the rapists get caught and severely punished....

Best regards, Off Road Pat.

Every day Thailand is losing more and more tourist by these low life no respect for life barbarians. It is the governments fault for letting so many Thai men Beat and disrespect there wives and girl friends. I believe it is two late for the government to correct these people because it is normal in Thai and not enough punishment if they are caught. 500 baht fine bu-l shit!

I think there is a lot of truth in this, I once attempted to intervene when I saw a Thai man punching his girlfriend but the Thais I was with thought I was insane.

Generally it is not ok for anyone to violently hit anyone, unless it is in self-defense or in defense of the innocent. For example, if I had a child and I came across a man or woman sexually molesting my child, I would pound the daylights out of him/her to the best of my ability, and ask questions later.

Intervening in a dispute between a couple in any country is almost always a bad idea. I've seen the same situation happen over and over - the couple, who were violently fighting moments before, both turn on the intervener and kick the crap out of him/her.

Just human nature I think, especially when you have daughters. Have intervened on two occasions in the UK, bloke went for me so I knocked him down and sensibly he stayed down, other time the bloke just stopped and walked away, woman was very grateful, got her in a taxi home.

Victim blaming: She was dressed as a slut so she had it coming.

Common sense: You shouldn't walk alone and drunk in the middle of the night in a remote area in a third-world country because it is dangerous.

That's the whole point mate! Most gormless foreign travelers haven't got a clue. They think Thailand is a safe holiday country because that's the image Thailand puts out. Did you ever see this stated on a holiday brochure; Come to Thailand, Land of Smiles, where your life is in danger. Foreigners think it's safe here. That's why they keep coming.

And is it even reasonable to blame people for being intellectually challenged? We simply can't blame people for being stupid. It should be bloody safe in tourist areas. There should be more BiB patrolling the streets and protecting tourists. We call that re-investment of their tourist $$. This problem is part of the larger problem of this country; greed and corruption and not to forget the mentality of the braindead mofo's who thought it was quite ok to rape and rob this unaware tourist.

A message to unaware foreign women travelling to Thailand; Thailand is not the country it was 10 years ago where a solo backpacking woman could travel safely . You should be aware at all times for scam artists and male predators. Only travel in groups and never walk alone after dark. I recommend to carry a taser or pepper spray in your handbag

Not blaming people for being stupid - just pointing out their mistakes and hoping others will pay attention and learn. We might not be able to help them but their example may serve to warn others.

I agree that the promotional materials for Thailand aren't encouraging people to be more careful. OTOH, The Hangover Part II grossed a quarter billion dollars in the USA alone. As much as I'd hate to say it, the movie was much more realistic than the marketing/promotional materials e.g. the sappy "I Hate Thailand" video:

Yes, it should be bloody safe in tourist areas. And, as I mentioned before, we should also all have personal leprechauns with rainbows, four-leaf clovers, and an endless pot o'gold. Unfortunately, reality needs to be taken into consideration. Even in a wealthy country like France, criminal gangs have taken over many tourist areas such as the Eiffel Tower.

I hope everyone pays attention to your message!

Good thing they save it just for foreigners though, or there'd be domestic crime too. Thank God bars on every entry point can be made to look so attractive that everybody just smiles in los, like they're all just gates of heaven, or should that be haven.

She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.

She did nothing wrong.

This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.

You're Quote, "Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here".....

Yes they do, It can really ruin a holiday if you're passport or credit-card is in there....

As for Thailand been the most dangerous country for tourists in the world ? you haven't been anywhere ells have you ?

Try Caracas in Venezuela, ciudad Juarez And Acapulco in Mexico, Cape town, South Africa, Rio De Janeiro Brazil....Just Google the most dangerous tourist places in the world...! Thailand never makes the list.....

Best regards. Off Road Pat.

Edited by off road pat

How do you abduct someone on a motorcycle? Who holds her down if she is being held against her will?

Maybe one to drive the bike, her in the middle, and one on the back to hold a knife to her neck! Entirely possible as I've seen up to 5 Thais on a motor bike before!

If you ever find yourself bleeding out on the floor having being stabbed multiple times by a woman I'd like you to think about the above statement in your final moments.

Fair point, I'm Hoping I'd never find myself looking to get beat up by any woman.

Edited by longstebe

Two Thai Men Arrested for Allegedly Raping British Tourist

By Khaosod English

KANCHANABURI — Police say two men are under arrest for raping a 19-year-old female British tourist in western Thailand earlier this week.

The sexual assault took place in Kanchanburi province on 26 May, said Pol.Maj.Gen. Kamolsanti Klanbut, commander of the provincial police force. The victim has already returned to her home country, he said.

Rumor about the alleged rape spread across the province, a popular tourist destination, and was reported by a number of media agencies yesterday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1432886892

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-05-29

Well done to the police to solve it so quickly!!clap2.gif

Sadly they only get their fingers out, when a crime catches interest on social media!!

Hi Folks,

I have been living in Kan for a few years now and have never heard of Nanachart Road in Kanchanaburi.

Do they mean Mae Nam Khwae (Kwai) road as Nanachart in Thai means International.

Win

Hi Folks,

I have been living in Kan for a few years now and have never heard of Nanachart Road in Kanchanaburi.

Do they mean Mae Nam Khwae (Kwai) road as Nanachart in Thai means International.

Win

I saw the group I assume she was with outside the bar that says something like "Sugar members only", at about 01.00, is that the road you refer to?

Two Thai Men Arrested for Allegedly Raping British Tourist

By Khaosod English

KANCHANABURI — Police say two men are under arrest for raping a 19-year-old female British tourist in western Thailand earlier this week.

The sexual assault took place in Kanchanburi province on 26 May, said Pol.Maj.Gen. Kamolsanti Klanbut, commander of the provincial police force. The victim has already returned to her home country, he said.

Rumor about the alleged rape spread across the province, a popular tourist destination, and was reported by a number of media agencies yesterday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1432886892

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-05-29

Well done to the police to solve it so quickly!!clap2.gif

Sadly they only get their fingers out, when a crime catches interest on social media!!

Well done to the police to solve it so quickly!!" - "solved"? That's a bit strong isn't it? All we know is the police have apprehended 2 men they allege to be the perpetrators.........

The politically correct crowd are out again condemning a poster for suggesting she contributed to the situation in which she found herself.

What she received can never be condoned in any country/society, but wandering around pickled in a different country and city, can at best, be described as imprudent at best, and downright foolish at best. Even doing it in her home country would be ill advised.

I wouldn't do that in my home country, and I'm a male, with a few skills in self defence, and offence if necessary. I certainly wouldn't do it in Kanchanaburi, or Bangkok or Nong Khai, etc.

So whilst I'm not saying she should be blamed, I think she should have been a little/lot more aware of her actions and surroundings.

"The politically correct crowd" - as soon as you use that little soundbite anything that follows has no credence at all......what people usually do now is get a quopte from Google and try to pretend the know what "PC" means - as you have used it already we know you don't.....

It is wonderful that TV can be judge and jury without a trial. If a crime is proven, the perpetrators should be severely punished. But I believe there are actually documented cases of someone being falsely accused before? Whether the girl is naive, drunk, mentally challenged, or whatever, she does not deserve to be assaulted in any way. But everyone is automatically assuming she is like Snow White and is incapable of telling a lie? TV members would make very a very biased jury.

Where does it say the biker gang was Thai...?

Also, this even happens in the nanny states, bikers all over the world make a point of raping, its a male chauvinistic culture that endorses abuse and objectification of women... this happens often even in the most highly "nannied" states... bikers are just scum with a delusional sense of entitlement and a perverted perspective on life, values, fellow human beings and society !

Having reported the crime proves well for the young lass... don't let these pathetic thugs have the better of her... !

When the OP doesn't mention race, religion, or country of origin, it is almost always a Thai involved. They love to bash farangs, but you usually have to dig when the alleged criminal is a Thai national.

all up until they will arrest the scapegoat that is a Burmese or a animal from Cambodia, since we all know that No Thai would do such a terrible thing.....

Ummm......its always the British being targetted.

When you read the contempt shown here for basic precautions you understand why
My 18 year old daughter will never walk alone at night. But maybe it's because she is not British?

I am sorry for deviating from the main topic of this thread. Rape in any form can never be condoned. But I must take issue with the above post, and from the vitriolic comments with regard to motorcyclists, which sadly does not appear to have been picked up on, that it is dopenhagen himself or herself that has the perverted perspective on life.

Yes there are motorcycle gangs (mainly reported in the USA) that perpetrate many crimes, including rape. But the other 99.99% of motorcyclists are responsible members of society, and include members of the British and other Royal families. My own local motorcycle club in the UK has raised many thousands of pounds for worthwhile charities, including hospices, air ambulances, and to help many individuals and sick children in the area. My local club is only one of such clubs that throughout the UK and no doubt the world that does this. To suggest as motorcyclists we are all rapists or potential rapists is an insult to all motorcyclists, and as said previously indicates what a narrow and perverted perspective the poster has on life himself (or herself)

Been riding bikes since I was 16 - 54 years ago, Still riding and enjoying the freedom and exhilaration and now after just being informed I've beaten bladder cancer, looking forward to more extensive touring in Thailand, with a long tour of Cambodia planned.

It is such a shame that Thai Visa has such bigots as members

Oh please.... Nobody with two brain cells to rub together thinks 'biker gang' when you tell them you are a member of a motorcycle club.

By the same token, it doesn't take much more intelligence to work out that it was neither a biker gang nor a bunch of motorcycle club members that raped this girl. It was a bunch of opportunistic juvenile delinquent yobs on scooters.

PS. Good work with beating the Big C.

She did nothing wrong.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but Thailand is very, very, far away from being the most violent against foreigners. You might want to travel more before making this statement. I feel safer here than in 30 different countries. South Africa you can not be out after dark. Caracas, even with police with machine guns every 30 feet, is filled with thieves. Go to Tijuana or Juarez. You will catch the next plane back to Thailand for safety.

Absolutely, not to mention Haiti, Jamaica, and the Dominican republic. when I was growing up in Kenya we used to tent and camp in the game reserves, now you need an armed escort to visit most places.

She did nothing wrong.

You just don't understand. This is a classical argument often misunderstood. He did not blame the victim. No one would. He just made the point that you need to be careful, at home and abroad. Promoting a false sense of expected security, like you are doing, does not prevent future crime. It is just very easy to complain about the country. Instead people should be a little more realistic. Crime is rampant in Thailand. There is an abyss between seemingly rich foreigners and a majority of locals that just get by. There is clear alienation. Locals dislike tourists out of jealousy and contempt, and many tourists do a good job at being disliked. They see Thailand and act as if it was just a playground for their escapades where locals are just a necessary nuisance. Well, you would not go on holiday to Iran with your friends and get drunk in the streets, would you? So pay attention: be aware of your surroundings and act accordingly.

errrrrr hold on thats what Thailand is and always will be for the vast vast majority of tourists, get back to reality

all up until they will arrest the scapegoat that is a Burmese or a animal from Cambodia, since we all know that No Thai would do such a terrible thing.....

Every day the Thai television shows rape and murder crimes committed by Thais on Thais.
Then it may be time to put your ridiculous conspiracy theory muted.