When were work permits first introduced here ?

The only regulation I know of preceding the 1978 act is the wonderfully named Announcement No. 322 of 1972 of the Revolutionary Party concerning the employment of aliens. The 1978 act replaced this. I have found references to a Occupational and Professional Assistance Act of 1941 that seems to have had provisions on migrant workers. I suspect that, prior to this date, permission to reside in Thailand would have been conditional, with one of the factors being whether you were conducting business, carrying out missionary work and so one. Criteria would have been informal. I could be wrong.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

The only regulation I know of preceding the 1978 act is the wonderfully named Announcement No. 322 of 1972 of the Revolutionary Party concerning the employment of aliens. The 1978 act replaced this. I have found references to a Occupational and Professional Assistance Act of 1941 that seems to have had provisions on migrant workers. I suspect that, prior to this date, permission to reside in Thailand would have been conditional, with one of the factors being whether you were conducting business, carrying out missionary work and so one. Criteria would have been informal. I could be wrong.

Wonderful guys, Thanks.

Wow-WHAT A PLACE.Thailand is so laid back one even needs a permit to do work.????Now I understand.

Australia is a pretty laid back place !

Suggest you try working in Australia without the required visa/permit !

• Like 1

knew a guy once who had a work permit for life.....said right on it. he had opened the very first dive shop in Pattaya......i met him in the mid ninties and he was sixty plus then.......he had been here since the Vietnam war.

Edited by NickJ
  • Like 1

In 1973 I was assigned to the personnel services unit of USARSUPTHAI at Camp Samae San, near Sattahip. We had a guy applying for separation in-country, which was authorized at the time. It was quite interesting. He described the same Catch-22 scenario that many later expats suffered. He had specialized electronics skills that met the legal requirement that he could only be hired if he didn't displace a Thai, but the Immigration wouldn't grant a visa (as a member of the U.S. military he didn't have a visa, probably didn't even have a passport until he started processing his request) until the Labor Department issued a work permit, and the Labor Dept. wouldn't issue the work permit until Immigration issued a visa. I think he eventually got it resolved, but it was my introduction to the Thai bureaucracy. Anyway, we can be sure work permits were required in 1973. I think they were introduced under Field Marshal Phibul Songkhram, presumably during WWII, but don't know how to check that out.

It was introduced after the foreigners arrived here...

Well, we know there were foreigners here in the fifteenth century (C.E.). The large and influential Bunnag clan, known for their public service for centuries, was founded by two Persian brothers then. They were members of a well established community of foreign traders. The first contact with the Portuguese was 1511. I don't know how you could determine if the Kingdom of Ayutthaya required work permits or not. King Rama IV encouraged a lot of Chinese immigration after 1860 in his effort to move from the corvee labor system of taxation to money taxes, because Chinese had the skills needed. That was also about the time more Europeans came to work as advisers to the King.

Wow-WHAT A PLACE.Thailand is so laid back one even needs a permit to do work.????Now I understand.

Assuming you;re not being facetious (so many posts on TV appear to have to be sarcastic, and yet are not meant to be), what country doesn't require some sort of restrictive permission or documentation for legally employed foreign workers?

As a very young man I worked at the Chulalongkorn hospital.

The visas etc were "fixed" by the Thai Embassy in London .

I recall no problems /difficulties do not remember having to undertake "border runs" or make 90 day reports

I enjoyed that year I spent in Thailand.

It was introduced after the foreigners arrived here...

Since foreigners, mainly Chinese, have been coming here for at least several centuries, that's a fairly safe statement.

If you're referring to 'farang', well, no. When I got my first work permit in the late '70s, most of them as far as I understood at the time were being issued to Asian nationalities. Very few Europeans were working officially here at that time.

knew a guy once who had a work permit for life.....said right on it. he had opened the very first dive shop in Pattaya......i met him in the mid ninties and he was sixty plus then.......he had been here since the Vietnam war.

Yes....I know of this person...I think he was an ex G.I. I arrived here the first time in 1970. In 1970 GI's were allowed to be discharged from the service in Thailand if they had a job and could get a work permit. The PR book back then was 20,000 Baht ($1000). I should have went for it.....Ha Ha!