Bangkok Bank BeWorst Card

To answer the OP's concern, you have to activate the card's Verified by Visa security feature. Usually you do this the first time you make a purchase online.

It is a combination of using the automated prompt @ bkb customer service # to get a reference code + online registration

https://ipay.bangkokbank.com/bblenroll/bkkCard.aspx?pg=0

Then once your card is registered, anytime you make a purchase online that requires VbV, you'll be directed to a special co-branded page with Visa and Bkb's logo to request/input a one-time pin (OTP) from your cell phone. Then redirected back to the merchant's page.

Use thai mobile phone topup 50 baht or so to test it once you are finished registering.

This separate link also provides an overview: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/BualuangiPay/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by 4evermaat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer the OP's concern, you have to activate the card's Verified by Visa security feature. Usually you do this the first time you make a purchase online.

It is a combination of using the automated prompt @ bkb customer service # to get a reference code + online registration

Then once your card is registered, anytime you make a purchase online that requires VbV, you'll be directed to a special co-branded page with Visa and Bkb's logo to request/input a one-time pin (OTP) from your cell phone. Then redirected back to the merchant's page.

Use thai mobile phone topup 50 baht or so to test it once you are finished registering.

This separate link also provides an overview: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/BualuangiPay/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for this. I'm not sure at which point this convoluted process should start though. From the iPay page -'Bangkok Bank’s Bualuang iPay provides extra security for online purchases. Every time you purchase online with your Bangkok Bank Credit or Be1st Debit card, Bangkok Bank will send you a unique, time-specific One Time Password (OTP) via SMS to your mobile phone – this password will be entered into the check-out page to complete your transaction'.

Are you saying I must contact your first link and fill in the form before I attempt to purchase? The Bualuang iPay seems to imply an SMS is sent whenever you attempt to purchase online, same as their ATM/balance alerts.

Bearing in mind online purchasing forms make no provision for anything other than the card number/card name (Be1st doesn't show your name on it's card) and shipping address only, I'm confused as to the process. A bullet point would be helpful biggrin.png Thanks thumbsup.gif

Thanks for this. I'm not sure at which point this convoluted process should start though. From the iPay page -'Bangkok Bank’s Bualuang iPay provides extra security for online purchases. Every time you purchase online with your Bangkok Bank Credit or Be1st Debit card, Bangkok Bank will send you a unique, time-specific One Time Password (OTP) via SMS to your mobile phone – this password will be entered into the check-out page to complete your transaction'.

Are you saying I must contact your first link and fill in the form before I attempt to purchase? The Bualuang iPay seems to imply an SMS is sent whenever you attempt to purchase online, same as their ATM/balance alerts.

Bearing in mind online purchasing forms make no provision for anything other than the card number/card name (Be1st doesn't show your name on it's card) and shipping address only, I'm confused as to the process. A bullet point would be helpful biggrin.png Thanks thumbsup.gif

VbV is something the online merchant can elect to require from their customers or they can refuse the card. It just adds an additional security step in the online purchase process; VbV does not affect physical swipe terminal or ATM transactions. You enroll your debit card ONCE at this link: https://ipay.bangkokbank.com/bblenroll/bkkCard.aspx?pg=0 This is only for Bangkok Bank; each bank will have its own [similar] signup procedure.

Then once you enroll, you shop online like you normally do. When you checkout, you enter your card details and address details like any other shopping cart. The merchant will usually say 'We use VbV/MC SecureCode or you might see. But you'll know for sure if you get redirected to the VbV/SecureCode page. It is a separate page from the merchant checkout page. You will then be prompted to request a OTP that you will receive via SMS to your phone. You enter this OTP in, and once OTP is accepted, your card will be charged or rejected at that point and then you are redirected back to the merchant page.

Almost all online merchants that target Thai market will have VbV switched on.

So to review,

1) Enroll each separate debit/credit card into VbV, You'll need a mobile phone to complete this. You only enroll ONCE per card. Each bank has their own signup portal. Bangkok Bank: https://ipay.bangkokbank.com/bblenroll/bkkCard.aspx?pg=0

1.5) [optional] Do a test purchase at an online merchant you know uses VbV.....the Thai mobile carriers online portals all do this. Minimum topup denomination is usually 50 baht.

2) Shop online like you normally do. Enter in credit card info at checkout page.

3) One of the checkout pages will redirect to a separate VbV page for you to request/enter a OTP sent to your mobile phone.

4) If OTP is successful, your card will then be processed for payment (approved or declined). If OTP fails, you won't be processed at all.

5) redirected back to merchant page with further steps or thank you page.

The test purchase will help you see the entire process so you are familiar with it.

Can I know if we can pay online directly with a Bangkok bank visa card or do we have to enable Internet use at ATM first, just like Kasikorn ? Thanks.

You should be able to use it straight away. 2 things to double-check if you have a problem:

1) make sure to set the spending limit. It can be set to ZERO or a lower amount like 5,000 baht. You can use the automated phone prompt to check/change the spending limit. Note daily ATM withdraw limit and daily spending [purchase] limit are 2 separate limits.

2) some online payment gateways require Verified by Visa (see previous 3 posts)

Edited by 4evermaat

This is like many internet discussions. Lots of information, but difficult to get to the facts and actual answers. Be 1st Smart(Visa) is the card I was given for ATM's to use with a passbook. I also got a Mastercard - that is more of a credit card. My issue is getting the ONLINE banking set-up and to do transfers between accounts and other online banking. I am fairly new to Thailand. My second long term stay. I am learning and getting an education daily in so many ways. I am still trying to figure out the best way to get money from the USA to here at the best exchange rate and lowest costs. I just went back to reread and have tried to by a few things from Amazon, but many of what I was looking for could not be shipped here. So the adventure continues, but it is a great ride and journey. It helps to have a friend speak Thai at the Bank and they TRY VERY HARD to be helpful and get it done, but I am often at a loss exactly what and why and I sign so much stuff and give them my passport for copies WAY TOO MANY TIMES for comfort to do any large transactions, but they did HELP and get a transfer done to buy a small condo........but again had help along the way with a Thai Paralegal. Somehow things get done, but the how is always an adventure.

Steve, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your advice about taking a "friend who speaks Thai" with you to conduct banking business. As a newcomer, you've got to figure out these things and not rely on a "Thai friend" telling you "sign here", and "give them this much money", etc. Thai friends can be especially unreliable assistants for helping you navigate banking and immigration if they don't have the appropriate English vocabulary or knowledge themselves. Has your Thai friend actually lived overseas, opened bank accounts, transferred funds internationally, etc?

Bangkok Bank has an excellent website and many, many branches that are foreigner-friendly with English-speaking staff who can explain their products to you.

EDIT: I see you mentioned using a Thai paralegal to assist in funds transfer to purchase a "small condo". Oh dear. I hope you aren't investing more in Thailand than you can afford to lose. Hiring a professional paralegal is a certainly a better move than relying on a "Thai friend" you met socially, but you shouldn't be paying a paralegal to help you figure out less complex transactions.

Edited by NancyL